Aug 18, 2015
✟328,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another problem I have with people who say I believe in God but I'm not religious is it sounds like they are saying they are deists. Because I hear a lot of deists who rightfully so say this, but if you believe in Jesus Christ then why make it sound like you believe in just a general creator of the universe?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
people approach God from different spots and some are predisposed to religious systems where others predisposed to anti-religious. Both can serve God but our "religious" cause (or non-religious cause) should never speak louder than Christ himself. At the end of the day we all follow Christ not a system.
Jesus never taught His disciples to be anti-religious. He spoke out against sin and corruption. Not religion. And no, we are not all following Christ. To the contrary, most people who say they are Christians are liars (see Matthew 7:21-23; 2 Timothy 4:3-4; 1 John 2:4 for further information).

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think this desire to say you aren't religious started because of the new atheist movement bashing religion. So people began not to want to be grouped in with a bunch of people viewed negatively because of the new atheists.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People say this line so much its starting to make me wonder if being religious is a bad thing? Or do people say this because they want to cover themselves incase the person isn't a believer? To me you can't say anything more lukewarm than this line and I hate to see people say this because it really gives a mixed message and its confusing to know what you actually believe.
When someone says "I believe in God but I'm not religious" we really don't know what they mean by "religious." Instead of projecting our own definition into their statement and passing judgement, perhaps it's best to ask them what they mean by "religious" so we can understand exactly what they're saying.

To some, that may mean they have been jaded by a church that preached unbiblical works based salvation and think all Christian churches are that way (seen this a lot). To others it may mean they have a pluralistic worldview. Still others maybe just want to create a god of their own making. All three of these mean very different things and require very different responses.

A few simple questions can help us understand what the individual really means instead of jumping to conclusions.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this desire to say you aren't religious started because of the new atheist movement bashing religion. So people began not to want to be grouped in with a bunch of people viewed negatively because of the new atheists.
I think many Christians have been manipulated into believing "religion" belongs to the same class as a cuss word. They are so afraid to offend people who are anti-religion that they avoid identifying themselves with the word, "religion." In the end, it doesn't strengthen their witness but weakens it, as it shows they have embraced political correctness. If we are standing for what is right, then who cares if people get offended. Let them get offended. Their worldly-minded opinions mean little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

For every social grouping that exists, someone is bashing them. Why would a believer care what an atheist thinks of religion?

So, what do you think the purpose of the Church is?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When someone says "I believe in God but I'm not religious" we really don't know what they mean by "religious." Instead of projecting our own definition into their statement and passing judgement, perhaps it's best to ask them what they mean by "religious" so we can understand exactly what they're saying.

To some, that may mean they have been jaded by a church that preached unbiblical works based salvation and think all Christian churches are that way (seen this a lot). To others it may mean they have a pluralistic worldview. Still others maybe just want to create a god of their own making. All three of these mean very different things and require very different responses.

A few simple questions can help us understand what the individual really means instead of jumping to conclusions.

We don't know which is the problem. Which has rendered the statement to be quite meaningless. Why say it at all? If you are going to say that at least follow it up with what you mean by it. If someone says this in person then sure I could inquire as to what they really mean but when someone just says it in a video or some situation where you can't inquire further then its impossible. Which is another reason why I don't like this saying.

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think many Christians have been manipulated into believing "religion" belongs to the same class as a cuss word. They are so afraid to offend people who are anti-religion that they avoid identifying themselves with the word, "religion." In the end, it doesn't strengthen their witness but weakens it shows they have embraced political correctness. If we are standing for what is right, then who cares if people get offended. Let them get offended. Their worldly-minded opinions mean little.
I think many don't like the word religion because it means superstition. The Pharasees were religious. Muslims are religious.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's good to ask questions for clarity. It's also good to advise people to use words correctly, and to stop pushing their false definitions on others.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think many Christians have been manipulated into believing "religion" belongs to the same class as a cuss word. They are so afraid to offend people who are anti-religion that they avoid identifying themselves with the word, "religion." In the end, it doesn't strengthen their witness but weakens it shows they have embraced political correctness. If we are standing for what is right, then who cares if people get offended. Let them get offended. Their worldly-minded opinions mean little.

This is why I think people say it. So no one gets offended or views them differently for having faith. I find it to be a very weak thing to say because we should be proud of what we believe in.

• Agree
Reactions: woobadooba
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't know which is the problem. Which has rendered the statement to be quite meaningless. Why say it at all? If you are going to say that at least follow it up with what you mean by it. If someone says this in person then sure I could inquire as to what they really mean but when someone just says it in a video or some situation where you can't inquire further then its impossible. Which is another reason why I don't like this saying.
I agree; the ambiguity of the statement renders it somewhat meaningless on it's face. That's why it's best to ask for clarification. If it's just someone someone says on a video, then it's not really anything with which we can concern ourselves anyway.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is why I think people say it. So no one gets offended or views them differently for having faith. I find it to be a very weak thing to say because we should be proud of what we believe in.
Remember the "Jesus hates religion" guy? Many Christians were mislead to believe that lie. I believe that also played a big role in spreading the anti-religion nonsense we see in the Church.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus never taught His disciples to be anti-religious. He spoke out against sin and corruption. Not religion. And no, we are not all following Christ. To the contrary, most people who say they are Christians are liars (see Matthew 7:21-23; 2 Timothy 4:3-4; 1 John 2:4 for further information).
I did not say to be religious or anti I said some people are predisposed to these sentiments

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in and love Jesus but I am not religious. Matter of fact, I hate religion. Now if you need to know, just ask me.
Using correct definitions for words will strengthen your witness for Christ. Speaking nonsense will only push thinking people away.

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course, you could also be totally wrong about why people say it. If someone says specifically that they are a follower of Jesus but not religious, I would never take that to mean they were afraid of offending someone. Like or or not, our culture does change the meaning of words in the common vernacular. And religious right now in the US often is associated with politics or rituals. Perhaps that person has someone in mind who was hyper religious, but also without love for his fellow man. What doe James say? Religion that God honors is the kind that helps people in need.

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course, you could also be totally wrong about why people say it. If someone says specifically that they are a follower of Jesus but not religious, I would never take that to mean they were afraid of offending someone. Like or or not, our culture does change the meaning of words in the common vernacular. And religious right now in the US often is associated with politics or rituals. Perhaps that person has someone in mind who was hyper religious, but also without love for his fellow man. What doe James say? Religion that God honors is the kind that helps people in need.
Amen. Now why are people afraid to ask someone what they mean? I am all for pure religion. I hate all other religion.

Upvote 0