If "God is love", what about God's more violent actions?

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
(If this isn't the right place to post this, feel free to move it)

Given that Satan is supposed to be "the father of lies" and basically the incarnation of evil (even though he didn't do much in the Old Testament except Job, but I digress), t decided to look up on YouTube, out of curiosity, "did satan kill anyone" to see if anything showed up (seeing as Lucifer wasn't Satan if you read it in context and it's never said the serpent was Satan, just a snake that was one of God's creatures).

The first result that came up was "How Many Has God Killed?" And as I looked at the videos beneath it most of them were asking why God killed people, or didn't kill Satan, but none of them seem to talk about Satan killing people.

I found the video to be both eye-opening, a bit funny (much to my embarrassment to admit because of the video-game sound effects and playing a version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow in the middle) and a bit scary. Why? It shows (with each time citing the Bible verses, though I feel like with a few they could have included a couple verses back for sale of context as well) all the times that God killed someone when a specific number was mentioned, and in the middle a few times where God Himself said violent things, in contrast to John's "God is love" verse. What unnerves me (well, all of it unnerves me) most was that the only times Satan killed was in the book of Job, when God gave him permission.

Here's the video if you're curious:

Your thoughts on this?:|:scratch: I know that some will say, "Oh, his ways are not our ways", but it's also said "You shall know them by their fruits", though if you take those verses into account...

Reactions: LionL

xpower

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
✟105,003.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You know, I have had a problem with this stuff as well. I have heard a lot of Christians say God is love, God's love is infinite, Jesus loves you excetera. But do you really believe that someone who is willing to kill you, torture you, torment someone for eternity, commit acts of wholesale Slaughter of men, women and children Is someone of love and compassion? is a loving father? when is the last time you heard of a loving father kill and torment his children?

I want to know where is the love, kindness and compassion in these acts.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2016
City of Brotherly Love
✟18,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is Holy and He cannot stand evil in his sight. Hate only exist because God loves his children. The child of the devil will not stay in the presence of God, they will perish and the fire will consume them.

Hebrews 12:29 - for our God is a consuming fire.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Didn't Paul explain all this in Galatians 4?

God was not only showing what would happen if the people chose a human King, but also what the 'god' of their making would do as well. In a way he was acting as "Allah" would act today if he were actually God. Recall that Hagar (Agar) was the mother of Ishmael, the patriarch of the Arabs, and claimed antecedent of Mohammed and thus of modern Islam. Some things never change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's love is tough love. No sentimentality at all. No wishful thinking, no coddling of the dangerous, no refusal to take sides.

That's not to everyone's taste, but He doesn't care. God knows what He is doing.

In the book of Job, God makes one thing clear, and only one: He will not explain Himself to those incapable of understanding.

You can try to subpoena God, but if you do you'd better hope He doesn't answer the summons.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
God's love is tough love. No sentimentality at all. No wishful thinking, no coddling of the dangerous, no refusal to take sides.

That's not to everyone's taste, but He doesn't care. God knows what He is doing.

In the book of Job, God makes one thing clear, and only one: He will not explain Himself to those incapable of understanding.

You can try to subpoena God, but if you do you'd better hope He doesn't answer the summons.

While I take issue with the somewhat cold tone of this post, I do agree with one thing, and that is that God's love is not sentimental.

One of the problems encountered in interpreting Scripture is falsely defining words that Scripture uses to describe God. An perfect example of this is love. We, as fallen human beings, see in Scripture that "God is love" (1 John 4:8), so we proceed to come up with all of these things that we, as fallen human beings (the Fall which, ironically, is a state brought about by humanity's lack of love for God), think love is, and then define God that way. So, for example, we say, "Love forgives and forgets all sin." Well, unfortunately, perfect love does not. In its most basic sense, love seeks the ultimate good, which is God himself.

Another thing we often forget is that creatures are often forbidden to do things that God can do. Why? Because we are creatures, he is not. God is. In other words, he is not dependent on anyone, and no one can show him kindness or pity. But, as creatures, since we have been shown kindness and pity (especially if we are elect), we are required to reciprocate that, because, again, we are creatures, utterly dependent upon God.

