Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dragar said:
Well, you were the one who first brought up the notion of 'self'...
...What??? There is no such thing as Dragar 19 male UK?

Birthday:
9th November 1984 Blessings:
136 Country:
United Kingdom Current Activity:
surfing the web Occupation:
Student (Undergraduate, studying Physics with Theoretical Astrophysics) Origin of the Life View:
Atheistic Evolution

I guess that info/identity is a computer glitch. There is no identity if there is no self. I guess that info is irrelevant to a non-identity/self.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dragar said:
I take it you want to divert the discussion?
You diverted it when you claimed there is no self. I am proving that there is - & that there is continuity between selves, as a 13yo, 3billion y.o. & a Dragar 3 posts later.

Shall we agree that there is a continuity of self now?

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dragar said:
Kris, you need to always ask 'better to who?

My 'ideas of right and wrong' now are better than 13 year old Dragar's views - to this Dragar. I rather imagine 13 year old Dragar would have considered his views better than the views of this Dragar, now.
Am I speaking to this same dragar? LoL! another day. Gotta go!!!! ciao!

:doh: when did I sink to speaking to someone who refers to themselves in 3rd person?

Upvote 0

Dragar

Like the root of -1
Jan 27, 2004
✟14,331.00
Faith
Atheist
Man, Dragar, you are way too polite.

Probably.

I find it highly amusing that, despite saying "I think you were getting your butt kicked, thats why you sidestepped by proposing the discontinuity of self - comes in handy when losing a debate .. oops that was the old self that lost right?" all attempts to drag things back to the original topic were diverted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Western Deity

you know how it is
Feb 22, 2004
✟5,081.00
Faith
Seeker
Dragar said:
I find it highly amusing that, despite saying "I think you were getting your butt kicked, thats why you sidestepped by proposing the discontinuity of self - comes in handy when losing a debate .. oops that was the old self that lost right?" all attempts to drag things back to the original topic were diverted.

Somebody else in your shoes wouldn't be that nice about it :p.

Upvote 0

Sanguine

Neutiquam erro
Mar 27, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
✟16,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Dragar said:
Probably.

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel."
-- Homer Simpson

Upvote 0

MoodyBlue

Veteran
Jun 14, 2004
Virginia
✟17,934.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Zoot said:
Not in the sense most Christians mean, which is to say, I don't believe in objective right and objective wrong. I believe that people evaluate actions by various criteria, and that this evaluation is necessarily subjective.

In other words, I don't think that rape is just plain wrong. I think rape is wrong-to-people, and perhaps not all people. I don't think that murder is just plain wrong. I think murder is wrong-to-people, and perhaps not all people. (Both are wrong-to-me.)
I'm pretty liberal, but I don't know how you can define rape as anything other than "just plain wrong". And that ought to be the case for all people.

Upvote 0

Carico

Oct 12, 2003
Visit site
✟22,071.00
Faith
Christian
If morality is subjective, then of course, there is no wrong. Apparently people want to do whatever they want with no consequences . Well, sorry, there simply are consequences. No one is above reproach nor is anyone above God's laws. The more people try to be, the greater the punishment because they have ignored the warning signals to their own peril. Being under the delusion that we are are own gods has a heavy price because not only is it not the truth, but it is trying to defy the way the world is designed. "He who exalts himself will be humbled." Going against God's laws IS what causes the misery and suffering in the world!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YWGWYS

just her pet spider
Oct 15, 2004
erzhausen, niedersachsen, germany, europe
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
an7222 said:
If the universe has objective laws of physics, why there cannot be objective laws of morality?

because laws of physics merely describe and explain what happens, and moral laws would postulate, what ought to be done.
you are trapped by a word with two meanings.

Upvote 0

an7222

Rational morality is a must
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,497.00
Faith
Atheist
YWGWYS said:
because laws of physics merely describe and explain what happens, and moral laws would postulate, what ought to be done.
you are trapped by a word with two meanings.
But suppose you did nothing yet, but will choose between to different actions. You can study before acting what's the most moral thing to do.

Upvote 0

YWGWYS

just her pet spider
Oct 15, 2004
erzhausen, niedersachsen, germany, europe
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
an7222 said:
But suppose you did nothing yet, but will choose between to different actions. You can study before acting what's the most moral thing to do.
sorry, i can´t follow.
if you drop a stone, it will most likely fall down. not because some book or theory says it (in fact it´s the other way round), but because it has happened ever and ever again. we call that gravity, we can explain it, everybody experiences it; there are no counter-examples. hence we agree to call that a law.
now, what was your point about the similarities of laws of physics and moral laws?

Upvote 0

an7222

Rational morality is a must
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,497.00
Faith
Atheist
YWGWYS said:
sorry, i can´t follow.
if you drop a stone, it will most likely fall down. not because some book or theory says it (in fact it´s the other way round), but because it has happened ever and ever again. we call that gravity, we can explain it, everybody experiences it; there are no counter-examples. hence we agree to call that a law.
now, what was your point about the similarities of laws of physics and moral laws?
Just because we don't know the moral law, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist objectively. The physical laws always existed, but we discovered them recently.

Upvote 0