I am so sick of hearing about Ellen White!!!

3DSabbath07

Don't get me wrong, her books are a great series of books, but that is all they are to me.......just a commentary on the bible. She even says in her books to NOT quote her from the pulpit! but that is all we hear today in our churches and on HOPE TV and 3ABN......I am sick of it......God gets the credit, not her! And everyone wonders why we are called a cult, you may not realize it, but if you quote more from her books than scripture.....there is something wrong with you! The Bible and the Bible only!!!! We get after the Catholic church for having the Apocrypha and obeying it and then we as Adventists put Ellen White's books up there and expect no one to call us a cult.....it is absolutely disgraceful to God and her! We expect to win over all kinds of people for the kingdom of God, but I'll tell you what.......NOBODY CARES ABOUT ELLEN WHITE IN THIS PROCESS!!! We need to get back to the Bible and quoting scripture and not someone that received a vision......It is OK to follow her words ONLY IF THEY LINE UP THE BIBLE, BUT DO NOT QUOTE HER, QUOTE THE ONE WHO GAVE HER THE VISION........SHE IS A LESSER LIGHT, SO LET US KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!!!!:groupray:

Lebesgue

Feb 25, 2008
✟16,029.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't get me wrong, her books are a great series of books, but that is all they are to me.......just a commentary on the bible. She even says in her books to NOT quote her from the pulpit! but that is all we hear today in our churches and on HOPE TV and 3ABN......I am sick of it......God gets the credit, not her! And everyone wonders why we are called a cult, you may not realize it, but if you quote more from her books than scripture.....there is something wrong with you! The Bible and the Bible only!!!! We get after the Catholic church for having the Apocrypha and obeying it and then we as Adventists put Ellen White's books up there and expect no one to call us a cult.....it is absolutely disgraceful to God and her! We expect to win over all kinds of people for the kingdom of God, but I'll tell you what.......NOBODY CARES ABOUT ELLEN WHITE IN THIS PROCESS!!! We need to get back to the Bible and quoting scripture and not someone that received a vision......It is OK to follow her words ONLY IF THEY LINE UP THE BIBLE, BUT DO NOT QUOTE HER, QUOTE THE ONE WHO GAVE HER THE VISION........SHE IS A LESSER LIGHT, SO LET US KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!!!!:groupray:

You just addressed one of the MAIN reasons why I left the SDA church. All I heard was Ellen White this and Ellen White that, little if anything from the Bible and Ellen White mentioned more than Y'shua.

It's so radically different at my Messianic synagogue, the sermons are from the Bible and it's all about Y'shua.

Ellen White was a sincere Christian who truly loved the L-rd and wanted to serve Him, but I do not in any way shape or form consider her a prophet and probably not even a Bible commentator. She wrote things like about Adam being 12 feet tall that aren't even in the Bible and like WHERE did she get that? Maybe G-d doesn't think it's important for us to know how tall Adam was and that's why it's not in the Bible.

G-d Bless.

Shalom,

Lebesgue

Upvote 0

hraedisc

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
SDA
Where are these churches? I haven't attended one of them in any of the 12 states* and 5 countries that I have attended churches in (69 churches that I distinctly remember). I've heard much that is directly contradicting her published works, though, in every state.

*Louisiana (9), Georgia (6), Florida (7), Tennessee (10), Texas (4), Wisconsin (2), Maryland (2), Vermont (1), Hawaii (1), California (2), Arizona (3), Missouri (4) + Washington D.C. (1) + Singapore (1), Japan (1), Korea (13), Mexico (1)

Wow. Thinking of these brought back some memories.

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
just a commentary on the bible.

She'd be appalled to hear you say even that.

She even says in her books to NOT quote her from the pulpit!

I'm not sure that is an exact quote in the sense of stating what she meant. I highly doubt that she'd object to a pithy quote now and then.

but that is all we hear today in our churches and on HOPE TV and 3ABN.

If it was literally true that that was "all" they read at 3ABN then yes that would be a problem.

All I heard was Ellen White this and Ellen White that, little if anything from the Bible and Ellen White mentioned more than Y'shua.

I'd like to know where these churches are too. I've been over 2 dozen churches in 45 years and haven't heard this kind of nonsense.

I suspect that this is athe reverse of what one our elders spoke of: we don't read EGW because we are afraid of what we'll find. Some are so paranoid ab't the truth being told the truth in plain terms that if EGW is mentioned once in a sermon while the whole of the Sermon on the Mount was read the critics would claim "All I hear is EGW this and EGW that!".

