Asheville
✟15,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I'm new to the forum, but I don't have much of a social life or friends, so I don't really have anywhere to turn. The problem that I have is my daughter Ashlynne. She hasn't done anything wrong persay, in fact I doubt she even knows I exist. Ashlynne was conceived during a failed relationship 20 years ago. I wasn't following the lord of doing what I should have been at the time obviously. Never the less, there it is.

Three days after my daughter was born the mother dropped me like a bad habit and took off. It's taken me a long time but I finally managed to track Ashlynne down using the internet. I won't lie, my head is in a spin here and I have no idea what to do. I'll also admit that I'm scared. I haven't seen her in 20 years and I have no idea what she's like, what her mother has told her about me, anything.

Most of all I'm afraid she'll reject me and not want me in her life. Losing her the first time nearly crushed me, I'm not sure I can handle a second time.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you see her or contact her be very gentle and compassionate. If she wants no communication don't be angry. I've been through hard times with relatives (my mother's family could cut a person off for minor offenses and some of them blurted out hateful comments.) Also, even though we suffer from these events, God doesn't abandon us. I was/am the only Christian among my mother's six children.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,011,749.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Obviously pray about it. Hand over your worries to Jesus.

Take one step at a time. You have come this far. Be strong. You need to be positive and get in touch with your daughter.

You could write her a letter, explaining everything. Maybe that would be a good approach.

God bless you

Upvote 0

Skittles

Apr 4, 2019
Southeast
✟45,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’ve never been in your situation E Hess so this is very much “cluelessly looking in from the outside” but I would
- pray frequently about it
- research 3-4 sources around the topic of reconnecting with a child in a situation like yours. There may not be a consensus but it will help shape your thinking
- I’d assume you’ve been painted as a bad guy for 20 years. That may not be the case but likely IS the case. So just keep that in mind.
- you can’t control the last or only just finding her. But you CAN control how quickly and in what manner you reach out to her now. Be prudent and deliberate but don’t procrastinate ; it seems to me it would only make things harder and feed the “he’s a bad guy” narrative
- if you mail anything make sure to get signature confirmation so that someone else can’t intercept/destroy the communication .

God bless you on reconnecting.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there's always a hole in one's heart with missing birthparents

you could explain that you've been searching for her for a long time and would like to meet

of course, then it's up to her

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm new to the forum, but I don't have much of a social life or friends, so I don't really have anywhere to turn. The problem that I have is my daughter Ashlynne. She hasn't done anything wrong persay, in fact I doubt she even knows I exist. Ashlynne was conceived during a failed relationship 20 years ago. I wasn't following the lord of doing what I should have been at the time obviously. Never the less, there it is.

Three days after my daughter was born the mother dropped me like a bad habit and took off. It's taken me a long time but I finally managed to track Ashlynne down using the internet. I won't lie, my head is in a spin here and I have no idea what to do. I'll also admit that I'm scared. I haven't seen her in 20 years and I have no idea what she's like, what her mother has told her about me, anything.

Most of all I'm afraid she'll reject me and not want me in her life. Losing her the first time nearly crushed me, I'm not sure I can handle a second time.

I've been in a similar situation. Well, from the other side, I suppose.

I keep trying to formulate a response to this, and I keep deleting it. I'll try to be succinct.

As the mother of a 19 year old boy whose father abandoned him and never bothered to be involved in his life...you cannot make this situation about you. Your daughter was an innocent victim of adults behaving badly. She does not owe you anything. Not a relationship, not even a conversation. You have to mentally and emotionally prepare yourself for rejection, because it is entirely possible, and if it happens, it is not your daughter's fault, and perhaps not even her mother's fault. As you say, you were not following God, the relationship failed, and her mother may have done what she thought was best for her child. A father showing up out of the blue after 20 years is going to be a tremendous shock for her, and she will need to be given the space, time, and respect, to handle it however she needs to. There is no point right now in casting blame anywhere, you have to deal with what is. And what is, is a young woman who's never known her father and has no warning that he's about to show up in her life.

I think it's fine if you reach out to her in a gentle, respectful, simple manner. You don't say how you found her, if that means you have her address, phone number, email address, FB account. Assuming you can contact her online, I would limit it to a very basic, brief "Hello, my name is _ and I'm your biological father. I would like to get to know you, if you're comfortable speaking with me. You can reach me through (insert phone number, email, etc)." And leave it at that. Don't pour out your heart, don't pour out your life story, don't be emotional at all. The last thing you want to do is make her feel pressured into responding; that's more likely to make her uncomfortable. Whatever problems you and your ex had, it's not your daughter's problem and should not be made so. If she chooses to communicate with you, and things go well, then you can slowly explore those more vulnerable and emotional territories with her. But she doesn't know you - you're a complete stranger to her - and she is not obligated to trust you in any fashion. You MUST be patient.

I wish you all the best, and I hope that things go well!

Upvote 0