If no Bible translation is perfect then do we really have Gods word?

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Can we trust a Bible with mistakes?
Can we trust any Bible 100%?
Which Bible/s can we trust?
What does it mean when God said he will preserve his word?

What are your thoughts?

(no kjv onlyism)
Did you trust Billy Graham even though he wasn't inerrant? I did.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

What are your thoughts?

(no kjv onlyism)
If YHVH writes TORAH on someone's heart, does YHVH make any mistake at all ?

Did YHVH make a mistake revealing SALVATION and everything pertaining to SALVATION in this world and in the life to come to infants ? (AS JESUS PRAISED HIM OUT LOUD FOR ! FOR SUCH IT IS HIS GOOD PLEASURE ! ) .

WHEN YHVH granted revelation understanding to PETER and the other Apostles and the disciples, understanding of HIS WORD ,
did YHVH make a mistake ?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Did you trust ***** ****** even though he wasn't inerrant? I did.
If anyone googles him and 'freemason' and false gospel, they won't. (if they love the truth and read what they can confirm.)
(what conservative BAPTISTS exposed and revealed)

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟319,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes we have God's Word. Yes, there are translations that can be trusted, but know that they are off on minor things, "prove all things, hold fast that which is good" 1 Th 5:21 Instead of only having one Bible as a resource, we have several translations. Some are better than others in some places. If you don't understand something in one, read it in another and it may become clearer. I don't know of a perfect Bible that is 100% accurate, but even an old toothbrush may have bristles missing, but that doesn't mean it can't get the job done.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The Tenakh, Torah, the Bible the Jews have used for over 2000 years,
the
same Bible that Jesus , Joseph and Mary listened being read every Sabbath,
the same Bible that all the Apostles and disciples who walked with Jesus on earth
listened to every Sabbath, and studied and memorized,
YHVH'S WORD,
has not changed in over 2000 years - it is still the same, unchanged.

And remember, the Apostles all preached and proved from that Bible (the Old Testament) that Yahshua is MESSIAH .

Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

What are your thoughts?

(no kjv onlyism)

Interlinear Bibles, literal translations like the LEB (combined with any other ones you like for clarity from different wordind), and of course just learning ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek to read the text as-is.

Upvote 0

Own Martin Jr.

Mar 10, 2018
Libmanan
✟7,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is originally written in Hebrew (Aramaic). If you can understand Hebrew language, its better for you to read Hebrew Bible, but if you cant, you may resort to reading a Bible translation that is closed or directly translated from the original Hebrew text. There are several translations available.

Another thing that you can do is if you are going to read stories from the Bible, try to read it from 3 different translations if you can. Example is you read from 3 different English translations of the Bible. In that way you can compare the contents if they are the same. Maybe all of the 3 have the same translation or only 2 have similar while the other 1 has a different translation.

Besides, I'm still encourage you to still read the Bible. For an easier way to read the Bible, check this out...

Wanna know the secret for a happy living???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What are your thoughts?

(no kjv onlyism)

I haven’t yet come across any evidence of a copy error or similar kind of error that produces some kind of significant conflict in the texts. I have seen particular translations of some verses used mistakenly to make fairly significant points though, nothing very specific but generalising from an ambiguously worded translation to ‘instruct’ on Christian behaviour and attitudes. I think the best antidote to that is to use different translations/commentaries/go back to the original language etc.

Getting to grips with the bible is an adventure I think, mainly about the living of it but also developing an understanding of the original cultural, historical and personal context of each book is fascinating in itself. I think the main thing to bear in mind is that the bible is mainly about right relationship, towards God and towards each other, rather than having a series of set understandings of this or that issue.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Die_Eberesche

Mar 2, 2018
Northumbria
✟9,202.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Labour
I've always believed that the essence of God's inspiration is inherent in the words of the Bible but that - in our sinful and erring nature - man has (not corrupted but) "fumbled" the scriptures and made mistakes. Essentially the Word is present when Christ comes to us during our reading of the scriptures and our faith allows us to perceive and interpret the more esoteric elements in the way that He intended.

Just my humble opinion.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Complete in Thee

Jan 10, 2018
:)
✟37,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Bible is originally written in Hebrew (Aramaic). If you can understand Hebrew language, its better for you to read Hebrew Bible, but if you cant, you may resort to reading a Bible translation that is closed or directly translated from the original Hebrew text. There are several translations available.

Another thing that you can do is if you are going to read stories from the Bible, try to read it from 3 different translations if you can. Example is you read from 3 different English translations of the Bible. In that way you can compare the contents if they are the same. Maybe all of the 3 have the same translation or only 2 have similar while the other 1 has a different translation.

Besides, I'm still encourage you to still read the Bible. For an easier way to read the Bible, check this out...

Wanna know the secret for a happy living???

Aramaic is a different language to Hebrew.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think God has protected the Scriptures. A long time has passed and not that much changed. Even though they relied on scribes to write manuscriots etc.

I am focusding on reading other translations at the moment. I have not the time to learn greek and hebrew. One day maybe. Reading a few translations means we are able to get a broader understanding in places when the original word has a fuller meaning than what we have has it translated too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wet Squirrel

Mar 9, 2018
Barczewo
✟1,125.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What are your thoughts?

(no kjv onlyism)

Bible is written in such way that even if you wanted to destroy few verses or remove chapters it will still contain message because it's spread around all books .

for OT you can use LXX translation , when Jesus was alive most Jews spoke greek and they used greek language for daily reading so they came up with LXX translation because not all Jews could read hebrew , Jesus called LXX "Scriptures" meaning that he validate them as not corrupted .

If you do not trust Jesus you have bigger problem than finding a good translation .

New Testament is more tricky part but i believe KJV is accurate .

Reactions: Aino
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are different Hebrew and Greek manuscripts and they all conflict with each other in different areas.

Do you have some specific examples? Nothing too general please, generalisations just waste a lot of time in these kind of short post threads.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have been involved for the last 5 years in a very deep study on "textual criticism".

So far, what I have gleaned is this:

No translation is 100%. The only one(s) that we know for sure were the ones originally penned by the Prophets and Apostles themselves. They, for whatever reason, have been lost to time.

Does that mean we should stop? Absolutely not.

Each and every translation contains a few elements of texts that are disputed. (i.e.: Mk. 16:9-20).

It is debatable as to whether or not this text is "original". Now I'm not here to debate that, my position is my position.

Then there is the debate on the Comma Johanneum. When Erasmus issued his first addition, it was missing. When debate ensued, a MSS was found that gave some support, but that MSS only dated to the 12th century.

Now, to the heart of the matter.

What we do know for sure is that the "core" doctrines that make up what we call Christianity, can be found in all translations.

They all agree on them.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0