Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am not going to argue with anybody or fight with anybody. So bear in mind that I am actually asking for advice, not to start an argument. The Bible tells me not to lean on my own understanding and so I am asking other Christians who may have a better understanding than me.

A lot of Christians tell me that it is wrong to obey God out of fear, which I just submitted my life to Christ out of fear. I guess that's because I don't understand God. I don't understand his love and I don't understand his kindness.

I will admit I enjoy sin. But I don't want to sin any more because I fear his wrath and his punishment. I just don't understand why God threatens us with hell if we continue to disobey him. I feel very rebellious when somebody tells me that it is wrong to obey God out of fear.

But I realize that I don't have the love of the father in me. When it comes to hell, I get extremely angry, but at the same time I accept it. I know that there's nothing we can do about it. I am not the judge. But I just hate the fact that people will go to hell. And they may even go to hell because they obeyed him out of fear and not out of love. And you know that maybe me. I have submitted my life to Christ today again for the billionth time. I really want to turn from my sin. I don't believe that I can continue to sin an end up in heaven. But I do have some besetting sins that I need to turn away from because I know that it will send me to hell. And to be perfectly honest the only reason why I submitted my life to Jesus is because I am sick and tired of going to bed scared that I could die and wake up in hell.

My question to you and to those who say that we have to obey him out of love and not fear, is did you start out loving God? What was your motivation for submitting your life to Jesus Christ?

Also, does God not accept fearful submission?

Edit: you know what? I am going to choose to submit anyways, even if it's out of fear. I know that there are Christians who believe it is wrong to submit to Jesus out of fear. And I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I can't wait until I have the right emotions. I'm sure as I seek Jesus he will begin to change my fear into love.

Last edited:
Reactions: harko

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The love God desires of us is a love decided by the power of our will, not an emotion and not a feeling --- CHOOSING to obey Him, as He says "Choose Today who you will serve" ....
Also willingness, as Jesus said over Jerusalem : I would have saved your children, drawn them to Me and Protected them, if only you were willing, but you were not willing.

The rest, really , is up to HIM to accomplish - once you willing choose to serve HIM, trust that He will Keep His Word > He will fulfill every Promise He made.
And He is Faithful to DO SO, no matter how many men are unfaithful, He is Faithful.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The love God desires of us is a love decided by the power of our will, not an emotion and not a feeling --- CHOOSING to obey Him, as He says "Choose Today who you will serve" ....
Also willingness, as Jesus said over Jerusalem : I would have saved your children, drawn them to Me and Protected them, if only you were willing, but you were not willing.

The rest, really , is up to HIM to accomplish - once you willing choose to serve HIM, trust that He will Keep His Word > He will fulfill every Promise He made.
And He is Faithful to DO SO, no matter how many men are unfaithful, He is Faithful.

Thank you

That was actually very useful.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am not going to argue with anybody or fight with anybody. So bear in mind that I am actually asking for advice, not to start an argument. The Bible tells me not to lean on my own understanding and so I am asking other Christians who may have a better understanding than me.

A lot of Christians tell me that it is wrong to obey God out of fear, which I just submitted my life to Christ out of fear. I guess that's because I don't understand God. I don't understand his love and I don't understand his kindness.

I will admit I enjoy sin. But I don't want to sin any more because I fear his wrath and his punishment. I just don't understand why God threatens us with hell if we continue to disobey him. I feel very rebellious when somebody tells me that it is wrong to obey God out of fear.

But I realize that I don't have the love of the father in me. When it comes to hell, I get extremely angry, but at the same time I accept it. I know that there's nothing we can do about it. I am not the judge. But I just hate the fact that people will go to hell. And they may even go to hell because they obeyed him out of fear and not out of love. And you know that maybe me. I have submitted my life to Christ today again for the billionth time. I really want to turn from my sin. I don't believe that I can continue to sin an end up in heaven. But I do have some besetting sins that I need to turn away from because I know that it will send me to hell. And to be perfectly honest the only reason why I submitted my life to Jesus is because I am sick and tired of going to bed scared that I could die and wake up in hell.

My question to you and to those who say that we have to obey him out of love and not fear, is did you start out loving God? What was your motivation for submitting your life to Jesus Christ?

It's very sad to me that trust is so hard to come by in Christianity these days. When you commit your life to Him just once He becomes responsible for it. We love Him because He first loves us. Your job is to be mindfull of His working within and in knowing His love you will love.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's very sad to me that trust is so hard to come by in Christianity these days. When you commit your life to Him just once He becomes responsible for it. We love Him because He first loves us. Your job is to be mindfull of His working within and in knowing His love you will love.

I know that you're right.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Psalm 19:9

The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether

When we initially come to God, the command we are obeying is this:

Mark 1:15

and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel

God is calling us to repentance. The gospel is a love letter to man, and it is called the good news. Yet, it is good news not in a small part because there is also bad news. The bad news is that without Christ we are headed for the lake of fire. This should indeed cause us to fear if we are without Christ. It would be foolish not to be afraid of God, knowing that He holds your eternity in His hands.

