Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
About the politics, about the hierarchs, about the war in Ukraine. I pray that the war stops peacefully. I read that the some Elders and saints say that Ukraine shouldn’t be talking with the US? Or how if there isn’t a war it’ll be NWO? Or how if there is it’ll be people who want it to stay the same and the Antichrist? And it’s all with the lgbt+? I don’t understand…LGBTQIA are sinful, yes but I don’t think they should be murdered or bullied. Just like adultery or premarital sex etc but no one is talking about that?

I just don’t understand.

And I am not smart when it comes to these things. I don’t know who to trust in modern day. I just go backwards and trust the Saints not the living because everyone living is confusing. And it makes me so confused.

I’m just so tired of being confused. It makes it hard to not despair and give up.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
About the politics, about the hierarchs, about the war in Ukraine. I pray that the war stops peacefully. I read that the some Elders and saints say that Ukraine shouldn’t be talking with the US? Or how if there isn’t a war it’ll be NWO? Or how if there is it’ll be people who want it to stay the same and the Antichrist? And it’s all with the lgbt+? I don’t understand…LGBTQIA are sinful, yes but I don’t think they should be murdered or bullied. Just like adultery or premarital sex etc but no one is talking about that?
put not your trust in princes, in sons of men, in whom there is no salvation.

I just go backwards and trust the Saints not the living because everyone living is confusing.

I think you might be brilliant.
what he said.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

John 16:31-33

King James Version

31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?
32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
First and foremost: put not your trust in princes and sons of men in whom there is no salvation.

A lot of the resistance to Ukraine joining the EU is because membership in the EU includes a mandatory Gay Pride parade in member countries. Naturally for ethnic groups that are generally homophobic, like the Slavs, this isn't exactly an acceptable notion. The evils of homosexuality aside, the trap the many Orthodox run into (especially those Americans who've converted for political reasons since 2020) it that there is a difference between the passion and the sinner. The Church teaches that those who suffer from this temptation may be active in the Church provided that they lives what we'd call a celibate life (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, Fr). A lot of why we in the West have the laws that give protections to those groups is precisely because of the Matthew Shepherds out there both known and unknown.

Now, it is very easy for these elders and monastics from faraway supposedly Orthodox nations to criticize us and our culture; it isn't without merit. However, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks and more importantly as our Lord said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I've said it before in another thread around here (or was it Reddit?) and I'll say it again: traditionally Orthodox countries are not Orthodox Utopias nor are they Orthodox Shangri-Las. They have their crazy hypocrites just like we do with the Evangelicals. They have their Religious Right that tries to impose their flawed, pharisitical interpretation of life on everyone just like we do here. Russia is the abortion capital of the world and while their legal system may not be friendly to the LGBT whatever, or even outright hostile, at least here in the USA we generally don't make martyrs out of gays and lesbians like they do in Russia.

Remember MASH? I like the scene in one episode where they're in surgery and the chaplain says "war is hell". Hawkeye disagrees saying that war is worse because since sinners go to hell, it is ultimately the destination of those who deserve it. However, in war many people who don't deserve it suffer like innocent women and children. Hawkeye ends it by saying that "with the exception of some of the top brass, everyone in war is an innocent bystander". The best we can do, including those who suffer from LGBT temptations, is turn our life to Christ and work on our own salvation.
I quit listening to various elders from foreign countries years ago when they comment on the USA. They've never been here, how can they know what we deal with? Our day-to-day struggles are different from theirs. If life is so bad and evil here, why are the Ukrainian refugees and Russian defectors trying to come here and not some other so-called Orthodox country? Why not go to Romania? or Bulgaria? or Belarus? Greece? Cyprus? North Macedonia? Syria? Instead, they come here: they very land that takes in anyone including those that insult, belittle, and berate her.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Church teaches that those who suffer from this temptation may be active in the Church provided that they lives what we'd call a celibate life (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, Fr).
or marry someone of the opposite sex as a means to crucify same-sex lust.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Indeed we have had a number of posters state such things on this forum. The thing I do wonder about, why did they not do anything concrete about it. Why did Dorothea not send his sons to the aid of God's side in the battle against the satanistic nazis? Why is gurneyhallack not enrolling for the war efforts against the globohomo, which he said is the greatest contemporary threat against humankind? Why is pogromos still sitting in his basement in Australia? Mind you there is no hard age cap, neither is prior combat experience required. Their assistance in the taking of Bakhmut for example would have been greatly appreciated, with the additional upside of guaranteed salvation, personally assured by none other than His Holiness Kirill, the leader of the last remaining true Hierarchs of the Church. In such grave matters, surely personal factors cannot be considered a hinderance to parcitipation in the Cosmic Battle between Good and Evil...
Do you like to make stuff about what people believe that often?

