I would be ashamed to agree with Evolutionists!

J

Jet Black

ej said:
When I think about what might make me ashamed to be a human, war sprung to mind.
But humans are one of 3 species of animal which wage war.
I assume the others are the hymenoptera. They are a slightly odd case though, in that a whole colony can be regarded as a single organism in some ways, since the whole colony serves the germline of the queen. In a sense, ants or termites going to war is just about the same as a couple of animals having a scrap.

Hymenoptera colonies (includes bees and wasps) are stunningly cool.

And as for the appenix... it's a very useful organ for trainee surgeons ;)
finally a use is discovered for those pesky vestigial organs :p

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Baboons? I will have to look into that one.

well as for ants, war gets their genes propagated, and is an evolutionarily stable strategy; If no ant colonies went to war with one another, and all coexisted over a similar area, then a mutation happened which incited a certain ant colony to destroy any other ant colony it came across, then that mutant would invariably be the most successful and take over the entire ant population (on account of all th others being dead) - it would also allow the warring ants to define their catchment area of food gathering much better, stopping warring ants from crowding themselves out of existance.

Humans are a slightly different case, since our wars tend to be ideological wars, power wars or religious wars. It is a similar sort of thing, but the thing we are defending tends to be more mental.

Upvote 0

Meatros

The Meat is in the Middle!
Jun 25, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
✟8,613.00
Faith
Atheist
Witness13 said:
Isn't it shamfull to the human race to say that we all came from monkeys??? ;)

God Bless!

Witness

Now if only the world revolved our wants and dreams.

Unfortunately it doesn't. Welcome to the real world, I'm sorry you had to swallow the red pill.;)

Upvote 0

toff

Dec 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
✟9,038.00
Faith
Atheist
ej said:
The other two were ants and babboons apparently.

Makes me wonder whether war as a survival-instinct mechanism is any different to war as we know it... or whether our 'free will' is a product of imagination
Chimps, too. See Jane Goodall's work.

Upvote 0
F

ForeRunner

Jet Black said:
Humans are a slightly different case, since our wars tend to be ideological wars, power wars or religious wars. It is a similar sort of thing, but the thing we are defending tends to be more mental.

I'll have to disagree with you there. We have wars for the same reasons ants do... wealth(resources). All human wars were fought over money (in some form or another).

It is simple really...

Money = Power = Mates = Lots of Offspring

And that, at some level, is what we all want, our genes to carry on. Ah, natural selection. Of course, the result of our bigger brains allows us to check these basic desires somewhat, but it is all still there.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Witness13 said:

God Bless!

Witness
Isn't it a relief that the truth or falsehood of a scientific theory does not depend on your ego?

We evolved; deal with it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fiendishjester

Devil's advocate
Jun 28, 2003
in a field of pure consciousness
✟534.00
Faith
Hindu
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't mind being descended from other apes at all. I think it's pretty cool actually. The idea of all humans being descended from Adam and Eve kinda scares me...just think of all the incest...plus all those pictures of Adam and Eve bother me as well, I don't think I was descended from a Caucasian...

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me be devil's advocate a second.

How can human beings and monkeys/apes be related when human beings are so many characteristics that monkeys/apes don't have?

Like walking erect, having opposable thumbs, large brains, water-resistant skin which is useful for swimming, etc.
(Not to mention self-awareness, morality, philosophy, art, music, complex tools, etc.)

Upvote 0

DrLao

Jun 19, 2002
KCK
Visit site
✟756.00
Faith
Atheist
Irish_Guevara said:
How can human beings and monkeys/apes be related when human beings are so many characteristics that monkeys/apes don't have?

Like walking erect, having opposable thumbs, large brains, water-resistant skin which is useful for swimming, etc.
(Not to mention self-awareness, morality, philosophy, art, music, complex tools, etc.)
Apes have opposable thumbs and large brains and water-resistant skin. Apes don't, as a rule, walk erect, but some of them (the ones who are most closely related to us: gorillas, chimps and bonobos) knucklewalk, an intermediate stage between erect walking and spending all your time swinging from the trees. And we've got great fossils of creatures that are no longer around, but walked upright just as well as we do and yet had ape brains between their ears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Data

Veteran
Sep 15, 2003
Auckland
✟16,859.00
Faith
Atheist
Irish_Guevara said:
Let me be devil's advocate a second.

Apes have self-awareness, morality, and they can paint :p

They also have enormous brains compared to everything else. We just have bigger. Some monkeys also do walk erect some of the time. (gibbon I think?) And again, apes do have opposable thumbs. As well as simple tools.

Upvote 0
P

Pusherbot

Witness13 said:

God Bless!

Witness
Even though from what I've heard we evolution suggests we didn't come from monkeys, but instead have come from a common ancestor.
That is besides the point, the logical conclusions from a theory do not affect the veracity of the theory unless a conclusion can be made that is inconsistent with reality. Whether it is shameful or not that we came from monkey's doesn't determine whether or not we did.

Upvote 0