Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Sorry it's taken so long to respond. All of your responses were very well taken and considered deeply. I am not angry at God. I'm angry at what man has turned Christianity into. Therefore I'm going to focus on being a good Samaritan without tying my religion to it.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry it's taken so long to respond. All of your responses were very well taken and considered deeply. I am not angry at God. I'm angry at what man has turned Christianity into. Therefore I'm going to focus on being a good Samaritan without tying my religion to it.
Surrender your life to Christ and ask Him to take over and
lead you and give you His wisdom and fill you with His Spirit
instead of following what you think or what others say.

Jesus Christ is alive and we have access to the Father through
Him so we can talk to our Father and He will hear us and will
guide us and order our foot steps.

Ask God to Give you more of His Holy Spirit so that your life
will become more in tune with the will of your Father.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I want to hear what your understanding of justification apart from works is, in your own words.

The reason for this is that I spent a couple decades of my life trying to be good enough for God as I thought that is how a person got saved.

Some of your comments in your OP indicate to me you are in the same error. I want to make sure you know and understand the truth on this, it is important.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not all of us believe that because someone has not heard of Jesus Christ that they are damned for eternity. It sounds like you've been listening to certain groups of people who love to illuminate this belief and feel it's proof God is an old meanie!!
I'm so sorry that the state of the world and the shape of the church has left you so disillusioned. It happened to me too. For 22 years I stayed FAR away from the church and Christianity. I'm so thankful that the Lord is patient and long-suffering but it's impossible to measure what I missed out on. What blessings did the Lord have in store for me? I will never know.
It's great that you want to help people but not a day goes by that I don't get accused ( by an atheist ) of doing good because I'm in search of heavenly gain or I'm trying to "work my way into heaven" or any other nonsense that can be thought of --NONE of which are true!! Jesus paid the price for us all. I do not need to do good works to gain Gods approval because,as you know nothing we could do would be good enough to pay for our sins. This is why we needed the blood of Christ. Christianity is not a works based faith. Don't let ANYONE cause you to second guess the motives you have behind a good deed. Unless,of course,you really were trying to gain Gods approval by your good deeds--then it's time to reassess your relationship with God.
It sounds as if you are struggling with God right now and I pray you can find whatever it is you need to allow you to feel whole and complete again.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not all of us believe that because someone has not heard of Jesus Christ that they are damned for eternity. It sounds like you've been listening to certain groups of people who love to illuminate this belief and feel it's proof God is an old meanie!!

People are damned on account of their sin, not simply for failing to hear about Jesus.

Justification is by faith in Christ, and as St Paul asks:

Romans 10:14

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

Upvote 0

ThatWhichIsnt

evidence trumps all
Apr 20, 2011
✟8,158.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Huh?

Upvote 0

Raiyuu

I Will Welcome the Reaping
Apr 21, 2012
✟8,147.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Don't let ANYONE cause you to second guess the motives you have behind a good deed. Unless,of course,you really were trying to gain Gods approval by your good deeds--then it's time to reassess your relationship with God.

Wait a minuet, we should all question our motives when we are doing a good deed because although it's a good deed, it can be for an evil reason.

For example, if you do good just because it makes you feel good then that's selfish. Good deeds should be done out of love (1 Corinthians 16:14). Either towards God or towards other people but ultimately it should be done because of your love for God and what He's done for you on the cross.

If you trace back the motive of your good deeds then you reveal the heart behind it. If that makes any sense :S

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
I want to hear what your understanding of justification apart from works is, in your own words.

The reason for this is that I spent a couple decades of my life trying to be good enough for God as I thought that is how a person got saved.

Some of your comments in your OP indicate to me you are in the same error. I want to make sure you know and understand the truth on this, it is important.

My intent was not to say we're saved through works. I do believe I put in my original post that I believe we are saved through Grace. That is what I believe. We are saved through the grace that God gave us on the cross, and through the grace he gives us to get through each day.

However, going by the parable of the talents, and 1st Corinthians 3:11-14 all seem to indicate that the good deeds we do will count towards rewards in heaven.Not Salvation, but rewards that you can save up. The servants who utilized the talents their masters gave them were given more at the end of the day, the man who builds with precious materials that withstand the day of judgement will be given a reward.