Let's also not forget that God showed immense grace to those he destroyed by allowing them to exist in the first place. They had their chance to repent. Rather than question God as to why he would destroy someone (because that is the just thing to do), we ought to give praise for him not doing the same to us, since we are all the more deserving of the same fate.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A loving mother hits the disobedient two year old, so she will not have to see the 20 year old go to jail. It is the only language he can understand. By the time the kid is 40, he understands life and is making a contribution worthy of a well-brought up youngster. The OT Hebrews could not yet speak the language of love, and training in language comes first.

You can track the training if you know how to read the ancient languages. This response is deeper than you might think it to be.

Reactions: Mediaeval
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"You shall know them by their fruits", though if you take those verses into account...
YHWH IS SOVEREIGN, PERFECT, RIGHTEOUS and HOLY.
HE tells all HIS people to be perfect, righteous, and holy also.
HE makes it so thru Y'SHUA (not thru any traditions is this possible).
HE saves people from the mess of society on earth TODAY (no traditions can save anyone,apart from YHWH'S WORD)

But do you really believe that someone who is willing to kill you, torture you, torment someone for eternity, commit acts of wholesale Slaughter of men, women and children Is someone of love and compassion? is a loving father?
Read Genesis through Revelation to see TRUTH.
ASK YHWH for TRUTH in Y'SHUA (JESUS).
No one else is able to reveal TRUTH.(only YHWH).
You can track the training if you know how to read the ancient languages.
RSV - Revised Standard Version was perfectly fine too.

Trusting YHWH, all of SCRIPTURE is TRUTH, and the BLOOD OF Y'SHUA MESSIAH,
completely cleanses those seeking HIS KINGDOM
from all the filth and corruption and defilement of mankind,
from all sin,
TODAY while still alive on earth.

All of the totally corrupt and mistaken ideas of right and wrong can only be known
from HIS WORD and HIS SPIRIT as HE REVEALS in HIS WORD.

or, even more simply , whoever becomes like a little child may get to see the kingdom of heaven now, today, on earth
by the revelation from the FATHER in heaven as this is HIS GOOD PLEASURE
(says JESUS).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You know, I have had a problem with this stuff as well. I have heard a lot of Christians say God is love, God's love is infinite, Jesus loves you excetera. But do you really believe that someone who is willing to kill you, torture you, torment someone for eternity, commit acts of wholesale Slaughter of men, women and children Is someone of love and compassion? is a loving father? when is the last time you heard of a loving father kill and torment his children?

Consider what life would be like today if God hadn't had all those people killed. If our leaders hadn't destroyed most of the native peoples in America would there even be an America?

If there is a God, and if his word is true, then some are the recipients of his blessing, and others of his cursing. To quote Dirty Harry: "That's just the way it is."

Upvote 0

Fortran

Oct 10, 2013
Rural Missouri, United States
✟12,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is one of my core struggles with my faith honestly. There really is no ambiguity in the statement, "God is love". I am certainly not a Greek scholar but I believe the word translated to love in the sentence had a well-defined meaning. Context clearly is critical in any interpretation, but there is nothing (to me) in I John that indicates the word was meant to be taken in anything but the clear way (not like when Jesus said "I am the Bread of Life").

One can easily say God is not "that" type of love, but we humans classify the world through words. If I were to say "Jane is honest," and then Jane was caught committing fraud - what would be the appropriate action? I could continue to claim that "Jane is honest," even though I do believe she committed fraud, and that others are misunderstanding what honest means. I could accept that "Jane is not honest". Finally, I could cling to the notion that "Jane is honest" in the most obvious sense, and that what others have said about her are simply not ture.

To me, I see only three evident paths. We can try and reinterpret love, begin to believe that "God is not love," or we can choose to believe that any action attributed to God that is inconsistent with love (likes the ones noted in the opening post) are inaccurate. Obviously, all have problems. From a purely emotional standpoint, I like the last option (I do not enjoy the thought of God sending plagues, commanding genocide, or sending people to a place of torment), but this does not make it true.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Consider what life would be like today if God hadn't had all those people killed.
Much the same as it is today
If our leaders hadn't destroyed most of the native peoples in America would there even be an America?
If your leaders had not killed most of the native peoples there would still be an America - just not the United States of America, and some might say that would be a good thing

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

You basically said everything I've been thinking.

God is Holy and He cannot stand evil in his sight. Hate only exist because God loves his children. The child of the devil will not stay in the presence of God, they will perish and the fire will consume them.

