looking4joy

Looking for Joy
Jul 30, 2012
✟15,671.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been around the church for lots of years. Logically and intellectually I believe, and have convinced everyone around me and myself that I am a believer (not on purpose though - I haven't been trying to deceive anybody, if that makes sense.) It's been about 8 years ago I was baptized, because I thought I believed. But through the years God has shown me I do not believe from my heart, and it's been tough to admit that this is the case. My pastors tell me that I'm not thinking straight, that I've been saved for a long time, but I really don't think so.

I am praying for God to heal my heart that's so dark, it doesn't even believe in God's love for me. I've asked repeatedly for Jesus to break through to my heart and come and live there.

Has anyone had a similar experience that they found out the hard way they really don't believe the love of God from their heart, only intellectually? I hope God will help me believe.

Tayhana

Aug 18, 2014
✟200.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I totally understand this. I used to find it hard to truly believe god was there with me all the tome, and that i wasnt just trying to see him in things. Cause sometimes its really hard to believe in something that youve never seen or talked to. But i know god will find a way into your heart somehow and until then i will be praying for you!

Upvote 0

chrisstavrous

Mar 2, 2014
Melbourne
✟485.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been around the church for lots of years. Logically and intellectually I believe, and have convinced everyone around me and myself that I am a believer (not on purpose though - I haven't been trying to deceive anybody, if that makes sense.) It's been about 8 years ago I was baptized, because I thought I believed. But through the years God has shown me I do not believe from my heart, and it's been tough to admit that this is the case. My pastors tell me that I'm not thinking straight, that I've been saved for a long time, but I really don't think so.

I am praying for God to heal my heart that's so dark, it doesn't even believe in God's love for me. I've asked repeatedly for Jesus to break through to my heart and come and live there.

Has anyone had a similar experience that they found out the hard way they really don't believe the love of God from their heart, only intellectually? I hope God will help me believe.

Many people make the mistake of trying to change their external lives for god only, thinking that it leads them to true repentance. But this is not what god wants us to do, read and meditate on this verse.

Joel 2:13 And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

One can't have any sort of love for God without first having an intellectual grasp of loving God and being loved by Him. Really, though, God imparts to us His love which we then reflect back to Him. Our own corrupt, selfish, human love is not what God desires from us. If you don't have a heartfelt, godly love for God, ask Him to give it to you. You can't muster up the right kind of love from within yourself.

Selah.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟840,595.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love and faith can grow with use, so what ever Love and faith you have start using it to help others. Start small and grow. You could start by washing the dishes out of gratitude for what God has done for you and not because you have to for some reason. Do something out of just pure Love that others might never known you did.

Upvote 0
R

Receiver

...Has anyone had a similar experience that they found out the hard way they really don't believe the love of God from their heart, only intellectually? I hope God will help me believe.

My faith and was intellectual, I didn't twig that "faith in God" means expecting Him to do what he says ... I didn't even realise what he says, I just had a load of words telling me what to belive & how to behave! ... religion NOT relationship.

Here's my story:

I was brought up Church of England, but I only went because my dad wanted me to go, there was nothing inspiring there for me so when I left for University I stopped going. While there I started to consider the purpose of my life, and realised I didn't have one that satisfied me, "the world was my oyster", but there was no pearl !

So when some people who obviously believed in the bible spoke to me I decided to investigate properly. I started going to various church meetings and was told to pray a “sinners prayer”, believing, and as such I was "a Christian". For the next 18 months I continued going to meetings and reading books by people considered to be "Christian leaders" to try and work out God's will for me, without success! All I got was opinions.

Then I met people who were not going to different churches and reading lots of books about God, they had a confidence and contentment I had not attained to, despite my efforts. I realised my relationship with God was mostly one-way, from me, not the daily, growing 2-way relationship they seemed to have.

They had received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his people in as only he knows his perfect will for us, it allows him to minister his grace & love to our hearts - 1 Cor. 14v2, 4; Jude 20-21). They also had other direct input and leading from God. After a while I realised I was getting nowhere spiritually so for the first time I actually prayed expecting God to *do* something... namely give me the same as them or whatever else I needed.

One evening I was alone in my room, not doubting or fearing, just believing God had said yes to me (because he could have no favourites), and wanting nothing more, I prayed and spoke in tongues and in the days that followed I realised I had the Life spoken of in the bible, whereas before I was trying to be something I was not! I used to worry and get bored, now I see God opening my understanding about why things are the way they are, and more importantly, what life can be like.
I left the old churches because I could see they was as I was before, not as I wanted to be. The church I'm now in is like the one in the new testament, all members have the new Life, we have a unity I never found before. I now have contentment and fulfilling purpose that only the living God can give. I am now able to know God's thoughts and live according to His nature because I have His heart and mind through the Holy Spirit in me, so long as I'm disciplined to look at things God's way . . . that's the "good fight".

