I want to write some novels, but I don't know if God approves of any of them.

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟36,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For years, I've been working on a couple of novels; one a fantasy novel set in the Elder Scrolls multiverse, and the other a horror novel set in East Tennessee about a girl who battles against demons and foils their attempt to invade Earth.
The problem is that I'm not sure whether or not God is okay with me writing these. I've had some bad stuff happen to me this year, which I suspected of being divine retribution for a lot of things I did throughout my life.
About the fantasy novel, those who are familiar with the Elder Scrolls series are aware that it takes place in a different multiverse than ours and features fictional gods instead of the real one. I know Aedra and Daedra are not real. I didn't create The Elder Scrolls. I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
About the horror novel, I'm under the impression that God does not want me to fictionalize any real person as a villain to kill off nor as committing a wrongdoing they did not commit in reality. But now, I'm wondering if demons are actually protected by this same policy even though they are God's enemies. I was going to fictionalize the Devil as committing a sin that I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to go into detail about on this forum. I know he loves all types of sin, but I've never heard nor read of him committing that one himself. And then there's the invasion attempt in the story.
I want to resume writing, but I'm afraid of being punished by God.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟911,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For years, I've been working on a couple of novels; one a fantasy novel set in the Elder Scrolls multiverse, and the other a horror novel set in East Tennessee about a girl who battles against demons and foils their attempt to invade Earth.
The problem is that I'm not sure whether or not God is okay with me writing these. I've had some bad stuff happen to me this year, which I suspected of being divine retribution for a lot of things I did throughout my life.
About the fantasy novel, those who are familiar with the Elder Scrolls series are aware that it takes place in a different multiverse than ours and features fictional gods instead of the real one. I know Aedra and Daedra are not real. I didn't create The Elder Scrolls. I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
About the horror novel, I'm under the impression that God does not want me to fictionalize any real person as a villain to kill off nor as committing a wrongdoing they did not commit in reality. But now, I'm wondering if demons are actually protected by this same policy even though they are God's enemies. I was going to fictionalize the Devil as committing a sin that I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to go into detail about on this forum. I know he loves all types of sin, but I've never heard nor read of him committing that one himself. And then there's the invasion attempt in the story.
I don't think God punishes us when we sin but He does convict us of sin through His Holy Spirit. If you are feeling guilt then that is His Spirit working in you. Remember, if it is not in truth or in love then it is not of His Kingdom but of this world. Blessings.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟217,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Your Christian beliefs will flow into your writings. Christian truths are found even in writings by the unsaved. So yes, it's okay. It's even okay to write about the devil & demons. B/c I'm going to go out on a limb & say the devil & demons lose.

But let me ask you: could your time be better spent then fan-fic writing?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟99,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd say go for it. Write the stories, as long as evil gets destroyed by good in the end. God prevails. I am planning on writing a short sci-fi plot set in 1918-1924 where a dictator controls the weather using cloud-seeding aircraft and rockets on a continent located on an alien planet (planet name is Xanadu) with mid-1940s earthling level technologies.

Title: Xanadu Wastelands Series #2 - Atmospheric Warfare

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟36,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your Christian beliefs will flow into your writings. Christian truths are found even in writings by the unsaved. So yes, it's okay. It's even okay to write about the devil & demons. B/c I'm going to go out on a limb & say the devil & demons lose.

But let me ask you: could your time be better spent then fan-fic writing?
Yes, in the horror story, the Devil and the demons lose. The female protagonist, who turns out to be God's chosen champion in the conflict between good and evil, fights the demons with guns, a blade, and her martial arts skills, but after killing the Devil's self-made champion, she calls on the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit to deliver the coup de grace.
In the Elder Scrolls story, the Ayleid elves and the Daedra lose.

Fictional writing is something I really enjoy doing. Also, I thought maybe my horror novel, if it gets published, might scare some Satanists into running to Jesus. I read at least 2 chapters of the Holy Bible daily. I enjoy bicycling, but I haven't done that in months, although I'd love to get back to doing it. I've also been trying to turn my swimming pool into a garden, but progress on it has been halted, although I'd like to get it finished.

