I feel betrayed by God

Musician4Jesus

Sep 7, 2006
✟11,215.00
Faith
Baptist
I realize that you shouldn't rely too much on feelings with your faith, because they have the potential to be very misleading, and can thus negatively impact your relationship with God as a result. 'Feel' is probably a poor word choice, but unfortunately it's the only word I can find that fits.

As the title of the post says, I feel betrayed by God. I will explain why below.

Most of my life has been pain, sorrow, and hardship; everyone deals with the aforementioned stuff to some degree, but the reality is life is just more difficult for some people than it is for either, and not solely because of having a negative outlook. The sad truth is that unfortunately for whatever reason(s), some people face more pain, sorrow, hardship than others do.

I was born with Asperger's Syndrome (a milder form of Autism) and was also born with a learning disability; Asperger's Syndrome unfortunately is chronic and effects every aspect of a person's life who has it. This isn't being negative it's just the reality of having it. From a communication standpoint, I grew up in a household where the dynamic was very dysfunctional (yes my parents loved and cared about me, provided for me, etc.).
Due to the the fact that Asperger's syndrome is a milder form of Autism, many times it's not even seen as a legitimate disability, and many times isn't taken seriously as a result. To exacerbate things, with our education system if you have any kind of disability, you're not even given a chance (at least not in American society), you're defined by your disability and seen as destined to fail because of having the disability. You also tend to be stigmatized and seen as inferior because of having a disability (by the church, by society, and sadly sometimes by your family too). Most people (and sadly this sometimes applies to Christians too) don't even make the effort to attempt to understand the disability; this also applies to mental illness (which IS NOT THE SAME as a mental disability) and I have chronic depression that I've struggled with 18 years.

Unfortunately having a disability comes with a huge set of barriers, and a major one is that people with disabilities are far more likely to be in poverty. To make things more frustrating, most Americans just assume that there's only one kind of poverty, (which there's not) and they tend to view poverty as the type that is the most extreme (i.e. no food, no potable water, no place to live, no consistent access to electricity and other utilities). The reality is that in a first world country, you can have access to all the above mentioned things, and still be in poverty; the reason for this is because that in a first world country like USA, extreme poverty is very rare because it's a first world country. I am in financial poverty; I have a source of income, but it's not enough to live off of. If I try to earn enough money that it IS enough to live off of, my income is cut. I realize that if you're trying to become self-sufficient via a FT job (not living off disability) that it's not expected that you live off disability forever. However the truth is that while you're still in the process of making the transition to being self-sufficient via a job, you need to have your main source of income while you're still making that transition, and if your main income is cut and/or taken away completely while you're making this transition, you're back where you started and/or your worse off than you were before. The way the american welfare system is set up makes it close to impossible to get off of it, because you're essentially penalized for working.

To make things more frustrating, there is often this mentality (both with American culture as a whole and with mainstream Christianity) that all you have to do is work hard enough, try hard enough, and things will work out. My generation (millennials) have barriers to contend with that previous generations didn't have to deal with, I am not only dealing with the barriers common to my generation, but also the barriers that come with having a disability. As a result, the work hard and try hard and you can accomplish anything shtick doesn't work, especially if you have a disability.

Last but not least, the sad truth is that with contemporary and mainstream Christian culture in America, it's very common that people with disabilities and also those with mental disabilities, are the ones that tend to be forgotten and stigmatized. I am not making generalizations with this, I am speaking from about 10-15 years personal experience of going to mainstream Christian churches in America.