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where are these churches? I haven't attended one of them in any of the 12 states* that I have attended churches in. I've heard much that is directly contradicting her published works, though, in every state.

*Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin, Maryland, Vermont, Hawaii, California, Arizona, Missouri (+ Washington D.C.)
I can't speak for all of the states you mentioned, but I've attended MANY, MANY churches like this in Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, Bermuda, many places in Mexico, and in several places on the other side of the globe.

I bolded the states where I've attended multiple churches that fit the bill (NOT just more than one, MULTIPLE). I couldn't even give you numbers as several of those states I've probably been in pretty close to every church in the conference.

In CHRIST alone...

Reactions: whatfor
Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Name the one's in MN that use EGW all the time and don't quote from the Bible. Same for NC and MI.
I'm not saying they don't quote from the Bible.

I'm not going to give you a list David, and for multiple reasons (one being I don't know all the names of the churches). It wouldn't matter if I did! I've been in hundreds of churches. I'll guarantee I've been to yours too! You're in Minneapolis, right? If so, I've been there.

So, the non-bolded you've never been too, but you know what is said in their sermons?
No, you're misreading what I wrote again. In the bolded states I've been to multiple churches where EGW is preached from the front. In the non-bolded states I can only think of one or two examples.

In CHRIST alone...

Reactions: whatfor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
O

OntheDL

She'd be appalled to hear you say even that.

I'm not sure that is an exact quote in the sense of stating what she meant. I highly doubt that she'd object to a pithy quote now and then.

If it was literally true that that was "all" they read at 3ABN then yes that would be a problem.

I'd like to know where these churches are too. I've been over 2 dozen churches in 45 years and haven't heard this kind of nonsense.

I suspect that this is athe reverse of what one our elders spoke of: we don't read EGW because we are afraid of what we'll find. Some are so paranoid ab't the truth being told the truth in plain terms that if EGW is mentioned once in a sermon while the whole of the Sermon on the Mount was read the critics would claim "All I hear is EGW this and EGW that!".

I have been to a few churches. I can say less than 10% of the time I even hear a single quote from the SOP.

The reason the majority of the SDA churches don't quote the SOP is very simple. Because it rebukes their liturgy, their dress, their life style, their theology. It's the very reason they hate it here.

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Originally Posted by djconklin
Name the one's in MN that use EGW all the time and don't quote from the Bible. Same for NC and MI.

I'm not saying they don't quote from the Bible.

I'm not going to give you a list David.

Didn't think you "would." I live in MN and have been in MI (I have ways of checking on what goes on in NC) so I know pretty well what goes on and what does not.

So, the non-bolded you've never been too, but you know what is said in their sermons?
No, you're misreading what I wrote again. In the bolded states I've been to multiple churches where EGW is preached from the front. In the non-bolded states I can only think of one or two examples.

Thank you for the clarification. Your post wasn't clear, as usual.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Didn't think you "would." I live in MN and have been in MI (I have ways of checking on what goes on in NC) so I know pretty well what goes on and what does not.
Read my post again. I added to it after you had clicked reply.

http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=44644247&postcount=10

I have ways of checking in almost all of the states I bolded from the conference level or several pastors. But I bolded them because I personally made the observations and heard with my own ears, and didn't get the information through someone else's interpretation.

Thank you for the clarification. Your post wasn't clear, as usual.
Go read it again. It's completely clear what I said. I hope you pay more attention in your 'research'.

In CHRIST alone...

Upvote 0

Lebesgue

Feb 25, 2008
✟16,029.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can't speak for all of the states you mentioned, but I've attended MANY, MANY churches like this in Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York, Bermuda, many places in Mexico, and in several places on the other side of the globe.

I bolded the states where I've attended multiple churches that fit the bill (NOT just more than one, MULTIPLE). I couldn't even give you numbers as several of those states I've probably been in pretty close to every church in the conference.

In CHRIST alone...

The SDA Churches I have been to in Michigan are the WORST offenders in this regard that I have been to, even worse than the ones in Indonesia for quoting Ellen White all the time.

I have been to the Battle Creek Tabernacle(was EGWs famous Dime Tabernacle before it burned down in the 1920s) and it's almost ALL Ellen heard there.

Last time I went to the BC tabernacle was last summer on vacation in Michigan(my mom and brother still live there and I go to see them). They actually have a very nice Seventh Day Baptist Church not far from the BC Tabernacle and I was trying to persuade my wife to check that out but she would have none of it. So we went to the BC Tabernacle(where we always go when we are in MI) and it was another Ellen-filled sermon, blecch.