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟36,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd say go for it. Write the stories, as long as evil gets destroyed by good in the end. God prevails. I am planning on writing a short sci-fi plot set in 1918-1924 where a dictator controls the weather using cloud-seeding aircraft and rockets on a continent located on an alien planet (planet name is Xanadu) with mid-1940s earthling level technologies.

Title: Xanadu Wastelands Series #2 - Atmospheric Warfare
Glad to hear from you again, AlexB23. I've missed you.

I'm going to try to muscle my way back into writing. I'm scared though. Please pray all goes well, and God doesn't punish me.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟99,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Glad to hear from you again, AlexB23. I've missed you.

I'm going to try to muscle my way back into writing. I'm scared though. Please pray all goes well, and God doesn't punish me.
I have missed you also. Here is something that will help you get over being afraid:

Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Hopefully this helps. God knows us humans can be scared, but He will help us through these situations.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well, I think it's like they say. If you have to ask then you already know the answer.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟99,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I think it's like they say. If you have to ask then you already know the answer.
Maybe, but DavidTheGnome should be allowed to pursue his interests, as long as they are safe, which they are.

Also, what are those weird screws/bolts on your PFP? Looks like some aircraft parts or something for a 1940s circuit.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe, but DavidTheGnome should be allowed to pursue his interests, as long as they are safe, which they are.

Also, what are those weird screws/bolts on your PFP? Looks like some aircraft parts or something for a 1940s circuit.

No, those are homemade bullets. I cast my own bullets for many of my guns. Those are Elmer Keith's famous design, the 245 grain SWC bulet for the 44 Mag.
I have some guns that have never had a factory bullet fired through them.

It's the copper jacketed bullets that are the most expensive part of ammunition. I cut them out of that profit! So I can load 50 rounds of them for about 10 bucks, which is about 1 dollar each cheaper than anything you can find for sale in stores. You can find some for $1.50 per round in 20 round boxes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟99,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, those are homemade bullets. I cast my own bullets for many of my guns. Those are Elmer Keith's famous design, the 245 grain SWC bulet for the 44 Mag.
I have some guns that have never had a factory bullet fired through them.

It's the copper jacketed bullets that are the most expensive part of ammunition. I cut them out of that profit! So I can load 50 rounds of them for about 10 bucks, which is about 1 dollar each cheaper than anything you can find for sale in stores. You can find some for $1.50 per round in 20 round boxes.
Interesting stuff. For me, I never liked using bullets, and went to a month long summer camp twice as a 12 and 13 year-old, and in that camp, the first two weeks were archery (which I enjoyed), while the last two weeks were riflery. I didn't enjoy the latter, as I never liked touching guns. I did score somewhat okay in both archery and riflery though. But canoeing was my favorite sport at that camp, and ecology was my favorite class there, and I recommended to the camp during a design essay and drawing competition to add a rain barrel with a filter to the bathroom sinks, and got first place for the design during the 2012 camp session. No rain barrel was added, as I checked Google maps a few years later in 2014 or so, and nothing was attached to the outbuilding. :)

But it is cool that you make your own projectiles. That means free deer meat for you, though my parents and I don't hunt ourselves, as that is too much work, and cutting up a deer grosses me out.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟149,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
C.S. Lewis created the fictional demon Screwtape for The Screwtape Letters. I think having demons do bad things is fine. As for the Elder Scrolls, if you're writing in an established universe that's like writing in another vocabulary. Kind of like Lewis using the name Aslan for the Narnian form of Jesus. I wouldn't worry about that. The main thing is that the message is good and I'm pretty sure it'll be better than a lot of the messages in recent stuff.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting stuff. For me, I never liked using bullets, and went to a month long summer camp twice as a 12 and 13 year-old, and in that camp, the first two weeks were archery (which I enjoyed), while the last two weeks were riflery. I didn't enjoy the latter, as I never liked touching guns. I did score somewhat okay in both archery and riflery though. But canoeing was my favorite sport at that camp, and ecology was my favorite class there, and I recommended to the camp during a design essay and drawing competition to add a rain barrel with a filter to the bathroom sinks, and got first place for the design during the 2012 camp session. No rain barrel was added, as I checked Google maps a few years later in 2014 or so, and nothing was attached to the outbuilding. :)

But it is cool that you make your own projectiles. That means free deer meat for you, though my parents and I don't hunt ourselves, as that is too much work, and cutting up a deer grosses me out.

