✟786,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Of course I'm not an atheist:)

But I do not feel God's presence ever, except in fleeting moments while praying and then it goes away. The world feels very empty - everything I look at feels empty and hollow and forlorn and dreary, it does not feel like God is around at all. The sky looks empty, nature looks empty, the dreary downtown looks empty, and I struggle with feeling that God is around, really caring about anything around me. Oddly enough, I feel and see the effects of Satan all the time - I feel bad forces out there trying to screw up the world - so why should I not be assured of the good force? Just need some encouragement right now. God doesn't feel with me. He's supposed to be.

Reactions: JESUS<3sYOU
B

Bosco_Guy

But I do not feel God's presence ever, except in fleeting moments while praying and then it goes away. The world feels very empty - everything I look at feels empty and hollow and forlorn and dreary, it does not feel like God is around at all. The sky looks empty, nature looks empty, the dreary downtown looks empty, and I struggle with feeling that God is around, really caring about anything around me. Oddly enough, I feel and see the effects of Satan all the time - I feel bad forces out there trying to screw up the world - so why should I not be assured of the good force? Just need some encouragement right now. God doesn't feel with me. He's supposed to be.

Peace and understanding to you sister in Christ.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Today's world is so uncertain. One thing we can be certain about is that the gates of hell shall not prosper over our Christ and His Church. Life is difficult some times. I know this for sure as an anxietal I suffer daily with keeping my emotions and fears in check. However, the more I offer my sufferings up to God the more I find peace. I don't know if you are Catholic or not but either way I would encourage you to go and spend time in front of the Eucharist. If you don't have an adoration chapel around go to the church and just sit in a pew in the main church. I am not asking you to say anything certain or anything at all for that matter. Just go and sit in the silence, and be assured that Christ will meet you there. Don't force anything just be open to God. In our busy lives there is so much noise that surrounds us. Obligations, families, jobs, television, radio, video games, and the list goes on. When we just sit in silence we open our minds and our hearts to God and to Christ and it is there that they will meet you.

I am praying for you sister and know that if you need to talk my PM box is always open!

Christ Have Mercy :liturgy:

Upvote 0

wondering1

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2009
✟50,803.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Lady Bug, I think all Christians experience this from time to time. In my life there have been times when I felt the Lord's presence so strongly for prolonged periods of time, and I think I expected it would always be that way. But then there have been times when I really couldn't feel Him. It has been in those times when I've had to learn to trust that He is still there, watching over me, not because of what I feel, but because of what He promised. He has promised that He will never leave nor forsake us. That's easy to believe when we can feel His presence. It's more difficult when we don't feel His presence. I think those are the times when God is asking us to trust Him - to take Him at His word, rather than to trust in our feelings. From what I've heard and read, Mother Teresa went through a lot of time when she didn't feel Christ's presence with her. Yet, she kept believing and serving Him regardless of what she did or didn't feel. I think there are times when all Christians are asked to do the same. Maybe those times are when our faith grows the most.

I will keep you in my prayers! :crossrc:

Upvote 0
C

Cardinal John H. Newman

Try a tridentine mass...

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Perhaps this prayer of St Ignatius of Loyola may help .

O Christ Jesus ,
when all is darkness
and we feel our weakness and helplessness ,
give us the sense of Your presence ,
Your love , and Your strength .
Help us to have perfect trust
in Your protecting love
and strengthening power ,
so that nothing may frighten or worry us ,
for , living close to You
we shall see Your hand ,
Your purpose , Your will through all things .

The prayer was given to me by a Cross and Passion sister when God seems far from me .
God bless you and never doubt his love for you no matter how you feel .

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

JeannieLee

Jul 2, 2010
✟7,640.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Lady Bug Sister!! I feel you, I am going through the same exact thing right now.. But I know it is a right now, not forever, thing.. I like what someone said about St. Teresa, who continued to serve God in her dark times.. I continue to serve God as well even in my dark time.. Many Saints have referred to this as the "Dark Night of the Soul".. And how much peace it gives me knowing a Saint has been through this too.. A time when you doubt yourself, doubt the Lord in you life, feel lost and alone, abandoned, forgotten.. The Saints give us hope!! Praise be to God!!

But most important, as many people have stated above, you need to feed your soul sister!! If you aren't a Catholic and don't feel comfortable going to the Catholic Church, you need to read the Bible or read a book that feeds you the food you are craving.. We all have different needs and different gifts.. I myself have the gift of Discernment, so my soul food is Bible, Church Fathers, TRUTH!!! If you have the gift of Charity like St. Teresa feed yourself by volunteering for the needy, or helping a friend.. I tend to learn better when I teach too, I get way more out of teaching than I do being taught!! lol Bad, sounds like I lack Wisdom!!

