I believe a Christian should live the whole Word of God.

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
(Luke 12:33) “Sell your possessions and give alms. Get yourselves purses that do not wear out, treasure that will not fail you, in Heaven where no thief can reach it and no moth destroy it. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
How then can we live?
Do we then become a burden one the rest of society?
We can work, and rent our residence. I guess one need not get rid of the clothes he or she has on. Could even have other clothes if they are willing to give them to some one in need.
Would it not be better if Christians come together and share with one another? Own everything in common; would that not be an answer to this aspect of God’s Word?
One could ask why is living the Word so rigorously, important?
My answer to that question is because, God told us to live his Word and we will be judged by how we obeyed. I believe it would make for a happier life. Also I believe as Christians walked more into God’s Word they would also walk more into God’s gifts.

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Much of what you say is true Giver, but instead of you choosing to live in such a way as others (communal), why not trust God enough to let Him give you a way of living that suits His purposes?

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
(Luke 12:33) “Sell your possessions and give alms. Get yourselves purses that do not wear out, treasure that will not fail you, in Heaven where no thief can reach it and no moth destroy it. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
How then can we live?
We can work, and rent our residence. I guess one need not get rid of the clothes he or she has on. Could even have other clothes if they are willing to give them to some one in need.
Would it not be better if Christians come together and share with one another? Own everything in common; would that not be an answer to this aspect of God’s Word?
My answer to that question is because, God told us to live his Word and we will be judged by how we obeyed. I believe it would make for a happier life. Also I believe as Christians walked more into God’s Word they would also walk more into God’s gifts.

if this is the case why are they called 'charismata' (gifts of grace)... We have the gifts because God loves us, not because of any works on our part.

Steve

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
if this is the case why are they called 'charismata' (gifts of grace)... We have the gifts because God loves us, not because of any works on our part.

Steve
From my expierance very few people really walk in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I have been associated with many people who claim to have the gifts, but I never observed any evidence of those gifts.
What I know is that Jesus said his people would hear his voice. I haven’t found many people who have heard Jesus’ voice. Jesus gave us his Holy Spirit to teach and guide, and very few people ever had a question answered, to them, by Jesus/Holy Spirit.
But trufully for those who believe that they are destined to go to heaven no matter what they do after they become baptized in Jesus name; what I have to share is for those who know better.
All I ask anyone is to ask Jesus if I am right or wrong. I wonder how many will hear from Jesus?

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I find you seem very sceptical , as if you doubt .
Many people here will tell you they here from God and they have gifts they work in.
I dont think I would get an answer to your question as I dont really desire one.
You should be asking yourself.
I have had questions answered but they were things I wanted or needed to know.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
From my expierance very few people really walk in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I have been associated with many people who claim to have the gifts, but I never observed any evidence of those gifts.
What I know is that Jesus said his people would hear his voice. I haven’t found many people who have heard Jesus’ voice. Jesus gave us his Holy Spirit to teach and guide, and very few people ever had a question answered, to them, by Jesus/Holy Spirit.
But trufully for those who believe that they are destined to go to heaven no matter what they do after they become baptized in Jesus name; what I have to share is for those who know better.
All I ask anyone is to ask Jesus if I am right or wrong. I wonder how many will hear from Jesus?

If I say you're wrong, am I hearing from Jesus? Slippery slope to get on.

Upvote 0

jdorsey

Defender of Fun!
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

How then can we live?

Google information on Shane Claiborne (I don't think I can post links). He is a man who felt that he needed to live that Scripture literally and sold all he had and moved to the Philadelphia ghetto. He is essentially "homeless." He lives in a unique "shelter" with other Christians, sharing a car, using communal health insurance, working side jobs and walking the streets for Christ. They have Bible studies and outreaches and just walk the city sharing love with the homeless.

I think his story is amazing. He has a book out, The Irrisistable Revolution, and I had the priveledge of hearing him speak.

However, I don't think you have to take this verse literally either.
I think it is a good thing to not live with your heart set on money, cars, jewelry etc., but to use what you have for others, and count on your treasures being in heaven. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking it so literally, like Shane, but I don't think if you don't do that, you aren't going to produce spriritual fruit either.

Also, note that the passage of Scripture where this verse lies is about worry. Read the verses around it. Jesus is telling the disciples not to worry about their earthly things, that He would take care of them and that a worldly person chases after earthly things for himself.
It is vital to live every part of God's word, just be careful not to get legalistic in doing everything in there without interpretting the Scripture and also seeking the Holy Spirit's will. If He wants you to sell all you have and minister to the poor, then ask Him. And if He says do it, then do it. He might just urge you to give your overabundance and use it for others, while still supporting yourself.

