WInsted
✟21,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I know the bible says "Honor and your father and mother" and basically to submit to higher authority (Boss at work, a teacher at school) But is it wrong to question something they say, stand up for yourself, if you know its wrong?

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know the bible says "Honor and your father and mother" and basically to submit to higher authority (Boss at work, a teacher at school) But is it wrong to question something they say, stand up for yourself, if you know its wrong?
Stand up for yourself, yes.

Question them... depends on what you mean by wrong, that could cover a wide array of things and be open to interpretation. People make mistakes here all the time.

Either way the appropriateness depends greatly on HOW it is handled. Such things should always be handled with honor and respect. David honored Saul even when Saul was trying to kill him.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I would say no as long as you do it very respectfully. For instance at one employee meeting we were surprised (or ambushed depending on how you look at it) with a lecture on how to handle gay people and since I disagreed I politely left the first half of the meeting. My boss called me in to her office and I explained my objection and the fact that our job is to tutor and nothing more which she agreed with but I still needed to go to the training (she literally told me that physically I had to be there, but not mentally). God intervened, the person kept rescheduling the training and one day canceled it all together and I never had to go.

I stood up for what I believed even though it caused me huge anxiety and could of cost me my job but God saw me through it and I still have my job. If you (general you, not specific you) stands up for something like belief than you must be willing to endure the consequences like in my example I had to confront the fact I could have been fired.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In an honorable fashion, of course!
If you do not stand up for what is right you may end up bringing them even greater dishonor than if you prevent them from continuing on their erroneous path.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with the comments above, but there might be another factor. When I worked in the school system more than once a principal might try to get the teachers to do something that was not in the contract or that violated a job description's details. Sometimes people would try to get others to do their work for them. In that case from what I saw people did respectfully go through the channels and get things turned around. I assume such situations are found in other jobs too.

Now, obviously, the Lord's laws are the highest laws. What if a parent wants to abuse his or her grandchildren or break the law in your home, or whatever? Then, with tact and respect but firmness, one has to stand up for what is right.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
everybody says be respectful in your response to them but what if they are not respectful to you?
Very often they are not, and very often they hang themselves on their own chain. Nevertheless if we maintain honor and respect we are doing the work of our Father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
everybody says be respectful in your response to them but what if they are not respectful to you?
Bad behavior is not an excuse for bad behavior.

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟48,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only thing worthy of honor is the truth.
And if the truth is that a person is untrue, you can honor that person's truth of being untrue, for it is clear and obvious to you to not follow it.
And if you stand to what is true, you are being honorable to those who are untrue, because you bring a light into their darkness for them to see the truth, if they will accept it.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That depends on what they are doing wrong. If they are engaging in some kind of criminal activity or abuse then it would be wrong to go along with it. If you believe they are wrong but it is not something that is illegal or dangerous then you should have a respectful attitude but try and show them where they are wrong. If they refuse to listen that is on them. It's also possible to have differing opinions where both parties strongly believe they are right. In that case hold true to yourself but respect them and their opinion. Agree to disagree. One day they may discover they were wrong or you might discover you were wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
@OldWiseGuy , there is a difference to standing one's ground and stepping onto other's ground.

I agree, and knowing the difference is key. Many people wear their moral sensitivities on their sleeve for all to see. Not smart.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only thing worthy of honor is the truth.
And if the truth is that a person is untrue, you can honor that person's truth of being untrue, for it is clear and obvious to you to not follow it.
And if you stand to what is true, you are being honorable to those who are untrue, because you bring a light into their darkness for them to see the truth, if they will accept it.
And if you stand for what is true in a manner that is untrue what was once true becomes untrue and dishonor will ensue.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Many good comments above that I agree with generally, yet after reading your post again there is simply not information to give an accurate response to your particular situation.

Illustration: If your father or boss tells you to do something sinful, then of course respectfully tell him no and don't let him bully you into doing it if he tries to pressure you still into doing it.

But suppose your father or your boss insults you, yet doesn't tell you to do something sinful. In that case your father or boss is doing wrong, but your duty here is to be silent. You are commanded in Scripture not to return evil for evil or railing for railing; and to be not overcome of evil, but to overcome evil with good (1 Peter 3:12 and Romans 12:21 respectively). There is nothing righteous for you to stand up for in this case; it is only righteous for you to commit the matter to God, trust Him to stand up for you, and go about your duties. You have to make sure you don't descend into the other person's sin.

There is a big distinction between fighting for truth and fighting for self which neither pacifists nor those who fight outside of godly boundaries understand. You haven't given enough information for anyone who reads your question to know what you would be questioning and standing up for.

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟48,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And if you stand for what is true in a manner that is untrue what was once true becomes untrue and dishonor will ensue.
If you stand for what is true in a manner that is untrue, then you stand for what is untrue, period. There is no 'what was once true'. Truth cannot change into something else, or it would not have been true in the first place. Similarly, there is no such thing as a half-truth, for all half-truths are deceptions, and hence, untrue.
When one stands for truth, they do so in 'knowing' the obvious, without fear or doubt, which only truth can provide. Their manner will be true, undeniable, and unconditional; for they simply say what is true.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you stand for what is true in a manner that is untrue, then you stand for what is untrue, period. There is no 'what was once true'. Truth cannot change into something else, or it would not have been true in the first place. Similarly, there is no such thing as a half-truth, for all half-truths are deceptions, and hence, untrue.
When one stands for truth, they do so in 'knowing' the obvious, without fear or doubt, which only truth can provide. Their manner will be true, undeniable, and unconditional; for they simply say what is true.
A. You seem to have missed the point.

B. You need to lighten up or you may end up in the untrue category.

C. You may want to reread what you wrote here a few times:
If you stand for what is true in a manner that is untrue, then you stand for what is untrue, period.

Upvote 0