• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I want to stop feeling bad because of others

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes people relieve their anger by insulting me for no reason and it always makes me feel bad. It feels like I deserve it even if they're strangers and have just met me. How can I stop feeling bad because of this?

Understand that insulting people are really disappointed in themselves. They're just taking it out on you. Many times, they are jealous of you.

I'd advise trying to be around nicer people, and ignoring those that aren't so nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes people relieve their anger by insulting me for no reason and it always makes me feel bad. It feels like I deserve it even if they're strangers and have just met me. How can I stop feeling bad because of this?

Only an ignorant person grastuitously insults other people.
If this is happening to you seek to ignore it or offer them up to God asking him to have mercy on them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
John is so right! My father was taught that blue collar workers are losers. It must have been drilled into him. Don't we need people who do all kinds of work?

"How cool is it that the same God that created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you too." - Author Unknown

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"it always makes me feel bad."

"IT" doesn't do anything to you.

REACTION. The greatest threat to my emotional well-being comes not from outside, but from within. It is not what other people do or say to me that causes me pain, but the matter in which I react to what they do or say. The problem is not their action, but my reaction. I cannot control them, but I can control myself. In other words, no one can hurt me, upset me, make me sad or glad, UNLESS I LET THEM.

Helps to emotional stability

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Understand that insulting people are really disappointed in themselves. They're just taking it out on you. Many times, they are jealous of you.

I'd advise trying to be around nicer people, and ignoring those that aren't so nice.
I'm trying to convince myself that the insults are meaningless, but it's a kind of reflex. When I'm insulted, I immediately become sadder and often depressed regardless of who said it.

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only an ignorant person grastuitously insults other people.
If this is happening to you seek to ignore it or offer them up to God asking him to have mercy on them.
I never say anything back to them and sometimes bless them a little in return, but it's still hard to ignore it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never say anything back to them and sometimes bless them a little in return, but it's still hard to ignore it.

There is little point in saying anything to them as it only feeds their agression.

Yes it is hard, all I can suggest is to pray for them.

Upvote 0