If Christianity the true religion, how is it observably different from other, false, religions

AnotherAtheist

Gimmie dat ol' time physical evidence
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I intend to post this question and see what people say. I don't want this to become an argument. So, I'll be reading responses but intend to not comment much if at all.

Notes - I acknowledge that some people view multiple religions as diifferent views on the same reality so that more than one religion can be true. This question is not for them.

Also - if anyone wants to convince me then they'll need to point out something that believers in other religions can't claim for their own religion. Or, the question will not have been answered.

And - I'm looking for something objectively observable. Belieivers having feelings and experiences again will not answer the question as believers of many religions have those.

EDIT: Unfortunately I spotted the read and agree thread after I posted this. I'll edit my post to make it more compliant.

Specifically I need to include an argument as to why Christianity may be false.

If there is a true religion, then it should clearly stand out as being different from the others, as its teachings will be true, not heavily distorted or downright wrong like other religions. I don't see any religion which stands out as being diifferent from others, and hence that for me is evidence that all religions are man-made, and none is true. Hence, I take that as evidence that Christianity is true.

My purpose in this thread is for Christians to have the opportunity to argue that Christianity is clearly different from other religions in a way that shows true divine guidance.

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I intend to post this question and see what people say. I don't want this to become an argument. So, I'll be reading responses but intend to not comment much if at all.

Notes - I acknowledge that some people view multiple religions as diifferent views on the same reality so that more than one religion can be true. This question is not for them.

Also - if anyone wants to convince me then they'll need to point out something that believers in other religions can't claim for their own religion. Or, the question will not have been answered.

And - I'm looking for something objectively observable. Belieivers having feelings and experiences again will not answer the question as believers of many religions have those.

EDIT: Unfortunately I spotted the read and agree thread after I posted this. I'll edit my post to make it more compliant.

Specifically I need to include an argument as to why Christianity may be false.

If there is a true religion, then it should clearly stand out as being different from the others, as its teachings will be true, not heavily distorted or downright wrong like other religions. I don't see any religion which stands out as being diifferent from others, and hence that for me is evidence that all religions are man-made, and none is true. Hence, I take that as evidence that Christianity is true.

My purpose in this thread is for Christians to have the opportunity to argue that Christianity is clearly different from other religions in a way that shows true divine guidance.

Define, "objectively observable." Otherwise, it's not clear to me what it is you're even wanting Christians to attempt to provide. o_O

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It doesn't. But it is the only religion based on history over time.

~Unique in Its Time Span~
Most scholars agree that the New Testament was completed by the second half of the first century AD. But sufficient evidence confirms that the earliest forms of the Bible were written during the time of the Hebrew exodus out of Egypt (c. 1400-1200 BC). This means the composition of the biblical writing, from the earliest book of the Bible to the last of the New Testament writings, spans a period of 1,300 to 1,500 years. The Bible is exceptional in that it was written and assembled over a vast number of generations.

An Investigation: What Makes the Bible Unique? - Josh.org

If you are seeking true divine guidance, then:
Knowing God Through Answered Prayer - Steps 1,2,&3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is BASED upon LOVE and RELATIONSHIP. No other religions are.

And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall LOVE the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.

And a second is like it: You shall LOVE your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the revelation of God.”

— Matthew 22:35-40

"Come and be with me, all you who struggle in life, and are heavily burdened down, ... and I will gift you with rest.

Partner with me and learn of my way, ... for I am meek and gentle in spirit, and you will find rest for your very souls.

For partnership with me is easy, and will not be a burden unto you."

— Matthew 11:28-30

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Define, "objectively observable." Otherwise, it's not clear to me what it is you're even wanting Christians to attempt to provide. o_O
Seems perfectly clear to me. But maybe that's because I'd be interested in hearing what Christians have to say for themselves, and you'd rather avoid that.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure they are. Loving your god and being loved by him/her/them are common features of many religions.
None I can think of.

Baha'i, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism

Edit: Nope. I just researched each one.
Edit: Except for Christianity/Judaism of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure they are. Loving your god and being loved by him/her/them are common features of many religions.
I'll ask the same question to you that I asked previously.

Can you provide evidence for your claim ?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems perfectly clear to me. But maybe that's because I'd be interested in hearing what Christians have to say for themselves, and you'd rather avoid that.

It's not my intention to avoid epistemological problems any more than atheists do. ;) And as you already know, atheists ignore a whole lot of epistemological problems, as well as axiological ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'll ask the same question to you that I asked previously.

Can you provide evidence for your claim ?
Sure.
Easily.
There was Zeus. He was known for having relationships with his believers. Often with interestingly physical consequences.

And then there's Allah:
A Muslim’s Obligation of Love for Allah
"When we love Allah, that love draws us closer to Him and helps us build a strong relationship that can help us in this life and in hereafter. As Muslims, our faith requires that our love for Allah and his prophet supersedes any other type of love for any other object or creation."

