United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I self identify as a specific race?

it was an interesting question posed in a group I am part of.

if you are born biologically one gender and at some point later in life you identify as another, could the same be true for race?

I grew up in an area very close to a strong Polish community, love the culture, love the food, even learned a little of the language.

I think I’d like to identify as Polish, the immediate benefit is that I would then be considered white by race.

Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is one of those silly topics that eventually will cause generations to look upon us with astonishment. Or so I think and hope, when I listen to people like Jordan Peterson speak about things like "hierarchies" existing in nature, and even more than that is true is the fact much of nature is ordered according to things being literal male and female etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

if you are born biologically one gender and at some point later in life you identify as another, could the same be true for race?
Apparently so. Kamala Harris was a black woman and was celebrated as such when elected as president-to-be last November. But this week she became an Asian-American woman.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Apparently so. Kamala Harris was a black woman and was celebrated as such when elected as president-to-be last November. But this week she became an Asian-American woman.

Kamala Harris is Asian and Black. That shouldn't be confusing in 2020 — but it is to some

During her 2020 presidential campaign, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., found herself at the center of a controversy about which Americans can claim to be Black, or Black enough — because of both her biracial identity and her immigrant parents.

Born to a Jamaican father and an Indian mother...

People from India are considered to be Asian. The U.S. Census Bureau considers people from the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia and the Far East to be Asian. —Reference.com

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Kamala Harris is Asian and Black. That shouldn't be confusing in 2020 — but it is to some

During her 2020 presidential campaign, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., found herself at the center of a controversy about which Americans can claim to be Black, or Black enough — because of both her biracial identity and her immigrant parents.

Born to a Jamaican father and an Indian mother...

People from India are considered to be Asian. The U.S. Census Bureau considers people from the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia and the Far East to be Asian. —Reference.com
You seem to be missing the point. Lots of us can point to a range of different races or ethnicities as part of our heritage. The question here was concerned with SELF-IDENTIFYING as one of them. And also, how society views such a move.

In Kamala Harris' case, it was received by many supporters and admirers and of course the media, as being as natural a thing as changing one's street address.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I grew up in an area very close to a strong Polish community, love the culture, love the food, even learned a little of the language.

I think I’d like to identify as Polish, the immediate benefit is that I would then be considered white by race.

Thoughts?

I like dolphins, I think they’re pretty, so I’d like to identify as a dolphin if that’s ok. BTW I think dolphins are exempt from paying taxes if I’m not mistaken.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like dolphins, I think they’re pretty, so I’d like to identify as a dolphin if that’s ok. BTW I think dolphins are exempt from paying taxes if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah, but you could end up in a can of tuna!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You seem to be missing the point. Lots of us can point to a range of different races or ethnicities as part of our heritage. The question here was concerned with SELF-IDENTIFYING as one of them. And also, how society views such a move.

In Kamala Harris' case, it was received by many supporters and admirers and of course the media, as being as natural a thing as changing one's street address.

I'm not missing the point at all. Her mother is Indian. She's half Indian. She isn't the first to acknowledge that. Tiger Woods was asked the same and acknowledged his unwillingness to deny his Asian heritage many years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have now become Caucasian, I feel guilty already.

Well you should because now that your white you are “systematically discriminating” against people of color and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Given the logic used to justify transgenderism I don't see how there is any argument against identifying as a certain race simply because you feel that way. Biology doesn't matter when it comes to self-identification.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not missing the point at all. Her mother is Indian. She's half Indian. She isn't the first to acknowledge that. Tiger Woods was asked the same and acknowledged his unwillingness to deny his Asian heritage many years ago.

If I get one of those DNA tests and it shows three different ethnic groups can I self identify to any of them?

If so, my wife is about three different races.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I get one of those DNA tests and it shows three different ethnic groups can I self identify to any of them?

Well, be sure to tell her to watch out for @hislagacy because he’s white now. Don’t trust whitie, naw mean?

• Haha
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Absolutely! While you're at it, you may be accused of a crime because you submitted your DNA information. But you're safe if you choose 23andMe! There can be surprises too.

But no refunds! They're keeping the swab. :D

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not missing the point at all. Her mother is Indian. She's half Indian. She isn't the first to acknowledge that.
Nope. This explanation shows that you did miss the point. None of this is actually about one's background.

It's about what you say your race is, that it can be changed on a moment's notice, and that there are many people who are quite willing and even appreciative of the charade. Of course, much of it is political.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0