Milan
✟16,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had a passion for writing since the first day I can remember learning how to write my name. When I was a child, I would stay in my room writing whole notebooks full of stories. My grandmother recognized my gift early, she told me it was a gift from God. My school teachers also recognized it. They often praised my creativeness and generally great handwriting. While some children wrote a couple page papers, I had a hard time stopping once the pen met paper. I would write five and ten page papers in second grade.

In college I was able to pass all of my grammar tests without practice. Besides writing I can also read all day long. With all of that stated, I never used my talent. The only time I have a reason to write is when I am writing in my journal. I have never won a contest I have entered my writing into. I have applied to writing jobs and was denied a position. It is like I have a gift for no reason that I know of. Now I have a criminal justice degree and I hoped to use the degree to improve the knowledge of my writing but to what end?

...to what end?

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have had a passion for writing since the first day I can remember learning how to write my name. When I was a child, I would stay in my room writing whole notebooks full of stories. My grandmother recognized my gift early, she told me it was a gift from God. My school teachers also recognized it. They often praised my creativeness and generally great handwriting. While some children wrote a couple page papers, I had a hard time stopping once the pen met paper. I would write five and ten page papers in second grade.

In college I was able to pass all of my grammar tests without practice. Besides writing I can also read all day long. With all of that stated, I never used my talent. The only time I have a reason to write is when I am writing in my journal. I have never won a contest I have entered my writing into. I have applied to writing jobs and was denied a position. It is like I have a gift for no reason that I know of. Now I have a criminal justice degree and I hoped to use the degree to improve the knowledge of my writing but to what end?

...to what end?
To educate people :).

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With people being able to self publish books nowadays, have you ever tried writing a book?
Maybe a Christian book?
My wife is an avid reader and always complains there is a shortage of good quality Christian books.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

...to what end?
I gained an MA in English Literature in 1992 when I was a teacher but never got to use it so I wondered for a number of years whether I had wasted my time getting it. But it was an achievement and overcame my sense of inferiority because I was a high school dropout. When I left school I learned to type and ended up as a Post Office telegraph operator using teleprinters, so my typing was pretty fast. When I was a teachers college I did a secretarial course (ambitious for a male!) and increased my typing speed. In around 2006 I joined CF and started posting to it. After a couple of years I realised that I could express myself in writing on Christian topics, and because I had some pretty interesting doctrinal views that could be of help to people, I started writing articles for a prophetic magazine founded by a long-time friend. He published my articles and sent them around the world to members of his magazine's mailing list. Because I discovered a faith-based, no hype based set of steps to receive the gift of tongues, I wrote a booklet explaining my belief in the purpose and use of tongues as a prayer language, coupled with the steps of faith to receive it. This became very popular as a guide and I was asked to speak on it at prophetic conferences and to take workshop groups on receiving the gift of tongues. I know I can talk about that without censure from some who don't believe that way because this is a spiritual gifts forum. Then I decided to write a larger book including information about the gift of prophecy, an exposition of 1 Corinthians 14, and a rebuttal of cessationism. My friend was an expert at proofreading so I sent it to him and he suggested editing changes. I then self published it, and recently have put it on Amazon as a kindle and paperback book.

One thing I have learned from some of the most famous and successful authors is to write about what you know. Agatha Christie wrote about environments that she was familiar with and set her murder mysteries around them. Jane Austin lived in a particular social environment and her Pride and Prejudice was set in that environment and dealt with the customs that she intimately knew. Alistaire Mclean had a background in the Royal Navy, so he wrote his books with a sea flavour. Ian Fleming had an espionage background in the second world war, so these influenced his James Bond books. So, because I have been a committed Christian for many years and had knowledge and wisdom in the Spirit that could help people, I have been able to use my knowledge to write helpful books on aspects of the Christian faith. I have several books on Amazon now, and although I have given away more than I have actually sold, I have the satisfaction that I have been able to record in writing some of the things the Lord has shown me over the years.

I trust that I have given you some things to think about that might help you stir up your writing gift. I think that the key to good writing is to be a prolific reader. I find it difficult to choose action and adventure books in second hand bookshops now, because I have read so many of them over the years. When I wanted to know about the prophetic, healing and deliverance, I went to my favourite Christian second hand bookshop, and over a year bought up several hundred books of all the authors I could find in those topics.

I have several large bookcases of books now, because I had to buy a whole lot more books to enable to me study for my Mdiv, which I started at the age of 66 and finished after three years. I gained a 95% in my essays, and I am sure that the Lord stirred up my writing gift to enable that.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I self-published my books, after looking carefully at the title, copyright, contents, foot and end notes in the Christian books I was reading. I thought, "I could do that." I was already set up with a good computer and laser printer and had access to a colour photocopier at my work. I learned to print booklet style and my books were small enough to fold them in half and put three staples in the spines. Then I flattened the books by crushing them between two big books on my bookcase. I would print 20 at a time and sell them at the prophetic conference days that my friend ran in Auckland for a number of years. Then I wrote a book on spiritual abuse in churches which was too thick for staple binding so I went on Youtube and learned how to bookbind. I can bind books with thread, or hot glue gun, and have made a wooden book binding machine to make the job easier. The trimming was a problem and I have a paper trimmer, but my wife won't let me have a guillotine because she wants me to keep all my fingers! But there is a printshop just down the road from my work that does the trimming quite cheaply. I was given an order for 10 of my Baptism with the Spirit and If God Speaks to Me, He Can Surely Speak to You books, for an interdenominational conference over the January holiday, and he said that he would have no trouble selling them. I gave a free copy of my God Speaks book out free to members of my own church (which the church reimbursed me for) and received some very positive feedback.

So I would encourage you that if God is revealing things to you, commit them to writing and then you won't lose them when your memory of the revelation fades. I'm not talking about writing prophecies, but of doctrinal and practice insights that would help others. If you went back and read all my posts on CF over the years, you will have read most of what I have written in my books.

I want to also say that self-publishing is not the same as the "vanity" publishing. There are sites that charge money for that type of publishing and there is no guarantee of success in sales. Usually vanity publishing is done when the author's work is not really up to scratch to send to a normal publisher, but he wants his book in print anyway. Vanity publishers take advantage and make money out of such authors.

When I have written a book, I have submitted it to mature and experienced Christian friends who have a recognised ministry in the area of the topic of my book. When they have told me that my book would help quite a number of people, then, after taking their comments and suggestions on board, which many good publishers would give me anyway, I then do a published version and bind it to a standard that compares to many of the commercial ones that I have on my bookcase. It took me a lot of practice and a few failures to get to that point.

But then, one has to market the book, and I don't really have those skills. I have them on Amazon and every now and again I advertise on Facebook and on my own website. I haven't made the $100 mark yet and so I haven't received any royalties from Amazon yet. But getting sales isn't my principal goal, but getting the message out there is, and I have had better results giving books away to interested people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

...to what end?

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello:

Sounds like you were given much talent. I did not see in your wriiting Anything about your spirirual belief?
It is written: "What profit is it to a man if he gain the whole world and loses His soul?" There is only one that truly knows the state of ones soul, that is God Almighty. Those whom have been taken into the Body of Christ by His grace are His Elect. I personally, thank God for the last part, being called into the Body of Christ. I do not know how deep to go with your thoughts, for I do not know your views.
I will say this.It seems As though you have something working on your mind in relation to the Lord. If that is true, then you will find your way in the time set for you.

If I can more, let me know.

Andy Centek
centek@att.net

Upvote 0