I need help with my baked potatoes!!

Diakonos

christian soulJah
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
I can’t for the life of me make my baked potatoes come out soft the way that they come out in restaurants. I have poked holes in each end to allow more heat. I have wrapped them in foil. I have left them unwrapped. I have coated the skin with butter. I have tried I without butter. It doesn’t matter how hot I get my stove (even though I usually heat it to 400 degrees), or how long I leave the potato in. I have even tried to microwave it first, and them place it in the stove. Does anyone have suggestions? How can I bake the perfect, fluffy potato?

Please help :prayer:

symphonyb

a Blessed with kids member
Feb 8, 2005
United States
✟25,233.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
thats too hot..:( do you have convention bake? i just do my potatos center rack poked once with a knife at 350 convection bake or 375 normal if you dont..make sure their not on a pan for even heating just put them right into a preheated oven and check them within 20 mins. if the fork goes in smooth their done,or try another 5 mins at a time.

Upvote 0

invisiblefootprints

My foot is on the ROCK and my name is on the ROLL!
Jul 16, 2004
✟28,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you using baking potatoes? Make sure you get the big baking potatoes...russets, & that are blemish-free. Scrub potatoes, dry & prick with fork so the steam can escape & so they won't explode in your oven(talk about a mess). I use medium-sized potatoes & the higher heat method, 425 for an hour to 1 1/2 hours. The skin is more carmelized & the inside is slighly drier(fluffier). The longer you bake the potato, the more moisture escapes giving you a drier, fluffier inside. Don't let them sit after they are done. Slit & serve as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

pimorton

May 13, 2004
Ohio
✟1,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
invisiblefootprints is right. Baking potatoes have a much lower moisture content than others, leaving them with a fluffier inside. Russett potatoes are great, especially those grown in Idaho. The climate and soil conditions there seem to be just right for baking potatoes. (BTW I'm from Ohio, so I'm not just plugging the local economy here.) We get a lot of Michigan potatoes here, but frankly I don't think they compare to Idaho.

Upvote 0

Maeyken

Senior Veteran
Jul 28, 2004
Hamilton
✟20,300.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We always baked everything at 350F and the potatoes were no exception!
After they were done baking, we turned the oven off and let them sit in there a little longer, maybe like 10 minutes(?) and that made the skins softer. I think we usually baked the medium sized ones for an hour.

Upvote 0

Saint Melania

The Church is Christ with us.
May 22, 2005
✟11,973.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have always baked my potatoes for an hour at 400º and they came out fluffy...and they were pierced with a fork a few times, and wrapped in aluminum foil. Sometimes I place them side by side with a meatloaf at the same time and temperature, but add 15-20 minutes to the meatloaf after giving a coat of sauce on top. Also I have microwaved them too, and had good ones. Idaho potatoes are best, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

muppy

Jun 12, 2005
Mackenzie
Visit site
✟15,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
This is good, though it is more than a baked potatoe, if you feel like doing something different with your potatoes. I tried this receipe and was very happy with the results.

4 large baking potatoes
1 stick of butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons chopped chives, optional
salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash potatoes and poke 2 or 3 vent holes in each with a fork. Bake potatoes in oven until done, about 1 hour. (Poke with a fork and if fork goes in easily they are done). Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice potatoes in 1/2 lengthwise and scoop pulp into mixing bowl being careful not to break skin. Mash potatoes with butter, cheese, milk, and chives. Taste-test and adjust seasoning if necessary with salt and pepper. Spoon mashed potatoes back into skins and place in a 9 by 13 inch dish. Return to oven and heat thoroughly.

Upvote 0

flywithchrist06

Veteran
Nov 6, 2004
Texas
✟16,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Muppy...I'm glad someone mentioned these...i actually helped make some this morning. one thing i do different though...is instead of cuttin it in half, i just take a bit off the top length ways so as to have the whole potato...any who...twice baked potatoes are awesome!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muppy

Jun 12, 2005
Mackenzie
Visit site
✟15,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
flywithchrist06 said:
Muppy...I'm glad someone mentioned these...i actually helped make some this morning. one thing i do different though...is instead of cuttin it in half, i just take a bit off the top length ways so as to have the whole potato...any who...twice baked potatoes are awesome!!!
I will defenitly try it that way next time. i love twice baked potatoes... just had baked potatoes on the barbie 2nite. I cut them in half and stabbed them a couple of times. Added vegetable spice, seasoning salt and garlic spices to it. A nice slice of butter and squished it back together, wrapped tinfoil around them and put them on the top shelf of the bbq and let them cook for 25 mins on high heat, and then on low heat while cooking steaks...mmm they where good.

Upvote 0

southrnbygrace

Mar 21, 2005
North Carolina
✟233.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
muppy said:
I will defenitly try it that way next time. i love twice baked potatoes... just had baked potatoes on the barbie 2nite. I cut them in half and stabbed them a couple of times. Added vegetable spice, seasoning salt and garlic spices to it. A nice slice of butter and squished it back together, wrapped tinfoil around them and put them on the top shelf of the bbq and let them cook for 25 mins on high heat, and then on low heat while cooking steaks...mmm they where good.
I have always baked mine at 450 for an hour(that's what my mom did I guess...LOL) and they are very soft when they come out. I do poke holes in them, coat them with butter, sprinkle a little salt on them and wrap them in aluminum foil before baking.

Upvote 0

cameocat

cameo cats make the world go 'round
Jun 10, 2005
California
✟10,372.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peel and partially slice the potato downward, place butter between the slices, salt & pepper them, and roll and wrap them in aluminum foil. You can also place some herb or seasoning in the potato before baking. Then bake at 400º temperature, or whatever your oven will do best at,... and it's very good.

Upvote 0