Hebrews 12:29 - for our God is a consuming fire.

What? At one point God talks about "Esau, who I hated". If God is love, how can he hate? Are not those above actions of slaughter and genocide in the video examples of evil acts, or are you saying they aren't evil only because God says it? Isn't that a "might makes right" mentality?

Didn't Paul explain all this in Galatians 4?

God was not only showing what would happen if the people chose a human King, but also what the 'god' of their making would do as well. In a way he was acting as "Allah" would act today if he were actually God. Recall that Hagar (Agar) was the mother of Ishmael, the patriarch of the Arabs, and claimed antecedent of Mohammed and thus of modern Islam. Some things never change.

So you're saying God acted like a human king just to prove a point? The fact is that God commanded some of these genocides to show his power that he is God and not a human; why would God have to act like a human king? And in any case, God is God, couldn't he have sought a more peaceful way of doing things rather than a more tribal-human-like response of "killing even the innocents of another tribe to get rid of them"? That seems less like the actions of God claiming he loves all humanity and more like an Earth human war ruler.:scratch:

"Tough love" and "senseless killing of the innocent" are two completely different things in my opinion. "Tough love" implies doing something that may seem a bit harsh or stern, but in the end it serves the person better and they see that. Murder is, well, murder.

While I take issue with the somewhat cold tone of this post, I do agree with one thing, and that is that God's love is not sentimental.

One of the problems encountered in interpreting Scripture is falsely defining words that Scripture uses to describe God. An perfect example of this is love. We, as fallen human beings, see in Scripture that "God is love" (1 John 4:8), so we proceed to come up with all of these things that we, as fallen human beings (the Fall which, ironically, is a state brought about by humanity's lack of love for God), think love is, and then define God that way. So, for example, we say, "Love forgives and forgets all sin." Well, unfortunately, perfect love does not. In its most basic sense, love seeks the ultimate good, which is God himself.

Another thing we often forget is that creatures are often forbidden to do things that God can do. Why? Because we are creatures, he is not. God is. In other words, he is not dependent on anyone, and no one can show him kindness or pity. But, as creatures, since we have been shown kindness and pity (especially if we are elect), we are required to reciprocate that, because, again, we are creatures, utterly dependent upon God.

Let's also not forget that God showed immense grace to those he destroyed by allowing them to exist in the first place. They had their chance to repent. Rather than question God as to why he would destroy someone (because that is the just thing to do), we ought to give praise for him not doing the same to us, since we are all the more deserving of the same fate.

Thing is, humans do define love a certain way, and ones idea of "perfect love" isn't eternal sentimentality. Sure, people are sentimental regarding love, but if we use human terms to supposedly describe God, and God's nature seems to not completely be an example of these human terminologies, wouldn't a better word be suited? If "perfect love" is defined as "helping only one population while killing some for trying to help, others for complaining, and others because they were of another tribe so the men of one tribe could keep the virgins for themselves" (read Numbers 31 for that last one), if that's supposed to be what "perfect love" is, then I'm glad humans do not have that definition of "perfect love".

A loving mother hits the disobedient two year old, so she will not have to see the 20 year old go to jail. It is the only language he can understand. By the time the kid is 40, he understands life and is making a contribution worthy of a well-brought up youngster. The OT Hebrews could not yet speak the language of love, and training in language comes first.

You can track the training if you know how to read the ancient languages. This response is deeper than you might think it to be.

That there in the first couple sentences is an example of so-called "tough love" (though hitting a 2 year old is something I don't like the idea of no matter what—why would one automatically assume a 2-year-old would go to jail 18 years in the future?). What's shown in the Bible as was shown in that video is far from an example of "tough love". To put it in that terminology, that's like the 2-year-old growing up, seeing people from other neighborhoods, and being ordered by his mother to kill everyone within the other neighborhoods, and he won't be punished but rewarded because his mother is the most powerful person in the city.

... There could be a dystopian story in the making there, now that I think about it...

YHWH IS SOVEREIGN, PERFECT, RIGHTEOUS and HOLY.
HE tells all HIS people to be perfect, righteous, and holy also.
HE makes it so thru Y'SHUA (not thru any traditions is this possible).
HE saves people from the mess of society on earth TODAY (no traditions can save anyone,apart from YHWH'S WORD)

Read Genesis through Revelation to see TRUTH.
ASK YHWH for TRUTH in Y'SHUA (JESUS).
No one else is able to reveal TRUTH.(only YHWH).