Even verses in Matthew say do not save up for yourselves treasures on earth where thieves break in and steal and moths and rust destroy, but save up for yourself treasures in heaven. How else is that supposed to be done but through good deeds?

THAT is what I'm talking about. I hate the idea that one of the main reasons to do good on earth is so you'll get rewarded in the hereafter. I feel that it cheapens the reason for doing a good deed. In fact the case could be argued that doing a good deed for reward no longer makes it a truly good deed, but it becomes the means to a very selfish end.

I'm also afraid of falling into a pit trap of thinking that because I'm a Christian my good deeds are somehow better than an Atheists good deeds. I feel that thinking also pervades the Christian church because of verses in Isaiah that say all of our righteousnesses are like filthy rags because of our sin.

I know the verse is talking about how deeds done with a sinful prideful heart repel God, that he doesn't care about them. Yet somehow that verse has been translated by so many people in my life that by merely being a Christian gives our good deeds merit in the sight of God, and somehow that makes our good deeds better than anyone else who isn't a Christian.

My main point to the post is this: I feel like the American church is getting the concept of good deeds WAY wrong, and that I've been getting them way wrong, and the only way to get it right is to leave religion out of outreach entirely.

Going back to the grace of God: Can that grace extend to corners of the globe where Jesus will never be heard of? Can an individual who never heard the name Jesus, or even knew about the judeo Christian God, rely on the grace of whatever deity they know and they will be saved by that dependance on Grace?

One of my more unorthodox beliefs is yes, they can. In every religion around the world there is a branch or sect that relies on the grace of that faiths deity. I believe that a dependance on grace, and not works, is one of the reasons no man can be held unaccountable, even if they grew up in the wilds of Africa.

The thing is I don't know if that makes me a non Christian or not, and if it doesn't make me a Christian then I don't want to be a Christian. It's something I've read from authors like C.S. Lewis, and N.T. Wright, it is derived from the theology of Grace. The only thing I haven't figured out is where Christs death ties into it.

If a man can be saved through dependance on grace alone, then why was it so freakin' important that Jesus die?

I'm confused. I don't want to belong to a faith that teaches it's got the answer to the only way to get to Heaven, because that means ALOT of people who lived ordinary, regular joe lives get to spend an eternity away from God simply because they don't believe in a mans 33 years of ministry, his 3 hours of dying, his 3 days of being dead, and then his Resurrection and ascension.

So you say that we don't go to hell for not believing in Jesus, we go to hell for our sins. Alright, let's look at Joseph Stalin. Do I believe he warrants eternity in heaven? No. Apart from not believing in Jesus, he also lived an evil life. He killed more people than Hitler did, probably had a weird sex life, and is generally considered one of the most evil men of the 20th century. He lived 75 years.

You're telling me, that 75 years of sinful living is enough to warrant an eternity (as in it's so big it is out of time itself) in hell, when those 75 years don't even show up as a blip on the entire time line of the universe itself?

That's not Justice! If we are created in Gods image, we have a basic understanding of his concept of Justice, we understand what it is to be just and merciful because of God. A good judge in a courtroom isn't going to put a pot smoker on death row. That's not justice, and yet we expect a perfectly just God(from whom we get our understanding of Justice) to put every single non believer on the planet in eternal death row simply because they sinned?

There are so many holes in Christianity. It's an imperfect religion and because I'm imperfect my relationship with God will always be imperfect. I will always have these questions that cannot be answered.

Isn't it easier then to say I believe in God, I believe he loves me, I believe he wants me to take care of the world around me and do it rather than to put a label to it?

Again I am so sorry this is so long. Like I said in my last post I'm angry that Christianity is what it's become, and I feel like we've missed something. Am I confused by my relationship with God, and how he relates in my life. Yes, yes I am, but I'm not angry at him. It's the weirdest feeling.

Upvote 0

Strider1002

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You're telling me, that 75 years of sinful living is enough to warrant an eternity (as in it's so big it is out of time itself) in hell, when those 75 years don't even show up as a blip on the entire time line of the universe itself?

