Ian McKellen Admits to Ripping Pages from The Bible

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
To sandwiches,
For Christians we have the promise of eternal life through Christ, so all done apart from Jesus will therefore not last like that
So, the good done here on earth won't last as much as eternal life. Got it. So, is good on earth worth doing then, if it's not as long-lasting as something eternal?

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, "inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these, you have done it unto Me."

And, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

Apparently Jesus thinks that good done on Earth is important.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
one can be acute and still make a point. in fact i would say acute points are better then obtuse ones

Personally, I'd prever points that are right over those that are either acute or obtuse! ;)

Reactions: Skaloop
Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, "inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these, you have done it unto Me."

And, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

Apparently Jesus thinks that good done on Earth is important.

Isaiah 1 says that we should cease doing evil and learn to do good, and the actions that were denoted good had nothing to do with faith, belief, or ritual actions. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think I proved my point rather well. She didn't want to hurt people but she knows she had, I would interpret that as sinful nature.
I would just interpret that as an example of how socially awkward I am. (And my social awkwardness is a result of my Asperger's Syndrome, not anything spiritual.) Nice try, though.

Upvote 0

david_x

I So Hate Consequences!!!!
Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I would just interpret that as an example of how socially awkward I am. (And my social awkwardness is a result of my Asperger's Syndrome, not anything spiritual.) Nice try, though.

Socially awkward, can not account for the times you've lied to your parents, stole, etc. (I'm sure you know much better than I)

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Socially awkward, can not account for the times you've lied to your parents, stole, etc. (I'm sure you know much better than I)
I've had reasons for doing all of those things. It's not like I just steal or lie without even thinking about it first.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've had reasons for doing all of those things. It's not like I just steal or lie without even thinking about it first.

But that doesn't make them right. That's his whole point. One could argue that it's even worse that you THINK about it before you do it. Premeditated lying and all that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But that doesn't make them right. That's his whole point. One could argue that it's even worse that you THINK about it before you do it. Premeditated lying and all that.
But that's not the point David is trying to make. He asked me if I "do hurtful things without meaning to, like they're part of your very nature" and I'm just trying to show him that I don't do that.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Once again, I apologize for double-posting. Blame my computer, lol. (Or blame me. Whatever. :p)

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!! You know you meant to double post...and you even thought about it ahead of time!! :p ^_^

Well, ya did say blame me...

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!! You know you meant to double post...and you even thought about it ahead of time!! :p ^_^

Well, ya did say blame me...
LOL. You caught me red-handed. :o I'm so ashamed... ^_^

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LOL. You caught me red-handed. :o I'm so ashamed... ^_^

at least you have guilt. It's a start. :p

(see, this is what I do like - debating with someone yet still being able to joke with them.)

Upvote 0