Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So the born again Christian, who's life has been turned upside down and changed from darkness to light is not an evidence that is observable in the actual, real, objective world?

Only if you consider conversions in other religions to be evidence of the claims of those religions. There are people who convert to Islam and whose lives have improved, or converted to Buddhism and whose lives have improved; conversely there are people who have become Christians and there is no observable "improvement" to be seen.

I don't believe Christianity is about improving one's life; neither do I believe conversion to a religion and seeing an improvement in one's life to be evidence of the truthfulness of the particular faith claims.

The existence of thousands of MSS are not actual, real, objective evidence for religious faith claims?

Of course not. They are evidence for the antiquity and general reliability of the transmission of the texts, they are not evidence for the particular claims made by the texts. Would you consider manuscripts of the Vedas or Bhagavid Gita to be evidence for the claims made in them?

I must be misunderstanding because it seems as though you're saying that there is an objective world that can be interpreted autonomously through the senses without question, but matters of theonomous faith cannot be demonstrated and yet the Christian life should be a demonstration of a living sacrifice, a lamp on a hill to use observable allegory.

Yes, there is an objective world that can be reliably comprehended and perceived through empirical study and observation--I can know that water is wet by touching it. The demonstration of our faith through our living is not an empirical observation of Christianity's faith claims--it can't be because it's not empirical. It is not empirically demonstrable that by living in accordance with the tenets of our religion that the God we worship does exist, it is a demonstration of our faith, not a demonstration of the existence of God.

That matters of faith are riddled full of doubt and question, while an assumed autonomy without even questioning the reliability of the senses or the facilities which make predication possible are beyond all doubt?

There are two options: either we can know objective reality through experience of it (empiricism) or else we can know nothing of it (solipism). Solipsism is not an acceptable position, as far as I'm concerned, from a Christian perspective; and it amounts to nothing more than claiming that all external reality is illusion or ignorance, and at that point we might as well be Gnostics or Manicheans, as an orthodox, confessing Christian that is simply not an option. The world is not illusion, the world is real; and the external and observable world can be comprehended through experience and the senses. That doesn't mean that human beings are capable of knowing everything, there may be things we can't know because we do not (at least at present) know that we don't know them; but to suggest that the empirical model of understanding external reality is false means, fundamentally, that for all I know you don't exist, Christian Forums doesn't exist, the Bible doesn't exist. Indeed, everything I experience happens only in my own mind, and everything is merely an illusion dreamed up by my mind, and my mind is all that is. In which case, since you are merely a figment of my imagination, I am merely talking to myself here.

Well well then, never-mind the effects of the fall on the heart of mankind, which Jeremiah 17:9 states "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" and never-mind Paul where he states in Romans 1:20 "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.” We can't be too sure about faith though, despite what David wrote in Psalms 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork." In your question, you use the word "actual" but what is actual if we are stuck with assuming the relativism of an assumed autonomous mind? Nevertheless I feel foolish for even asking such a question because my question assumes meaningful shared communication through language and though my use of may be fallacious, still laws of logic are assumed in the process, but how can the autonmous man account for them? It's not as though they are objective observable reality that we could detect them through the five senses. Observing them in practice, is remarkably similar to observing the born again Christian in practice. Christian martyrs are the ultimate example of an observable faith, and it is not natural or in the normal every day realm of life that such faith is demonstrated.

The Fall doesn't mean that I can't look at a tree and recognize there's a tree there. The Fall means that we are desperately sick sinners, as the Scriptures you posted expressly say, and that is why we do not turn toward God or seek after God, but must rely on the external agency of God's grace to save us. This is a soteriological matter, not an epistemological one.

Finally, consider the miracles of Christ, most of them were performed in cities where people refused to even believe the miracles, despite the fact they were observable. Jesus was actually the Messiah, but most refused to believe the truth, even when he proved it before their very eyes! Why? Gets back to the above.

Which would be evidence of people not wanting to believe objective, actual reality; my question is (in part) why would a Christian want to deny objective, actual reality? Unless you think those who beheld the works of Christ with their own eyes were right in rejecting them? But I can't imagine that's the case.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I've been thinking a lot about the whole evolution/creation thing and as a result I recently learned something about myself. I was thinking, even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where nothing became something, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where non-life gave rise to life, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that irreducible complexity is not an issue with evolution, etc., the fact of the matter is, I still wouldn't accept the theories being taught by the evolutionists. Why? Because I simply don't want to believe it.

