If Christianity the true religion, how is it observably different from other, false, religions

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think most of us atheists would be quite content if theists would admit that they just don't know — admit that they take it all on faith.

Then maybe, just maybe, they would not try to control the world based on supposition.

What’s your thoughts on why it’s so hard to just say “I don’t know” but still choose to believe a certain way for whatever reason?

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,338.00
Faith
Atheist
What’s your thoughts on why it’s so hard to just say “I don’t know” but still choose to believe a certain way for whatever reason?
I don't know. (Ha.)

I suspect it is a combination of a commitment to the idea that God is the ultimate entity, a shock reaction to having to reconceptualize their reality, and the sense that this thinking might be a betrayal of their god, religion, and community.

As for a new concept that I think is consistent with ideas of sin and redemption, if God were coeternal with all that is (the universe), he could still be the shaper and intender of the way things are and still require repentance, etc.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean on my side? Everyone I have quoted except for Charles Townes are not Christians. if Krauss agrees that all matter, energy, time, and space originated at the BB then I would quote him irrespective of his religious beliefs. That is my point, the majority of cosmologists believe that all matter, energy, time, and space originated at the BB and most of them are not Christians. So no I dont care what "side" they are on.

efm: As has already been explained, all this demonstrates is that scientists aren't very careful with how they talk about these things on the popular level.
Evidence for this statement? As a scientist myself, I try to be very careful about how I talk about things and most other scientists I know also try to, even on the popular level.

Yes, that is what it appears to be what they are saying, but they are not saying anything about what caused the BB or if something existed prior to it or if nothing existed prior to it. Remember most of these scientists are not Christian theists.

efm: 2 - That any of these scientists are referring to 'nothing' in the same sense that you are.

Actually, I am not claiming that the universe came from absolutely nothing. I am claiming that it came from nothing detectable by humans.

efm: 3 - That any of your assertions are found in evidence in any primary scientific literature.
There are many primary scientific studies that strongly point in that direction. Read "The Singularities of Gravitational Collapse and Cosmology" by Hawking and Penrose in the Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Vol 314 PP 529-548, (1970) for just one, and there are many more.

See above what I said about nothing.

No, See above for the first study in history that confirmed my point, but there are many other more recent ones.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The scientific evidence points to either random impersonal forces or an intelligent personal being. Do you have any evidence for a third option?

mu: No, we emerge from biological processes that don't have a mind behind them, in the same way that life emerged from non life in a complex process that we are beginning to understand.
So first you seem to imply that there are more than two options and then you choose the mainstream science position. If that is what you believe than you have the problem I mentioned in my post, you have no way of knowing if there is objective reality that your science is based on so therefore you have no rational basis for science.

No, it could just be a very realistic dream. Name another system that provides a rational basis for an objective reality that can be studied.

What is your confidence based on? How do you know it is not just a very realistic dream?

No, unlike a paranoid schizophrenic we have good reasons and a great deal of evidence to believe a personal creator exists. And in fact, especially the Christian God.

While I am technically not a presuppositionalist, they do make some cogent points. Personally the best argument for God is the cosmological argument.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It certainly did. Saying that you should believe in Christianity because - according to you - it is superior to this or that religion is a very poor argument indeed.
Again read the OP, I am not making an argument for Christianity. But Why is demonstrating that a belief fits better with reality than other beliefs a poor argument? And why is it not rational? Scientists do this everyday with their theories. The check to see if their theories model reality the best.

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
(btw, I only read the op so far)....

In red above, is that what you meant to say ?

Previously, underlined, did you or anyone prove Christianity is false or provide any argument to that end ?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But the OP is asking you if you can make an argument for Christianity. It's saying, how is Christianity observably different from other religions. You're answering this, it's true, but these differences are nothing more than your opinion. Finding ways in which your religion might be a metaphor for the universe mean nothing, I'm afraid. As I said earlier - about as useful as finding Jesus' face in a potato chip.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Evidence that the differences are just my opinion? I have talked to and read about the teachings of other religions especially the ones I mentioned and they are the mainstream beliefs of those religions. Where did I say that my religion might be a metaphor for the universe?

Upvote 0

LoG

Veteran
Site Supporter
May 14, 2005
✟70,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OP hasn't been on in 3 weeks so if you are taking over the thread for him by rebutting arguments then perhaps you could do so for post #68 .

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So then, God's Word is TRUE !

HALLELUYAH ! YES ! YEAH AND AMEN !