Now, on the other side of the cross, we still fear God, but not because we believe He is going to torment us:

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.

This isn't negating the fear of the Lord, because it tells us elsewhere that we should still fear the Lord. It is rather defining what the fear of the Lord is for a Christian. For a Christian, the fear of the Lord is not that He is going to throw us in hell anytime we screw up. It is rather an awe, a reverence, and a filial fear of God as our Father. Once we receive the Lord we are adopted into the family of God as His child. Since God is the perfect Father, that means as His children we can fully trust Him to get us to Heaven.

That doesn't mean you can do anything you want and still follow God. What it means is that there is all the love and help that you need, and much more than you could ever imagine, to get you there. It means there is a relationship where you begin to discover who God is, and how much He really loves you, and all of the wonderful and awesome things He has planned for you. It means that you will learn to follow Jesus Christ as your Lord and living Savior. The Holy Spirit will teach you how to do this.

It doesn't mean it is easy, or that it is all roses. Jesus promised us that we would have trouble in this world and suffer for His name. It also doesn't mean we can just walk away from God and expect to get there. We need to keep repenting as we mess up, and God will clean us up and stand us on our feet again. His mercy is always there if we will just come to Him.

You are right to fear God if Christ isn't in your life. If He is, you should fear Him as God, but tempered with the knowledge that He loves you and doesn't want to cast you out. He wants to mold you and turn you into a new person who can fully please Him and do all of His will. He is fully able to do this if you will just keep saying yes to Him.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 19:9

The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether

When we initially come to God, the command we are obeying is this:

Mark 1:15

and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel

God is calling us to repentance. The gospel is a love letter to man, and it is called the good news. Yet, it is good news not in a small part because there is also bad news. The bad news is that without Christ we are headed for the lake of fire. This should indeed cause us to fear if we are without Christ. It would be foolish not to be afraid of God, knowing that He holds your eternity in His hands.

Now, on the other side of the cross, we still fear God, but not because we believe He is going to torment us:

1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.

This isn't negating the fear of the Lord, because it tells us elsewhere that we should still fear the Lord. It is rather defining what the fear of the Lord is for a Christian. For a Christian, the fear of the Lord is not that He is going to throw us in hell anytime we screw up. It is rather an awe, a reverence, and a filial fear of God as our Father. Once we receive the Lord we are adopted into the family of God as His child. Since God is the perfect Father, that means as His children we can fully trust Him to get us to Heaven.

That doesn't mean you can do anything you want and still follow God. What it means is that there is all the love and help that you need, and much more than you could ever imagine, to get you there. It means there is a relationship where you begin to discover who God is, and how much He really loves you, and all of the wonderful and awesome things He has planned for you. It means that you will learn to follow Jesus Christ as your Lord and living Savior. The Holy Spirit will teach you how to do this.

It doesn't mean it is easy, or that it is all roses. Jesus promised us that we would have trouble in this world and suffer for His name. It also doesn't mean we can just walk away from God and expect to get there. We need to keep repenting as we mess up, and God will clean us up and stand us on our feet again. His mercy is always there if we will just come to Him.

You are right to fear God if Christ isn't in your life. If He is, you should fear Him as God, but tempered with the knowledge that He loves you and doesn't want to cast you out. He wants to mold you and turn you into a new person who can fully please Him and do all of His will. He is fully able to do this if you will just keep saying yes to Him.

Thank you:)

Upvote 0

Dan Brooks

Dec 3, 2017
Revloc PA
✟13,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Edit: you know what? I am going to choose to submit anyways, even if it's out of fear. I know that there are Christians who believe it is wrong to submit to Jesus out of fear. And I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I can't wait until I have the right emotions. I'm sure as I seek Jesus he will begin to change my fear into love.
Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
So Jesus Himself taught us to fear God. But in reading your post, I don't think that's the most pressing issue. It looks like to me that you are trying to earn your salvation by keeping from sin and being good enough for God.
You can't be good enough for God, even if you spent the rest of your life without committing another sin (which no one can do.)
This is why we need Jesus, because we aren't good enough, and never will be. Trust JESUS to save you. Don't try to save yourself, or keep your salvation by trying to not sin. That's trusting in yourself and not in Jesus.
Now I'm not in anyway saying that you shouldn't submit to Christ, or that you can just go sin and not worry about. I don't mean that. A Christian does and will want to obey God, and we don't like it when we sin against Him. But if you sin, you aren't going to lose your salvation. You can't lose your salvation because you aren't the one that keeps it. God is.
1 John 1:8-10
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 3:20

20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

God wants to save you because He loves you.
John 3:16
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

And how are we saved?

John 6:47
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Acts 16:29-31
29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Look at that one. Paul didn't say, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be baptized and stop sinning, etc. He said Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

And when you are saved, you can't lose it.

