Veteran
May 29, 2005
OH
✟8,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't sure where to post this but some quick response would be GREATLY appreciated. We have little time...

I'll try and make this short:

My uncle has a very large, aggressive, and malignant, brain tumor. The doctor we talked him into seeing told him that without surgery he will die by or before Christmas. However, with treatment he could possibly add about 1 year to his life. Either way the situation isn't good.

Him and his wife are both very, very, Christian. His wife however, has an extreme dislike for anything medical and puts all of her faith in God for healing. She doesn't take her children (5 in all, all under the age of 18) to pediatricians and they are all unvaccinated. She used midwifes for all of their births. She is strongly opposed to him getting any treatment, but he still leans toward it deep down (he has made small mention of it). His wife thinks that God will heal him (she has been saying this for MONTHS now and he has only gotten progressively worse). He is strongly persuaded by her and she makes most of the calls...oddly.

Are there any verses in the Bible that discuss the benefits of medicine and physicians? I know Luke was a physician. What can we tell them (mainly HER) to help persuade her that surgery could be very helpful and does not mean that they have a lack of faith.

MyHeart07

Bride of The King
Jan 4, 2007
Montreal
✟30,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Amost the same scenario....

My mother had a cancerous brain tumor and was given(in Sept some years ago) 3 months to live. She went through radiation therapy followed by chemo and lived another 8 years, long enough to see her grandson born and enjoy those remaining years with her family.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2004
Cleveland!
Visit site
✟105,849.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

(Paul prescribed "a little wine" for Timothy's "ofter infirmites")

Colossians 4:14 Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't sure where to post this but some quick response would be GREATLY appreciated. We have little time...

My uncle has a very large, aggressive, and malignant, brain tumor. The doctor we talked him into seeing told him that without surgery he will die by or before Christmas. However, with treatment he could possibly add about 1 year to his life. Either way the situation isn't good.

Him and his wife are both very, very, Christian. His wife however, has an extreme dislike for anything medical and puts all of her faith in God for healing. She doesn't take her children (5 in all, all under the age of 18) to pediatricians and they are all unvaccinated. She used midwifes for all of their births. She is strongly opposed to him getting any treatment, but he still leans toward it deep down (he has made small mention of it). His wife thinks that God will heal him (she has been saying this for MONTHS now and he has only gotten progressively worse). He is strongly persuaded by her and she makes most of the calls...oddly.

Are there any verses in the Bible that discuss the benefits of medicine and physicians? I know Luke was a physician. What can we tell them (mainly HER) to help persuade her that surgery could be very helpful and does not mean that they have a lack of faith.

hi, I don't know how your going to convince his wife, but it's sad, because it's your dad's life, and though I know how family influence can cause problems.

Here's a verse Jesus said:

On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need adoctor, but the sick.

the context of this verse is other than health but shows you that God gave us doctors to help us.

The part of her being a Christian hence not willing to use doctors doesn't come from Christianity. It's not from the bible one gets that, it's from a church or external teaching that some get this type of teaching.

Not that God can not heal, but what I mean is, it's not her being 'very very Christian' it's what she is exposed to from an external source other than the bible.

It's a difficult situation and heartbreaking that he might want the surgery. I know this must make you very sad to watch all this.

Perhaps a call to a pastor to come and speak to her, of course unless the pastor is the one where she gets this from.

It's not a lack of faith at all to go to doctors, but when some people believe that, I don't know how to convince them otherwise.

God bless you hon,
tapero

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thank you for your advice. it's helpful. i just wish there was something more i could say to help change things...i doubt that there is though :(

sorry, i said your dad, meant uncle.

Let's pray then. I'll be praying, and I'm sure you are.

You can call a local hospital and ask to speak to a chaplain there of your faith, and get some advice. They return calls, if they aren't in their office.

I'm sorry hon, this is just so sad.

I wish I had more scripture to give you.

