Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you Lilly, i had to google the word bereaved. Did you lose someone you loved? Im sorry to hear that. Your words are encouraging. I sometimes listen to the thoughts in my head because they can make sense. I thought of something a friend of mine once told me, that you can make sense of anything and everything if you try to regardless of how ridiculous it is. So i need to remember his words and try to disregard these ideas and thoughts. I tell myself that in this battle, that i have not lost a loved one or something like that, so as bad as it feels, it could be worse.
Hi,
yes, my husband died of throat cancer. I know that when you are vulnerable, evil spirits will surround you. It is they who urge people to do bad things,they who whisper to you to think your life is worthless. When you find yourself going downhill, just say the Lord's Prayer. Then continue praying in a clear voice aloud, asking Jesus Christ to protect you from all evil, to strengthen you and give you peace.
you can have a good life filled with light and live and look forward to an eternity if happiness, if you accept Jesus as Lord and saviour and guide. X

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am a critical thinker and skeptic about most stuff.

Are you critical and skeptical about your skepticism? You should be.

So in other words, i dont have some bias against God, i have learned that i am just all around critical thinking.

Critical thinking is only good to a point. I don't know all that is involved in keeping aloft the planes that soar overhead. I can't explain every little detail of the mechanisms that allow the planes to fly. But this doesn't mean I can't claim that planes fly. Some people, though, get so caught up in being skeptical and critical that if they can't explain every little thing about God, they think they can't claim that He exists. It would be silly to take this line with planes and it is equally silly to do so with God.

Theres so many stories in the Bible i dont think i can believe or that dont make sense to me.

Well, if God created the universe out of nothing (and mainstream science supports the claim that He did), then surely none of the other supernatural events of the Bible are particularly remarkable. Why should God and the supernatural events of Scripture have to make sense to you? Since when did you become the final arbiter of what is and isn't possible and true? Can you explain what energy is, exactly? Can you explain precisely how we are able to love, and philosophize, and make jokes? I doubt it. Does this mean, then, that energy doesn't exist or that humor is an illusion?

Up to that point i believe as historical truth. After that ive read theories and how there was no other way but that he really did die and come back. But my mind is just so volatile that i cant just take it as true and be done with it.

See above.

I would recommend you read "Cold Case Christianity" by J. Warner Wallace. His book will show you the fallacious reasoning that is behind your overactive skepticism.

I want to believe i am in this mess so that i can be taken out by God, so that i can once again search for him, but this time find Him.

You are in the mess of doubting that you are in because you have entirely too high an opinion of your capacity for skepticism.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I struggle with major depression. To the OP, have you ever tried anti-depressants? They do help some people although you may have to try different types before finding one that helps. I also would encourage you to see a therapist, and it may also take a while before you find one you feel comfortable with.

To get help with my depression, the first step I took was going to my doctor and explained my symptoms, who then was able to get me in touch with someone to describe anti-depressants. I am not sure where you live but I assume the process is similar.

Please don't let people dissuade you from medication or therapy if you feel they could help you. I am a Christian and feel God has used both medication and counseling as a form of answered prayer for me. In fact I credit Him as being a big reason of why I didn't commit suicide during my first major bout with depression.

And there's a difference between depression you feel during the grieving process and clinical depression. Clinical depression is a valid illness that needs treatment. Just like any physical illness.

Upvote 0

MCA

Heartfelt Stranger
Apr 10, 2013
Houston
✟26,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I struggle with major depression. To the OP, have you ever tried anti-depressants? They do help some people although you may have to try different types before finding one that helps. I also would encourage you to see a therapist, and it may also take a while before you find one you feel comfortable with.

To get help with my depression, the first step I took was going to my doctor and explained my symptoms, who then was able to get me in touch with someone to describe anti-depressants. I am not sure where you live but I assume the process is similar.

Please don't let people dissuade you from medication or therapy if you feel they could help you. I am a Christian and feel God has used both medication and counseling as a form of answered prayer for me. In fact I credit Him as being a big reason of why I didn't commit suicide during my first major bout with depression.

And there's a difference between depression you feel during the grieving process and clinical depression. Clinical depression is a valid illness that needs treatment. Just like any physical illness.

I have my first therapy session today with a new place that specializes with the disorder that i have, the depression etc i feel comes from the disorder i have, i was recommended medication but turned it down, when i tried to go back and get some, they turned down my prescription, this new place im going to today, i am going to mention meds and what kind i should take, my depression and horrendous thoughts are usually stronger in the morning when i wake, by 1 or 2 pm i have worked up so much mental dread that i vomit and somehow get into an exhausted state, for the remainder of the day my mind kind of stays tired and doesnt really think at all which is how im able to cope, i also live next door to my parents so as soon as i go home i don't even change clothes and go straight to my mom, i even sleep next to her now. I have never been through anything this hard in my life.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have my first therapy session today with a new place that specializes with the disorder that i have, the depression etc i feel comes from the disorder i have, i was recommended medication but turned it down, when i tried to go back and get some, they turned down my prescription, this new place im going to today, i am going to mention meds and what kind i should take, my depression and horrendous thoughts are usually stronger in the morning when i wake, by 1 or 2 pm i have worked up so much mental dread that i vomit and somehow get into an exhausted state, for the remainder of the day my mind kind of stays tired and doesnt really think at all which is how im able to cope, i also live next door to my parents so as soon as i go home i don't even change clothes and go straight to my mom, i even sleep next to her now. I have never been through anything this hard in my life.