You get used to it. Yeah, I've killed multiple deers and my son got an Elk. Elk meat is soo good. Way better than Beef or venison. The gun I have that has put the most meat on the table over the years is my .22 rifle. That little 10/22 has more kills than my bigger hunting rifles! I'm not sure if it was more weight in meat or not but the 22 rifle sure put a lot of suppers on the table. Lots and lots of rabbits and some squirrels too. My dog loves BBQ Squirrel! We eat tonight!

I dont like fighting or war but if worst comes to worst, I'd rather have a gun and not need it rather than need one and dont have it. You'll prolly be married soon, right? As the Husband you are responsible for the family safety. She night not like guns and say dont get one. But one day, depending on the circumstances, she may turn around and say, protect us! Get a gun. So you better have an ace in the hole so you dont let her down!

Jesus said in scripture if you dont have a sword, then sell your Cloak and buy one.

Luke 22:36-38
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.../KJV

Back then, a mans garment (cloak) is their outermost garment. It was the most important garment that men wore. It kept the rain off of them, could be used as a sleeping bag, protected them from the harsh sun. Like I said, very important. So to sell off your most important garment to buy a sword with...it sound like it is important. You can buy another coat later but right now, get a gun! Lol. Well, God did send them into battle a lot in the OT. So even if you don't like war, they may bring it to you and give you no choice. I'll bet you'll wish you had a gun that day, and your wife!

It's actually very simple to defend your family by shooting well. You proved that by doing pretty good at the Riflery portion of camp. Look at it this way, yes there people who are champion shooters and can shoot 1/2" size groups, but that is only sport shooting. In real life, if you can shoot 6" groups, then that's head shots all day long, right? I can shoot 3 shot groups with my deer rifle and get 1-1/8" groups at 100 yards. But der and elk have like a 12-14" kill zone! So dont worry about shooting teeny groups because even if you can't, you can still hunt, you can still defend.

I'd reccommend that you buy an AR15. There's a reason that everybody and their mother makes them because it is such a reliable design and so easy to shoot and ammo is everywhere because that's what the Military uses.

Jesus didn't say go overboard and be a Super-Prepper, He said, two is enough. Indicating to have something around, a couple at least.

But I've always been of the mind that...Two is one and one is none.

And the day is coming when the only use for a pistol will be to fight your way back to your rifle that you shouldn't have laid down in the first place!

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟99,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You get used to it. Yeah, I've killed multiple deers and my son got an Elk. Elk meat is soo good. Way better than Beef or venison. The gun I have that has put the most meat on the table over the years is my .22 rifle. That little 10/22 has more kills than my bigger hunting rifles! I'm not sure if it was more weight in meat or not but the 22 rifle sure put a lot of suppers on the table. Lots and lots of rabbits and some squirrels too. My dog loves BBQ Squirrel! We eat tonight!

I dont like fighting or war but if worst comes to worst, I'd rather have a gun and not need it rather than need one and dont have it. You'll prolly be married soon, right? As the Husband you are responsible for the family safety. She night not like guns and say dont get one. But one day, depending on the circumstances, she may turn around and say, protect us! Get a gun. So you better have an ace in the hole so you dont let her down!

Jesus said in scripture if you dont have a sword, then sell your Cloak and buy one.

Luke 22:36-38
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.../KJV

Back then, a mans garment (cloak) is their outermost garment. It was the most important garment that men wore. It kept the rain off of them, could be used as a sleeping bag, protected them from the harsh sun. Like I said, very important. So to sell off your most important garment to buy a sword with...it sound like it is important. You can buy another coat later but right now, get a gun! Lol. Well, God did send them into battle a lot in the OT. So even if you don't like war, they may bring it to you and give you no choice. I'll bet you'll wish you had a gun that day, and your wife!

