If someone has an annointing and walks away from the faith?

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm a bit curious about the word "annointing". I don't fully understand it and I've heard it mentioned in certain circles, not that I run in In Real life, but mostly here.
Only recently has somene very dear to me mentioned it concerning someone I'm connected with.

My question is, if someone had an annointing and they walked away from their faith, anger at God for circumstances that happened in their life (Like Jonah), what happens to the annointing?

And is it possible for two people of the opposite gender to be attracted to each other if they both have some type of annointing? I know wierd question.

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God blesses those who keep their focus, trust, and reliance on Him. Without that focus, trust, and reliance, God is limited in what He can do in their lives. Worry about your own focus, trust and reliance. Do not worry about the anointing of others and what happens to it if they choose to neglect to follow God. Worry more about your own path.

And if God wants you to marry someone, they should be Christian and be following God. Simply put.

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anointing . . . What is it, anyway?

In general, it is a special gift, that God has bestowed on someone.
Some people receive an anointing, which causes others to carefully listen to them. This is a good thing for a Pastor to have.

But, this term can be used for ANY special talent a person possesses.

It is used quite a bit in the Charismatic movement.
Usually, it refers to a Healing ability.
For those who believe that Spiritual Healers have a REAL ability to "coax" the Holy Spirit into emotional or physical healings, those people would say that a Healer has an anointing from God (for having this gift).
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now, to Sampa's question: "if someone had an anointing and they walked away from their faith, [for instance] anger at God for circumstances that happened in their life (Like Jonah), what happens to the anointing?"

Maybe nothing at all.

Once God bestows an anointing, it remains.
If God WANTS to revoke it, God can do this -- but in my experience, God (usually) just leaves it going.
Usually, if a person turns away from God, that person (himself) will CHOOSE to not use the power of his anointing.

My personal feeling on the matter is: When God grants the anointing, God knows if the person is going to
1) Use it well, or not;
2) Keep his Faith, or turn his back; and
3) Stop using it, if he turns his back on God.

Frequently, God grants MORE to a person than they actually deserve (OR can handle).
If a person ends up with a powerful anointing, but cannot handle it, this will help others from asking for TOO MUCH from God.

Edit: Sampa also asks: "is it possible for two people of the opposite gender to be attracted to each other if they both have some type of anointing?"
Yes.
I have personally known 2 "anointed" people who have married (so they must have been attracted to each other).

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OP - ask questions - that's one way we learn.

To your question about the anointing - Jonah had a pride issue but I don't know what happens to the anointing when a believer walks away but we need to pray for them.

In regards to people being attracted to each other - I can see where it would happen b/c of similar interests.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God blesses those who keep their focus, trust, and reliance on Him. Without that focus, trust, and reliance, God is limited in what He can do in their lives. Worry about your own focus, trust and reliance. Do not worry about the anointing of others and what happens to it if they choose to neglect to follow God. Worry more about your own path.

And if God wants you to marry someone, they should be Christian and be following God. Simply put.
jawsmetroid, thank you for your thoughts. I agree that God can't use someone whose not willing to be used, especially if sin stands in the way.

Some people receive an anointing, which causes others to carefully listen to them. This is a good thing for a Pastor to have.

For those who believe that Spiritual Healers have a REAL ability to "coax" the Holy Spirit into emotional or physical healings, those people would say that a Healer has an anointing from God (for having this gift).

Now, to Sampa's question: "if someone had an anointing and they walked away from their faith, [for instance] anger at God for circumstances that happened in their life (Like Jonah), what happens to the anointing?"

Maybe nothing at all.

If God WANTS to revoke it, God can do this -- but in my experience, God (usually) just leaves it going.
Usually, if a person turns away from God, that person (himself) will CHOOSE to not use the power of his anointing.

My personal feeling on the matter is: When God grants the anointing, God knows if the person is going to
1) Use it well, or not;

Frequently, God grants MORE to a person than they actually deserve (OR can handle).
If a person ends up with a powerful anointing, but cannot handle it, this will help others from asking for TOO MUCH from God.