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
First and foremost: put not your trust in princes and sons of men in whom there is no salvation.

A lot of the resistance to Ukraine joining the EU is because membership in the EU includes a mandatory Gay Pride parade in member countries. Naturally for ethnic groups that are generally homophobic, like the Slavs, this isn't exactly an acceptable notion. The evils of homosexuality aside, the trap the many Orthodox run into (especially those Americans who've converted for political reasons since 2020) it that there is a difference between the passion and the sinner. The Church teaches that those who suffer from this temptation may be active in the Church provided that they lives what we'd call a celibate life (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, Fr). A lot of why we in the West have the laws that give protections to those groups is precisely because of the Matthew Shepherds out there both known and unknown.

Now, it is very easy for these elders and monastics from faraway supposedly Orthodox nations to criticize us and our culture; it isn't without merit. However, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks and more importantly as our Lord said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". I've said it before in another thread around here (or was it Reddit?) and I'll say it again: traditionally Orthodox countries are not Orthodox Utopias nor are they Orthodox Shangri-Las. They have their crazy hypocrites just like we do with the Evangelicals. They have their Religious Right that tries to impose their flawed, pharisitical interpretation of life on everyone just like we do here. Russia is the abortion capital of the world and while their legal system may not be friendly to the LGBT whatever, or even outright hostile, at least here in the USA we generally don't make martyrs out of gays and lesbians like they do in Russia.

Remember MASH? I like the scene in one episode where they're in surgery and the chaplain says "war is hell". Hawkeye disagrees saying that war is worse because since sinners go to hell, it is ultimately the destination of those who deserve it. However, in war many people who don't deserve it suffer like innocent women and children. Hawkeye ends it by saying that "with the exception of some of the top brass, everyone in war is an innocent bystander". The best we can do, including those who suffer from LGBT temptations, is turn our life to Christ and work on our own salvation.
I quit listening to various elders from foreign countries years ago when they comment on the USA. They've never been here, how can they know what we deal with? Our day-to-day struggles are different from theirs. If life is so bad and evil here, why are the Ukrainian refugees and Russian defectors trying to come here and not some other so-called Orthodox country? Why not go to Romania? or Bulgaria? or Belarus? Greece? Cyprus? North Macedonia? Syria? Instead, they come here: they very land that takes in anyone including those that insult, belittle, and berate her.
Hi!
Let me say, first of all, that i think you are quite right about “Orthodox” countries having their own problems. As one who has fled such a country, I’m quite aware of it. I agree with your “MASH” thought as well.

Now twenty years ago, I would have agreed with you on people fleeing to the US. There is STILL some truth in it, though less so than before, as we slowly become like all other nations and lose the qualities that mades us exceptional. And violence against people for their sexual sins is as bad as violence for any other, and worthy of condemnation. But the situation has changed, Matthew Shepherd is no longer relevant, leaving out everything in the case that WASN’T about sexuality; like Harvey Milk, it is a bugbear to pretend that a particular threat is a clear and present danger when it is decisively no longer the case. The truth is now entirely the other way, and it is those who defend marriage and the family, who refuse to bend the knee to the sexual anarchists who are now the true Matthew Shepherds of our time. This has created a small, but definite counter-current of people fleeing the US for “Orthodox countries”, wisely or not, that would have been UNTHINKABLE a quarter century ago. I know some of these people personally. Hopefully, I don’t need to belabor the fact of punishment of Americans for refusing to promote the alphabet soup, such as Aaron and Melissa Klein, Jack Phelps, Kim Davis, and others, outrageously punished for standing up for what is right.

