Kolbu
✟21,186.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Most people have heard that you can die of grief. But how? Yes, you breathe, and your heart beats, because you want to live. It's not like it's an automatic brain-function. That is why you can also control your breathing, because you do it because you want to live. So, say you lose someone you love then, and lose the will to live, then the heart would have stopped. I don't know if this has actually happened then, but since the heart beats, and you breathe, because you want to live, then that is the theory, possible. The soul is in the brain-stem, not the brain, so it is controlled from there. I think it is possible then, to just lose the will to live, completely. Have you been with someone for maybe 50 years, and that's all for the person, so why not?

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Most people have heard that you can die of grief. But how? Yes, you breathe, and your heart beats, because you want to live. It's not like it's an automatic brain-function. That is why you can also control your breathing, because you do it because you want to live. So, say you lose someone you love then, and lose the will to live, then the heart would have stopped. I don't know if this has actually happened then, but since the heart beats, and you breathe, because you want to live, then that is the theory, possible. The soul is in the brain-stem, not the brain, so it is controlled from there. I think it is possible then, to just lose the will to live, completely. Have you been with someone for maybe 50 years, and that's all for the person, so why not?

According to my AI the answer is yes - while grief may not be the direct cause of death it can be a major contributing factor.

Yes, it is possible to die of grief. The phenomenon is known as the "widowhood effect" and has been well-documented in scientific literature.
Grief can have a significant impact on a person's health, and they are more likely to die when they are in mourning than in ordinary times

Some of the ways in which grief can lead to death include:

1. Negative changes in the heart: Grief can activate the nervous system, including the part that triggers the body's "flight or fight" response, which, when over-stimulated, has been linked to heart failure
  2. Most deaths during bereavement are due to heart failure, and people are at a higher risk of dying from heart failure when someone very close to them dies
  3. Inflammation: Grief can cause inflammation that can be life-threatening.

Inflammation has been linked to various health problems, including heart disease and other chronic conditions
4. Broken heart syndrome: This condition can occur when an extremely emotional or traumatic event triggers a surge of stress hormones, putting a person in short-term heart failure, which can be life-threatening
Strong negative emotions like depression, anger, and fear have also been linked to heart disease

While grief alone does not directly cause death, its effects on the mind and body can contribute to serious health problems that may increase mortality risk

It is essential to seek support and take care of your physical and emotional well-being during times of grief.
OB

Upvote 0