If no Bible translation is perfect then do we really have Gods word?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If there are mistakes then we cannot understand the message, it is garbled. The Bible is free of mistakes because every word is exactly what God intended. These words are in the form written by humans, but they are nevertheless God's word.
Then explain Mark 16:9-20, which does not appear in the oldest Greek manuscripts.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then explain Mark 16:9-20, which does not appear in the oldest Greek manuscripts.
This is not the kind of mistakes I'm talking about, of scribes adding things after the fact or spelling variations.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is not the kind of mistakes I'm talking about, of scribes adding things after the fact or spelling variations.

So which are correct, the Greek manuscripts that lacked those verses or the Greek manuscripts that include them? These aren't verses that were added by some Medieval scribes.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So which are correct, the Greek manuscripts that lacked those verses or the Greek manuscripts that include them? These aren't verses that were added by some Medieval scribes.
These verses were not written by the Mark, original writer.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
These verses were not written by the Mark, original writer.
Yet some say that they were written by Mark, that they were from a fragment of another letter by Mark.

Are you saying that we should rely on your opinion in determining what is and is not authentic?

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yet some say that they were written by Mark, that they were from a fragment of another letter by Mark.

Are you saying that we should rely on your opinion in determining what is and is not authentic?
I'm not the only one to claim this. I'm merely repeating what the scholars have determined.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not the only one to claim this. I'm merely repeating what the scholars have determined.

Except Biblical scholars haven't reached agreement on this issue. One source--available here: Apologetics Press--states that "the reader of the New Testament may be confidently assured that these verses [Mark 16:9-20] are original—written by the Holy Spirit through the hand of Mark as part of his original gospel account."

Upvote 0