Edit: Sampa also asks: "is it possible for two people of the opposite gender to be attracted to each other if they both have some type of anointing?"
Yes.
I have personally known 2 "anointed" people who have married (so they must have been attracted to each other).
Solidlyhere, thank you for your insight. There's quite a bit that spoke to me. Thanks for your explaination of Annointing and the possibllities. The man I am thinking of has a ministerial license (but I won't disclose the church because it would cause some debate). HE walked away from God in Spring 2005, I wasn't there for this and knew him for a short time but saw things happening to him that had my head scratching. And when someone mentioned annointing, after I read one of his poems he wrote about a manipulative church, it got me curious.

Can you or anyone explain what an annointing for intercession would look like? What about those churches that believe in handling snakes or drinking poison (again go ahead a skip this question if you feel lead to debate)? Is there an annointing for prophecy or do any of the spiritual gifts get more of an annointing? Can you explain emotional healings? I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions because the term is fairly new to me.

Solidlyhere, can you explain what you meant by this?
" Frequently, God grants MORE to a person than they actually deserve (OR can handle)."

OP - ask questions - that's one way we learn.

To your question about the anointing - Jonah had a pride issue but I don't know what happens to the anointing when a believer walks away but we need to pray for them.

In regards to people being attracted to each other - I can see where it would happen b/c of similar interests.
tturt, thanks for your thoughts. Thanks for pointing out Jonah's pride issue. He's the only one I can think of, besides Judas that walked away in the bible. I'm sure there's others.

On prayer, yep, the guy I mentioned, I spent 2 months in prayers I've never prayed after we severed ties. I never expected I would hear from him again, but believed him to be a prodigal. I've met also men that were more apostates, who cursed God at every mention of his name too.

The curious thing is, quite a few times I meet the men years after they have walked away from a ministry call or faith (some of them being pastors sons).

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sampa asks me: "Can you ... explain what an annointing for intercession would look like?"

Sure.

It might look like nothing.

Intercession means: Do it for someone else.

It is used in Christianity to mean: Have someone pray FOR you (that is, instead of you actually praying).

When
1) a person asks me to pray for her, and then
2) I -- in fact -- DO pray for her,
3) I have interceded for her.
So, I may pray for her Mom, or a sick relative, or for someone to have peace in a crisis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In common usage, the "gift of intercession" means: A person who can pray (powerfully) for someone else ... and his prayers are somehow heard better by God, and then these prayers are (more or less) acted upon by God.

Catholics have a special version of intercession.
They believe that they can ask people in Heaven (called Saints) to pray for them to Jesus Christ. The theory is: The Saints have lived a "good" Life, and they are now living in Heaven (with Jesus) . . . so their prayers (in my name) have a stronger chance of being fulfilled.

This is a good analogy to a person with the gift of intercession.
When he prays for you, it can turn out a lot better than if you just pray alone.
That God has blessed him with the power to be "heard" in Heaven a lot LOUDER than when I pray.

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sampa asks about a strange Christian rite: "What about those churches that believe in handling snakes or drinking poison."

Yes, I can speak to this.

Since the time of Christ, people have drank poison, to prove the protecting power of God.
Many years after Jesus Christ rose up into Heaven, and Peter and Paul went there too, Apostle John was schemed against by jealous people, wanting to end his preaching. He was handed a cup of wine (laced with poison). He drank it. Nothing happened.

When other Christians heard about this, some of them (obviously the MOST Faithful of the Christians) re-created the scene. Poof.
They didn't die either.
So, for nearly 2000 years, a few strongly Faithful Christians have made this religious rite their Ultimate "badge" of True Faith in Jesus Christ to protect them from all evil.

Now, I move up into the 1980s.
There was a documentary about people in Church playing with poisonous snakes, and drinking poison.
It was on "60 Minutes."
As I watched it, I was fascinated about it.
They read the Verse about being protected, then they reach into a pile of rattle-snakes, pluck one of them up, and praise God for several minutes, while dancing around, and holding the snake close enough to bite them.

Wow. My friend David also saw this on TV.
He called the Church, and talked to their Pastor.
He explained the long history of the Practice, and invited Dave to come there, and see it for himself.
Dave made his reservations, and 2 weeks later he arrived for their Sunday service.