We have people active in the Church who believe that homosexual relations ought to be normalized and blessed in the Church, such as Inga Leonova of “the Wheel”, who Steve Robinson cheerfully tolerates on his FB page. This doesn’t stop at the celibate life all are called to who can or will not engage in Christian marriage: Met Kallistos Ware also expressed thoughts of the sort. What would you say to them? Would you really rebuke them once you realize that they actively challenge Church teaching in the name of what they perceive to be compassion and human rights?

And one more honest question. Can you say with certainty when you first used the term “homophobic”? I would bet a thousand dollars that ten years ago the term had never escaped your lips. Who do you suppose came up with the term, when, and why? The word is a manifest lie, invented the day before yesterday, meant to suggest that, in condemning same-sex sexual relations, we somehow hold an unreasoning fear (and by extension, hate) of those that commit that sin. The word is a slur, and a lying slur at that, and I take it as a personal affront, though I am sure you don’t intend it. Perhaps YOU mean a very small number of people that do fear and hate the same-sex attracted, and actually go around with baseball bats to beat them to death, though that tiny number is irrelevant on any serious scale, but that is NOT what the word is actually used for, but to condemn US for saying that their desire is a passion to be struggled against and repented of. No Orthodox person should use the word.

I’d be interested in what you have to say. My goal is not to browbeat, but to convince you and gain my brother.

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
because everyone living is confusing
That's why we must rely on God's Word as our rule and guide - our Spirit level, if you will. God Bless. I pray for your clarity of mind and of assurance of the Rule of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The word is a manifest lie, invented the day before yesterday, meant to suggest that, in condemning same-sex sexual relations, we somehow hold an unreasoning fear (and by extension, hate) of those that commit that sin.
yep, which is probably why it’s grouped with being racist and sexist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just like adultery or premarital sex etc but no one is talking about that?

This. The only reason the more egregious sexual anarchy became possible is because we ever tolerated no-fault divorce, serial remarriage, and of course, cohabitation, a euphemism for fornication.

A return to sanity, at least in the Church, requires that we understand that what we choose to do IS the business of our brethren, and that we hold that at least we, in the Church, need to return to seeing marriage as sacred.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This. The only reason the more egregious sexual anarchy became possible is because we ever tolerated no-fault divorce, serial remarriage, and of course, cohabitation, a euphemism for fornication.

A return to sanity, at least in the Church, requires that we understand that what we choose to do IS the business of our brethren, and that we hold that at least we, in the Church, need to return to seeing marriage as sacred.
I just don’t want to be a hypocrite. Some homosexuals have been hurt by the church (in the US it’s mostly Protestant) and/or have been traumatized sexually in some way. Lots of women for example who are lesbians are literally afraid of men after they are somehow sexually assaulted. This is *not* an excuse for the sin, however it’s like a child who has been beaten by their father…of course the child will lie because they are just *that* afraid of their father. I just feel like some Christians have no compassion for homosexuals. They’re still human. No, I don’t think we should celebrate it. Just as I don’t celebrate Ramadan (because I’m not Muslim) or Hanukkah (bc I’m not Jewish) or when someone gets divorced, the list goes on and on. But how can we have compassion for the adulator (by hearing his/her reasons for falling into that sin) and while disagreeing with it, hold no judgment against them and still viewing them as human…or saying the woman needs to be virginal until marriage but men get a free pass? Or both man and woman get a free pass? That makes us hypocrites in the eyes of nonbelievers (ESPECIALLY the adultery part). Also, we can’t hold nonbelievers to the same standard as believers. I think there’s a quote in the Bible about that (I think it’s 1 Corinthians 5:12).

Point is, we shouldn’t celebrate it. But we also should view these people as human and know that they are nonbelievers and rubbing their nose in their sin like a bad dog’s nose in their accident is only going to make them resent us.
*Yes*, I know that there will be some that hate us because they hate our master BUT there are some that are defensive when speaking to Christians because Prots will speak to them like the Westboro Baptist Church.

If that makes sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thekla

Jul 11, 2017
northeast
✟18,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

There are numerous feeders into any problem - no fault divorce was a response to a problem (women in truly dire situations were required to provide evidence in order to flee a dangerous or a deeply dysfunctional relationship). Backlash against content empty rigidity and failing trust in institutions, but also the normalization of previously cloaked behavior often justified by entitlement. How we present our concern over these issues affects how much impact we have, and that can be a difficult road.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe God respects all people who live, either by faith or nature ( as best they can) according to His expectations of us ( Ezekiel 18:4-9 etc.). Minus God, some still live by God’s commandments ( Matthew 19:16-19). St. Paul preaches this in Romans 2:1-29.

The window on this is closing though and fewer without salvation by grace will be redeemed.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi!
Let me say, first of all, that i think you are quite right about “Orthodox” countries having their own problems. As one who has fled such a country, I’m quite aware of it. I agree with your “MASH” thought as well.

Now twenty years ago, I would have agreed with you on people fleeing to the US. There is STILL some truth in it, though less so than before, as we slowly become like all other nations and lose the qualities that mades us exceptional. And violence against people for their sexual sins is as bad as violence for any other, and worthy of condemnation. But the situation has changed, Matthew Shepherd is no longer relevant, leaving out everything in the case that WASN’T about sexuality; like Harvey Milk, it is a bugbear to pretend that a particular threat is a clear and present danger when it is decisively no longer the case. The truth is now entirely the other way, and it is those who defend marriage and the family, who refuse to bend the knee to the sexual anarchists who are now the true Matthew Shepherds of our time. This has created a small, but definite counter-current of people fleeing the US for “Orthodox countries”, wisely or not, that would have been UNTHINKABLE a quarter century ago. I know some of these people personally. Hopefully, I don’t need to belabor the fact of punishment of Americans for refusing to promote the alphabet soup, such as Aaron and Melissa Klein, Jack Phelps, Kim Davis, and others, outrageously punished for standing up for what is right.

We have people active in the Church who believe that homosexual relations ought to be normalized and blessed in the Church, such as Inga Leonova of “the Wheel”, who Steve Robinson cheerfully tolerates on his FB page. This doesn’t stop at the celibate life all are called to who can or will not engage in Christian marriage: Met Kallistos Ware also expressed thoughts of the sort. What would you say to them? Would you really rebuke them once you realize that they actively challenge Church teaching in the name of what they perceive to be compassion and human rights?

And one more honest question. Can you say with certainty when you first used the term “homophobic”? I would bet a thousand dollars that ten years ago the term had never escaped your lips. Who do you suppose came up with the term, when, and why? The word is a manifest lie, invented the day before yesterday, meant to suggest that, in condemning same-sex sexual relations, we somehow hold an unreasoning fear (and by extension, hate) of those that commit that sin. The word is a slur, and a lying slur at that, and I take it as a personal affront, though I am sure you don’t intend it. Perhaps YOU mean a very small number of people that do fear and hate the same-sex attracted, and actually go around with baseball bats to beat them to death, though that tiny number is irrelevant on any serious scale, but that is NOT what the word is actually used for, but to condemn US for saying that their desire is a passion to be struggled against and repented of. No Orthodox person should use the word.

I’d be interested in what you have to say. My goal is not to browbeat, but to convince you and gain my brother.
Howdy rus! I always appreciate your replies because they are well thought out and articulate. I'm also glad you got the MASH reference, perhaps if we had more quality shows like that we could counteract the dumbing down of America via pop culture, but that's for another day.

I think you may misunderstand. No, I don't support the LGBT whatever acronym they're going by these days. Like our fellow poster SamanthaAnastasia, I too believe that we shouldn't go out and start beating or killing people simply because they are under the delusion they are gay. Like I said in my earlier post, they are still people created in the image of God; living, breathing human beings. The first time I used the word homophobic was actually in the early 2000s when I was in Catholic school because there was a group of kids in my 6th grade class who's desire in life was to go out and kill the gays. That's an extreme form of homophobia. I had two issues with their plan 1) that went against the very basic Christian teaching of "thou shalt not kill" and also went against what we were taught about everyone being made in the image of God and 2) This was the year of 9/11 and killing people out of hate and extremism didn't make us any better than those 19 Arabs who had brought down the Twin Towers mere months before. I encountered more extreme homophobes like them after we had moved to a more rural part of the state where, again, there were idiot kids who called themselves Christians, but wanted to kill gays and sexually assault lesbians thinking that that would "make them straight again". No. As flawed as the gay community may be, human sexuality simply doesn't work that way. Such actions actually have the opposite effect. My father was a federal investigator for thirty years and retired in the early 2010s. Based on the training that they had, it was estimated that roughly 30% of all Black American males were themselves victims of male-on-male sexual assault which more than likely part of why there is a disproportionately high gay population within that community. That number has likely gone up since the early 2000s. The point there, is that there have been societal causes that have led to the increase of their numbers and it isn't things like no-fault divorce, serial marriage, and cohabitation. It is much simpler than that: sin.

Those may be extreme cases, yes, but it is the reality. Thank God it is a very small minority of the overall 320million+ people living in the USA, but it is still there. And they call themselves Christians. And that gives us a bad name and bad reputation to the point that some of the gay community feel it gives them license to harass us and vandalize our churches. Perhaps that is a form of persecution that we may have to endure, who knows, but considering we have done nothing to correct the extremists in our own communities we really shouldn't be surprised that that's the effect. Hatred in any way, shape, or form is not Christian. It isn't Orthodox. It isn't who we are and it isn't who we are called to be. We are not called to be murderers. Gay Pride parades? I wish they would end. Pride month? I wish it wasn't a thing especially since Black History Month gets sidelined and that community suffered a lot more for a lot longer. Gay marriage? I voted against it. Gay clergy? Sadly, there are some out there and frankly they should be defrocked. Celebrating accomplishments by those who are/were gay just for the sake of their gayness? I'm against it. Calling those people slurs? Also against it. Hate someone because they struggle with it? Against it. Should we call them to the Church which is the hospital of the soul so they could repent? I'm all for it. But, I have to draw the line at violence. That isn't who we are and it isn't what Christ died on the cross for us to do.

Does that community overuse the word homophobe to describe us? Certainly. Do they overuse it to describe anyone that doesn't support their so-called lifestyle 100%? Certainly. They are misguided and don't always know what they are doing. But I don't think that their overuse of it is reason enough for us to never say it. Homophobia is a type of hatred, and hatred is un-Christian, and I will call it out when I see it just like other forms of hatred like racism, sexism, misogyny, xenophobia, even Islamophobia, etc. But again, I refuse to not use that word simply because they overuse it because not using it allows them to win. It gives in to them and says they can dictate what we say. If we give them that, what's next, they rewrite the Diving Liturgy? God gave us free will and I refuse to allow them to tell me what I can and can not say or should or should not say. My Irish ancestry is too stubborn for that ;)

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Howdy rus! I always appreciate your replies because they are well thought out and articulate. I'm also glad you got the MASH reference, perhaps if we had more quality shows like that we could counteract the dumbing down of America via pop culture, but that's for another day.

I think you may misunderstand. No, I don't support the LGBT whatever acronym they're going by these days. Like our fellow poster SamanthaAnastasia, I too believe that we shouldn't go out and start beating or killing people simply because they are under the delusion they are gay. Like I said in my earlier post, they are still people created in the image of God; living, breathing human beings. The first time I used the word homophobic was actually in the early 2000s when I was in Catholic school because there was a group of kids in my 6th grade class who's desire in life was to go out and kill the gays. That's an extreme form of homophobia. I had two issues with their plan 1) that went against the very basic Christian teaching of "thou shalt not kill" and also went against what we were taught about everyone being made in the image of God and 2) This was the year of 9/11 and killing people out of hate and extremism didn't make us any better than those 19 Arabs who had brought down the Twin Towers mere months before. I encountered more extreme homophobes like them after we had moved to a more rural part of the state where, again, there were idiot kids who called themselves Christians, but wanted to kill gays and sexually assault lesbians thinking that that would "make them straight again". No. As flawed as the gay community may be, human sexuality simply doesn't work that way. Such actions actually have the opposite effect. My father was a federal investigator for thirty years and retired in the early 2010s. Based on the training that they had, it was estimated that roughly 30% of all Black American males were themselves victims of male-on-male sexual assault which more than likely part of why there is a disproportionately high gay population within that community. That number has likely gone up since the early 2000s. The point there, is that there have been societal causes that have led to the increase of their numbers and it isn't things like no-fault divorce, serial marriage, and cohabitation. It is much simpler than that: sin.

Those may be extreme cases, yes, but it is the reality. Thank God it is a very small minority of the overall 320million+ people living in the USA, but it is still there. And they call themselves Christians. And that gives us a bad name and bad reputation to the point that some of the gay community feel it gives them license to harass us and vandalize our churches. Perhaps that is a form of persecution that we may have to endure, who knows, but considering we have done nothing to correct the extremists in our own communities we really shouldn't be surprised that that's the effect. Hatred in any way, shape, or form is not Christian. It isn't Orthodox. It isn't who we are and it isn't who we are called to be. We are not called to be murderers. Gay Pride parades? I wish they would end. Pride month? I wish it wasn't a thing especially since Black History Month gets sidelined and that community suffered a lot more for a lot longer. Gay marriage? I voted against it. Gay clergy? Sadly, there are some out there and frankly they should be defrocked. Celebrating accomplishments by those who are/were gay just for the sake of their gayness? I'm against it. Calling those people slurs? Also against it. Hate someone because they struggle with it? Against it. Should we call them to the Church which is the hospital of the soul so they could repent? I'm all for it. But, I have to draw the line at violence. That isn't who we are and it isn't what Christ died on the cross for us to do.

Does that community overuse the word homophobe to describe us? Certainly. Do they overuse it to describe anyone that doesn't support their so-called lifestyle 100%? Certainly. They are misguided and don't always know what they are doing. But I don't think that their overuse of it is reason enough for us to never say it. Homophobia is a type of hatred, and hatred is un-Christian, and I will call it out when I see it just like other forms of hatred like racism, sexism, misogyny, xenophobia, even Islamophobia, etc. But again, I refuse to not use that word simply because they overuse it because not using it allows them to win. It gives in to them and says they can dictate what we say. If we give them that, what's next, they rewrite the Diving Liturgy? God gave us free will and I refuse to allow them to tell me what I can and can not say or should or should not say. My Irish ancestry is too stubborn for that ;)
Hello again!
I have theoretically been on vacation starting at the beginning of the month; a long-needed vacation. But the demands of reality have prevented it from really being a vacation; even up to today, when I had to worry about getting airline tickets to bring my wife and daughter back to me, robbing Peter to pay Paul and still having to wait for someone with money on their account to actually buy the tickets and handing them the cash. There has been some form of stress and demands every day. I say all that to explain why it takes me so long to respond to any post that I feel is going to require any serious mental energy. The deeper I feel I will have to go, the more I procrastinate, and this school year truly wiped me out.

It’s a little harder talking to you because you are using the language of the world, of extremely recent invention, and founded thoroughly in falsehood. The devil uses fallen language and teaches people to use it to lie, and those who receive and repeat it to naively believe that it doesn’t matter, and they mouth empty catchphrases like “language evolves” to avoid thinking about the matter. All language is fallen, of course, but when I say the language of the world, I mean the kind of terms the devil WANTS us to use. So I honestly think you fall into serious error by repeating these words invented the day before yesterday, and I would hope by now that I don’t have to play the language expert card, but it is true that I know more than the rest of you about language in the same way that a mechanic knows more about how cars work than the ordinary drivers. That’s not meant to sound prideful. I would instantly grant Fr Matt superior knowledge of theology, for instance. He’s spent a lot more time in it than I have, and done so professionally.

I asked you about the term “homophobe” for a reason. Now I grant you are telling the truth, but that essentially makes you the inventer of the term. It didn’t exist in public parlance until about ten years ago, so if you were using it before then, you either coined it, or picked it up from intellectual snobs and the very people who wanted to expand deceit. And that’s NOT meant to be a personal slight against you, but it is a fact that we do tend to repeat terms without thinking much about them. To this day, the OED lists it only in an older sense of “fear of humans” (@ 1908), it’s not even listed in the sense you use it in. You will only find it in the freshest dictionaries published in the last few years. The word, like “gay”, was always intended to be abused, and what little legitimacy it might have claimed from the tiny, tiny, percentage of the population that actually seeks to go out and hurt and kill these people, has already been thoroughly eclipsed by that intended deceit. There’s a reason why Jusse Smollett had to engage in fraud, and his deceit shamefully denigrated real suffering by blacks under Jim Crow. It is hard to find people that really want to maim or kill sodomites. Oh, you can, of course - one out of a million will actually be that psychopathic. But it is so far from being the rule in our society that it would be laughable if it wasn’t so destructive to truth. And that goes for all of the new “phobias” and “mis-s”. Only one man out of a million truly truly hates all women, only one man out of a million truly wants to murder people with that perverted sexual passion, and people who think Islam a major threat to Western civilization do not suffer from a “phobia”. The phobia logically means that the person falls into a quivering mass and falls on the floor or runs away at the site of the person they are supposed to irrationally fear. But I’ve never seen that once in my life. Again, any legitimate use that would attempt to describe this tiny minority of madmen is completely eclipsed by the deliberate use to attack and destroy truth. That’s why I can’t take your thoughts seriously when you use those words after I’ve explained all that to you. It means a commitment to that false language over and above truth. I’ll make a concession and grant it’s used for that tiny insane minority, but that is highly irrelevant, and essentially doesn’t exist in the Orthodox Church and if you really show it to me and I agree that’s what it is, then we will all unite to drive it out. We don’t hate women, we don’t hate Muslims, we are not unreasonable to think Islam as a religion to be a real threat, and we don’t call for attacks on people who suffer from passions, even those with attempt to affirm them as good things, so I think it is specious to claim otherwise. It’s not relevant to the discussion on how we should see, speak, and understand these things in the Church. But the wrong words do falsify understandings. No one is “gay” because we really don’t think people are their passions, but that the passions are things that we can struggle against and reject. That’s why it is wrong to use that language, which openly implies and assumes that that is their ontological identity. We have to look how the fathers and saints spoke about these things, and even in translation, we don’t find this Newspeak anywhere. The sin of Sodom was long held to be better left unnamed and unspoken, and only in our age was a legitimate term invented: “same-sex attraction” (about 25-30 years ago, I believe; much of the false language appeared over my lifetime).

So you have everything backwards in thinking that not saying it “lets them win”. My dear E.C., they are thrilled when you say it, every time you say it, even when you refer to the tiny number of psychopaths. After all, the psychopaths also serve the devil, and help create the image of these people, who are NOT a special and separate class of people, but sinners just like us, only suffering from different passions, as a persecuted class. They win both ways when you use the language, which they invented and wanted spread to cover both cases.The Divine Liturgy comes from the Church. This language comes from the devil.

