Not open for further replies.

ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do I HATE it!!!...I can't help it! I even despise it so much that a lot of times I will only recieve the bread at mass. I mean I have seen so many horrible consequences that alcohol can bring about and quite frankly,it terrifies me. And more than that, I just do NOT see ANY point of EVER getting drunk. Three of my best friends got completely drunk last night, and the whole time I was just sitting there bored out of my mind or making sure they weren't getting into more trouble, and I feel like I don't even know who they are anymore...I mean even before they got drunk they were different and the alcohol just added to the awkwardness. And what the heck is the point to hang out with people and have the sole pupose of the night to be getting "trashed". Yay for sitting at a counter for three to four hours doing nothing but drinking....(that was completely sarcastic). I just don't understand what compels people to do something so stupid. I mean, not only are there consequential dangers, health dangers (physical and mental), and legal dangers....it's moraly wrong to be drunk. It seriously mind boggles me why anyone would ever drink. OY!! Maybe I'm just overexagerrating because I am dissapointed, hurt, shocked, and probably incredibly angry, but I seriously just don't understand....ONE BIT!! If anyone can explain it to me, I would be very greatful.

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary

Reactions: Sisof8

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
ejgsmalls said:
I do I HATE it!!!...I can't help it! I even despise it so much that a lot of times I will only recieve the bread at mass. I mean I have seen so many horrible consequences that alcohol can bring about and quite frankly,it terrifies me. And more than that, I just do NOT see ANY point of EVER getting drunk. Three of my best friends got completely drunk last night, and the whole time I was just sitting there bored out of my mind or making sure they weren't getting into more trouble, and I feel like I don't even know who they are anymore...I mean even before they got drunk they were different and the alcohol just added to the awkwardness. And what the heck is the point to hang out with people and have the sole pupose of the night to be getting "trashed". Yay for sitting at a counter for three to four hours doing nothing but drinking....(that was completely sarcastic). I just don't understand what compels people to do something so stupid. I mean, not only are there consequential dangers, health dangers (physical and mental), and legal dangers....it's moraly wrong to be drunk. It seriously mind boggles me why anyone would ever drink. OY!! Maybe I'm just overexagerrating because I am dissapointed, hurt, shocked, and probably incredibly angry, but I seriously just don't understand....ONE BIT!! If anyone can explain it to me, I would be very greatful.

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary
I hope my daughters feel the same way that you do when they're your age.. (and long before)

Michelle

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In all my 50 years of being around family and friends I have never noticed good and positive family/ friend results coming from alcohol use..I can on the other hand can tell you many negative family/friend results and outcomes from alcohol usage..shalom..kim
PS I have never drank and with wine or grape juice for communion , I take grape juice..I also would not want a weaker brother to stumble from my liberty..

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
First of all, it's not bread, it's the Body of Christ, and it's not wine, it's the Blood of Christ. That said, you don't have to receive the Blood of Christ during mass, since the Body and the Blood are present in both species.

For what it's worth, I enjoy alcohol. I think it smells, tastes and feels wonderful. I've never been drunk, and I've never driven after I've drank. You may not like alcohol, but be careful not to inadvertently slam people who do.

Upvote 0

dangerousdave

Dec 21, 2004
✟231.00
Faith
Christian
Caedmon said:
First of all, it's not bread, it's the Body of Christ, and it's not wine, it's the Blood of Christ. That said, you don't have to receive the Blood of Christ during mass, since the Body and the Blood are present in both species.

For what it's worth, I enjoy alcohol. I think it smells, tastes and feels wonderful. I've never been drunk, and I've never driven after I've drank. You may not like alcohol, but be careful not to inadvertently slam people who do.

Hey bro, I just checked your picture. I must say thats beautiful.:) :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm starting to agree with the OP. Alcohol is not agreeing with me like it used to. Now, I get incredible heartburn from just a sip! And I don't like the way I feel in the morning even after 1 or 2 drinks. I used to not have hangovers at all, no matter how much I drank (and with my ancestry, I could drink anyone under the table...). It's not worth it anymore.

Upvote 0

Y_Cathol

Ego Sum Servus Iesu Christi - I am an exile.
May 17, 2004
Alberton
Visit site
✟17,424.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have nothing against once in a while drinking... it is the "drink to get drunk" alcoholism that bothers me. I got drunk once, and it caused me to become a "tea totaler"...

That said, the Blood of Christ is not wine. it is only the "accident" that remains. it is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ. If I get the opportunity, I am greatful for the Mercy of Christ in that He has allowed me to receive Him in this manner.

:)

Peace.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
HisKid1973 said:
In all my 50 years of being around family and friends I have never noticed good and positive family/ friend results coming from alcohol use..I can on the other hand can tell you many negative family/friend results and outcomes from alcohol usage..shalom..kim
PS I have never drank and with wine or grape juice for communion , I take grape juice..I also would not want a weaker brother to stumble from my liberty..

I agree that alcohol can be bad. It can lead to addiction, disease, violence, sex, etc. But I would hesitate to condemn it as totally useless and bad. I've seen, many times, alcohol used with no negative results and actually some positive results (adding to the fun without overdoing it and causing bad things.)

Upvote 0

FlatpickingJD

Losing the battle with oxalis
Dec 2, 2005
✟38,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Physiologically, there are benefits to alcohol use, specifically wine - lowers blood pressure, anti-oxidants, that kind of thing. But those effects are limited, usually like a glass of wine a day. Drinking solely to get drunk is something else entirely. If you don't like how people act when drunk, don't drink. Nothing wrong w/that. And maybe your example will help your friends stop drinking to excess too.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I symapthise with your diatribe completely. Drinking-for-the-sake-of-getting-drunk is no better than sniffing coke or doing other drugs. It's inhuman.

Now for the other side. Coming from a half-Mediterranean family, I can tell you that a glass of good wine, well-chosen to go with the food, makes a great meal just heavenly!

And coming from a workaholic professional couple, I'll tell you that a Scotch after a day of stressful meetings is the only thing that will make my husband and me fit for human company again.

As the ancient Greeks said: everything in moderation!

Cheers (literally!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all your replies, and thanks for letting me vent. I have been praying for my friends, of course, but in the meantime, I really don't know how to respond to all this. I think that perhaps, when I am actually 21 and it is legal for me to drink, then I might loosen up a bit, but I will probably only drink one at the most. I just don't see a point in drinking more than that...I mean other liquids taste great too. OY! Maybe I am just naive or something, but really, I just don't get it. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my rants.

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ejgsmalls said:
Thanks for all your replies, and thanks for letting me vent. I have been praying for my friends, of course, but in the meantime, I really don't know how to respond to all this. I think that perhaps, when I am actually 21 and it is legal for me to drink, then I might loosen up a bit, but I will probably only drink one at the most. I just don't see a point in drinking more than that...I mean other liquids taste great too. OY! Maybe I am just naive or something, but really, I just don't get it. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my rants.

God Bless and Bless God,
~Mary

I don't think you have offended anyone and your one-drink-only idea is right on target!

How to deal with your friends now? I would say, find some nice polite words with which to tell them basically exactly what you told us. Maybe they need to hear it from one of their peers. Any better ideas, anyone?

But as for the taste of other drinks... just promise me that if you are eating a first-class Italian meal, you will not wash it down with Coke or similar. It's either good red wine, or unflavoured sparkling water!!!!!:mad: ;) God bless!

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Globalnomad said:
I don't think you have offended anyone and your one-drink-only idea is right on target!

How to deal with your friends now? I would say, find some nice polite words with which to tell them basically exactly what you told us. Maybe they need to hear it from one of their peers. Any better ideas, anyone?

The OP is young and her friends probably shouldn't be drinking anyways.

Globalnomad said:
But as for the taste of other drinks... just promise me that if you are eating a first-class Italian meal, you will not wash it down with Coke or similar. It's either good red wine, or unflavoured sparkling water!!!!!:mad: ;) God bless!

You're going to laugh. My first real job was at a fancy Italian restaurant where I was the dish dog/cook/busboy friday and saturday nights. I ate well and eventually learned to cook well. As I worked there from age 14 to 18, I got into the habit of enjoying fine, severely discounted, meals with a Coke after each shift. I still have Coke :doh: when my family is fortunate enough to have me show off my culinary skills.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.