I know that God has no favourites, what he has done for one, he will do for another.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,185.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you mean by believing "from your heart?"

If you intellectually believe, then you believe. You may not always "feel" something, & that's okay.

Remember your baptism & trust in what God did for you. You were sealed & marked as Christ's own. You identified with His death & resurrection. You joined His Body, the Church. :angel:

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟261,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean by believing "from your heart?"

If you intellectually believe, then you believe. You may not always "feel" something, & that's okay.

Remember your baptism & trust in what God did for you. You were sealed & marked as Christ's own. You identified with His death & resurrection. You joined His Body, the Church. :angel:
I agree. Spiritual dryness can be very common as well. Don't stress out about it. :)

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Certainly, I don't know you, your church, nor what your church teaches about salvation, but I do know what the Bible teaches about salvation. In Mark 1:15, Jesus said, "repent and believe the gospel." Repent means to change your mind and the gospel is the 'death, burial & resurrection' of Jesus. So to be saved, we are to change our mind about Jesus and believe in His gospel.

Romans 10:9-10, 13(NLT) tells us,
9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.

13 For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

looking4joy, if you have not followed what the Bible says here, about being saved, then I would urge you to do so, to be saved and be a part of God's family.

If you have followed what the Bible says here, about being saved, then you are saved. God does not lie and the Bible is His Word, so if you follow what the Bible says about being saved, then take God at His Word, you are saved. It's not a feeling, its a fact. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Trust God!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Bless yer heart, we are admonished to "examine" ourselves. This is a GOOD thing. If you have no confirmation from the Holy Spirit that you are a child of the Most High God, then examining yourself is profitable. Get your guidance and direction from GOD Himself through His Word. In the meantime i'm praying for you, that God shines His Light and His Truth into your heart, mind, and soul, and that He grants you what you seek. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." ~Matthew 11:28-30

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear looking4joy. God Loves you, and Jesus died for all of us. In Matthew 22: Jesus gives us very good advice, try to follow it, and I am sure you will be filled with joy. Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The second is like it: love our neighbour as we love ourselves." Then Jesus tells us: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our love, freely given and No conditions tagged on. Start be treating all you know and all you meet, friend or not friend, treat them as you would love to be treated. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: " ask and you shall receive," there ask for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all Love and Joy with all around you. God will see your loving efforts, and God will bless you. Keep asking for Love and Joy, then thank God and share all Love and Joy with your neighbour: all around you. You might stumble and forget at times, but then ask God to forgive you, and carry on loving and caring.
The Bible tells us " Repent and be Born Again," give up all selfishness and start Loving God above all else, and love your neighbour as you love yourself.
The Holy Spirit will help and guide you, and Jesus our Saviour will lead you all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. Remember that God Loves you always, and Jesus died that we might live. I say this with love, lookin4joy. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Ellwood3

Oct 23, 2013
God's magic forest
✟483.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think you should feel very encouraged. First because you believe, at least intellectually. Many people don’t have that. Many are in tangles, fighting themselves about their intellectual belief.

Second, you can be encouraged because God is working with you to have something much better than you have now. You are in a relationship with Him.

Third, be encouraged, because you—though “it's been tough to admit”—you have admitted, you have responded.

Be encouraged because you aren’t satisfied. You are seeking something more than a dry religious experience.

Be encouraged because you are saved. You have “asked repeatedly for Jesus to break through to my heart and come and live there.”

Besides that, you are in some very good company.

Faith is a journey, and that’s what you are on.

Upvote 0

Aver

Apostle, The Kingdom Investor
Mar 11, 2015
I'm in GOD's Will
✟15,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Dear Looking4joy

Sometimes we can get so caught up in the Church experience that we neglect the most important part which is having our own Personal Relationship with Daily Fellowship with GOD IN CHRIST JESUS, Which IS HIS WORD. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing and hearing and hearing, and hearing and hearing and hearing by THE WORD OF GOD and without Believing what GOD Says, it is impossible to please HIM. Romans 10:17; Hebrews 11:6; Psalm Chap. 1 When we come to GOD IN CHRIST JESUS, we have to be Re-Educated from the mis-education and there must be a mind renewal for transformation because now we have Received THE SPIRIT OF GOD, not the world. Romans 12:1-3; I Corinthians 2:12 The only way to Believe THE LORD is spending quality time with HIM {HIS WORD}, Meditating upon HIM and when you Pray, have some quiet time afterwards and allow HIM to speak to you. As with any Relationship there must be dialogue also, for THE KINGDOM OF GOD is all about Righteousness, Peace and Joy in THE HOLY GHOST. Romans 14:17-19 :)

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bless yer heart, we are admonished to "examine" ourselves. This is a GOOD thing. If you have no confirmation from the Holy Spirit that you are a child of the Most High God, then examining yourself is profitable. Get your guidance and direction from GOD Himself through His Word. In the meantime i'm praying for you, that God shines His Light and His Truth into your heart, mind, and soul, and that He grants you what you seek. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." ~Matthew 11:28-30

That is great advice

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheJust

Jul 15, 2012
✟7,771.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private

First, most likely no one you've ever met knows the love of God not your pastures, no one. They have delusional mind sets that make them seem very convincing yes. However if one was truly to come in contact with the love of God that one would no longer attend church because they would no longer fit into the mold of structured religion.