Sipping poison . . . and dancing with snakes.
Dave gathered up his courage one time the Pastor came by with a snake.
He held out his left arm, directly in front of the rattler, and praised God for a whole minute (he passed on the cup of poison).

I see this phenomenon as proof that when people gather together, and expect God to "perform" a wonderful service, that their expectations make it True. (Ask, and ye shall receive.)

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sampa asks: "Is there an annointing for prophecy?"

Yes.

This is prevalent in the Church of Christ.
One parishioner will be anointed with Prophecy.
Some Sundays, he will call a prophecy out during the service.

Outside this, MANY people are anointed.
It may be that some people only think that they are so blessed.
Of all the Gifts of the Spirit, this one is tricky to tell when it is really happening.
Sometimes it's God speaking, and other times it is my vivid hope talking.
That quiet still Voice of God is difficult to discern.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Maybe nothing at all.

1) Use it well, or not;

Yes.
Great post:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well, how deep can we go on anointing?

Samuel searched and followed HIM and found David to anoint him. And what happened to David after all the anointing. What a rough ride he had.

I desired the spiritual gifts, and HE gave them to me. I am no more anointed than anyone else who has the same spiritual gifts given to them.

An anointing is an anonting. There is no "benchmark", the same as for "faith". There is no measuring stick for any such thing.

He said to me one day, "With natural eyes, you see natural things. With spiritual eyes, you see spiritual things. I now give you your spiritual eyes!"

Now I see things that others wouldn't see, but my anointing is no better than another person who has spiritual eyes.

They will see one thing and I'll see something else.

When we claim HIS anointing, we need to be very wary that what we believe it is HIS anointing, when in fact it may be SELF-anointing.

If you walk away from faith, then your anointing will still be there, because it is a GIFT from GOD, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Salvation is a GIFT, and even though you backslide, you don't lose your salvtion, but you may still lose your eternal life.

So, what's the question again? Are you afraid of losing your eternal life?

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sampa asks: "Is there an annointing for prophecy?"

Yes.

This is prevalent in the Church of Christ.
One parishioner will be anointed with Prophecy.
Some Sundays, he will call a prophecy out during the service.

Outside this, MANY people are anointed.
It may be that some people only think that they are so blessed.
Of all the Gifts of the Spirit, this one is tricky to tell when it is really happening.
Sometimes it's God speaking, and other times it is my vivid hope talking.
That quiet still Voice of God is difficult to discern.

Is there an annointing for prophecy or do any of the spiritual gifts get more of an annointing?

There is annointing for prophecy it's important to be annointed for it in my opinion.

Thanks SolidlyHere and Godslilgurlalways for your thoughts:)

Well, how deep can we go on anointing?

Samuel searched and followed HIM and found David to anoint him. And what happened to David after all the anointing. What a rough ride he had.

I desired the spiritual gifts, and HE gave them to me. I am no more anointed than anyone else who has the same spiritual gifts given to them.

An anointing is an anonting. There is no "benchmark", the same as for "faith". There is no measuring stick for any such thing.

He said to me one day, "With natural eyes, you see natural things. With spiritual eyes, you see spiritual things. I now give you your spiritual eyes!"

Now I see things that others wouldn't see, but my anointing is no better than another person who has spiritual eyes.

They will see one thing and I'll see something else.

When we claim HIS anointing, we need to be very wary that what we believe it is HIS anointing, when in fact it may be SELF-anointing.

If you walk away from faith, then your anointing will still be there, because it is a GIFT from GOD, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Salvation is a GIFT, and even though you backslide, you don't lose your salvtion, but you may still lose your eternal life.

So, what's the question again? Are you afraid of losing your eternal life?
Elijah2, thanks for your thoughts. Interestingly I came across the story of David's annointing this morning. And noticed that it left Saul and an evil spirit was put in place of it, at which it was through David he was able to calm his spirit. But yes, I find it interesting how the annointing caused God's spirit to come upon him mightly.

Salvation is definitely a gift from God. I only kind of questioned if the guy I'm thinking of actually became saved because it happened through a Oneness doctrine, but I don't want to get into debate here. I posted it in the charasmatic section to get more appropriate responses in that area.