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Google information on Shane Claiborne (I don't think I can post links). He is a man who felt that he needed to live that Scripture literally and sold all he had and moved to the Philadelphia ghetto. He is essentially "homeless." He lives in a unique "shelter" with other Christians, sharing a car, using communal health insurance, working side jobs and walking the streets for Christ. They have Bible studies and outreaches and just walk the city sharing love with the homeless.

I think his story is amazing. He has a book out, The Irrisistable Revolution, and I had the priveledge of hearing him speak.

However, I don't think you have to take this verse literally either.
I think it is a good thing to not live with your heart set on money, cars, jewelry etc., but to use what you have for others, and count on your treasures being in heaven. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking it so literally, like Shane, but I don't think if you don't do that, you aren't going to produce spriritual fruit either.

Also, note that the passage of Scripture where this verse lies is about worry. Read the verses around it. Jesus is telling the disciples not to worry about their earthly things, that He would take care of them and that a worldly person chases after earthly things for himself.
It is vital to live every part of God's word, just be careful not to get legalistic in doing everything in there without interpretting the Scripture and also seeking the Holy Spirit's will. If He wants you to sell all you have and minister to the poor, then ask Him. And if He says do it, then do it. He might just urge you to give your overabundance and use it for others, while still supporting yourself.
I am not answering your post because of any disagreement. I am writing to help me clarify something that is bothering me.
When I accepted Jesus’ call my life style was as an up and coming exertive that had made it in the business world. The first thing Jesus asked me to do was give my life to him. The Holy Spirit let me know that if I did give my life to Jesus I would lose everything I owned. I lost everything even my way of making a living. I lived the next thirty some years from pay check to pay check, when I could find work. My wife, three children and I, at first, had to live in a tent. None of this happened because I willed it to happen. I did not give my possessions away. I lost them, because I could no longer perform at my profession. One day I was complaining to Jesus about losing my car. Jesus spoke to me and said: “They hung me.”
Scripture tells us that God’s people will hear his voice. Scripture says that to those who live God’s Word Jesus will show himself.
I assumed that there were many people who have heard and have seen Jesus. I find that very few if any people have heard or seen Jesus.
My daughter said that it was possible that Jesus meant people would hear his voice when they were dying and he then called them by name. That of course could well be, but doesn’t that make for a scary wait? Then I wonder why has he shown himself to me, and I have heard him call me by name? I have come to the conclusion that he knew I would live his Word and would give my life to him.
What that tells me is people need to live the Written Word of God Just the way it is written.
Thirty some years ago Jesus told me a time was coming when man would suffer more than he has ever suffered. I was to give a Word and leave. Out of that Word a community would grow. He wanted a place for his people.
I am writing this, because I am scared for so many people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
If I say you're wrong, am I hearing from Jesus? Slippery slope to get on.
If you heard from Jesus that I was wrong, then that is what you should believe. You should not be led by me, but by your relationship with Jesus. I will not take offence to you not believing me. I would also take what you say to Jesus so as to make sure I am being led by him.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think if you know you are hearing the voice of the Spirit that is good enough for me. I do not know you and do not need to know more. However, I need to ask myself am I hearing God's voice in my life. Your posts I belive may have provoked that thought in many of us. gg

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well I'll be darned!

This is probably the only other time I have read anyone on this forum say such a thing besides me.
This is what I have been saying for years....well mine has a battle plan that's more practical than just walking out the door with just the shirt on your back...but it's the same thing.

In fact I've been living out of my car for years, with the exception of renting a room once in awhile.
I spent 9 months out of 12 in my car last year.

The goal is to try and save up money so that I could open up a christian bootcamp to help other Godly men get free from sin(including all these idols such as tv, videogames, etc.) so that they to could go out and create more christian bootcamps, and pull their money together and use it for the greater good, rather than spend it on wastefull things that won't mean anything when we get to heaven....as if those things made us happy here on earth anyways, they don't. Those things are distractions and lead to all kinds of trouble and destruction.

Upvote 0

Deba

Jul 8, 2007
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Five years ago I too was asked by God to give up everything I owned. What I own will now will still all fit in carry-on luggage. I haven't paid a bill for five years but live a pretty pleasant lifestyle with everything that is provided for my use.