75 years is more than enough time to accept or reject Christ. That's all it comes down to. In terms of sinful living, 75 years and a single day both weigh the same on God's scale. Repentance is what tips the scales in your favor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hate the idea that one of the main reasons to do good on earth is so you'll get rewarded in the hereafter. I feel that it cheapens the reason for doing a good deed. In fact the case could be argued that doing a good deed for reward no longer makes it a truly good deed, but it becomes the means to a very selfish end.

That would be true if we were still outside of God and doing good deeds to somehow earn something separate from His own merits. But that is not the case. The purpose of salvation is to bring us back into union with Him. This is not a mere fellowship, as in two separate people who happen to get along, but rather an ontological union, after the model of the Trinity, with distinct persons but one essence. This is why Paul describes our union with Christ using the "one-flesh" analogy of marriage, for indeed we are the bride of Christ.

"It is God who is working within us, to will and to do His good pleasure". If you're standing separate from Him doing good works for a higher place in heaven, that's the wrong motivation of selfish ambition, condemned in James 3. Our motivation should be to please God, and we should want to yield ourselves more to Him so that we can have more of Him. The entire thing is supposed to be God-centric, not self-centered. If it isn't, you're missing the point.

Going back to the grace of God: Can that grace extend to corners of the globe where Jesus will never be heard of? Can an individual who never heard the name Jesus, or even knew about the judeo Christian God, rely on the grace of whatever deity they know and they will be saved by that dependance on Grace?
One of my more unorthodox beliefs is yes, they can. In every religion around the world there is a branch or sect that relies on the grace of that faiths deity. I believe that a dependance on grace, and not works, is one of the reasons no man can be held unaccountable, even if they grew up in the wilds of Africa.
The thing is I don't know if that makes me a non Christian or not, and if it doesn't make me a Christian then I don't want to be a Christian. It's something I've read from authors like C.S. Lewis, and N.T. Wright, it is derived from the theology of Grace. The only thing I haven't figured out is where Christs death ties into it.
If a man can be saved through dependance on grace alone, then why was it so freakin' important that Jesus die?
I'm not clear why you wrote "unaccountable" above. Was it a typo?

Christ's sacrifice is what opened the door and ushered in the grace of God. No matter how one receives that grace, rest assured it would not be available unless Christ had established the legal basis for it. In this case, you can have an expansive theory of grace, and still honor Christ's sacrifice. But without that sacrifice, there is no grace.

So you say that we don't go to hell for not believing in Jesus, we go to hell for our sins.
I don’t know who wrote that, but it is incorrect. We go to hell if we reject Christ. That is the one sin that cannot be forgiven, because in committing it we close ourselves off to God's forgiveness, even though that forgiveness may continue be available in infinite supply. Dealing with the sin is the easy part, because the Price has already been paid. But if we reject Christ, the Blood cannot be applied. The issue is what you will do with Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Christianity hasn't changed. Humans do not change its orthodox beliefs or practices; they choose to abuse, corrupt, or not practice them.

Again, I encourage you to study. The Anglican forum here is a fine place especially for you.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,783,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a clean up.
As a reminder, the site rules include:
Respect and become familiar with each forum's Statement of Purpose. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose; submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion. Off Topic posts will be moved or removed.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My intent was not to say we're saved through works. I do believe I put in my original post that I believe we are saved through Grace. That is what I believe. We are saved through the grace that God gave us on the cross, and through the grace he gives us to get through each day.

OK.

THAT is what I'm talking about. I hate the idea that one of the main reasons to do good on earth is so you'll get rewarded in the hereafter. I feel that it cheapens the reason for doing a good deed. In fact the case could be argued that doing a good deed for reward no longer makes it a truly good deed, but it becomes the means to a very selfish end.

I got you.

I've thought about this as well. I'd have thought good deeds should be done simply for the love of God, not so God will give you something in return, because isn't that like using good deeds as a means to another ends, one other than God?

Also throw into this Jesus' statements like:

Matthew 25:34-40

Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

It almost sounds to me like the righteous are like "Huh? We did good stuff? When?", whereas I'd have thought a person working for rewards would know that they do that stuff already.