I also went through emotional and verbal abuse as a kid via bullying, and as a result, is partially the reason why I have most of the mental and emotional issues I do today. The typical 'solution' from Christians is 'go see a counselor' but that's only ONE of many issues I'm dealing with. TO make things more frustrating most Christians aren't willing to make the effor to attempt to understand mental illness. It's either that or those that don't have mental illness in the church, think they will make things worse/do the wrong thing since they don't have it, so they don't do anything, which isn't the solution, and it's not helping, it's indirectly isolating those with mental illness, who already receive enough stigma as it is. You don't have to be a counselor to support someone with mental illness, and there is this unwritten rule with most christian churches, you don't openly talk about something that has the potential to offend/intimidate and/or make someone feel uncomfortable, and mental illness falls under this category. Having support with mental illness makes it easier to deal with, and when you can't openly talk about it at church on sundays, and small groups/life groups, that's NOT being supportive!

Due to all the aforementioned stuff I feel very betrayed by God. He knew how difficult all this stuff would make my life, and yet he allowed it to happen anyway. have been dealing with all the aforementioned stuff for at least 10 years, and there is no end in site. I realize that Jesus promised difficulty/trials but He didn't say that's all life is going to consist of here on earth either. The Bible promises a hope and a future, and I realize that following God means relinquishing what you want for your life, your plans/desires etc. However all I want is to not live in chronic poverty which sucks, and to not live in chronic stress, which is what most normal people want! However I feel trapped, and things seem hopeless. I wake up daily knowing I'm going to have to deal with all the aforementioned stuff. This isn't just 'difficult circumstances' it's the reality of my life. I hate where I live, but can't afford to live on my own, even if finances weren't an issue, I can't live alone, because it WILL make my depression worse. I live with chronic stress, and it's been this way for most of my adult life. I AM NOT SAYING that God is the cause of my problems/issues I'm dealing with in my life. God in his sovereignty allows both good and bad things to happen (the book of Job is a perfect example of this) Saying that God ALLOWS bad stuff to happen isn't somehow insinuating that he's the cause of the bad stuff, there is a difference between saying God allows bad stuff to happen, and saying he's the source of the bad stuff, and I'm not saying he's the source of the stuff I'm dealing with. I can't just force myself to trust God when I don't and I've prayed incessantly about all this stuff and why I'm angry with God, but I'm still angry with Him, I still feel betrayed by Him, and I still don't trust Him. I am at a loss of what to do.

Last edited:

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think everyone has such feelings about God even to the point that they presume He must not exist. What's interesting about your experience is it reminds me of the Christ who was a person rejected and disdained by many. He suffered in this world accordingly and was eventually killed for preaching the Truth. The thing about the Good news of the kingdom of God is that to believe in it, one must accept that this world is not the kingdom of God. This world is not controlled by God. This world is an example of what happens when God is not trusted in.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing your frustrations. Somehow you need to find your breakthrough. I believe it can come through you getting more knowledge about God and his love. Many of us do have seasons where we are down and have bitterness toward God. Think back though, were you always like that? Wasn't there a time when you felt hopeful? Somehow you have to get back there. You have to be more like Caleb and Joshua and less like the spies that thought the giants were too large. So how can this be done? Faith comes from hearing, hearing by the word of God.
Proverbs 25:11 (KJV)
11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
You need a word from God. To get that you need to clear the clutter of bitterness and all those bad feelings. I do not mean to shut them up. No, instead share them openly with the idea that you can cast them to God. Ask for wisdom concerning your situation. Somewhere there is a plan where you can find the joy of the Lord. It will start on the inside if you let it and it can work it's way into other aspects of your life. To get a word, you have to find your promises through God's word. Start with small things, get some victory under you belt and as you keep after the things of God, more and more doors will open up.

Try to do less grumbling and more confession of the promises God shows you. I once took a mission trip and found myself grumbling because I literally had very little meat to eat. I remember sharing this with another person in our group. The very next day, unexpectedly, a bush pilot landed at our somewhat remote camp. He sometimes came to this Christian outpost but on this occasion it was his birthday. He brought steaks to celebrate it with all. This was almost unbelievable, in spite of my shortcomings, God addressed my situation with His love. Now I know what I did was wrong, grumbling is indeed serious. To this day though, I am ashamed, yet amazed too at how God can overwhelm us in spite of ourselves.