I always tell people in this state, that they need to have a healthy dose of the Religious Trinity, "Prayer, Bible, Sacraments." Prayer is our personal relationship with God, the Bible is Word of God, Jesus our Savior.. And through the Father and Son, we get the Sacraments, the Holy Spirit.. All very important, can't have one be successful without the other..

This is a beautiful poem indicating, though he was experiencing the night, he still delighted in knowing God.

St. John of the Cross, "Song of the Soul That Delights in Knowing God by Faith"[FONT=Georgia,Times New Roman,Times,serif]

Well I know the fountain that runs and flows,
though it is night!

This eternal fountain is hidden deep.
Well I know where it has its spring,
Though it is night!

In this life's dark night,
Faith has taught where this cold fountain lies,
Though it is night!

Its origin I cannot know, it has none,
And I know all origins come from it,
Though it is night!

And I know there can be nothing more fair,
The heavens and earth drink there,
Though it is night!

And I know it has no bed,
And I know no one can cross its depths,
Though it is night!

Its clarity is never clouded,
And I know all light shines from it,
Though it is night!

I know her streams swell so abundantly,
They water people, heaven and even hell,
Though it is night!

The current born of this fountain
I know to be wide and mighty,
Though it is night!

And from these two another stream flows,
And I know neither comes before,
Though it is night!

I know Three in only one water live,
And each the other feeds,
Though it is night!

This eternal fountain is hiding from sight
Within this living bread to give us life,
Though it is night!

He calls all creatures to this light,
And of this water they drink, though in the dark,
Though it is night!

This living fountain I desire,
I see it here within this living bread,
Though it is night!
[/FONT]
My little prayer for you!!!

May the Blessings of God be upon you,
May His Peace abide in you,
May His Presence Illuminate your heart,
Now and forever more, Amen..

God Bless You Sister, just keeping feeding your soul and seeking him, He will quench your thirst, but you must work up a sweat first!!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I feel the same way from time to time, then I look at creation. The sun, the green trees and grass, the birds, the animals, and yes; all the people, good and bad, yet made in God's image.

It is the wonder of His creation; God is indeed everywhere, and in everything.

Sola Gloria Deo!:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
St. John of the Cross describes this as the dark night. Faith is like being in darkness, climbing up a ladder. We have to reach out for the next rung with trust that it will be there. So it is with faith. God gives us little glimpses of light, but we must place our trust in him as we move up in the darkness toward him. Eventually the light will become brighter where we may have the spiritual marriage with him here on earth, or finally receive the beatific vision of him in heaven.

The only way through this is prayer, and detachment from desires to have anything other than what God gives us, even if its only darkness of faith.

God Bless
Jim

Upvote 0

Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Love is not emotion. Bear this cross patiently.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think its more about what you and I feel compared to God needing to do something to prove His presence to us. I'm not sure "how much more" you could expect from God besides sending His own Son to die on the cross as a sign of love (among other things).

I'm not judging you Sweetie--- I go through that type of feeling A LOT and the only way I get myself out of it is by personally realizing that God is around me and has His arms open wide.

A recommendation--- pray the Rosary with the specific purpose of feeling a connection to God. Imagine seeing the Mysteries through Mary's eyes and how you would feel, think, or do if you were standing right next to Jesus or Mary during those Mysteries. I get a really amazing feeling when I do that :) :hug:

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟786,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think its more about what you and I feel compared to God needing to do something to prove His presence to us. I'm not sure "how much more" you could expect from God besides sending His own Son to die on the cross as a sign of love (among other things).

I'm not judging you Sweetie--- I go through that type of feeling A LOT and the only way I get myself out of it is by personally realizing that God is around me and has His arms open wide.

A recommendation--- pray the Rosary with the specific purpose of feeling a connection to God. Imagine seeing the Mysteries through Mary's eyes and how you would feel, think, or do if you were standing right next to Jesus or Mary during those Mysteries. I get a really amazing feeling when I do that :) :hug:
it's not like I don't know He sent His own Son out of love for us. I know faith is not about feelings but it's like a total lack of feelings about these concepts - I'm sure I believe in the Incarnation and God's love for us and sending His Son but I must be blinded by something else that is inhibiting my joy of believing this, that's all:|

I prayed the entire rosary last night and it took me over an hour because I was tired but I felt it was necessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.