• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I am worried! Please! Help! Please please please please!

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1,5 year ago, I was in my bed. I wanted to calm down and sleep. My ocd was telling me that I may have made a rushed promise to God to visit a specific site/article and accept/reject the cookies.

I was too bored and did not want to do the compulsion. It was just, a compulsion because there was never a promise to God. I knew I never made a promise but still, I could not calm down.

As I was analyzing the situation, my ocd was bugging me

ocd: do it! do it! get up! do the compulsion! do it!

At that second, I randomly, thought of an idea that would help me not do the compulsion. I thought about making a NEW promise to God about not accepting/rejecting the cookies of that site. That would force me to fight ocd!

It was just, an idea that popped up in my head. Immediately, it seemed like a very good idea. Without thinking more than 2 seconds about it, I randomly, made that new promise to God. I did not speak. I just, used my thoughts to make the promise and also, asked for a punishment in case breaking it. That would make the promise more difficult to break. All these lasted about 1 second. After that, I felt relieved and I was like "thanks to this scary promise, now I must NOT do what ocd is telling me"

After some seconds, I started worrying. I started feeling bad. Did I just, made a promise to God and asked for punishment?

I remember canceling the promise. But I was not 100% sure if it was really a promise on the first place. My subconscious just, suggested me to make the promise and I without thinking, just, made the promise in order to feel relief.

I do not remember the site but I remember that it was an article about an actor. As long as I was never accepting/rejecting cookies about an article that is about that actor, I am fine.

Today, I entered a site to read something about the coronavirus. i randomly, clicked "reject cookies" After rejecting them, I noticed that the site had an ad photo next to the article with that actor.

I started fearing that this may have accidentally, broken the possible promise to God. I do not want to be punished.

I want to ask. Is my rushed promise considered valid or not? I could not control myself I think. I worry if I meant it for 1 second. But I am not sure. It looked like a normal, fast prayer to God but I did not think about it. I am confused because I cant understand if it was a rushed prayer or just, intrusive thoughts. or something both. I just, wanted to calm down! I just, wanted some relief from my ocd. I have told God that I do not want to make these promises. I always, fall in the same trap.

Do you think the promise is valid? Its like action-reaction.

ocd: go do the compulsion! you made a promise!

me: no!

ocd: go do it! you made a promsie!

me: I never made a promise!

ocd: You made one! GO DO IT!

subconscious: how about making a new promise not to do what ocd says?

me: good idea! (makes the new promise)

I just, cant control myself! I worry that there may be a God who is different than Jesus, who maybe does not care about ocd!

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Your OK

People without OCD make God all kind of promises to bargain with Him etc. So He will answer their prayer requests etc. and frequently do not keep them.

If you did this because of a mental condition God understands, He after all made you along with the rest of the World.

But for the future, you should do your best to not make any sort of empty vow or promise.

Upvote 0