She clearly is not understanding it well, and so sad when so many are let down when one passes as they think cause they didn't have enough faith for one, or two, that it was God's will.

praying,
tapero

Upvote 0

peacechild4

My ♥ is hidden in GOD~ want to find me ~ find GOD
Mar 4, 2005
Victoria Australia
Visit site
✟38,392.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single

Perhaps you need to speak to your Uncle privately about how he feels he may well be in agreement with his wife.. I have been doing a lot of study in the bible about healing.. Jesus healed when He walked the earth and commands His people to heal today.. and we can have faith for healing.. Faith comes by hearing what God says.. I wouldn't try to persuade the woman to stop.. but rather talk to the man himself.. If he wants treatment and knows someone supports him.. then you could then talk to the doctors on his behalf.. but maybe he would rather be at peace with his wife.. Sometimes things are not always as they seem..

Faith is believing without seeing.. such as we believe in God even though we cannot see Him.. I would ask is your Uncle at peace??

The wife is not necessarily doing wrong.. she just doesn't believe the same way you do..

I will pray for this situation.. and wouldn't it be wonderful if God does heal him!! And God can even without Your Uncle even having any surgery..

Sometimes people are more at peace about these things then we realise.. and God is helping them despite how things seem.. Don't be afraid.. Your Uncle is in Gods hands when we pray..

Father God I ask that You go before this family.. Father I come before You and ask for this mans complete healing!! I ask that this brain tumor dissapear.. Father we know doctors do wonderful work.. but greater are You in us.. Father I pray that this man is at peace as You take care of him.. and that he and his wife are able to do as they believe and that they are strengthened together as they should be as husband and wife.. Father bless those around them too especially faith who struggle with the dianosis.. Faith does not make sense to those who do not understand.. I ask for a good outcome and peace for all.. and that others around will be blessed as they see Your hand at work... Through Jesus name amen

Upvote 0

SecretOfFatima

Our Lady of Fatima: Song of Solomon 6:10 (NIV)
Oct 21, 2005
Visit site
✟10,438.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear about your uncle.
roseglass6370, Please be strong about this, not just for your sake but to help others around you in such dificult moment afecting a loved one.

In my opinion and while our believes may vary quite a bit, this is that time when someone very pure and full of faith may be able to help your Uncle by interceding with GOD to cure him, other then GOD alone, only a person full of faith could move a mountain...

Please, please read the following article which contain a testmony of someone cured with cancer, I have heard hundreds of others testmonies about cures by faithfull people (one case even included someone with HIV), if you have any questions about these topic please send me a PM and we can talk a bit more about it, it would not be approriate here as in my opinion it would cause arguments bettwen catholic and protestants.

Why does GOD cure people in this way? In my opinion, It's all for the Glory of GOD alone, when others return to GOD after hearing and seeing about something which seems impossible to those who do not believe in the existence of GOD.

One other thing I would like to point out to you, that is very serious, just like in the early days of the church, when the church was persecuted, the catholic church has continued to be persecute till this day, sometimes by what has taken place inside but most often by those outside of the fullness of truth, as such and unfortunately there are many Myths, Hoaxes, Lies, and Forgeries about the catholic church, many reading this may be saying why does this matter here? Because the testmonies I'm talking about, most likely are not acceptable by those outside of the church that was established 2000 year ago, in fact even this fact is probably argued by many, neverless it is extremely important what I said, even if one does not know, understand or believe what and why I just stated these points. Just remember from the 12 apostles, Peter was the only one with enough faith to walk over the water...

Please read this, and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Be strong.

Upvote 0

shmee

Aug 9, 2007
✟7,831.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It should be his choice, not his wife's. It makes me sad that she seems to be calling the shots when it comes to his health.

Perhaps medical treatment (and surgery) is God's way of healing people.

It reminds me of this story:

A man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religious man replies, "No I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in God and God will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again because "God will grant him a miracle."

With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in. Mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help. So he drowns.

He arrives at the gates of heaven and says to Peter, "What happened? I put my faith in God and He let me drown!" St. Peter responds, "We sent you three boats and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

Upvote 0

peacechild4

My ♥ is hidden in GOD~ want to find me ~ find GOD
Mar 4, 2005
Victoria Australia
Visit site
✟38,392.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
How is your Uncle?.. I will pray for him too and I see Tapero is too!! Talk to God He will give you wisdom about what to do.. Sometimes we can get it wrong even when we have faith.. But thankfully God can do work the impossible even when doctors and we ourselves fail..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thread is closed pending move to Christian Advice. Some answers given are very good answers, but they do go against important guidelines in Recovery. But, in Christian Advice, they'd be allowed to be seen. I'll keep you all updated as to the progress of this move. :)

Move request has been submitted.