RSV - Revised Standard Version was perfectly fine too.

Trusting YHWH, all of SCRIPTURE is TRUTH, and the BLOOD OF Y'SHUA MESSIAH,
completely cleanses those seeking HIS KINGDOM
from all the filth and corruption and defilement of mankind,
from all sin,
TODAY while still alive on earth.

All of the totally corrupt and mistaken ideas of right and wrong can only be known
from HIS WORD and HIS SPIRIT as HE REVEALS in HIS WORD.

or, even more simply , whoever becomes like a little child may get to see the kingdom of heaven now, today, on earth
by the revelation from the FATHER in heaven as this is HIS GOOD PLEASURE
(says JESUS).

So you're saying that all those verses above are okay because God is perfect and holy? So if humans are supposed by closer to God, would you do those things? Honest question here, I'm a bit baffled...:confused:

And how do we really know that all Scripture is perfect? After all there were plenty of other Gospels and books going around at that time, how do we know all the ones we got are supposedly the correct ones?

Consider what life would be like today if God hadn't had all those people killed. If our leaders hadn't destroyed most of the native peoples in America would there even be an America?

If there is a God, and if his word is true, then some are the recipients of his blessing, and others of his cursing. To quote Dirty Harry: "That's just the way it is."

We'd still have America, just a different America. If you mean morality-wise, it might be the same, it might be different, more good or more bad. We can't know. We can't know if there were many great people and thinkers in those towns who may have been able to detached themselves from the evil they were (supposedly) committing, only to have that cut short by being killed. Same for the Great Library of Alexandria being burnt to the ground...

This is one of my core struggles with my faith honestly. There really is no ambiguity in the statement, "God is love". I am certainly not a Greek scholar but I believe the word translated to love in the sentence had a well-defined meaning. Context clearly is critical in any interpretation, but there is nothing (to me) in I John that indicates the word was meant to be taken in anything but the clear way (not like when Jesus said "I am the Bread of Life").

One can easily say God is not "that" type of love, but we humans classify the world through words. If I were to say "Jane is honest," and then Jane was caught committing fraud - what would be the appropriate action? I could continue to claim that "Jane is honest," even though I do believe she committed fraud, and that others are misunderstanding what honest means. I could accept that "Jane is not honest". Finally, I could cling to the notion that "Jane is honest" in the most obvious sense, and that what others have said about her are simply not ture.

To me, I see only three evident paths. We can try and reinterpret love, begin to believe that "God is not love," or we can choose to believe that any action attributed to God that is inconsistent with love (likes the ones noted in the opening post) are inaccurate. Obviously, all have problems. From a purely emotional standpoint, I like the last option (I do not enjoy the thought of God sending plagues, commanding genocide, or sending people to a place of torment), but this does not make it true.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Taking those points into account, it seems that the only way we can be honest and say "God is love" is if we redefine what "love" is.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In context:

Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

I would offer that the use of the term 'old' is a pretty good indication that it is referring to the 'serpent' in the garden. What other 'serpent' in the entire Bible is worthy of mention? Being labeled: "Old Serpent"?

So you see, it is your desire to ignore such scripture that has led to your misinterpretation of what is actually offered in the Bible.

Once again, show us what 'other' serpent is offered in the Bible that we could consider in interpreting what is offered. If you cannot, then it is pretty obvious 'exactly what serpent' is being referred to. And that 'serpent' is indeed the Devil, Satan or whatever other name you choose to label the 'one who rebelled against God in Heaven'.

It's not me "ignoring the Scripture". Revelation is largely symbolic, having a bunch of imagery such as the beast with seven heads and 10 horns. Not to mention, the Bible's books were written over several thousand years. By the time Revelation was written/envisioned, it may have been thought just like is popular—that the serpent was the devil. But back in the Old Testament, when Genesis was actually written, when the meaning of the text would be the most clear, there's no indication that the serpent was considered to be Satan, just a serpent that was the craftiest of all the beasts of the field God had made. The only time Satan appears is in Job.

It's not me ignoring the Scriptures, it's me not ignoring the full context relating to time periods. If Genesis and Revelation were written around the same time, it would make sense, but meaning can easily get distorted over time.