God has His ways and His reasons. Most of the things in my life are His business now and I have learned not to stick my nose into His business. He doesn't need my help.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Five years ago I too was asked by God to give up everything I owned. What I own will now will still all fit in carry-on luggage. I haven't paid a bill for five years but live a pretty pleasant lifestyle with everything that is provided for my use.

God has His ways and His reasons. Most of the things in my life are His business now and I have learned not to stick my nose into His business. He doesn't need my help.
I would be interested in what you mean by God doesn’t need your help.
One time while my family was living in a tent, one of my baby daughters spilled something on the floor of the tent. She wanted to clean it up, and I let her, but it was taking forever and I was getting impatient, and wanted to do it myself. Jesus told me he could do what he has for me to do much better than I could, but he chose for me to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Much of what you say is true Giver, but instead of you choosing to live in such a way as others (communal), why not trust God enough to let Him give you a way of living that suits His purposes?

("Reps" for words of wisdom ... I needed to hear this today. Thanks! :) )

Upvote 0

Deba

Jul 8, 2007
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I would be interested in what you mean by God doesn’t need your help.

One time while my family was living in a tent, one of my baby daughters spilled something on the floor of the tent. She wanted to clean it up, and I let her, but it was taking forever and I was getting impatient, and wanted to do it myself. Jesus told me he could do what he has for me to do much better than I could, but he chose for me to do it.

My work is what He puts in front of me to do: tell someone about God, feed a child, discipline or encourage someone, give to the poor, educate the unlearned, etc.

My job is not to take on 'projects' and 'fund-raising' and start making decisions as to what I think is the best way to serve Him. My job is to follow where He leads. He doesn't need my help setting the course.

Upvote 0

The Penitent Man

the penitent man shall pass
Nov 11, 2009
Clarkson, Ontario
✟16,654.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 6:5
"And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength."

I can do better. And unless I lose touch with honesty and humility, I'll probably never be self-satisfied. Self-satisfaction is dangerous.

Upvote 0

jdorsey

Defender of Fun!
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
✟7,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I assumed that there were many people who have heard and have seen Jesus. I find that very few if any people have heard or seen Jesus.....

Thirty some years ago Jesus told me a time was coming when man would suffer more than he has ever suffered. I was to give a Word and leave. Out of that Word a community would grow. He wanted a place for his people.

I am writing this, because I am scared for so many people.

To the first comment, that very few have heard or seen Jesus, I wonder what your view of "few" is. I have heard Him. I do all the time. So does my husband, and my parents, my friends. I don't know what you are basing that on.

Secondly, what do you mean a man would suffer more than he has ever suffered? What man? Not sure I understant what you are talking about there.

I'm not sure you are scared for. For the unsaved, yes be afraid for them. For those who know Christ, why would you be scared for them? Because they are not selling all their earthly possessions and living in a tent? If you are going to get literal and live exactly what the Bible says, you are going to have to learn the original text because translation has changed many of the words.

I hear your heart, but are you going about this the wrong way? Did you look up Shane Claiborne?

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
To the first comment, that very few have heard or seen Jesus, I wonder what your view of "few" is. I have heard Him. I do all the time. So does my husband, and my parents, my friends. I don't know what you are basing that on.I appreciate what you are saying, but would you explain how you hear Jesus, and some of what he has told you?

Secondly, what do you mean a man would suffer more than he has ever suffered? What man? Not sure I understant what you are talking about there.Now you have me. I shared what Jesus told me, and he did not explain. I will say this, just before he told me that I was shown devastation in the world that I assumed was the end times.

I'm not sure you are scared for. For the unsaved, yes be afraid for them. For those who know Christ, why would you be scared for them? Because they are not selling all their earthly possessions and living in a tent? If you are going to get literal and live exactly what the Bible says, you are going to have to learn the original text because translation has changed many of the words.The teaching of saved and unsaved is to me a lot of garbage. I believe we will know for sure we are saved when Jesus separates the sheep from the goats.
No I am scared for all those who believe they are saved and are not living the Whole Word of God. I am not scared for the World, because God will be their judge at the end time. The Word of God will be a Christian’s judge at the end time.

I hear your heart, but are you going about this the wrong way? Did you look up Shane Claiborne?
Who are you to tell me that I am doing what Jesus has me doing, in the wrong way? I have been following Jesus’ directions for over thirty years, and he is pleased with my work.

Upvote 0