I strongly recommend not eating pork

BucksWordBearer

Apr 4, 2015
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because not all Christian denominations believe in taking every single word or detail in the Bible at face value, esp the Old Testament, nor do Muslims or even Jews. Further it is far too easy to take bit n pieces of the Bible out of context, which you have done here. Pardon any offense, but that you aren't aware of that indicates a glaring lack of knowledge in that regard, hence my suggestion that you educate yourself about such things before saying something which is simply inaccurate. I have neither the time nor interest to do so. If you decide not to, that's certainly your choice, but it doesn't change the inaccuracy of your statements.

I don't care what other Christian denominations believe, if they don't believe all of God's word is not inspired by God I call them the h word. I was thinking you would comment on the context of this passage you know about how God is saying to Moses the food which the Israelites can eat and cannot eat. I think the context is perfectly clear.

Don't worry I'm not offended by someone who just beats around the bush and says I need to research more and educate myself more and doesn't present actual content. You're right we ALL need to educate ourselves more that's a given.

If you don't want to continue the choice is all yours and no way feel compelled that you're not right because I replied last (I hate it when people refuse to stop commenting because they believe the last word means they "won" the argument.)

Have a good Easter.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians are under grace, we are not bound by the Mosaic Laws of the Old Testament.

Romans 14:14 states that "nothing is unclean in itself", but that each person should follow their own conscience. That means there is nothing wrong with eating pork, but if you personally feel you shouldn't eat it, then you shouldn't. But you have no place to tell another person what they should or shouldn't eat.

Upvote 0

BucksWordBearer

Apr 4, 2015
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The use of the word unclean used here was of ceremonial uncleanness that is animals being sacrificed. The entire point of this chapter was concerning the choices Christians had to make sure what they were eating wasn't sacrificed in the name of false idols. There was fasting, eating only vegetables and fruits or for those who didn't have a guilty conscious about the possibility of buying meat that had been sacrificed to a false idol to eat on the condition that they be weary of other brothers at the table to not make them falsely accuse you of eating sacrificed meat. This has nothing to do with retracting the laws of the OT.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't care what other Christian denominations believe,
? "other" denominations? You claim to be non-denominational. Did you accidentally pick the wrong symbol? I'm curious, since very few Christian denominations forbid pork.

As for not caring what other denominations think, that's rather obvious but not really the point. You stated something which is blatantly inaccurate about how various religions aren't "supposed" eat pork, which is incorrect, ie their religions do not forbid pork. That is a fact. It is not forbidden for Muslims, most Christians, even many Jews. Whether they "should" abstain from it or not (change their stance on it) is again a matter of opinion and beliefs. And sorry, but there isn't your opinion and the wrong one. Your opinion/beliefs are not inherently more or less valid than someone else's.

if they don't believe all of God's word is not inspired by God I call them the h word.
I see, so if people's beliefs don't align precisely with yours, you look your nose down at them and call them nasty names. How Christian of you.

I was thinking you would comment on the context of this passage
I did.

Don't worry I'm not offended by someone who just beats around the bush and says I need to research more and educate myself more
Pointing out your willful ignorance and suggesting you do something about it is hardly "beating around the bush." Glad you're not offended though.

You're right we ALL need to educate ourselves more that's a given.
Yet you refuse to do so. ?

If you don't want to continue the choice is all yours and no way feel compelled that you're not right because I replied last (I hate it when people refuse to stop commenting because they believe the last word means they "won" the argument.)
No idea where you got that. There is no win/lose here. You have your right to your beliefs just as much as me or anyone else. But when you say "this religion isn't supposed to eat pork" and it's wrong, you shouldn't be surprised when someone points it out.

Have a good Easter.
You too.

Upvote 0

BucksWordBearer

Apr 4, 2015
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
non-denominational isn't a denomination. I have no official set of doctrine besides the obvious trinitarian beliefs and other core beliefs.

"I see, so if people's beliefs don't align precisely with yours, you look your nose down at them and call them nasty names. How Christian of you." Calling them the h word is the most Christian thing I could do in a situation like that. Never hold back the truth. Also I didn't comment on all doctrine just the doctrine that all of God's word is inspired which I consider core.

"Pointing out your willful ignorance and suggesting you do something about it is hardly "beating around the bush." Glad you're not offended though." Not sure how you know if it's wilful or not but w/e.

"No idea where you got that. There is no win/lose here. You have your right to your beliefs just as much as me or anyone else. But when you say "this religion isn't supposed to eat pork" and it's wrong, you shouldn't be surprised when someone points it out." I'm just saying I've had people say that if they comment last in an argument on a forum they've won by default which was dumb beyond belief.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I strongly recommend not eating pork.

I strongly advise people to research it a little before they make a snap decision.

I generally prefer to stay out of the ethics and morality forum but I felt that this was important and this is one of the few forums I am allowed to post in
Once again who is strangling the pigs?

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Sophomoric jokes aside, I find it curious that you would post this claiming to be Buddhist when they generally don't have a problem with it, and quote the Bible to boot to "prove" why. ?
Actually he first posted this in another section, where we instead talked about how we liked to eat pork. I think he posted this here because that didn't go over well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually I like pepperoni on my occasional pizza, but that's the only pork I eat. A big problem with pork is in the raising of the animal. No farm animal is as destructive to the land, or as godawful smelly. Also pigs require lots of antibiotics to keep them alive long enough to market. This adds greatly to the drug resistance problem.

There is also evidence that pork, while relatively safe to eat today, isn't the best food for the human digestive system.

I too love bacon......turkey bacon.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Turkey bacon I feel is a pale imitation to the real bacon that should be wrapped around pork tenderloins, and served with a side of salad with ham mixed into the salad.

It tastes great but is sliced too thick to curl up on the edges like pork bacon does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chocolate covered bacon. Bacon and fried eggs. Bacon stuffed bacon.

Yummy!

Be careful. I heard about a guy who was addicted to bacon.....slipped in the grease and broke his neck. ^_^

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I strongly recommend not eating pork.

I strongly advise people to research it a little before they make a snap decision.

I generally prefer to stay out of the ethics and morality forum but I felt that this was important and this is one of the few forums I am allowed to post in
Do you have some reason for your statement? I see none even with your quote.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0