If Jesus had jumped off the temple, what would have happened?

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad he didn't jump, but I am wondering what would have happened if he had.

Would God the Father have saved him from hitting the ground?

I always wonder about things like that - hypotheticals and such.

Jesus was divinity, but still had choices and still faced temptations.

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

At the risk of a roundhouse kick from Chuch Norris (looks anxiously over shoulder) I'd say that IF Jesus had jumped, whether He had landed splat on the ground or was saved by the Father would have been irrelevant.

By jumping, He would have obeyed Satan, in effect becoming subject to him and would have sinned against God. Then salvation would have failed, (unless Chuck could somehow get Satan to release us.:D).

Praise God He didn't jump!!!

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do you mean, could Jesus have sinned? That is an interesting topic for discussion.

~Jim
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This type of question opens up alot of other questions. Did God have a plan for mankind? Knowing the end from the beginning could He have prevented the fall? Was the fall part of His plan? Could Eve have resisted temptation and us all still be sinless to this day and thereby not need a Saviour...what would the world look like? Was the fall part of God's original plan? Why did God create a creature that He knew would be evil and cause so much destruction?

If we hang on technicalities we will find no answer to these questions.

If we however look at it in a simplistic way...that God is love and He created beings capable of giving and receiving love (or failing to do so) then it all makes more sense...even Satan's existence makes more sense.

Instead of asking...what would happen if Jesus jumped...instead ask...what would happen if God did not love wholly, perfectly and completely.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i think Peter gave us the answer to that question when he jumped out of the boat, ready to walk on water just like Jesus. He was doing fine until he took his eyes off Jesus, and noticed the waves all around him. then Jesus reached down and pulled Peter up, so that he didn't drown.

so yea, i think the same thing would have happened to Jesus if he had jumped. Jesus would have been just fine until he realized that he was walking on air. then God would have pulled him up and sat him back on his feet, and remarked something about how His faith was lacking.

Only in Jesus' case, He put His faith in what God said, not in what satan said, so He knew when to stay put and when to step out. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the point of temptation if one "cannot" give in to it?

God can not be tempted. I would think that this Jesus loving his Father would be like his own Dad and couldn't really be tempted either. Is this to say that all isn't so fair? We can be tempted and Jesus could not? Jesus must be tempted for things to make sense. Why would he tell us that he conquered and that we were also to (by following his Gospel); if he couldn't be tempted? So being the son of man and the son of God, Jesus could be tempted, but it wasn't possible to follow through. He had the love of God in him. We too can have this love in following the Gospel of Jesus! Now, Jesus is asking us to conquer as he did. Allow this love of God to be in us and grieve not the Holy Spirit in us, then temptation and the Devil will flee! I have no problem believing in my super hero and loving him forever. Isn't he yours as well? It is good that you see Jesus as human and thus able to be like all real humans, but real humans, aren't they the ones that don't die or do evil, for real humans are the ones saved by God and not destroyed, since they will be the only really remaining ones.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
God can not be tempted. I would think that this Jesus loving his Father would be like his own Dad and couldn't really be tempted either. Is this to say that all isn't so fair? We can be tempted and Jesus could not? Jesus must be tempted for things to make sense. Why would he tell us that he conquered and that we were also to (by following his Gospel); if he couldn't be tempted? So being the son of man and the son of God, Jesus could be tempted, but it wasn't possible to follow through. He had the love of God in him. We too can have this love in following the Gospel of Jesus! Now, Jesus is asking us to conquer as he did. Allow this love of God to be in us and grieve not the Holy Spirit in us, then temptation and the Devil will flee! I have no problem believing in my super hero and loving him forever. Isn't he yours as well? It is good that you see Jesus as human and thus able to be like all real humans, but real humans, aren't they the ones that don't die or do evil, for real humans are the ones saved by God and not destroyed, since they will be the only really remaining ones.

I'm not in disagreement with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Honestly? I think creation would have unraveled and we wouldn't be here to talk about it.

If Jesus had sinned, He would have ceased to be perfect. Which means He would have ceased to be God. Which means God would cease to be God. Which means He would no longer be holding creation together. Without Him, nothing would exist.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I guess it's similar to what happened to people before Jesus came. Salvation at that time was for Jews, by faith, through grace, it just involved a lot of animal sacrifices.

(as a side note, chuck norris was born in a log house he built using only his hands and roundhouse kicks)

Upvote 0

bluemarkus

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
somewhere on google maps
✟17,853.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
if he was illiterate and after "ultra-spiritual" experiences, he would have jumped after the motto "hey a spirit just spoke to me, that must have been god (d´uh)". since he was able to read and reason, he didnt jump because he knew what kinda sucker was talking to him.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
if he was illiterate and after "ultra-spiritual" experiences, he would have jumped after the motto "hey a spirit just spoke to me, that must have been god (d´uh)". since he was able to read and reason, he didnt jump because he knew what kinda sucker was talking to him.

:scratch: So the only reason Jesus didn't sin is because he could read?

That's foolish. Being able to read doesn't guarantee that a person won't be deceived. Being unable to read doesn't guarantee a person will be deceived.

Upvote 0