I don't have an answer to this sorry, let me know if you sort it out because I'd be curious to hear it.

I'm also afraid of falling into a pit trap of thinking that because I'm a Christian my good deeds are somehow better than an Atheists good deeds. I feel that thinking also pervades the Christian church because of verses in Isaiah that say all of our righteousnesses are like filthy rags because of our sin.

That's true... IF you're using them as bribes for God, yeah? For example, say when you're a kid your mum tells you to clean your room, but instead of that you clean the whole house except for your room. Is that obedience? No, it's rebellion, so all that stuff you just did is not good at all. Well, God demands perfection so we cannot just do a bunch of good stuff in hopes that this will somehow meet that demand, hence the need for Christ's obedience on our behalf, you know the rest.

But I don't think Isaiah is talking about righteous deeds altogether. This is because you have a bloke like Abraham who is described by St James as follows:

James 2:21-24

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

And yes, I know that looks like it totally flies in the face of what St Paul is teaching about justification being by faith apart from works. There's an explanation to this that I won't go into detail here, but it's to do with the original language using a word translated "justification" having more than one sense to it.

I know the verse is talking about how deeds done with a sinful prideful heart repel God, that he doesn't care about them. Yet somehow that verse has been translated by so many people in my life that by merely being a Christian gives our good deeds merit in the sight of God, and somehow that makes our good deeds better than anyone else who isn't a Christian.

Well put it this way: if a kid in the street hands me $10, is that good or bad? It depends on the motive. If it's so I can go into a convenience store and buy him a pack of smokes, then it's bad. If it's because I'm a homeless guy and it's on that kid's heart to care for the poor so he gives me his pocket money, that's different.

Now say if you define the difference between right and wrong by God's law, which demands love for God and neighbour as yourself. According to James again, violation of one part of God's law involves breaking the whole thing, yeah? For example, if I go to church and sing songs about how much I love Jesus when I am in fact unrepenant about beating my Mrs at home, then there's something wrong with this picture. It works the other way around though: if I'm a humanist and reject the God of the Bible as not worth my time even if he existed, yet do "moral" stuff, perhaps in order to prove myself a good person, then I am rejecting God's standards of goodness in favour of my own, I'm not repenting, and I'm doing wickedness.

My main point to the post is this: I feel like the American church is getting the concept of good deeds WAY wrong, and that I've been getting them way wrong, and the only way to get it right is to leave religion out of outreach entirely.

Maybe it is, I'm not an American but in New Zealand our churches aren't in very good shape either, but I would encourage you not to leave "religion" per se but instead seek God in your Bible. Then you can show the church how it ought to be done.

Yeah, Pure Land Buddhism is another one that gets brought up.

God will have mercy on who he will have mercy, God can save whoever he will, this does not ultimately depend on mankind because otherwise it would not be grace, right?

But at the same time the Bible does say:

Acts 4:12

And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.

Romans 10:14

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

If God has some other work around or exception we don't know about, OK. But that's the thing: we don't know if he does and therefore cannot assume he does.

Jesus' death accomplished more than justification. It also accomplished regeneration. Here's a reference to this idea:

Romans 6:6

We know that our old selfa was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

In a nutshell:

• Mankind is a physical and spiritual creature.
  • Mankind is all initially born in a state of spiritual death: bad by nature.
  • Mankind subsequently commits sin and become guilty: bad by record.
  • Justification is a legal thing and deals to the bad record problem.
  • Regeneration (aka born-again) is a spiritual thing and deals to the bad nature.
  • God never saves a person without both of these things.
  • A justified and regenerated person still has indwelling sin.
  • This is why Christians have sin they are repenting of.

As for why God chose to accomplish all this via Christ, this is to do with an idea in the Bible theologians label "federal headship." When you see St Paul talking about things like Jesus being our head (or lord), that means he is like the head of a new line of people. A person is either on team Satan or team Jesus, and if you're in team Jesus he takes responsibility for your sin and you get the benefits of him as your lord.