Not at all, this guy, in 2005 seemed to go through a time of doubt. You can also read a little about him in 3 post of my blog, just go to my profile. I called him Ben for privacy sake. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Other thoughts on this are welcome also from others.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thanks SolidlyHere and Godslilgurlalways for your thoughts:)

Elijah2, thanks for your thoughts. Interestingly I came across the story of David's annointing this morning. And noticed that it left Saul and an evil spirit was put in place of it, at which it was through David he was able to calm his spirit. But yes, I find it interesting how the annointing caused God's spirit to come upon him mightly.

Salvation is definitely a gift from God. I only kind of questioned if the guy I'm thinking of actually became saved because it happened through a Oneness doctrine, but I don't want to get into debate here. I posted it in the charasmatic section to get more appropriate responses in that area.

Not at all, this guy, in 2005 seemed to go through a time of doubt. You can also read a little about him in 3 post of my blog, just go to my profile. I called him Ben for privacy sake. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Other thoughts on this are welcome also from others.
Yep the oneness ministry, is "we are one" theme, is that correct?

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep the oneness ministry, is "we are one" theme, is that correct?
Umm I think you thinking of Universalist. ONENESS as in United Pentecostal chruch INternational. "Jesus only" doctrine. I can send a link if your not famliar....but am pretty sleepy right now.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Annointing is serious stuff, once 'annointed' it stays even if a person sins, or walks away or makes a big mess as Saul did, the annointing stays....and so does the accountability and the heavy human consequences for such a person of un-repented sin (again see the example of Saul)

Tis a VERY serious thing , this is not something to undertake lightly without much thought, a great deal of prayer.
I will shut up before I get 'heavy' as this is something I take very seriously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Annointing is serious stuff, once 'annointed' it stays even if a person sins, or walks away or makes a big mess as Saul did, the annointing stays....and so does the accountability and the heavy human consequences for such a person of un-repented sin (again see the example of Saul)

Tis a VERY serious thing , this is not something to undertake lightly without much thought, a great deal of prayer.
I will shut up before I get 'heavy' as this is something I take very seriously.
Thanks for your thoughts vespasia, it gives me something to reflect on. I spent 2 months (May & June 06) praying for him. Before that I was scratching my head wondering what was going when he was in pure rebellion. It's like he intentionally was ignoring stuff going on around him, I've never seen anything like it.

I think I'm starting to get more of a grasp of what Annointing means.
Anyone with scripture verses or examples would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Have a read of 1 Samuel in the OT. Start at Chp 8 and read on Saul is annoited in Cp 10 goes astray in 13 and ends up resenting David.

Compare this to the annointing of David and whilst David was utterly human David loved God and repented..

Both Saul and David where men of God and annoited as Kings but their human actions and decisons carriued consequences as the responisbity they took on at the time of annointing was very great.

(this is something I am still thinking upon myself, something to do with those God annoints may nmot be harmed by man without consequences but that does not mean that God cannot dish out consequences and chastise his own if they will NOT repent and return to the call that needed them to be annointed in the first place.)

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

chvysb350

Nov 1, 2007
Spearman, Texas
✟15,502.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a bit curious about the word "annointing". I don't fully understand it and I've heard it mentioned in certain circles, not that I run in In Real life, but mostly here.
Only recently has somene very dear to me mentioned it concerning someone I'm connected with.

My question is, if someone had an annointing and they walked away from their faith, anger at God for circumstances that happened in their life (Like Jonah), what happens to the annointing?

And is it possible for two people of the opposite gender to be attracted to each other if they both have some type of annointing? I know wierd question.
The word annointing means to rub in. The Holy Spirit simply gets close enough to "rub elbows" with you. He is like a friend (only way closer) if you hang around with someone you are likely to pick up some of them in you. I believe that this is one way we are changed to His image. With the annointing comes the traits of God that we often call gifts. They are what the spirit does, and are also a reflection of who he is. Being that he rubs these traits into us, I guess it may be possible for us to operate without him if we choose to leave. There is the story of those who came to Jesus in heaven and said that they performed various acts of mercy and Jesus said "get away from me I never Knew you"

Upvote 0