This realization has made me wonder if there might be others (on either side of the fence) who refuse to believe something just because they don't want to? Since it's true for me, I imagine it's true for others, too. (It's rather liberating to learn something about yourself.)
IMO one level of knowledge above/superior to "proof" is intuitive, direct experience.

Intuitive/direct experience > proof > evidence > blind faith.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Not sure I entirely buy that given human cognition and some of the challenges/limitations that come with it. Cognitive biases particularly around memory can skew individual perception and recall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
IMO one level of knowledge above/superior to "proof" is intuitive, direct experience.

FAITH in Christianity by definition cannot be Blind, Faith is an action word dependent upon ones understanding and Belief becoming the action taken, thereby producing Faith.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only if you consider conversions in other religions to be evidence of the claims of those religions. There are people who convert to Islam and whose lives have improved, or converted to Buddhism and whose lives have improved; conversely there are people who have become Christians and there is no observable "improvement" to be seen.

I don't believe Christianity is about improving one's life; neither do I believe conversion to a religion and seeing an improvement in one's life to be evidence of the truthfulness of the particular faith claims.

Of course those conversions to other religions are observable evidence of the claims of those religions, which turns out to be a point against certainty using evidentialist methodology as THE exclusive method for coming to a knowledge of the truth. I seem to have missed the part where I suggested that conversion to Christianity amounts to mere "observable improvement". I think the word I used is "evidence". The new birth is nothing less than a miracle, and the external evidence is the result of the internal monergistic miracle of regeneration.

I would be concerned about a conversion to Christianity that does not bear fruit.

2 Peter 1:10 "Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall."

Of course not. They are evidence for the antiquity and general reliability of the transmission of the texts, they are not evidence for the particular claims made by the texts. Would you consider manuscripts of the Vedas or Bhagavid Gita to be evidence for the claims made in them?

So you agree that we should make a distinction between evidence and truth claims, between observable facts and the truth. Maybe you're not the evidentialist I thought at first. So I will encourage fideism with this question, how do we [autonomously] sort out the claims when the claims between say the Bible and the Quaran conflict with one another?

Yes, there is an objective world that can be reliably comprehended and perceived through empirical study and observation--I can know that water is wet by touching it. The demonstration of our faith through our living is not an empirical observation of Christianity's faith claims--it can't be because it's not empirical. It is not empirically demonstrable that by living in accordance with the tenets of our religion that the God we worship does exist, it is a demonstration of our faith, not a demonstration of the existence of God.

You seem to miss the previous point concerning the interpretation involved in an objective world and the dependencies involved. If we do not first presuppose the existence of God, a Creator of the observable material world with exhaustive knowledge of every created fact, and that He created us in His image instilling the capacity to reason and be interpreters of His creation, if we deny this theonomous relationship between Creator and creature, essentially we are forever stuck in the relativism of autonomy without any justification to support fact claims acquired through empirical study and observation. All of our knowledge, the truthfulness, the accuracy of it, is dependent on Christ. In this manner, we are thinking God's thoughts after Him so far as truth is concerned.

Proverbs 1:7 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge"

John 14:6 "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life."

Colossians 2:3 [Christ] "in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

There are two options: either we can know objective reality through experience of it (empiricism) or else we can know nothing of it (solipism). Solipsism is not an acceptable position, as far as I'm concerned, from a Christian perspective; and it amounts to nothing more than claiming that all external reality is illusion or ignorance, and at that point we might as well be Gnostics or Manicheans, as an orthodox, confessing Christian that is simply not an option. The world is not illusion, the world is real; and the external and observable world can be comprehended through experience and the senses. That doesn't mean that human beings are capable of knowing everything, there may be things we can't know because we do not (at least at present) know that we don't know them; but to suggest that the empirical model of understanding external reality is false means, fundamentally, that for all I know you don't exist, Christian Forums doesn't exist, the Bible doesn't exist. Indeed, everything I experience happens only in my own mind, and everything is merely an illusion dreamed up by my mind, and my mind is all that is. In which case, since you are merely a figment of my imagination, I am merely talking to myself here.