And there's Judaism:
What is the Jewish God
"Jews are commanded to love God. The love to God should reflect in every part of life. Throughout history many Jews died for the name of God, because of their great love for Hashem. Whenever Jews were persecuted to abolish the Jewish religion, the great love to God is what kept them from doing so."

And plenty of other religions throughout history. Why wouldn't you love your god or gods, when they kept you safe and cared for you? And why would they do so if they didn't love you?

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Something that an objective person could verify for themselves, without having to take something told to them by others or through scripture on faith.

E.g. if someone says that they know that Christianity is true because they feel it in their heart, and that nobody from another religion could feel God like that, then I can't verify that.

If there was a religion with a holy book that made many specfic revelations that could be confirmed as true without excessive interpretation, then that is somethiing I could verify. E.g. a holy book that revealed the germ theory of disease in good detaiil.

It seems that not all people are able to post in this thread. One person PM'd me to say that near-death experiences, in the majority (or even more?), match the Judeo-Christian tradition. That's something I'm in the process of looking into by reviewing research on NDEs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
PS: I won't comment much here as I'm more interested in reading and less in getting into point by point arguments. I'm fine with others picking the egg up in their spoon and running with it. :) I am reading and thinking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I acknowledge that some people view multiple religions as diifferent views on the same reality so that more than one religion can be true. This question is not for them.

This is an unfortunate restriction on your question. When it comes to someone moving from atheism to Christian faith on account of what is observable, there are two observable features of the world that should be taken into account: 1) the occurrence of religion in general, and 2) the persistence of religion, in general, in a world where naturalism and atheism have become live options (live options as potential defeaters for religious belief). Obviously, one may not be swayed by these two observable features of the world. And, personally, I have no interest in spending 500 posts trying to sway anyone. Nonetheless, those observables ought to be on the table if one expects someone to present observables for the truth of Christianity, since Christianity is a religion and has persisted.

One does not go from atheism to belief in Christianity, and then belief in the possibility of religion in general. If one has Christian faith, then one already believes in the reality of religion. So, if you require observable evidence for the truth of Christianity, one could begin with an argument based on these two observable features of the world. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you come to believe in the truth of religion, in general, based on these two observables. That being the case, your question is no longer, "Which religion is true and the rest false?" You already believe religion, in general, is true. So, what becomes your question, now? I'm not sure. But, one possibility could be, "Which religion has features that others don't, features which make better sense of my religious experience?" You're still going to be operating rationally, it's just your criteria have changed.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Because Christ is a different person than Buddha, Mohamed, Confucius, etc.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something that an objective person could verify for themselves, without having to take something told to them by others or through scripture on faith.

E.g. if someone says that they know that Christianity is true because they feel it in their heart, and that nobody from another religion could feel God like that, then I can't verify that.

If there was a religion with a holy book that made many specfic revelations that could be confirmed as true without excessive interpretation, then that is somethiing I could verify. E.g. a holy book that revealed the germ theory of disease in good detaiil.

It seems that not all people are able to post in this thread. One person PM'd me to say that near-death experiences, in the majority (or even more?), match the Judeo-Christian tradition. That's something I'm in the process of looking into by reviewing research on NDEs.

It seems that your response here is 'laced,' since you are likely already aware that religious books, even if more historically derived, are open to interpretation. You've used the qualifier "excessive" in application to the act of interpretation of the Bible, so this will also need to be further clarified by you so I know what your own hermeneutical praxis (and your academic acumen) is for determining what even CAN BE verified or not verified.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PS: I won't comment much here as I'm more interested in reading and less in getting into point by point arguments. I'm fine with others picking the egg up in their spoon and running with it. :) I am reading and thinking.

Well then, this is obfuscation on your part since this whole inquiry HAS to be more clear as what your epistemic standards are. Otherwise, we're just shooting hummingbirds with a blindfold. And why would anyone even bother doing that?

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hope that this is a clarification of my initial post not starting a 500 post argument that ends up being back and forward on semantics :)

Many religions claim that their holy books include revelations that the people of the time would not know. For one religion to stand out against the rest, the revelations in its holy text would require much less interpretation than those of other books. Or be very clearly better in some other way or ways. E.g. I find the claims for unknowable science in the Christian Bible, the Vedas, and the Qu'ran to be similar in this respect. And, I suspect that if I search further, I'll find more of the same. I'm looking for something that's clearly different from that.

EDIT:

Well then, this is obfuscation on your part since this whole inquiry HAS to be more clear as what your epistemic standards are. Otherwise, we're just shooting hummingbirds with a blindfold. And why would anyone even bother doing that?

I'm happy to issue clarifications, though there may be a gap in my responses as I fly over Russia in a short while.

Upvote 0