Now the subject of God being 'love' yet being responsible for the deaths of humans.

What would you 'do' if you had a dog and it contracted rabies? Would you let it harm others? Would you let it suffer until it died naturally?

Or would you actually 'do' something in order to protect others or to keep it from suffering?

True, if you kill a rabid dog, it's out of the fear that it might hurt someone. While the people that God killed may have hurt someone, God would know whether they would or not, so there would be know wondering or uncertainty. But how exactly would killing everyone except virgins so the Israelites can "have them for themselves" be on the same level as killing a rabid dog?

You see, God created 'life' and it's His to do with as He chooses. To us, we learn to 'love life' and it seems unfair for it to be shortened for 'any reason'.

But to God, our lives are pretty much 'borrowed time' to begin with. All that are 'born in the flesh' are going to 'die in the flesh'.

So this 'first death' isn't really as important as we place emphasis on it. It's the 'second death' that really matters. And few even contemplate 'that death'.

But if your fate leads to 'second death'. It's still not a 'big deal'. You will simply 'cease to exist' if that is your judgment.

And 'suffering'? Well, that's just a 'part of life in the flesh'. The amount may well be different for each but ALL end up suffering if they live for more than a 'moment'. And the longer one lives in the flesh the MORE they will end up suffering. Merely the nature of the 'flesh'.

I find nothing to indicate that God is 'not' love by contemplating the deaths of His 'children' in the flesh.

Nor do I find a 'lacking' of love in destroying 'rabid dogs'. Not only is it for the sake of the righteous, but ends up 'putting the infected' out of their misery. For those that are consumed with greed, lust, envy, strife, hate, anger, etc.............are indeed of need to be 'put out of their misery'.

The 'darkness' does not comprehend the 'light'. And such subjects are indicative of 'darkness'. For if the thoughts were of 'light' there wouldn't be any questions such as the one's you have posed in your OP.

Can I give you the answer you are looking for? Nope. And nothing I have offered so far will give anyone the answer they are looking for if they are unwilling to accept 'the light'. I am not that 'light' so I am incapable of shinning upon those in darkness. But I can offer that this is what we are offered in the Bible.

Those that are truly concerned with the 'fleshly deaths' of their neighbors may find some comfort in the 'truth'. But if the 'truth' evades you, not much else can be offered that can supply much comfort.

Those that dwell in darkness are doomed to fear death. For those that are 'in love with this world' can not find peace in the idea that one day they will be separated from their lusts.

Blessings,

MEC

Saying that "God created life, so he can do with it as he wishes" almost seems like saying, "I have a child, so I can do with it as I wish no matter how cruel it might seem, because without me it wouldn't be here". Saying "oh, there's free will" doesn't hold water, because I highly doubt torture and slaughter (and slavery and assault) would be part of anyone's "free will". Kind of like the "might makes right" thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The first result that came up was "How Many Has God Killed?" And as I looked at the videos beneath it most of them were asking why God killed people, or didn't kill Satan, but none of them seem to talk about Satan killing people.

Satan doesn't kill people directly.

His role is rebellion against God, in which he foments strife between humans.

As for God killing people, well, He is the creator so He does own absolutely everything in the universe - and he only kills to promote good whilst Satan's purpose is a love of strife.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Satan doesn't kill people directly.

His role is rebellion against God, in which he foments strife between humans.

As for God killing people, well, He is the creator so He does own absolutely everything in the universe - and he only kills to promote good whilst Satan's purpose is a love of strife.

Are there any points in the Bible where Satan rebells against God, aside from the "devil temping Jesus in the garden" point? In Job he did a bet with God and only did what God allowed him, and in the Old Testament God was the one who sent "lying spirits" to people. It seems that in the OT God did everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Raggedyman

The book of straw 2:26
May 14, 2016
Au
✟8,225.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Crikey
If you think what God has done in the past is horrible, please avoid reading revelations
That's going to be one hell of a blood bath, in fact blood bath is literal, blood up to the bridal of a horse (revelations)
Make no mistake God hates sin, God is a God of love and it's also common knowledge God is a God of justice as well
We know that sin deserves death, God deals in justice for sin
The bible does not hide that God is a God of justice, His justice is harsh by human standards no question.
So yes God is love, and God is just.
The punishment for sin is death, that's why Christ is so important
That's why so many have died, Gods justice

Interesting, wouldn't it be good if God was to smite ISIS, well wouldn't it?

