I love to make Hats! Do you?

pegatha

Apr 26, 2004
✟1,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I adore hats of the 30s & 40s. That whole era was so elegant! I've made one or two tiny cocktail hats for fashion dolls, but I didn't think that was what you meant when you asked about hats. :) I forgot when I posted above, that I've also knit a couple of stocking caps. But my Victorian bonnet will be my first real, full-scale, wire & buckram hat. I'm also making a wool cloak that matches the bonnet. The cloak and bonnet are to wear over a Civil War era gown I've already made, so I'll have a complete period costume to wear (although I'm cheating on the cloak; it's interlined with Polarfleece.)

Upvote 0

Ithilwyn

Nov 5, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
✟15,202.00
Faith
Christian
pegatha said:
The cloak and bonnet are to wear over a Civil War era gown I've already made, so I'll have a complete period costume to wear (although I'm cheating on the cloak; it's interlined with Polarfleece.)

You gotta do what you gotta do. There are times when warmth is of the utmost importance. It doesn't get too cold out here on the west coast, but for an ice skating event I interlined an 1830's pelerine with fleece. I'm so glad I did; I was nice and toasty the whole day.

Upvote 0

hazeleyes80

Contributor
Aug 19, 2004
South Carolina
✟15,051.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just crocheted 3 for a friend of mine who is expecting a baby. I'm knitting a scarf right now, and I'm going to try to figure out how to knit a hat. I have one of those round knitting needles things, but I have to figure out how to use them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

princess heart

princess in training
Jan 22, 2004
Midwest USA
✟15,949.00
Faith
Christian
I have a good friend who is an elderly lady with thinning hair and she is very self-concious about it. She has a good little collection of hats and seems to really love wearing them despite the fact that she thinks she needs to hide her cute litte thin hairdo. I just bought several patterns so I can add to her collection, these will be my first hats so I know where to come if I need to holler :hug: ! There are several felt hats and one of them calls for wire, that scares me! And buckram is listed in the list of supplies that I will need for at least one of them and I don't even know what that IS! LOL, I expect hat making will be fun and she will love the results even if they turn out looking like kindergarten art projects!

Upvote 0
princess heart said:
There are several felt hats and one of them calls for wire, that scares me! And buckram is listed in the list of supplies that I will need for at least one of them and I don't even know what that IS!

Wire isn't too bad to work with, just be careful if you are sewing it on a machine. I usually sew mine on by hand because I feel like I have better control over it that way. If you do decide to use a machine, please use protective eye wear--in a wire vs. machine needle situation, the wire wins and your needle breaks off and goes flying. If you take it slow, you probably won't have to worry about that though. All the same, better safe than sorry.

There are several places you can get buckram. Joann's usually carries a fairly light weight buckram with their interfacing supply. So far, it has been adequate for what I want to do with it. If your hat calls for something heavier, you'll need to take a look at a millinery supply store. There are several companies that have online ordering that you can check out the GBACG website.

Hope that helps and have a great time making those hats! :)

Upvote 0