It's actually very simple to defend your family by shooting well. You proved that by doing pretty good at the Riflery portion of camp. Look at it this way, yes there people who are champion shooters and can shoot 1/2" size groups, but that is only sport shooting. In real life, if you can shoot 6" groups, then that's head shots all day long, right? I can shoot 3 shot groups with my deer rifle and get 1-1/8" groups at 100 yards. But der and elk have like a 12-14" kill zone! So dont worry about shooting teeny groups because even if you can't, you can still hunt, you can still defend.

I'd reccommend that you buy an AR15. There's a reason that everybody and their mother makes them because it is such a reliable design and so easy to shoot and ammo is everywhere because that's what the Military uses.

Jesus didn't say go overboard and be a Super-Prepper, He said, two is enough. Indicating to have something around, a couple at least.

But I've always been of the mind that...Two is one and one is none.

And the day is coming when the only use for a pistol will be to fight your way back to your rifle that you shouldn't have laid down in the first place!
Nah, I will not get a gun, ever. Plus, for me, having no gun, that means if someone were to attack me, I will be with God in his Kingdom sooner. :) But if owning a military grade weapon is that is what you wish, I will not judge you. Just be sure it is locked up safely and according to storage standards in your state/city.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nah, I will not get a gun, ever. Plus, for me, having no gun, that means if someone were to attack me, I will be with God in his Kingdom sooner. :) But if owning a military grade weapon is that is what you wish, I will not judge you. Just be sure it is locked up safely and according to storage standards in your state/city.

Store it? Then it would take precious time to get to if there was an sudden emergency. So I only store it when I leave, lol. Have you ever had a home invasion? I have. Well, let's call it an attempted home invasion because access was denied! I answer the door wearing a gun unless I am expecting someone. But since I already carried my pistol everywhere I was lucky to have it on when they knocked on my door. "I'm broke down can I use your phone?"
And my Spidey sense went off. So I said no, and it was on...we were fighting on my porch. So at the first break in the hamd to hand (he took two steps back to shake it off or get his breath or something so then I had an oppurtunity to draw mypistol and control the situation!

If I would've had to run to my bedroom and get out the safe box for a pistol or rifle then I probably would have lost that fight and they got in? So storage of weapons would not work for me. So when the kids were young I started just keeping the pistol on me so there is no way that a kid could possibly be in there getting into it. And the deer rifle is in the safe unloaded.

Me and my Wife's very first date was to go shoot 22 rifles! I had plans to go anyway, so when I met her I just took her too and we had a Blast! Then when it came time to live together, she seen the extent of my gun collection and she was pregnant so thought of the kids and it scared her so she said, if one gun ever goes off in the house, then they're all gone and you will get rid of them. She was serious.

I know that it is impossible to make any gun childproof. Hmm, what then? Oh! Make the child gunproof. You can't even keep your child safe from guns by not owning any. Because one day one of their friends will pull out dad's 38 from the sock drawer...so how shall you protect them then? If the kids don't know what to do and how to react then they will not be safe. Nice try at not ever keeping guns in the house so everyone is safe, but there is no safety in ignorance. If the kids are to be safe then they have to learn all about guns and the ins and outs of safety and the 4 rules of gun safety. You have to talk about it.

I went right out and bought a used Ruger Super Bearcat 22 revolver pistol and bought some 22 shorts and filled it up and took them 3 year olds to the target range! I shook up a can of soda and let them shoot it and it went flying & spraying pop everywhere. Dramatic to kid! (This is real life, this is Not TV!). Then I went and picked up the split pop can and handed it to him and said, now fix it. Make it better. The little guy looked at me like I'm stupid, lol! Because you cant fix it. "This is what would happen to your mom or your brother if you shot them! This is real life, this is not TV. And them boys understood. I hammered it into them. Now my girl had fun on that shooting date, she had never shot before. And she did like it some and came sometimes but it started being less and less so I told her he had to come. We have two basically toddlers with one parent on a hot range? When I have my arms around one of my sons going to shoot, I have to take my eyes off of my other son! Two kids, two parents, you have to go or one kid will be unsafe at all times. So she came everytime and I taught her just like the kids. I even had her shooting the big boomers like the 44 Mag. She was good. She got a snubnose 38 real quick. She liked the idea of what if I am at work and not home and she has trouble? In the Gravest Exteme of circumstances, she may have to defend the home and family herself. Not one gun ever went off in our home because my entire family was gunproffed!