When I was in my early twenties I struggled very badly with anxiety, obsessive-compulsiveness, and depression. I would go days without sleeping; I couldn't swallow properly, it felt like I was choking most of the time; I would have panic attacks one after the other 'til I thought I would die; I felt like I couldn't ever get a full breath of air; it was as though I was slowly smothering to death; I pondered suicide frequently and my mind raced along the same track of anxious, fearful thoughts again, and again, and again. I was absolutely miserable! This was thirty years ago and it never occurred to me then to seek out a therapist or get some drugs to control my psychological state. I had, though, the advice of some wise Christians to whom I disclosed my issues and as I began to approach things from a spiritual and biblical angle, I gradually came free of all that was afflicting me. It was slow going; I had spent a long time setting myself up in the bad situation I was in. It took a couple of years to get well and truly free of it all. But free I became as I took seriously the truth, principles and wisdom of God.

How did I get free? Well, here's what I had to do:

1. Learn to trust God no matter what. (Job 13:15 - "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.")
2. Learn to interrupt my bad thinking with God's truth. (Ps. 1: Phil. 4:8)
3. Learn to wage spiritual warfare. (2 Cor. 10:3-5)
4. Learn to love God. (Matt. 22:36-38)
5. Learn to live in submission to the Holy Spirit all the time. (Ro. 12:1; Ja. 4:7; 1 Pe. 5:6)

I'm still working on every one of these things, but I have come a fair way since my early twenties and the evidence of this is that I live free of the obsessiveness, and anxiety, and depression that once gripped me so powerfully. You can, too.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I still advise getting professional help but agree that God can be part of the process. Sometimes He doesn't free us from anxiety and or depression. Why I don't know but the story of Paul and the thorn in his side comes to mind.

If anything I feel like the struggle with these illnesses has helped me trust Him more.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I still advise getting professional help but agree that God can be part of the process. Sometimes He doesn't free us from anxiety and or depression. Why I don't know but the story of Paul and the thorn in his side comes to mind.

If anything I feel like the struggle with these illnesses has helped me trust Him more.

I have serious concerns about what you've written here. It just doesn't line up with what God says to us in His word. We are promised an "abundant life" (Jn 10:10), a life of rest (Matt. 11:28-30) and peace (Jn. 14:27; 16:33), a "sound mind" (2 Ti. 1:7), and joy (Ga. 5:22; Jn. 15:11; Ro. 14:17) in fellowship with God. How can this be so while we are depressed and anxious? The abundant life God says can be ours in Christ casts out the fear, and depression, and general malaise that has gripped so many claiming to be born-again disciples of Jesus. There may be seasons of sorrow and trouble that challenge our contentment, joy and peace in God, but constant and unending depression and fear reveals something fundamentally and profoundly wrong with our walk with God.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Upvote 0

MCA

Heartfelt Stranger
Apr 10, 2013
Houston
✟26,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
All, please continue praying for me. It is hard.I wont get into detail as i dont want to relive what i went through yesterday, but yesterday evening was frightening. I am enrolled in therapy and have to sleep next to my mother every night. It is bad. Please pray God to take charge of my mind, and my body, and my spirit. And to show me the way to Him and to be a good man inside and out. And to dwell in me always

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
All, please continue praying for me. It is hard.I wont get into detail as i dont want to relive what i went through yesterday, but yesterday evening was frightening. I am enrolled in therapy and have to sleep next to my mother every night. It is bad. Please pray God to take charge of my mind, and my body, and my spirit. And to show me the way to Him and to be a good man inside and out. And to dwell in me always

:heart: Praying for you MCA (((hug)))

Upvote 0

MCA

Heartfelt Stranger
Apr 10, 2013
Houston
✟26,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your prayers. I would like to report that i am doing a lot better. I have been exercising 5 days a week, and now meal prep for the entire day. Both of these things i feel have helped with my mood. I believe it is complimenting the medication. I have stopped seeing my therapist due to VERY high out of network costs plus i am tons better. I will probably see her once a month instead of the once a week meetings. I am trying to live in the power of now. In the moment. I pray everyday before i go to work and before i sleep. I feel faithful at times and at times faithless. My belief in God cannot really be put into a box like Yes or No. But i think i can say that i have faith of some sort. I appreciate your prayers once again. I know that i am doing better because of them, because i have improved so much. I would normally say something like "i dont want to jinx it", but i dont believe in that anymore. If something good is happening... say it. Run with it. Thanks all

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you critical and skeptical about your skepticism? You should be.

Critical thinking is only good to a point. I don't know all that is involved in keeping aloft the planes that soar overhead. I can't explain every little detail of the mechanisms that allow the planes to fly. But this doesn't mean I can't claim that planes fly. Some people, though, get so caught up in being skeptical and critical that if they can't explain every little thing about God, they think they can't claim that He exists. It would be silly to take this line with planes and it is equally silly to do so with God.

Well, if God created the universe out of nothing (and mainstream science supports the claim that He did), then surely none of the other supernatural events of the Bible are particularly remarkable. Why should God and the supernatural events of Scripture have to make sense to you? Since when did you become the final arbiter of what is and isn't possible and true? Can you explain what energy is, exactly? Can you explain precisely how we are able to love, and philosophize, and make jokes? I doubt it. Does this mean, then, that energy doesn't exist or that humor is an illusion?

See above.

I would recommend you read "Cold Case Christianity" by J. Warner Wallace. His book will show you the fallacious reasoning that is behind your overactive skepticism.

You are in the mess of doubting that you are in because you have entirely too high an opinion of your capacity for skepticism.

Good. Pray to Lord Jesus and only good things can happen to you. They may not seem good sometimes but trust and you will understand that Jesus knows best what is good for us. We arw not good judges to know what is best.

Upvote 0