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I (almost) don't see why the OP is asking for advice.

Most people KNOW what they would do if given the choice between living 5 weeks, versus living for a year (or maybe 8 more years, like in Post 2).

This whole issue doesn't seem to be the stuff of Christian Advice.
You say that they believe in God, rather than Doctors.
So, do you want us to tell you that God can't "deal" with his problem?

Does he attand a Charismatic church?
There are 1000s of Charismatic churches out there.
And, there are several ministers with healing ministries.
I would get my butt over to one of them (especially if he doesn't want to go).
You can "use" the power of the service to send-out healing thoughts to him.

I made 2 treks to local Benny Hinn services.
I had one friend with only weeks to live (after getting all of the treatments med science had to offer). She went into complete Remission, and is alive to this day.
And, I took my Aunt. She still "Had" arthritis, but its symptoms all-but went away (and for several years now).

When all else fails, try God.

Upvote 0

Taylor43

Jesus loves everyone!
Feb 26, 2006
Alberta
✟67,737.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ill keep your uncle in my prayers. Sorry his wife is agiants treatment. God can heal him also God created meds and Treatment. I hope he chooses to seek chemo though it may not be a very long future but with God we never know how long he will live. I had a good friend diagnosed 4 years ago of a deadly cacner he took chemo survived 3 years. I had a another christian friend diagnosed of cancer this past May, he didnt get to the doctors in time it was too late for to seek chemo he died last month. Only God knows the answer but we should not leave medical field out totally because God uses it too. Also will keep your family in my prayers i know it is difficult and so painful.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Your uncle is an adult and can choose to go against his wife's wishes, if he really wants to. God can heal with or without medicine. I do not believe that God gave us all of the medical knowledge available to us to have us ignore doctors.

I will pray for your uncle and also suggest that you try to talk to your uncle apart from his wife. Your aunt sounds misguided, and needs prayer also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟17,695.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I feel so sorry for your uncle. I would never leave someone I love without a doctor and meds. Your uncles wife sounds like shes playing God and she is even testing Him.
God gave us doctors for a reason. Many people have been saved through meds and the doctors.

Please try to speak to your uncle. Tell him that God wants him to go to the hospital for treatment. God does want this. Even when my little girl has a cold I give her medicine. I don't leave it to God to heal, I ask God to take away any pain she may have and allow the medicine to work.

This is very sad. It is your uncles life, surely he has a choice.
I believe God is calling you to help your uncle. Thats how God is working and trying to bring healing through doctors and medicine.

Upvote 0
C

ContentInHim

You can do both - use the skills of the doctors and have people who believes in healing prayer pray over him.

My friend's brother was prayed over and when he underwent surgery, the tumor had disappeared. The surgeon said he wouldn't have believed it, except he was the one who diagnosed the cancer. They poked around a bit and closed him up and he's totally healed today - of the tumor and some nagging little things as well! :bow:

Upvote 0

1Newcreation

Veteran
May 5, 2006
E. Coast USA.
✟17,078.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
As others have said it is sad that the wife is being allowed to manipulate this situation. I would suggest not only sharing the scriptures that other posters have given but also the ones in Ephesians about wives submitting to the husband. The man is the head of the home and he is quite capable of listening to the voice of God and if the Lord is directing your uncle to accept medical attention then that is his choice and his choice alone.
I pray for your uncle to gain enough courage and strength to speak up about his desire and that he gets help soon.

1newcreation

Upvote 0

whitedove7

Dec 21, 2004
United States
Visit site
✟1,344.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, doctors don't do divine healing but I do believe doctors can be used to help people who need help.

The Lord does heal today. About 80% of diseases today has a root cause, unfortunately. If this family do not want to use a doctor, there is a book I can recommend called "A More Excellent Way." It talks about how to apply God's word for healing. They also have a ministry south of Atlantia, Georgia and many do get healed and they learned to stay healed when they understand why they are sick. They have a very high success rate in healings. The church is Pleasant Valley Church or the ministry name is Be In Health.

This might help this family that does not want to use doctors. Plus, instead of one year of living with doctor, he might live much longer if the husband understands the root cause and deal with the root issues.

Blessings!

Upvote 0