I am glad I'm not going to Michigan this summer. I can't stand the BC Tabernacle and the nearest MJ Synagogue from where I stay when I visit Michigan is in Chicago.

G-d Bless.

Shalom,

Lebsgue

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟11,806.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm not going to give you a list David, and for multiple reasons (one being I don't know all the names of the churches).
You don't have to remember the names. Name the town or city. There must be something you remember about them. How about the pastors name?

It wouldn't matter if I did!
Yes, it would.

I've been in hundreds of churches.
Truck driver?

I'll guarantee I've been to yours too!
I doubt it, we take our vistors home to have lunch with us--did have a truck driver once--so maybe you were there!

You're in Minneapolis, right? If so, I've been there.
Which church in Minneapolis? There's a couple.

It's completely clear what I said.
It is clear to you because you wrote it and know what you mean.

I hope you pay more attention in your 'research'.
I do. That's why I can catch the critics when they lie to me. Example:

Quote:
Foy - Angels held cards in their hands Ellen- Angels hold golden cards
Foy - The wings as they moved cried holy Ellen - Their wings cried holy
Foy- Wings of the chariot and wings of angels cried in one voice, holy Ellen - The wheels of the chariot and the wings of the angels cried in one voice, holy
Foy- Transparent gold Ellen- transparent gold
Foy - Those who eat the fruit of this tree, return to earth no more Ellen- Those who eat the fruit of this land go back to earth no more
Foy- In his left hand, a silver trumpet Ellen - His left hand was as it were a silver trumpet
Foy - 144,000 stood in a perfect square Ellen - 144,000 stood in a perfect square
Foy- - Laid hold of the gate, and it swung back on its glittering hinges Ellen- The pearly gate swung back on its glittering hinges
Hmm, where'd clint get his copy of Foy's vision from? Why didn't he tell us where to get it from?

How come when I search Foy's vision I can't find all but one of the above quotes? Where's the proof that the EGW Estate didnt' send me a true copy of Foy's vision?

My search results:

Foy - Angels held cards in their hands (no)
Foy - The wings as they moved cried holy (no)
Foy- Wings of the chariot and wings of angels cried in one voice, holy (no)
Foy- Transparent gold (Rev. 21:21 paraphrase)
Foy- In his left hand, a silver trumpet (no)
Foy - 144,000 stood in a perfect square (no)
Foy- - Laid hold of the gate, and it swung back on its glittering hinges (no)

The (no) means that Foy didn't say that--it isn't a quote.

I'll let you find the alleged quotes from EGW. I wonder how buggy it will be?

From another forum--shortly thereafter the critic who made the claim bailed (wisely).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been to a few churches. I can say less than 10% of the time I even hear a single quote from the SOP.

The reason the majority of the SDA churches don't quote the SOP is very simple. Because it rebukes their liturgy, their dress, their life style, their theology. It's the very reason they hate it here.

Because her views on most of those topics are no longer valid.

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Thankfully even though my church is traditional it doesn't quote EGW all the time. I have read Bradford's book More than a Prophet. It shows how EGW can be a prophet even through her mistakes but that we need to strive beyond her theology.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to remember the names. Name the town or city. There must be something you remember about them. How about the pastors name?

I've been to around 80% of the churches in Minnesota. I'm not about to start listing them all. Go to the conference website and look at the list.

Yes, it would.
No, it really wouldn't.

Truck driver?
LOL. No. Come on David, you should remember!

I doubt it, we take our vistors home to have lunch with us--did have a truck driver once--so maybe you were there!
Well, nobody took me home.

Which church in Minneapolis? There's a couple.
Hmm...I believe the only one I've not been in is the 'progressive' one...don't remember the name. Pathways, maybe? I'm sure you know which one I'm referring to. I've been to all the rest in the metro area.

It is clear to you because you wrote it and know what you mean.
Did you go back and read it again?

Here's the statement you believe to be unclear:
"I bolded the states where I've attended multiple churches that fit the bill (NOT just more than one, MULTIPLE)."
I do. That's why I can catch the critics when they lie to me. Example:
From another forum--shortly thereafter the critic who made the claim bailed (wisely).
As I recall, you bailed from CARM shortly after being confronted on your 'research'. It didn't stand up to scrutiny. That was probably wise also.

In CHRIST alone...

Upvote 0