This is basic christianity

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Are there any points in the Bible where Satan rebells against God, aside from the "devil temping Jesus in the garden" point? In Job he did a bet with God and only did what God allowed him, and in the Old Testament God was the one who sent "lying spirits" to people. It seems that in the OT God did everything.

You mean apart from Eden, where his words doubt what God has said to Eve, preaching rebellion and promoting the fall of man into such a state of decay that God has to wipe out all but 8 of them in a flood?

Don't look to youtube videos for wisdom, as many are inspired by that same spirit of strife working still today.

Upvote 0

Raggedyman

The book of straw 2:26
May 14, 2016
Au
✟8,225.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
You mean apart from Eden, where his words doubt what God has said to Eve, preaching rebellion and promoting the fall of man into such a state of decay that God has to wipe out all but 8 of them in a flood?

Don't look to youtube videos for wisdom, as many are inspired by that same spirit of strife working still today.

Maybe they should look to good teachers on YouTube, not the anti christian rhetoric they find so readily and easy to digest
And let's not forget, this simple stuff should be coming from ministers, most don't know the basics, find a good teaching church, go study

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thing is, humans do define love a certain way, and ones idea of "perfect love" isn't eternal sentimentality.

It is if one thinks that love must forgive and forget sin or that God must be nice to everyone and not hurt even a fly.

If "perfect love" is defined as "helping only one population while killing some for trying to help, others for complaining, and others because they were of another tribe so the men of one tribe could keep the virgins for themselves" (read Numbers 31 for that last one), if that's supposed to be what "perfect love" is, then I'm glad humans do not have that definition of "perfect love".

This post clearly demonstrates that you do not understand the nature and depth of human depravity. Do you not understand that Israel (and you I, for that matter) was just as deserving of these things as any other people group? In fact, do you understand that God would have been perfectly just in destroying Adam and Eve as soon as their rebellious lips touched the fruit? Do you realize that He could just as easily and justly destroyed Noah along with the rest of mankind. You see, you've got it all backwards. As I said, the amazing things is not that God destroys this group or that individual, the amazing thing is that he spared anyone, including you and me.

Tell me, in your opinion, is there anyone in all of Scripture who was destroyed and did not deserve it? Similarly, is there anyone in all of Scripture that God spared that did deserve it? Answer carefully, as your answer will reveal whether your view of human depravity matches Scripture's.

The fact is, there are no innocents. The fact that you ask the question, "Couldn't God have done something more peaceful instead of killing innocents," suggests that your view of human guilt is too low, or perhaps non-existent. Do you realize that the fact that you and I were allowed to live past the point of conception is not just more, but the exact opposite of what we deserve, right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So you're saying that all those verses above are okay because God is perfect and holy? So if humans are supposed by closer to God, would you do those things? Honest question here, I'm a bit baffled..
Every WORD of YHWH is PERFECT, restoring the soul (when TRUTH is known).
Who said humans are supposed to be closer to God ?
Yes, humans are baffled.
Well, actually, that's too 'nice' and polite.
Yes, in truth, humans are very sinful, evil and wicked, lacking any understanding of YHWH and not seeking HIM, being sons of disobedience bent on "kill, steal, and destroy".

And how do we really know that all Scripture is perfect? After all there were plenty of other Gospels and books going around at that time, how do we know all the ones we got are supposedly the correct ones?
"we" don't. Most all the world does not.
If you knew SCRIPTURE is PERFECT,
if you know YHWH is PERFECT,
you wouldn't question the way you do.
Remember no one is trained nor taught correctly on this earth, with very few exceptions.
We are raised in an evil wicked society,
just like the crowds before the flood, when no one sought GOD and no one was saved from the flood except NOAH and the 7 with him who got on the ark.
Remember - EVERYONE , everyone , everyone who got on the ark was saved.
Everyone, everyone, everyone who did not get on the ark was not saved.
No exception.
Everyone on earth was wicked and evil like Esau.
There heart was full of sin, opposed to GOD, and they
refused to turn to HIM to be saved.
Same TODAY.
Few exceptions.

Upvote 0