• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

I would like to learn more

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by genryu1989, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ikonographics

ikonographics In patience I waited patiently on the Lord

+445
    Greece
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
  2. Josiah14

Josiah14 Make your sole goal acquisition of the Holy Spirit

+54
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  3. Josiah14

Josiah14 Make your sole goal acquisition of the Holy Spirit

+54
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
  4. Macarius

Macarius Progressive Orthodox Christian Supporter

+684
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Athanasius "On the Incarnation of Christ"
    Melito of Sardis "Paschal Homily"
    Irenaeus of Lyons "On the Apostolic Preaching"

An excellent summary is written by Clark Carlton (the only time I recommend him) in his book The Life

I'll look for online links to the first three, as there are probably free online translations - try google books for them.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. Barky

Barky Member Supporter

+80
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The relationship between our free will and God's Omniscience is a mystery. We know we have free will, we know God is omniscient, how the two intermingle is not explicitly given to us. We Orthodox are ok with such mysteries.

6. Macarius

+684
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I fixed the links to two of the above, but the second one is only excerpts (not the full text). They are excellent and relevant to the topic, but obviously a complete text would be preferable. The third work I cannot find online in any readible translation... You can purchase all three from St. Vladimir's Seminary Press in their popular patristics series, which is superb.

7. snowbirdling

snowbirdling someone

+8
    New Zealand
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Just out of curiousity, lets say that even if it was like "watching a movie" for God... why would it be a bad movie? Isn't the story of the world ultimately redemption and unity with God for those who love Him? That is a merciful and wonderful thing, isn't it?!

8. silouanathonite

silouanathonite Regular Member

+37
    Eastern Orthodox
    US-Republican
    I just listened to this podcast 2 days ago and it was a wonderful explanation although some it was a little over my head. I would probably have to listen to it a couple times.

9. katherine2001

katherine2001 Veteran

+965
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It may be a little over your head (and probably over mine), but Fr. Hopko does the best at explaining things so that the average person can understand. He has a lecture on CD called "Word of the Cross" that he gave in 1989 that I think is his best of the ones that I've heard from him (and I have heard a lot of his lectures).

10. Macarius

+684
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I love that lecture.