I pray you get overwhelmed, that you get a "know so," an ongoing word and revelation from God from the bible, to your heart. That you would find others that can share your burdens, cultivate your hopes and encourage your faith.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I AM NOT SAYING that God is the cause of my problems/issues I'm dealing with in my life.

God in his sovereignty allows both good and bad things to happen (the book of Job is a perfect example of this) Saying that God ALLOWS bad stuff to happen isn't somehow insinuating that he's the cause of the bad stuff, there is a difference between saying God allows bad stuff to happen, and saying he's the source of the bad stuff, and I'm not saying he's the source of the stuff I'm dealing with.

I can't just force myself to trust God when I don't and I've prayed incessantly about all this stuff and why I'm angry with God, but I'm still angry with Him, I still feel betrayed by Him, and I still don't trust Him. I am at a loss of what to do.

It is difficult to bring any kind of clarity to your issues, on a forum, therefore I
will only speak to one because , it is the most important one and that it must be understood first.

You are a Christian for the sole purpose of having a relationship with God.

Through Jesus' Sacrifice you have been Reconciled to God.

Gods' Grace was not given to make your life on earth easier, to take away all of the problems you have and will encounter, the fact that you are expressing these things proves that.

It says.

Gal 3:28
There is neither
1) Jew nor Greek,
there is neither
2) bond nor free,
there is neither
3) male nor female:
for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

It's saying, anyone, once in Christ, has the same exact ability to have a personal one on one relationship with God Himself, this relationship can be as close as "YOU" want it to be.

Looking for God to take you out of your circumstances no matter what they might be is the wrong viewpoint of your relationship.

Example.

Do you only make friends with others for what they can do for you?

Do you have the same feelings of Anger and Betrayal because they have not solved your Problems, Issues, Handicap?

Why then do you expect, require, demand God to do more, He has already given you Salvation, He has given you freedom from His Wrath, He has adopted you to be His Child.....You are truly Blessed.

When God looks at you, he sees you as whole, without any handicap that would hinder you in having a Relationship with Him, you are equal with any man that has ever lived, Adam, Abraham, Moses.

Be content to have a Relationship with the God of the Universe, the Creator of Heaven and Earth.

Look at it this way, don't you think God would enjoy it if, you came to Him tonight and asked Him how his day went, without asking Him for anything for yourself?

It says that God Communed with Adam in the cool of the evening, wouldn't you like to Commune with God like that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have aspergers too, and i have zero friends, and i have been mistreated a lot, people even from church just don't seem to 'know' i exist, but i found comfort in God despite all the sufferings, its still not enough for me, but we should 'grab' Jesus with force, this world is not even worth it without God, God has stuff for us, blessings, comfort, plans too i think, we need God a lot, even if everything else sucks, having a God that is in charge of your life and has eternal life, and he is very big, and can be our friend too, we need to be faithful to him the best way we can.

Also prayer is very important, for God to do things in our life, we need to seek and pray a lot, if you don't know what to say, just ask for help, and that you want to be closer to him, nothing is better than to have a good relationship with God, because if we do, things are going to be good for us no matter what else happèns.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Work on your relationship with God with prayer, you don't need nice words, just state your need to a God that understands you, if you pray a lot when you are doing other things even, God listen, as you can imagine we need God badly, but sometimes we need to seek and pray have faith, even Jesus prayed a lot and i don't know even why, because he could communicate direclty with God i guess, but that time talking to God is important for us too.

Ask your needs,
ask that you want to know him
ask help to do his commandments
ask about your sorrows etc, like with a friend.
seeking God is very important.

Upvote 0

Ayenew

Mar 2, 2019
Addis Ababa
✟42,766.00
Country
Ethiopia
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank God that you are in this situation. You may not be with God if not for the hardships of your life. It is better to loose all and be with God. I feel how hard it is, because I used to be like you. But once you have an intimate relationship with God, other things become extra. And I think you should make yourself busy with a job requiring less interaction with people.