As for why God chose it to be this specific way (why, why, why?), I can only come to the ultimate conclusion that's the way he chose it to be, it reflects the Trinity in some way I'm not entirely sure about, etc.

I'm confused. I don't want to belong to a faith that teaches it's got the answer to the only way to get to Heaven, because that means ALOT of people who lived ordinary, regular joe lives get to spend an eternity away from God simply because they don't believe in a mans 33 years of ministry, his 3 hours of dying, his 3 days of being dead, and then his Resurrection and ascension.

This is a one-sided view of mankind.

You need to see unsaved mankind as sinful by nature and guilty by deed, otherwise grace will simply not make sense.

So you say that we don't go to hell for not believing in Jesus, we go to hell for our sins. Alright, let's look at Joseph Stalin. Do I believe he warrants eternity in heaven? No. Apart from not believing in Jesus, he also lived an evil life. He killed more people than Hitler did, probably had a weird sex life, and is generally considered one of the most evil men of the 20th century. He lived 75 years.

Yes, because if you went and visited Stalin in hell, you would find that he was unrepentant with regards to love for God and neighbour as himself. (Unless God makes a person born-again in hell.) He might be sad that he's burning, but it's like the old problem of being sorry you got caught rather than being sorry out of love for the person you offended, in this case God.

Put simply, behind an unsaved person's sins is the heart. When the heart is bad, it's pointing in a direction other than God. It is against God. Sins point in eternal directions, do you know what I mean? I'm not talking about sins in a Christians life; St Paul explains how this is different in Romans 7; Christians have good hearts but sin that resides in something he calls the "flesh."

That's not Justice! If we are created in Gods image, we have a basic understanding of his concept of Justice, we understand what it is to be just and merciful because of God. A good judge in a courtroom isn't going to put a pot smoker on death row. That's not justice, and yet we expect a perfectly just God(from whom we get our understanding of Justice) to put every single non believer on the planet in eternal death row simply because they sinned?

Absolutely, because God is just that holy. He hates sin, will not stand for it, will not tolerate it, and give you hell for it.

Unless he executes punishment elsewhere: on Christ, on your behalf. That's grace.

There are so many holes in Christianity. It's an imperfect religion and because I'm imperfect my relationship with God will always be imperfect. I will always have these questions that cannot be answered.

Do you consider yourself a good person?

Do you consider yourself a good person relative to God's demands: love for God and neighbour as yourself?

A quick look at some of God's demands will expose your guilt.

For example, have you ever lied to someone, stolen from someone, used God's name in vain, lusted after someone (in an adulterous sense), etc? No one is innocent, except Jesus, and you don't measure up to him.

Now you can repent and trust in Christ's performance and death as punishment on your behalf... or you can pay yourself and end up in hell.

Either God pays your eternal debt or you will pay eternally. That's pretty much how it goes down.

Isn't it easier then to say I believe in God, I believe he loves me, I believe he wants me to take care of the world around me and do it rather than to put a label to it?

Maybe, but there is no love without truth.

Again I am so sorry this is so long. Like I said in my last post I'm angry that Christianity is what it's become, and I feel like we've missed something. Am I confused by my relationship with God, and how he relates in my life. Yes, yes I am, but I'm not angry at him. It's the weirdest feeling.

I hope God has mercy on you and helps you sort this thing out.

Upvote 0

Strider1002

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Regarding good deeds... Since I've invited God into my life, I've noticed that some things just feel... right. Not necessarily good or fun or easy, but still right. Like if I admit to making a stupid mistake; it doesn't feel good, but it feels right, because it's the truth. And when I do these things, I feel like I'm a square peg fitting into the square hole that was made for me. It's not so much pleasure or self-satisfaction, but a feeling of doing what you were made for... embracing your nature rather than resisting it. On the other hand, some things that are pleasurable or easy often leave me feeling empty, unfulfilled, even depressed.

Reactions: amandatea
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,157,563.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think the OP may be slightly overreacting, but I think you're finally getting over a bad introduction to Christianity and have really started to think about what it means to follow Christ.

There are plenty of other people who agree with you. I think being part of a Christian fellowship is important, so I hope you'll find a Christian community you can join. But your current reaction is understandable, and I don't think it puts you outside Christ's body.