Philippians 1:6
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

John 6:37
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

John 10:28-29
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't see what's wrong in following God out of fear. Infact the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, right? I guess most of us starts out following God and submitting to Him out of fear. Then as our relationship with Him grows and we begin to realize what He did for us. All the times He saved us from falling (though we may stumble), all the times He saved our life from danger, death ...etc and most of all His unconditional love for us that led to His sufferings on the cross dying for us sinners, all that is reason enough for us to fall in love with Him. Who else is there but God to love us that way?

Fear of God is the first step in following after Him. My daughter knows a few students who are atheists. Some of them are rebellious. They want what they want no matter how sinful it is. You see they don't fear God. They despise Him because they have to follow His rules and ways which is in opposition with their sinful wants and living. Those who fear a Supreme Power will check the way they live. They live their lives very, very carefully. So don't worry. Love for God will follow. Just continue submitting to Him. Be armoured up and resist the devil. Memorize the Word. Read in Luke 4 how Jesus resisted temptation from the devil by using His Word. The complete Jewish Bible version says in Matthew 24 that the love of many will grow cold because of increased distance from the Torah(Bible). So study your Word everyone.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are
Several verses that say fear is the beginning of wisdom.

God does have some verses about fear the one who can not only take the body but banish the soul.

So it is not wrong that you have come to God out of fear and hopefully as you learn God’s promises and know that He gives His children good things and love that fear might slowly change to love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think its good to have some knowledge of God and who he is.. i think its also good to fear him a bit and not take things for granted...but if youre doing all the right things..you should need not worry about going to hell..

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think its good to have some knowledge of God and who he is.. i think its also good to fear him a bit and not take things for granted...but if youre doing all the right things..you should need not worry about going to hell..
This is good and right in line with all Scripture when understood and obedient to Yahweh, trusting fullly in Him (not in ourselves) to accomplish our salvation in every way, and willingly and joyously and fully obeying Him.

No worry, as we purify ourselves and follow Him,
yet see also , in His Word, the MANY warnings, as HE says more about judgment than He does about heaven, yes, much more.

For instance, we need to judge ourselves now, today, so we may not be judged later, after death.
This and much else He has to say about good and righteous judgment today.
(in order to avoid judgment and penalties later, as He Says in Scripture)

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

There be plenty of resources available over at biblegateway.com
on fearing God...more time praying, reading an studying the Bible
will reveal much more to you.
Strong's is available online, look up the hebrew word yirah and greek word phobos (fear).
*Notebook and pen, for taking notes and stuff.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There be plenty of resources available over at biblegateway.com
on fearing God...more time praying, reading an studying the Bible
will reveal much more to you.
Strong's is available online, look up the hebrew word yirah and greek word phobos (fear).
*Notebook and pen, for taking notes and stuff.

Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You obey God because you love him, not fear him. God doesnt play any games though and he hates us doing the wrong things..he is righteous and just....but he is still loving all those good things and cares for you etc..like i said having the knowledge of God is a good thing..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You obey God because you love him, not fear him. God doesnt play any games though and he hates us doing the wrong things..he is righteous and just....but he is still loving all those good things and cares for you etc..like i said having the knowledge of God is a good thing..

I know. Jesus did say that if you love me you will obey my Commandments. I just don't feel that love yet. Instead, I feel fear, and that is my main motivation. But I am sure my motivations will change as I seek God.

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know. Jesus did say that if you love me you will obey my Commandments. I just don't feel that love yet. Instead, I feel fear, and that is my main motivation. But I am sure my motivations will change as I seek God.
Right. As you grow in your relationship with God that fear will become less and love will become more.

Be patient with yourself.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Right. As you grow in your relationship with God that fear will become less and love will become more.

Be patient with yourself.

Thank you

And yes, you are right I need to be patient with myself. Thank you very much. :)

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

TheSeekerOfTruth

Mar 25, 2017
Ontario
✟54,066.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus from what i've noticed accepts us as we are, once we acknowledge him as the Son of God we become new creations. Fearing him is just a way of deeply respecting him because he's God, fearing the LORD is a healthy thing as long as it's done like i said deeply respecting who he is. He's not some scary monster in the sky trying to hurt you if you make a mistake, God knows you won't be perfect in your walk with his Son Jesus. He's willing to help you if you get stuck somewhere and he'll be close by to answer your questions if need be. The Holy Spirit/Ghost will renew our minds to become totally at peace once the Godhead comes into our hearts.

Fear is what discourages us the most as believers in Christ, God's perfect love casts out all fear from us to keep us moving forward. Fear is also a normal human emotion to feel, fear can actually be good too.

Upvote 0

Linktogunner

Nov 10, 2017
Kansas (Northeast)
✟12,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Love isn't always a feeling bro. Just pray those things to the Lord and ask him to grow you in your love for him and your understanding of his love for you. Rev up your RPMS. Read. Pray. Meet. Share/Serve. A car doesn't go anywhere unless you push the gas. Never give up.

Upvote 0