Upvote 0

Decalogue

May 6, 2020
San Francisco
✟11,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The fact that you are trying to work the issue through with a community of believers means you do care about your relationship with God, even if you are sorting through your feelings about it. That's a positive sign.

There is also a nuance to the way you think about the relationship which is important. You show good critical thinking skills.

While my problems are not the same as yours, I am at a low point as well. In terms of my health falling apart despite being relatively young (early 40s). Basic things I cannot do like walk more than 10 minutes without sitting down (whereas before I used to lift weights regularly, bike-ride, play tennis). Anything more than a 15 minute drive, I am exhausted. When I drive to my parent's place an hour away; I am exhausted for the rest of the day. Days like today are not uncommon where there is this fatigue and pain in my body and difficulty breathing to the point I can't do much except rest (could not work today; could not earn anything). I feel like I'm living in Bizarro World where everything is the opposite of what it should be; esp. as I used to be in excellent health.

It's been this way for 6 years and continuing. One time a close friend upon hearing my change of fate and all the things I couldn't do said "What's the point of living at that point?". I know he meant no harm, just tactless I guess.

All of this has changed me in many ways. I am more sympathetic to the weaknesses of others that I wasn't before. It made me think about the following in a way that's more than just a hollow slogan: "BE KIND, FOR EVERYONE IS FIGHTING A BATTLE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT"

I have re-calibrated what's possible in my life. While I have hope and faith the Lord will heal me (as so many were healed by Jesus in his time on Earth), I have lowered my expectations professionally which ironically, has removed a massive burden I've lived with my entire adult life.

I say none of this to take away from your struggle. And from your writeup, I can feel your pain. I can relate to having an illness people don't understand or recognize and how frustrating that can be. I also will pray you find a caring Christian community group that can see your illness for what it is; and not think of it as something less than that.

My deteriorated health 6 years ago and continues. I don't know if it will be 10 years or 40 years or if I will recover sooner. I don't know what God's plan is for me. But along the way He has worked miracles in me, such as giving me a calm and peace I couldn't find elsewhere. James 1:12 says "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.". I will persevere, and I hope you will too.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One can appreciate your concerns, friend, and I just want to encourage you to CONTINUE in faith to our God through His "...beloved Son" ---the Lord Jesus (our best Friend as well as Savior). Hold fast to our Lord! (as John 3; John 14; John 16:7-14). -1watchman

• Agree
Reactions: Ronit
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a quick fix for anybody's problems, especially for those suffering permanent disabilities or chronic disease.

I don't trust God at times either, depending on the state of my liver at the time, if you'll pardon the experession. He hasn't been much help in some ways. Even my old pastor admitted that. He once said to me "Sometimes I wonder if He (God) wants to win (the spiritual battle). He doesn't seem to help his own people much."

Having said that, I know with absolute certainty that He is there. I've had too many spiritual experiences of one sort and another to doubt that.

So for whatever reason He allows these things to happen, to the point where we're strongly tempted to give up on Him. In the end I suppose it's a test of faith - will we go on trusting Him in a world where He seems to have disappeared?

Where was He for example when Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge were rampaging over Cambodia? The Nazis with their Holocaust? (And that was only stopped by a lot of other people putting their lives on the line).

Where was He in the 2004 Tsunami? The Gulags? When Genghis Khan's hordes were murdering millions? When the Black Death obliterated about a third of (Christian) Europe's population?

Then there are all the people who spend their entire lives in poverty, or can't get enough to eat, or suffer other injustice, or who are stigmatised for being disabled, or a different skin colour, or a different culture, or being intellectually disabled, etc.

He doesn't seem to do much to help a lot of the time. Miraculous healings are few and far between.

But He's there. And so is the devil (who God made incidentally).

In the meantime, I'd suggest that some sort of community where you're helping each other would be a start. It may be all you can do for the time being.

• Haha
Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums