US-Republican

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yhvh judged it long ago. "What is born of the flesh is flesh, and profits nothing." and "the world loves its own" and greed "love of money" is the motives involved "... is the root of all evil"

so, yes, with a wide brush all the world is under a death sentence. all mankind.

and One Savior for all who seek Him. only One. No other.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so, yes, with a wide brush all the world is under a death sentence. all mankind.

and One Savior for all who seek Him. only One. No other.

Yep. He's right. So enjoy the movie as entertainment and don't look at it as anything else. Noah was a fun movie with a lot of the non-biblical parts drawn from the Book of Enoch. Yeah, Enoch isn't canon, but it is still influential.

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'God' in the movie seemed demiurgic to me. I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't seen it, but.....SPOILERS BELOW...

Noah seemed to achieve 'gnosis' when he saw his grand daughters and saw that the 'god' he was listening to was not God but the demiurge.

That's what I caught anyways. ;)

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How was the soteriology gnostic? There was some Kabbalah stuff in it for sure, but I wouldn't say it ruined the whole movie.

A lot of the movie came from the imagery in the Book of Enoch, which is considered to have gnostic soteriology. But, its much more than that. It is the source of a lot of our pre-Mosaic beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of the movie came from the imagery in the Book of Enoch, which is considered to have gnostic soteriology. But, its much more than that. It is the source of a lot of our pre-Mosaic beliefs.

The Book of Enoch was written some time before the Epistle of Jude was, which was at the very beginning of proto-gnosticism, though it is possible that additions to the book were written by gnostics.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,585.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'God' in the movie seemed demiurgic to me. I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't seen it, but.....SPOILERS BELOW...

Noah seemed to achieve 'gnosis' when he saw his grand daughters and saw that the 'god' he was listening to was not God but the demiurge.

That's what I caught anyways. ;)

That was Al Moehler's take. However, I have two quibbles with your interpretation of the movie ;)

First, the fact that Noah after that scene drank himself until he was black-out drunk shows that he was really depressed for thinking he was going against the will of God. Therefore, he did not have a gnosis at that moment, but rather broke down emotionally when he was overcome with love for the babies.

Second, I am going by memory, I think the answer to what really happened in that scene is revealed by the daughter-in-law when she visits the now hung-over but awake Noah. Noah is guilt stricken that he did not do as God commanded, but she tells him he is viewing it all wrong: God “gave us another chance," she says. This seems to me to convey that God was sovereign over the events and so willed that Noah would show mercy at that moment and thereby show forgiveness to the human race.

Now, I am not quite sure why non-Christians would have conveyed the sovereignty and mercy of God instead of a much more negative picture. My honest opinion is that they were just looking for a "surprise ending" that could somehow be reconciled with the source material (that somehow Noah's sons wives were on board when it seemed that they were not) and not have any overt representations of God which would be considered lame (like when you see the alien at the end of Signs).

So, what you get is a scene where Noah is about to do what he thinks is God's will and without showing God, instead a mysterious gray sky gives Noah a feeling that makes him lose his sense of direction and he goes with his heart. The movie makers obviously thought this was much more dramatic and entertaining than a bad CGI hand from heaven emerging out of the clouds and grabbing Noah's hand.

Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0