Jan 28, 2002
✟2,934,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I currently identify as either a Methodist or an Anglican. Someone convinced me that there is a lot to be said for Catholic doctrine. I'm still not sure, though.

Hi LT, welcome to CF .. :wave: I might also say something like, "I hope you find the answers you're looking for here", but so far, there doesn't seem to be a question! Is there one .. :confused:

BTW, there's a lot to be said for Reformed doctrine too. Maybe you should hang out in all four churches, or would that be considered some sort of spiritual bigamy .. ;)

Kidding .. :p Seriously though, do you have a question?

--David

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts or arguments for or against.

You haven't given us much to judge by in your own case, but if you want my thinking, I'd say "Don't do it." Everything that is positive about Catholicism is to be found in Anglicanism, and the add-ons of Catholic doctrine and practice are all negatives. The old saying about the "grass is greener" applies in the case of potential conversions to the Roman Catholic Church probably more than to any other church.

The history, the size, the publicity, the wealth, the ceremonies, and the apparent doctrinal certainty...these are all illusions. At the least, I suggest you take a long, long, up-close look before you leap.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

You haven't given us much to judge by in your own case, but if you want my thinking, I'd say "Don't do it." Everything that is positive about Catholicism is to be found in Anglicanism, and the add-ons of Catholic doctrine and practice are all negatives. The old saying about the "grass is greener" applies in the case of potential conversions to the Roman Catholic Church probably more than to any other church.

The history, the size, the publicity, the wealth, the ceremonies, and the apparent doctrinal certainty...these are all illusions. At the least, I suggest you take a long, long, up-close look before you leap.

I agree with you. Given the choice between the two I would definitely go with Anglicanism.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟832,077.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The bible says were saved by the blood of Christ which is Gods grace
and Our Faith in Christ. Eph 2:8

the rcc has a totally different salvation they rely on, they certainly Both can't be correct

I'm a Confessional Lutheran. While we have some issues with both the Anglican and Vatican Catholic Churches, there is no doubt that they both teach the Gospel and administer the Sacraments; that is we are saved by "the blood of Christ", "God's grace", through "Faith in Christ".

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I currently identify as either a Methodist or an Anglican. Someone convinced me that there is a lot to be said for Catholic doctrine. I'm still not sure, though.

Is there anything, other than your friend saying that there is something to be said for it, that has you particularly curious or interested?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,934,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Mostly, I don't like the Protestant idea of sola scriptura.

Hi again LT, the Reformed doctrine of "sola Scriptura" is often misunderstood, most often by those who are opposed it, but even by some who say they hold to it (especially today). What is it about sola Scriptura that you don't like .. :confused:

Thanks!

--David

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What you'll find (or at least what many have found, myself included) is that instead of any particular "sola" with respect to defending doctrine, the church has historically made use of whatever was best suited to win the argument and defend the truth at any given time. Sometimes it was an appeal to Scripture, sometimes an appeal to a previous council, sometimes an appeal to a statement by a prominent bishop, and sometimes an appeal to "this is the catholic faith handed down from the Apostles." Any definition of "sola scriptura" is reading a bias back into history.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,934,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What you'll find (or at least what many have found, myself included) is that instead of any particular "sola" with respect to defending doctrine, the church has historically made use of whatever was best suited to win the argument and defend the truth at any given time. Sometimes it was an appeal to Scripture, sometimes an appeal to a previous council, sometimes an appeal to a statement by a prominent bishop, and sometimes an appeal to "this is the catholic faith handed down from the Apostles." Any definition of "sola scriptura" is reading a bias back into history.

Hi Knee-V, I know you're not RC, but if what you say above is true, why has it always been of the upmost importance to the RCC to find and show BIBLICAL support for every one of their doctrines, no matter how difficult it is to do so .. :scratch:

In this they act as if Sola Scriptura (as taught and understood by the Reformers) is true.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Knee-V, I know you're not RC, but if what you say above is true, why has it always been of the upmost importance to the RCC to find and show BIBLICAL support for every one of their doctrines, no matter how difficult it is to do so .. :scratch:

In this they act as if Sola Scriptura (as taught and understood by the Reformers) is true.

Yours and His,
David

I think much of that which has gone on recently (last couple centuries or so, especially post-Vatican II) has been an effort to make the Catholic church more palatable for Protestants/Evangelicals.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,934,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think much of that which has gone on recently (last couple centuries or so, especially post-Vatican II) has been an effort to make the Catholic church more palatable for Protestants/Evangelicals.

I never knew they cared much about what we thought or believed when it came down to defining what they believe. Interesting!

Also, are you saying that prior to the Reformation, the RCC was not concerned if they had Biblical support when they defined certain doctrines or a dogmas? I find that very hard to believe. Do you know of even a single example of this .. :confused:

Thanks!

--David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never knew they cared much about what we thought or believed when it came down to defining what they believe. Interesting!

Also, are you saying that prior to the Reformation, the RCC was not concerned if they had Biblical support when they defined certain doctrines or a dogmas? I find that very hard to believe. Do you know of even a single example of this .. :confused:

Thanks!

--David

What I would say is that it didn't feel the need to have a Bible verse for every nuance of its beliefs.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is available online (click this link). Be well informed about the beliefs and practises of any church or denomination that you are considering, before you decide to join. And spend some time talking to pastors and priests face to face so you can get a feel for the parish church you would likely be attending.

Truth is an important consideration so know the doctrine of the church/denomination you're interested in. Practise is also important but will vary from congregation to congregation. And most important of all is having a healthy and lively faith yourself.

God be with you and bless you as you search.

PS: I am a Catholic in communion with the see of Rome (Where the pope, Francis, is bishop).

Upvote 0