Actually there are other options (which you did not list) historically: rationalism, fideism, experientialism, pragmatism (very popular in America), and others including integrating elements from each. But I propose the only way to successfully integrate them is through the method of Christian presuppositionalism which historically is found more dominantly in Reformed epistemology, and is a Revelational epistemology, acknowledging the dependency of knowledge and the Lordship of Christ over knowledge.

The concept of the world as an illusion is found in the Hindu religion the concept or doctrine of maya. If we assume man is autonmous to attempt to deconstruct the notion of the world as an illusion, how could we deconstruct their worldview on the principal of autonomy?

The Fall doesn't mean that I can't look at a tree and recognize there's a tree there. The Fall means that we are desperately sick sinners, as the Scriptures you posted expressly say, and that is why we do not turn toward God or seek after God, but must rely on the external agency of God's grace to save us. This is a soteriological matter, not an epistemological one.

Do I take it you do not see a link between the effects of the fall on knowledge, and by extension the will? Here I'll quote the Augsburg Confession:

"1] Of Free Will they teach that man's will has some liberty to choose civil righteousness, and to work 2] things subject to reason. But it has no power, without the Holy Ghost, to work the righteousness of God, that is, spiritual righteousness; since the natural man 3] receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, 1 Cor. 2:14; but this righteousness is wrought in the heart when the Holy Ghost is received 4] through the Word. These things are said in as many words by Augustine in his Hypognosticon, Book III: We grant that all men have a free will, free, inasmuch as it has the judgment of reason; not that it is thereby capable, without God, either to begin, or, at least, to complete aught in things pertaining to God, but only in works of this life, whether good 5] or evil. "Good" I call those works which spring from the good in nature, such as, willing to labor in the field, to eat and drink, to have a friend, to clothe oneself, to build a house, to marry a wife, to raise cattle, to learn diverse useful arts, or whatsoever good 6]pertains to this life. For all of these things are not without dependence on the providence of God; yea, of Him and through Him they are and have their being. "Evil" 7] I call such works as willing to worship an idol, to commit murder, etc. 8] They condemn the Pelagians and others, who teach that without the Holy Ghost, by the power of nature alone, we are able to love God above all things; also to do the commandments of God as touching "the substance of the act." For, although nature is able in a manner to do the outward work, 9] (for it is able to keep the hands from theft and murder,) yet it cannot produce the inward motions, such as the fear of God, trust in God, chastity, patience, etc" SOURCE

What does proverbs teach about the fear of the Lord again?

Which would be evidence of people not wanting to believe objective, actual reality; my question is (in part) why would a Christian want to deny objective, actual reality? Unless you think those who beheld the works of Christ with their own eyes were right in rejecting them? But I can't imagine that's the case.

It's not the case, rather I would argue the related objective empirical facts are evidences supporting the truth claims of the Christian religion. Hence my interest in Biblical Archaeology and other specialized fields where empirical facts are concerned.

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Not sure I entirely buy that given human cognition and some of the challenges/limitations that come with it. Cognitive biases particularly around memory can skew individual perception and recall.
Well, I would say that whatever phenomenon an individual perceives in the here and now, it is very "real" to that person in that it is perceived and experienced.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
FAITH in Christianity by definition cannot be Blind, Faith is an action word dependent upon ones understanding and Belief becoming the action taken, thereby producing Faith.
Yes, I would consider that faith based on perceived evidence.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been thinking a lot about the whole evolution/creation thing and as a result I recently learned something about myself. I was thinking, even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where nothing became something, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where non-life gave rise to life, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that irreducible complexity is not an issue with evolution, etc., the fact of the matter is, I still wouldn't accept the theories being taught by the evolutionists. Why? Because I simply don't want to believe it.

Owkay.
So… do you consider that to be a rational / reasonable position to find yourself in?
Isn't this like... literally being intellectually dishonest with yourself?

This realization has made me wonder if there might be others (on either side of the fence) who refuse to believe something just because they don't want to? Since it's true for me, I imagine it's true for others, too. (It's rather liberating to learn something about yourself.)

