• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

I strongly recommend not eating pork

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by granpa, Apr 1, 2015.

1. granpa

granpa Noahide/Rationalist

+50
    Buddhist
    Private
    I strongly recommend not eating pork.
    I strongly advise people to research it a bit before they make a snap decision.

I generally prefer to stay out of the ethics and morality forum but I felt that this was important and this is one of the few forums I am allowed to post in

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+282
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    Hey, if you're saying it's time to leave all the world's bacon to us heathens... I could not agree more.

:D

3. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+6,916
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Do they strangle pigs to death?

What does that passage have to do with pork?

4. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+6,658
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Never eat choked chicken.

5. ServantJohn

ServantJohn Not quite a newbie...

+50
    Charismatic
    Married
    Now I eat my fair share of pork, but there are concerns when it comes to health issues involved with eating excessive amounts of pork. With that said, this verse was written in response to Gentiles of the day. Some of the Pharisees were saying they should be circumcised and follow the law of Moses. Paul was combating that teaching but did prescribe that they should take steps to sanctify themselves by not participating in common pagan religious practices and culture. Some Christians have a strong conviction against eating pork and others are free to eat it. I don't want this to turn into that debate.

6. Shemjaza

Shemjaza Regular Member Supporter

+2,362
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    AU-Greens
    I've seen pigs killed and they weren't strangled.

Skull crushed then throat cut... it's messy and nasty, but dealing with the fact of eating living creatures is a reasonable price to pay.

7. Golden Yak

Golden Yak Not Worshipped, Far from Idle

+30
    Atheist
    Single
    For what reason?

8. selfinflikted

selfinflikted Under Deck

+739
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    3 words:

Nope, because bacon.

9. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

+5,023
    Charismatic
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I personally the 4 restrictions that the church agreed to place on the Gentiles were all dealing with idol worship. The message of Christ was about not worshiping idols and turning to follow the one true God which of course is the same message we have thru the OT. I don't really sea God being concern with what foods we eat. remember the purity laws were about national identity not about what is healthy food or what is morally right and wrong. So to follow the OT purity laws was to be circumcised for the males and follow Moses' law. Our purity law is Jesus, 1 Cor.1:30

10. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+619
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Every time you eat pork, a fairy dies.

11. ServantJohn

ServantJohn Not quite a newbie...

+50
    Charismatic
    Married
    Dessert!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  12. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+619
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Nooo : o

13. TheBear

TheBear NON-WOKED

+1,724
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    What? No more bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin??? :eek:

14. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    Sophomoric jokes aside, I find it curious that you would post this claiming to be Buddhist when they generally don't have a problem with it, and quote the Bible to boot to "prove" why. ?

15. BucksWordBearer

BucksWordBearer Junior Member

+0
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Pork is not to be eaten by Christians, Muslims and Jews as the pig is considered as an unclean animal. Only clean animals are to be eaten.

16. BucksWordBearer

+0
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Because his talking to a mostly Christian audience.

17. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    Sorry, wrong. I suggest you do some research.

Also find it interesting that you just joined and you zoomed right in on this thread. hmmm

18. BucksWordBearer

+0
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I've commented on this thread and another thread both in the Ethics topic listing. What is wrong with that?

Also I would suggest you say more than "Sorry, wrong" and offer me to do some research. Could you provide me with more details on why this is not correct?

"Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
    [5] And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
    [6] And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
    [7] And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you." Leviticus:11:4-7

19. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    Because not all Christian denominations believe in taking every single word or detail in the Bible at face value, esp the Old Testament, nor do Muslims or even Jews. Further it is far too easy to take bit n pieces of the Bible out of context, which you have done here. Pardon any offense, but that you aren't aware of that indicates a glaring lack of knowledge in that regard, hence my suggestion that you educate yourself about such things before saying something which is simply inaccurate. I have neither the time nor interest to do so. If you decide not to, that's certainly your choice, but it doesn't change the inaccuracy of your statements.

Counting the hours till my Easter ham tomorrow and might have bacon n eggs for breakfast...oh yeah, bring on that non-cud-chewin stuff

20. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,053
    Agnostic
    Single
    Bacon is the best argument against the pork ban's in the bible and vegetarianism.