Feb 7, 2005
✟474.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"I hate you, I hope you die in your sleep" Those words still haunt me... my spouse said those words to me almost 3 years ago, but I still can't shake it. ... I am scared, and I am fearful still to this day. I endured abuse for way too many years of my marriage and now I am free... free, except for the deep scar that these words have left.

There are several places in Scripture where the Lord points out to us that our words can be a blessing or a curse. And both WILL take effect. Jesus told His followers to "bless and do not curse".

First of all, Jesus died on the Cross to take all curses, sins, illnesses upon Himself ("cursed is one who is hung on a tree"). So He already died in your place so you do not have to suffer the effects of your husband's curse. Thank Him for that!

Second of all, ask the Lord's forgiveness for any sins of yours that come to mind. It is difficult to be sinless in even the best of marriages!

Third, forgive your husband for speaking out that curse against you (and for all his abuses against you). Your bondage to him will not be broken until you have forgiven him.

Fourth, ask Jesus to bless your husband. Bless his health, bless his spirituality, bless his finances, bless him with friends, bless him with a heart that can give and receive love, etc... (I know this is VERY difficult to do when someone close to you has hurt you so deeply -- but Jesus forgave His torturers from the Cross and calls us to do the same -- it is the ONLY way to obtain freedom.) You may have to pray prayers of forgiveness and blessing several times before you feel that you really mean it. Ask Jesus to help you have His own heart of forgiveness and mercy.

Lastly, pray to be released from the curse of his words against you.
"Lord Jesus, I believe that on the cross You took on Yourself every curse that could ever come upon me. So I now release myself from every curse -- especially from my husband, and every evil influence and every dark shadow over me or my children from any source whatsoever, in Your name, Jesus Christ. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for setting me free.

Holy Spirit, in place of these curses, I ask you to pour out your abundant blessings upon me and my children. Restore us and heal us and draw us deeply into the heart of God. Amen.

(My heart goes out to you and I will be praying for your freedom! as are many here on this forum.) :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Ann M

Legend
Feb 20, 2004
Brisbane
✟29,179.00
Faith
Catholic
Churl,

To be honest the first thing I thought when I read that comment was that I, too, wish to die peacefully in my sleep. Of all the different ways that we hear of people dying, to actually die in your sleep would be a beautiful blessing. Maybe if you 'rewrite' his comment it may help you. Something like "When the time comes, I hope you die peacefully in your sleep." Would it help to explain it this way to the children also, for it plays on their minds like it plays on yours, they may need to speak about it too?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.