It is typically true for fundamentalist theists. And to an extent, theists in general.
It's like Fox Mulder so famously said: "I want to believe".

Me? No. I want to believe as many true things as possible and the least false things possible. I care about what is actually true. I care about being justified in my beliefs. I can like or dislike reality, sure. But why would you consider that a factor in if you should be believing something or not? That makes no sense to me.

What good could possible come from not accepting something that can be 100% proven, because you don't "like" it?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What evolutionist cannot offer is proof of what caused the universe to come into existence and without this all there therories and ideas are simple smoke and mirrors as they seek to evade the consquence of something supernatural having created the universe.

You speak as if every scientists that accepts mainstream biology and physics, is an atheist.

Are you sure you wish to imply that?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yet something cause everything to come into being.
What was it?

Nobody knows.
"nobody", includes you, btw.

If science cannot answer that question then philosophy or religeon can be asked.

There isn't a single reason to expect either religion or philosophy can provide a sensible answer to that question. In fact, there are many many reasons to expect the exact opposite.

It's not like either religion or philosophy (alone) have such a great track record of solving the mysteries of the universe…………………

Not to look into this question is evassion.

Not to look into that question, is sensible. If we will ever get an answer to that question, it's some kind of physicist that will provide that answer. Not a priest.

As is the reluctance to look at the source of ideas.

We know the source of the ideas in your religion.
It's in fact, exactly why it can be safely ignored when trying to answer the hard questions about the origins of the universe.

Modern science has roots in what the greeks etc knew but depends heavely on Christian ideas, as does modern society.
Science doesn't depend on christianity, or any other religion, at all.

What an insane thing to say...…..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, it's just that you failed to consider it's not a matter of just what's true or not, I've little doubt some of it is, but does it do what is was supposed to, and I assume what was intended?

Typical none answer, I didn't really expect anything else.

And yes, it did do what it was supposed to... pointed why these creationist "odds" we keep hearing about are meaningless.

I'm just commenting because I think that you're response to Pitabread (i.e "Nothing there") was rude and dismissive when he'd taken the trouble to answer your question.

This is exactly why posters have pretty much given up any hopes of honest discussion with you.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Typical none answer, I didn't really expect anything else.

As usual, it wasn't the answer you wanted so it's a non answer.

It's not all about you, Atheists, or evolutionists, it's about what's true..

Edit:
Often when atheist/evolutionists don't get the answer they want, one that supports their agenda, they see yours as a non answer, and what's worse, because of their wrong conclusion they feel they have now "put you into your place" then see that as more reason to believe their silly evolution must be right.

Create a delusion to help support a delusion. :)

Interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As usual, it wasn't the answer you wanted so it's a non answer.

LOL

Says the person who dismisses three paragraphs as "nothing there".

It's not all about you, Atheists, or evolutionists, it's about what's true..

Edit:
Often when atheist/evolutionists don't get the answer they want, one that supports their agenda, they see yours as a non answer, and what's worse, because of their wrong conclusion they feel they have now "put you into your place" then see that as more reason to believe their silly evolution must be right.

Create a delusion to help support a delusion. :)

Interesting to say the least.

No, it's not interesting, your "woe is me" responses are quite boring and predictable. Anything to avoid difficult questions though eh?

Back to your original assertion....

Obviously you aren't going to be able to provide the calculations for these astronomical odds you mention, which is fair enough, given that no one actually knows the specifically how life was formed and the conditions that were present. Why you can't be honest about that I don't know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
And yes, it did do what it was supposed to... pointed why these creationist "odds" we keep hearing about are meaningless.

I'm just commenting because I think that you're response to Pitabread (i.e "Nothing there") was rude and dismissive when he'd taken the trouble to answer your question.

I just figured this meant he had no disagreement with what I had written. Therefore, "nothing there" just means "I agree with the information you have provided and there is nothing further to discuss." ;)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just figured this meant he had no disagreement with what I had written. Therefore, "nothing there" just means "I agree with the information you have provided and there is nothing further to discuss." ;)

And now you know better. ;)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You still haven't indicated any disagreement with what I wrote re: probability calculations, so I'm sure you fully agree with everything I wrote.:clap:

You think you made a point and I disagreed.

Common sense deduction for those who have it. ;)

Upvote 0