Right. You'll find that when people start looking at what Jesus actually taught, and start trying to do what he said, they often get accused of salvation by works. The reason is clear: Jesus said we will be judged by what we do, and he spent much of his time trying to wake up lazy would-be followers. As long as you understand that you're not earning God's acceptance, and see what you're doing as a response to God, you'll be fine. It looks to me like you're doing that.

However, going by the parable of the talents, and 1st Corinthians 3:11-14 all seem to indicate that the good deeds we do will count towards rewards in heaven.Not Salvation, but rewards that you can save up. The servants who utilized the talents their masters gave them were given more at the end of the day, the man who builds with precious materials that withstand the day of judgement will be given a reward.

Yup. Jesus said that.

Yes, that's an obvious danger. Jesus seems to have tried to balance an emphasis on actually living as Christians with an equal emphasis that this life comes from a renewal of the heart and thus loving God and our neighbor.

The Catholic church thinks so. Liberal Protestants think so. Surveys suggest that even a majority of members of conservative churches think so.

What I don't like is any suggestion that there are gods other than the one God, and that somehow it's just fine to worship any of them. It's not that there are other gods that give grace. it's the Christ quite likely reaches people who may not recognize him as Christ.

It's called inclusivism. It's one of the major alternatives within the Christian church for how we think of non-Christians. It is *not* universalism. Classical inclusivism says that we are saved only because of what Christ did for us, but even non-Christians may benefit without fully understanding what's going on. But they still have to be responding to Christ in some way.

Not necessarily. But fellowship with other Christians is important. If avoiding the label of Christian causes you to avoid other Christians then I think it's a problem. As far as I can tell from your postings, your views are perfectly acceptable within Christianity. Just not the Christianity you grew up with.

I believe even CF rules accept inclusivism. It's universalism that can only be discussed in Unorthodox I believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

corinthan1995

Jun 17, 2012
✟15,120.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

Remember what JESUS taught and not man!
If a few fundamentalists have such outrageous and inhumane views they are simply not acting Christian themselves. God does not agree with these things they are saying. God taught love and forgiveness not death! God paid the price for our sins!

Just think about why we are here and the hope that what we want will be ours! :)

Through Gods Love
Bye :) Don't stop believing

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wait a minuet, we should all question our motives when we are doing a good deed because although it's a good deed, it can be for an evil reason.

For example, if you do good just because it makes you feel good then that's selfish. Good deeds should be done out of love (1 Corinthians 16:14). Either towards God or towards other people but ultimately it should be done because of your love for God and what He's done for you on the cross.

If you trace back the motive of your good deeds then you reveal the heart behind it. If that makes any sense :S

Yes,but I would think that what you pointed out would be a given. I guess I made the assumption that if someone was doing a good deed was because they were indeed trying to help someone else instead of making themselves feel good. Point taken.

Upvote 0

LizLove

Jun 21, 2012
Louisiana, U.S.A.
✟7,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We live in a world where we tortured and nailed a perfect man to the cross, leaving him there to die.

How silly it would be to look at the entire Christian community as a reflection of God. We are human, imperfect. Something tells me you know in your heart that this particular way of thinking shouldn't be done. We're such a broken world without Him and those people who are doing those awful things, do not know Jesus, and if they do they put their own will before His.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love being a follower of Christ (a Christian)

I don't care what others do or say because I follow Christ.

This sort of controversy has been around from day one so
why are we perplexed when those that say they follow Christ
are really following themselves or the devil.

There will always be weeds sown into the wheat.

God is patient and He knows when the harvest will be ready
for Him to reap so He is so loving and kind that He waits and
is not willing to tear out the weeds (those that deny Him as Lord)
inorder that the tender shoots of wheat (those that accept Him as Lord)
can grow and mature.

Don't say you don't want to be a Christian because some are liars
and deny the Lordship of the Christ that they say they serve but instead,
YOU follow Christ will all of your heart and do all that He desires
of YOU and love others as He loves YOU so that those who see
YOUR life will glorify God as they see Christ in YOU.

Last edited:
Upvote 0