Oh, oops - there's a condition, isn't there, right there>
IF
If you listen CaREfully, to the Lord <your> God,

AND

DO

what is right IN HIS EYES....

IF (another condition specifically)
you pay attention to his commands and keep all His decrees ....

Good and wonderful for His children who by grace follow Jesus and receive HIS LIFE....

Not so good for the sons of disobedience (refusing to do as God says) mentioned throughout the NEW TESTAMENT !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Evidence that the differences are just my opinion? I have talked to and read about the teachings of other religions especially the ones I mentioned and they are the mainstream beliefs of those religions.
I'm sure they are. But your opinion that these differences make your religion right and other religions wrong is nothing more than your opinion. Let's see something we haven't yet seen: something that sets Christianity apart from other religions that could not have simply been made up by humans. Because so far, everything I've seen about Christianity, including in this thread, is entirely consistent with God being the product of human imagination, and nothing more.

Where did I say that my religion might be a metaphor for the universe?
You spoke of how characteristics of God told us about the nature of the universe, and I pointed out that this is nothing more than applying metaphorical language in the Bible to reality, without any basis.
For example, when you said:
"But the very nature of the Triune Christian God, a diversity within a unity, matches the fundamental characteristic of the universe so most likely that is His fingerprint on it to reveal Himself as its creator."
"Most likely"? Nonsense. All you've done is draw an unjustified comparison between a facet of a religious story and a scientific fact.

By the way, you have yet to respond to this post: If Christianity the true religion, how is it observably different from other, false, religions

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The OP hasn't been on in 3 weeks so if you are taking over the thread for him by rebutting arguments then perhaps you could do so for post #68 .
Sure thing!
I read that article you posted. Very interesting. God wanted the Israelites to be a model people, and so He gave them rules to keep them healthy? Is that what you're saying?

Upvote 0

LoG

Veteran
Site Supporter
May 14, 2005
✟70,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure thing!
I read that article you posted. Very interesting. God wanted the Israelites to be a model people, and so He gave them rules to keep them healthy? Is that what you're saying?

I'm saying that the Pentateuch gave the Israelites (and Christians by extension), the practical applications of both germ and dietary theories 3500 years ago. Long before the sciences behind either had any inkling of them.

It is also good as a response to your own requirement in the
The Theist's Guide to Converting Atheists where you state one of the proofs that would be convincing to you as being:

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Okay. Thank you for making that clear, I just wanted to understand you.
Now, you've made your point, and made it clearly, so I hope I shall do the same in response.

And my answer is:
Soap.
Why isn't there a recipe for soap in the Bible?

It's not at all hard to explain in simple terms to uncivilised people, or to make it with primitive ingredients. But it is hard to think of, isn't it? Hard to just come up with the idea. And, for that matter, why doesn't the Bible explain the importance of washing and of boiling your water?

Answer: because God, in the Bible, knows nothing more than humans can know. Curious, that, isn't it? If God wants to teach people how to be healthy, why did He tell them only the things that any bright human could have figured out from simple observation? If people tend to get sick after eating certain animals, or if cleaning your genitals results in them not smelling so bad, or if people who handle dead bodies tend to get sick - well, it's fairly obvious cause and effect. But what about the things we know now that are not obvious cause and effect? Why didn't God tell His people about those?

Because it was humans who wrote the Bible, and who put God's words in the text.

And that's the answer to your answering The Theist's Guide to Converting Atheists. I don't mean to mock - thank you very much, it was a good attempt. But no, it doesn't count, because there's nothing in the Bible that the people of the time couldn't possibly have known then.

Not even the recipe for soap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Only the Christian bible teaches that the universe had a definite beginning from nothing detectable 2000 years before it was confirmed by science with the BB theory. Only the Christian Bible teaches that the universe is expanding 3000 years before it was confirmed by science with the BB theory. Only the Christian Bible teaches that the universe is winding down energetically 2000 years before it was confirmed by science. In addition, no human moral system restricts sexual behavior as much as Christianity, therefore it is unlikely it was invented by humans. Man made sexual morality would let you have sex with whoever you want as long as it is consensual and doesn't hurt anyone. And I can give many more examples.

No, the nature of God was discovered and agreed upon by the church 1700 years before science discovered this characteristic of the universe so it could not have been retrofitted by humans. Art experts know that artists and creators always incorporate aspects of themselves in their creation, that is how they can determine between counterfeit reproductions and frauds from the real thing. So this is plainly a justified comparison to determine who the creator of the universe is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums