United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I posted on this many moons ago, but it bears repeating:

I can remember sitting in our front room, minding my own business, and hearing this commercial come on when we lived on Hillside. That's Dave code for some time between 1971-1975. Something about it always struck a feeling with me, though it's hard to pinpoint. I was on one hand drawn to it somehow, but on the other hand I didn't want anywhere near the general mood of that commercial and its rather stuffy salesman John Williams (English actor, not the composer). I don't think Dad ever bought the series, but he did have classical music albums. Which got me to reminiscing, as I am wont to do, about the music I grew up with, largely thanks to my dad's own tastes.

First and foremost was Frank Sinatra. Dad was a Frankie fan all the way, and I grew up learning by heart some of his more famous songs, such as My Way(much maligned in religious circles, but I think a little too maligned given our state of affairs today), Fly Me to the Moon, Summer Wind, and my personal favorite That's Life. Whenever Dad worked around the house or on the cars or such, he would hum songs, most often from Sinatra. Except the end of Strangers in the Night, which he would always break out and sing - 'Scooby-dooby-doo...'. I can still hear that.

The Crooner Era (loosely defined). This included not only the 'crooners' proper, but also that whole broad pop genre including, but not limited to, Andy Williams, Perry Como, Tony Bennet, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, Liberace, The Carpenters, Barry Manilow. My favorite was Andy Williams, and I would listen to his tapes in my car until the tapes wore down. Williams also produced one of my favorite Christmas Albums, and his rendition of O Come All Ye Faithful still gives me chills when he nails that last note.

Big Band Era. They had several big band era artists represented, Jimmy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and the like. He actually didn't have many stand alone albums, but he had a couple large collector sets. As much as he listened to those, none of the songs ever really stuck in my mind beyond Chattanooga Choo-Choo, and that was more cultural exposure than anything. OK, so I remember In the Mood. Who doesn't?

Continued below.

Reactions: mourningdove~

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I posted on this many moons ago, but it bears repeating:

I can remember sitting in our front room, minding my own business, and hearing this commercial come on when we lived on Hillside. That's Dave code for some time between 1971-1975. Something about it always struck a feeling with me, though it's hard to pinpoint. I was on one hand drawn to it somehow, but on the other hand I didn't want anywhere near the general mood of that commercial and its rather stuffy salesman John Williams (English actor, not the composer). I don't think Dad ever bought the series, but he did have classical music albums. Which got me to reminiscing, as I am wont to do, about the music I grew up with, largely thanks to my dad's own tastes.

First and foremost was Frank Sinatra. Dad was a Frankie fan all the way, and I grew up learning by heart some of his more famous songs, such as My Way(much maligned in religious circles, but I think a little too maligned given our state of affairs today), Fly Me to the Moon, Summer Wind, and my personal favorite That's Life. Whenever Dad worked around the house or on the cars or such, he would hum songs, most often from Sinatra. Except the end of Strangers in the Night, which he would always break out and sing - 'Scooby-dooby-doo...'. I can still hear that.

The Crooner Era (loosely defined). This included not only the 'crooners' proper, but also that whole broad pop genre including, but not limited to, Andy Williams, Perry Como, Tony Bennet, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, Liberace, The Carpenters, Barry Manilow. My favorite was Andy Williams, and I would listen to his tapes in my car until the tapes wore down. Williams also produced one of my favorite Christmas Albums, and his rendition of O Come All Ye Faithful still gives me chills when he nails that last note.

Big Band Era. They had several big band era artists represented, Jimmy Dorsey, Glenn Miller and the like. He actually didn't have many stand alone albums, but he had a couple large collector sets. As much as he listened to those, none of the songs ever really stuck in my mind beyond Chattanooga Choo-Choo, and that was more cultural exposure than anything. OK, so I remember In the Mood. Who doesn't?

Continued below.

Thanks for the trip down "Memory Lane" ...
:blush:

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Great music, for sure. But don't forget Benny Goodman. Sing, Sing, Sing is one of the best Big Band tunes ever recorded. Anyone who doesn't groove to Gene Krupa's drum work has to be made of stone. :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0