Now, I said no one you've ever met knows the love of God because its extremely rare that someone has the kind of dedication that is required in order to know it, beyond doubt. The truth is nowhere to be found in words or ritual it must be found inside yourself because it is the natural state of existence.

In order to see the truth one must be focused on it every waking moment of their life, that is to see nothing else but the truth. Every moment must be spent on silence of the mind and forgiveness of past present and future, forgiveness must be absolute. The level of forgiveness required cannot be overstated, you need to be ready to forgive anyone for anything anytime, someone could beat you up and steal your car, you forgive them because that's where God is.

God must become your only desire. When you have nothing else, all that is left is God.

The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
Psalm 19:7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

christopher morgan

May 9, 2015
melbourne
✟15,236.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I can say that for most of my life I too have always had a more intellectual love of Our Lord and his teachings and I found it hard to think of God as a father or personal being who loved me. I guess I never really got my mind or spirit fully out of this modern, material world enough to make that full soulful connection. Or as Jesus said, I must be born again of water and spirit and perhaps mine has just been a long labour. Of course we all know that if we are living a life that is not honourable or filled with any thing we would be ashamed of if it was made public, then that will certainly block our heart connection to God and Our Lord. But you sound like a nice person so I expect it is not that. But it always helps to just do a check of the way your living to see if there is anything that needs to be corrected. So maybe it is just the modern age of reason and science along with the massive culture of chasing happiness through material possessions that may cast doubt over truly believing in God or Our Lord even existing, let alone actually feeling their love in our hearts and minds. We all face that pressure now.

Belief in God's Love does take faith. In your position I would start by actually using your intellect to establish if you think Our Lord's teachings are correct. Sort of like working backwards you might say. When you see Our Lord say, Love your enemies pray for those who persecute you, love one another as I have loved you, turn the other cheek, he who is without sin can cast the first stone, give to Cesar what is Cesar's and to God what is god's, the good Samaritan parable, remove the beam from your own eye before you can see to remove the mote from your brother's eye, etc. do you really see the beautiful, profound, timeless truth in what he is saying. Looking around this material world do you yourself feel that what Jesus has taught is the most perfect way of life that we as human beings could strive for. If you can establish in your intellect that his teachings are truly wonderful and wise then you have a practical base to stand on to go forward into faith. As Jesus said if you follow his teachings it is like building your house on a rock and nothing shall overcome it.

Now we can know from His teachings and His life that he was special and that his teachings and way of life are still as relevant today as ever. So we can proceed based just on an objective intellectual level to follow Him. And even that by itself is a good outcome. However feeling Our Lord's living love and therefore God's love in our heart and mind does require less intellect and more faith, feeling and trust. Again working backwards you can use trust to move a step closer to faith and feeling. If you believe in the teachings of Jesus as being absolutely correct about the way we should live and act then you have trust in them. Therefore you must have some degree of trust in Jesus who taught them.

So how do you get from this logic of trusting Jesus to feeling Our Lord's or God's love in your heart and mind and that you are indeed loved? Wish I could give a simple logical recipe for you but we are now talking about things that seem to be not logical. Does 'Love your enemies,' sound logical? Most people would say no. This is where we as Christians must have deep faith in Our Lord and practice the teachings in our daily life in order for our faith to come alive. We are reaching out in faith to heaven and trying to show how it is there by following Our Lord. The more we love as our Lord did we should grow in confidence and we will feel changes in our hearts and minds as that love we are connecting to, being Our Lord's and God's, will begin to remove all doubts and fill us with a spiritual awakening. It may take time but it will happen as we trust more in Our Lord's teachings. Of course prayer is also a powerful way of connecting to Our Lord but I think it comes more easily as we feel love flowing through our life to others around us.

Anyway you are loved by the people here on the forum to start with and I appreciate your post as it forces me to think more deeply about trying to feel that love of God and Our Lord in my life as I too, due to pain, often feel isolated at times. May Our Lord's love fill your heart and mind,christopher

Upvote 0

wndwalkr99

I'd change my mind
Jun 22, 2013
Nebraska
✟13,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Regardless of what the bible and the bible believers may want you to believe, belief is from the brain, not the heart.

Sounds like you're actually using your brain. Congrats.

Upvote 0