I know that most of the Japanese people aren't Catholic...

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does how Catholics worship God depend on the country? Would this be the case in Japan as compared to the US? I get that they are a tiny fraction of the population there, but judging from what I have read and what I have seen, and read about Japanese Catholicism, it does seem like there isn't much of an issue as far as Catholics integrating into mainstream society. Would their animes or other tv shows be any different?

It was just called "Catholic Anime"

Thee Librarian

Jan 25, 2018
Chicago
✟16,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does how Catholics worship God depend on the country? Would this be the case in Japan as compared to the US? I get that they are a tiny fraction of the population there, but judging from what I have read and what I have seen, and read about Japanese Catholicism, it does seem like there isn't much of an issue as far as Catholics integrating into mainstream society. Would their animes or other tv shows be any different?

Something to study someday.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Catholicism in Japanese anime has almost nothing to do with how the tiny percentage of Japanese who are Catholic actually practice their religion.

The Japanese also have their own way of celebrating Christmas--which has almost nothing to do with how Americans celebrate Christmas.

The anime creators have not done any kind of research to achieve any measure of authenticity.

Ordinary Japanese Christians do suffer a great deal of discrimination in their daily lives.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Nutshell: while Christianity has a firm and distinct presence in Japan, it's still enough of a "minority" faith within the country that most creative talents won't have any more than a surface-level familiarity with anything. For example, one can still readily find creative works in which nuns are treated the same as mikos in Shinto faith because that's what the creator envisions them as.

It's similar to what happens when Western works attempt to depict Shinto or Buddhism: dollars to donuts, the creator doesn't really know what they're talking about.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ordinary Japanese Christians do suffer a great deal of discrimination in their daily lives.

In 1945 the two Japanese cities with the greatest proportion of Roman Catholic Christians were Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In 1945 the two Japanese cities with the greatest proportion of Roman Catholic Christians were Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

And the 2009 Indian Ocean tsunami hit the section of India with the most Christians.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The 2016 Martin Scorsese film Silence is very much worth watching, and might clue you into the unique history of Japanese Catholicism. One of the worst (if perhaps not the worst) persecution of Christians in the world occurred in Japan in the 17th century, and is the subject of the film.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The depiction of Catholicism in anime is surface level, having no depth or substance to it. The Japanese as a whole don't care about Christianity or the theology thereof. It tends to borrow the aesthetics of Catholicism because Catholicism does have inherently good sense of aesthetics but that's about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums