Windsor
✟7,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has been heavily weighing on my heart since I found out. My father is a very strong Christian man and has always been completely against anything that would cause intoxication, definitely including weed. I went to go look in his cabinet for a knee brace for my brother, and found a dab pen with a THC pod like thing. My brother saw it as well, and is very upset about it, as he’s overcome struggles with marijuana in the past. I want to talk about it, but I don’t know how to bring it up. I don’t know if I really want to disturb the peace but it’s just going to cause more resentment from my brother. If you have any sort of advice, please help brothers and sisters

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Firstly, since I see that you are new here, welcome to Christian Forums. I hope you will find your time here helpful in your journey.

I do not know your or your family (obviously), so I don't feel it's my place to say what you or anyone should do, but I will tell you what my priest told me when I brought up some similar behavior that was bothering me involving my father (who has since passed, so for better or for worse I cannot talk to him about his actions anymore): The scriptures tell us to honor our father and mother, not to agree with everything they do. So even if they are not doing what they should be doing, we should still give them honor, in the sense of being respectful and not talking down to them. However, the scriptures also tell us that the message of Christ will bring division between family members ("think not that I have come to bring peace, but a sword; for I have come to set a man against his father" -- Matthew 10:34-35). So if we put these two things together we know we must both be respectful and loving to errant family (just as we want others to be loving and respectful to us when we are in error), but also not compromise in our own commitment to living as Christ taught us to live.

And of course always pray for your loved ones and all who struggle similarly to you and your family. Lord have mercy upon us all.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This has been heavily weighing on my heart since I found out. My father is a very strong Christian man and has always been completely against anything that would cause intoxication, definitely including weed. I went to go look in his cabinet for a knee brace for my brother, and found a dab pen with a THC pod like thing. My brother saw it as well, and is very upset about it, as he’s overcome struggles with marijuana in the past. I want to talk about it, but I don’t know how to bring it up. I don’t know if I really want to disturb the peace but it’s just going to cause more resentment from my brother. If you have any sort of advice, please help brothers and sisters

Something to consider might be that your dad is having some medical problems that he is choosing to try CBD (natural and not intoxicating) to treat it with.

What is widely available isn't weed, it's THC free and won't get him intoxicated at all, and many adults with health problems (arthritis pain and more) are trying it out now that it's legal in most states to see if it helps their conditions, instead of going straight to prescription drugs that can have a wide variety of side effects.

If your dad's a good Christian, this is far more likely than he's decided to take up getting high.

If you want to ask your dad about it then do so... but do so respectfully and without jumping to conclusions.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

It's no different than taking any other medication. Unless he is getting high and losing control of himself, he hasn't done anything wrong. Give glory to God and thank Him for the time you have with your father. You know your father is a believer. Rejoice with him and do not worry about what is between him and our Lord!

Upvote 0

Grayson Sorrentino

Sep 26, 2020
Windsor
✟7,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something to consider might be that your dad is having some medical problems that he is choosing to try CBD (natural and not intoxicating) to treat it with.

What is widely available isn't weed, it's THC free and won't get him intoxicated at all, and many adults with health problems (arthritis pain and more) are trying it out now that it's legal in most states to see if it helps their conditions, instead of going straight to prescription drugs that can have a wide variety of side effects.

If your dad's a good Christian, this is far more likely than he's decided to take up getting high.

If you want to ask your dad about it then do so... but do so respectfully and without jumping to conclusions.

Thank you, and bless you for your help. Unfortunately I’m aware that it is THC concentrate. Since my brother has struggled with these issues before he’s also identified the fact that he’s been getting high at home in front of him. I just pray that God will place some clarity and content on my brothers heart as he is really struggling with it. Thank you again!

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you, and bless you for your help. Unfortunately I’m aware that it is THC concentrate. Since my brother has struggled with these issues before he’s also identified the fact that he’s been getting high at home in front of him. I just pray that God will place some clarity and content on my brothers heart as he is really struggling with it. Thank you again!

Well there's nothing wrong sitting and talking to your dad about it. It may alleviate some of your concerns, or at least get everyones feelings in the open. Sometimes just that is helpful...

Just remember to be respectful of your father when your talking to him.. speak with love always.

God bless you, and I'll put your family on my prayer list.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Pray for wisdom and for the truth to be revealed. Some people turn to cannabis for genuine medical reasons. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but motivation is important. Have you spoken to your mother? She may know something that you do not. You don't want to confront your dad and be embarrassed by what he says about it.

• Agree
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What proof is there that it actually is your dad's? Maybe your brother is relapsing and is hiding that fact?

Continuing, I don't believe it is wise to expose your Father as Ham did Noah before Shem and Japheth and whose son was cursed as a result. I'd definitely pray about the situation.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟67,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of clear Biblical wisdom here that one gets only from relationship with the Father through Jesus. Heard of a person slipping over the border to a neighboring state to get relief as they have allowable amount laws, this person spoke of multiple physical ills and having received relief from a small dosage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grayson Sorrentino

Sep 26, 2020
Windsor
✟7,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray for wisdom and for the truth to be revealed. Some people turn to cannabis for genuine medical reasons. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but motivation is important. Have you spoken to your mother? She may know something that you do not. You don't want to confront your dad and be embarrassed by what he says about it.
Thank you, I’ve definitely been praying on it. My parents have been divorced for 12 years and I don’t think talking to her would help. I’m definitely looking up for wisdom to see if I should talk to him or not, and hoping that we will both be very open and vulnerable. I wouldn’t mind being embarrassed, just to get some clarity. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Grayson Sorrentino

Sep 26, 2020
Windsor
✟7,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What proof is there that it actually is your dad's? Maybe your brother is relapsing and is hiding that fact?

Continuing, I don't believe it is wise to expose your Father as Ham did Noah before Shem and Japheth and whose son was cursed as a result. I'd definitely pray about the situation.

Although I would prefer that I don’t have “proof”, I know it’s his as he is charging it and leaving it by his bedside and taking it in the morning. Thank you for your advice!

• Friendly
Reactions: xaris
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

your choices are to either ask him about it .... or ignore it.

If you want to talk to him about it .... then bring it up by telling the truth .... I was looking for a knee brace for my brother and saw this strange thing in the cabinet .... what is it?

I know many christians who smoke pot here and there .... I know many christians who have a alcoholic drink every once in a while as well (some a glass of wine every evening) ... does that exempt them from salvation? Salvation is up to the Lord.

All of us fall short of the glory of God one way or another and we should remember that
we are all sinners.

not my place to judge anyone ... that's where I leave it.

May the Lord have mercy on all of us. Amen.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Have you heard this about our Lord :
Consequently, he is able to SAVE TO THE UTTERMOST those who draw near to God through Him, since He ALWAYS LIVES TO MAKE INTERCESSION for them. -Hebrews 7:25

Our Lord Jesus Christ, our great High Priest ALWAYS LIVES TO MAKE INTERCESSION for us, the offenders or the sinners, that includes those who smoke weeds.

So what you can do is pray on behalf of your dad ! Why ? Because you love your dad !

Remember the love that our Lord have shown, that is why He is mentioned to always live to make intercession. That is how great His love and mercy !

Also, you can do is fast that you may undo the straps of the yoke, as we have heard :

"Is not this the fast that I choose: to LOOSE THE BONDS OF WICKEDNESS, to UNDO THE STRAPS OF THE YOKE, to LET THE OPPRESSED GO FREE, and to BREAK EVERY YOKE? -Isaiah 58:6

Also, remember the counsel that apostle Paul have told us:
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. -Ephesians 4:31

Why ? consider this is what we have heard also:

Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot SAVE, or his ear dull, that it cannot hear; -Isaiah 59:1
but your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he DOES NOT HEAR. -Isaiah 59:2

If you want your prayer to be heard by God, make peace with your brother, forgive those who wrong you , ask the Lord to forgive you THEN pray ! The Lord will hear you praying on your father’s behalf.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of clear Biblical wisdom here that one gets only from relationship with the Father through Jesus. Heard of a person slipping over the border to a neighboring state to get relief as they have allowable amount laws, this person spoke of multiple physical ills and having received relief from a small dosage.

So you were firstly in your Dad's cabinet, and your post heading said you caught your father smoking weed, but you didn't actually.

If what you found troubles you, be honest and tell him what you did first which was kind of an invasion of his privacy, and then respectfully explain your concerns.

If it is medicinal marijuana then that is safer than a lot of prescription medications.

Also are you sure it belongs to your father?

• Winner
Reactions: xaris
Upvote 0

Elfkind

Jul 21, 2015
Bergen
✟19,493.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'd simply tell your dad about this. If he's a normal father he'll be very sorry for having made you worried and it is perhaps what he need to put this thing behind him. I've been smoking a lot of hashish and pot myself since my early teenage years, and I can't touch the stuff anymore, but get a lot of horrible anxiety at once if I smoke. I'm glad I've come to the point where I don't have this bad habit anymore.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does your father know what he has? Has he used it? Why does he have it?

That is a strange thing to have around, I must admit. I'm not a drug person. Never have been and I guess I never will be. Legal or not, that stuff isn't welcome in my home.

But CBD is a big thing these days. Don't mistake me for an expert (not a drug guy, remember?) but it is my understanding that CBD is of a different substance than THC and usage of it brings about different effects than THC.

Thus, did you see some kind of CBD device? If so, I don't see a radical disconnect between Christian morality and the usage of CBD (based upon my understanding above, which may be mistaken because I'm not a drug guy).

Either way, I think your best course is to talk this issue over with your father and find answers about what exactly he has. People keep all kinds of weird stuff in their homes without knowing what they've got. A friend from high school lived in a house for something like five years without knowing she had a stash of comic books in her attic worth in excess of $250,000. Point being that your father may know understand what he has. For that matter, you may not understand either.

So talk it over with him.

Upvote 0