Good reading on the subject:
"In The Gravest Extreme" By Massad Ayoob
"GunProof Your Children" by Massad Ayoob

Cheap online.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟99,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Store it? Then it would take precious time to get to if there was an sudden emergency. So I only store it when I leave, lol. Have you ever had a home invasion? I have. Well, let's call it an attempted home invasion because access was denied! I answer the door wearing a gun unless I am expecting someone. But since I already carried my pistol everywhere I was lucky to have it on when they knocked on my door. "I'm broke down can I use your phone?"
And my Spidey sense went off. So I said no, and it was on...we were fighting on my porch. So at the first break in the hamd to hand (he took two steps back to shake it off or get his breath or something so then I had an oppurtunity to draw mypistol and control the situation!

If I would've had to run to my bedroom and get out the safe box for a pistol or rifle then I probably would have lost that fight and they got in? So storage of weapons would not work for me. So when the kids were young I started just keeping the pistol on me so there is no way that a kid could possibly be in there getting into it. And the deer rifle is in the safe unloaded.

Me and my Wife's very first date was to go shoot 22 rifles! I had plans to go anyway, so when I met her I just took her too and we had a Blast! Then when it came time to live together, she seen the extent of my gun collection and she was pregnant so thought of the kids and it scared her so she said, if one gun ever goes off in the house, then they're all gone and you will get rid of them. She was serious.

I know that it is impossible to make any gun childproof. Hmm, what then? Oh! Make the child gunproof. You can't even keep your child safe from guns by not owning any. Because one day one of their friends will pull out dad's 38 from the sock drawer...so how shall you protect them then? If the kids don't know what to do and how to react then they will not be safe. Nice try at not ever keeping guns in the house so everyone is safe, but there is no safety in ignorance. If the kids are to be safe then they have to learn all about guns and the ins and outs of safety and the 4 rules of gun safety. You have to talk about it.

I went right out and bought a used Ruger Super Bearcat 22 revolver pistol and bought some 22 shorts and filled it up and took them 3 year olds to the target range! I shook up a can of soda and let them shoot it and it went flying & spraying pop everywhere. Dramatic to kid! (This is real life, this is Not TV!). Then I went and picked up the split pop can and handed it to him and said, now fix it. Make it better. The little guy looked at me like I'm stupid, lol! Because you cant fix it. "This is what would happen to your mom or your brother if you shot them! This is real life, this is not TV. And them boys understood. I hammered it into them. Now my girl had fun on that shooting date, she had never shot before. And she did like it some and came sometimes but it started being less and less so I told her he had to come. We have two basically toddlers with one parent on a hot range? When I have my arms around one of my sons going to shoot, I have to take my eyes off of my other son! Two kids, two parents, you have to go or one kid will be unsafe at all times. So she came everytime and I taught her just like the kids. I even had her shooting the big boomers like the 44 Mag. She was good. She got a snubnose 38 real quick. She liked the idea of what if I am at work and not home and she has trouble? In the Gravest Exteme of circumstances, she may have to defend the home and family herself. Not one gun ever went off in our home because my entire family was gunproffed!

Good reading on the subject:
"In The Gravest Extreme" By Massad Ayoob
"GunProof Your Children" by Massad Ayoob

Cheap online.
This is not a weapons thread, but a thread about novels brother. Aussies don't have to deal with gun violence as much as in the US, cos they banned high powered weapons. But I will not debate here.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is not a weapons thread, but a thread about novels brother. Aussies don't have to deal with gun violence as much as in the US, cos they banned high powered weapons. But I will not debate here.

I know.....
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to derail the thread. But I like talking about guns and that question about my bullets got me going. Doh.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, lol.

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,916.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the point of antagonizing your audience by the your novel? Your aim is to win and influence your listeners, not to antagonize them.

Upvote 0