I suppose I have an advantage in that I remember a time when nobody talked like that. I KNOW that the language was changed, deliberately, and through centrally controlled media and education. Changes began even before my lifetime, terms like “dating”, “boyfriend”, “have sex”, and “sleep with sb” having already been invented in this long and well-planned out attack on the sanctity of the family. To the extent to which we can learn that language really was created to change how we think about things, and to subvert our thinking from traditional Christian thought, we ought to stop saying the words that we learn really do communicate falsehood. We may not be able to do it perfectly but by golly, we ought to do our best. (Irony is not lost in the use of that last interjection)

Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I just don’t understand.

And I am not smart when it comes to these things. I don’t know who to trust in modern day. I just go backwards and trust the Saints not the living because everyone living is confusing. And it makes me so confused.

I’m just so tired of being confused. It makes it hard to not despair and give up.
Hello. I am from Ukraine and I want to thank you for your prayers for the end of the war.

I will tell about Ukraine and Russia inside. Regarding the Orthodox faith, each of these countries has its advantages and disadvantages. To be objective, I will even say about the advantages of Russia. The main advantage is the largest number of published books on Orthodox Christianity in the history of the world, in particular the writings of the holy fathers. It is also the largest Orthodox Internet content in the world. The level of higher church education there is higher than here. But all this does not automatically make the country Orthodox. According to statistics, more than 70% of residents in Russia and Ukraine are baptized into the Orthodox faith. But in both of our countries, between 2 and 5% (depending on the city) actually go to church on major holidays. If 10% came, the churches would not be able to accommodate and people would block the roads in the streets. Of these 2-5%, only 1-0.5% regularly go to church every Sunday (as prescribed by Orthodox canons). Some of baptized are interested in magic, some live in mortal sins, and many do not know the Orthodox faith (cannot explain the dogmas of the creed, do not know and violate the rules of the Ecumenical Councils that apply to the laity, do not understand what is read and sung at services, read little Bible and holy fathers). That is, you can come to an Orthodox country and not meet a single Orthodox person in an apartment building or at work. It is not customary to talk in the church, but those catechisters who conducted conversations before baptism say that there are many who are baptized in the orthodox faith, but do not know their faith and do not live according to it. Plus there are splits. In Russia, many Orthodox are now involved in politics, and in Ukraine there is a struggle for churches between two denominations (the ancient canonical UOC and the newly created OCU). Therefore, they are not busy studying the faith and working on themselves to become good Christians. Now the goal is to survive this war and save at least most of the temples from the captureing of the OCU.

As for LGBT people, Ukrainians have no sympathy for them either. In the Bible it is written: "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be deceived. Neither sexually-immoral ones, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals... the kingdom of heaven will not will inherit".

In the Constitution of Ukraine from 1996 until today, there are words that marriage is a voluntary union of a man and a woman. Конституція України
But the Ukrainians were driven into a dead end. When the Russians have an advantage in weapons, they mercilessly kill our people, lying that we are all Nazis, drug addicts and homosexuals (so says their propaganda). On the other hand, the West provides aid only in exchange for certain concessions, as I understood.

If we were strong and rich like Japan, we would also strongly reject LGBT pressure. But our people die en masse in the war from a stronger enemy. And the help of the West seems to be in exchange for concessions: If you want the Russians not to kill you, follow EU laws. Don't think I approve of LGBT concessions. But the majority of the population in both Russia and Ukraine is not a believer in Jesus Christ. No one wants to be killed, maimed, raped or robbed. Therefore, Russia is now helping LGBT people in this way.

We see how ordinary Russian soldiers do not want to fight now. And we don't want Ukrainians or Russians to die. Of course, the best option for Ukraine and Russia is for Russia to independently withdraw at least to the borders on February 23, 2022.

Last edited:
Upvote 0