KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That's an incredibly interesting article!

I've noticed that attitude (that a man's focus on life is somehow just sex with a woman), and have seen several people comment about it, but I've never seen such an in-depth article about it.

Thank you very much for sharing!

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The attitude of some of you here is pretty deplorable :/

This article pointed out something that is incredibly prevalent in my culture (not sure about anyone elses, but it is very big in America).

The frame of thinking this article addresses is harmful to our society. It's caused trouble in relationships by building false expectations in ourselves (as one sex) and the opposite sex. I personally know the anguish brought on by the roles that this way of thinking forces into my life.

I've been taught to fear men all my life by those who brought me up. Because "men only want one thing", like they're some sort of hungry animals that can't think and just prowl around for their next meal. It's taken years of dealing with my own feelings and inhibitions to even approach a man and not be terrified that he's "after me" sexually first, and values me as a human being second. If I had not confronted these feelings I would never be able to properly enter a relationship and feel safe with a member of the opposite sex.

And there is a flip side- women are commonly painted as emotional rollercoasters that can't control their feelings and are unable to be understood by basic logic. My friend, who I've known for nearly 20 years, has been a long time learning that this is not the case. Learning to ask questions when a woman is upset or aggravated, because they CAN be approached and understood like any other human being, and realizing that a lady isn't an emotionally fragile piece of glass as certain figures make them out to be has been an ongoing discovery for him.

In short, I support everything this article has to say. This way of "men are from mars, women are from venus" thinking is destructive to our society and our relationships.

Reactions: Jess7737
Upvote 0

AmericanSamurai

the super dry member
Sep 24, 2012
America
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just can't take anyone serious who's expecting to be taken seriously by choosing to paint their self as a White Knight and apologize for the male gender at the same time elevating their own status at the expense of his own gender. lol

And totally agree with what EazyMack said about him wanting to gain applause from women and a reward from his wife. Totally spot on.

Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this a white knight/vanilla/feminist man-child?

I haven't read the article. Now I'm starting to be happy that I didn't.

He's got two main points.

The first is that the notion of "Men trade love for sex, women trade sex for love" is fundamentally flawed. First because men also desire to be loved and women also desire to have sex, so it's not a very useful distinction, and second because it's not a very good foundation for a healthy relationship: If you show love to a woman to get sex from her, she's basically a hooker who accepts a different kind of currency. The idea that sex is something a woman dislikes but reluctantly gives because her husband did something nice for her is completely silly, and is more rooted in sitcoms than anything else.

The second is that men can, in fact, control their sexual desires. There is this strange, horrific, twisted mentality out there that suggests that if a woman is not sufficiently pleasuring her husband, he is justified in looking for pleasure elsewhere. This is the same sort of mentality that says that women who dress immodestly are asking to be raped. It is categorically reprehensible, and it paints men as being some sort of unthinking beasts who are incapable of doing anything that doesn't satisfy their carnal desires.

No, if your wife does not have sex as often as you'd like, you are not justified in turning to inappropriate contentography or other women, and no, a woman who wears revealing clothing is not asking you to fantasize or objectify her. This fear of taking responsibility and willingness to blame your own lack of self-control and discipline on others is nothing more than immaturity.

To be honest, I kinda wonder if abstinence culture might have something to do with it. Christian teens are told "Just hold on until you're married, and then you can have all the sex you want!" and then get married and are shocked to discover that their libidos don't match up exactly with their spouses'. So they start thinking, "Hang on, I'm married, I'm entitled to sexual release!" and so when they don't get it from their wife, they either think it's okay to search for it elsewhere, or they become the abusive, Mark Driscoll type and start saying "You need to put out for me whenever I want it because I am a MAN and you need to submit to ME!" Just because you're married to someone, boys and girls, doesn't mean that coercing them to have sex isn't rape.

Lust and self-control are lifelong battles, and when you treat them as things that magically stop when you get married, you're gonna have a bad time.

Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just can't take anyone serious who's expecting to be taken seriously by choosing to paint their self as a White Knight and apologize for the male gender at the same time elevating their own status at the expense of his own gender. lol

He didn't paint himself as a white knight. You did. And he's not apologizing for the male gender, he's attacking cultural stereotypes and saying that there's more to men than our sex drives. If anything, he's celebrating the male gender and saying that we are so much more than what generalizations make us out to be.

Upvote 0

AmericanSamurai

the super dry member
Sep 24, 2012
America
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
He didn't paint himself as a white knight. You did. And he's not apologizing for the male gender, he's attacking cultural stereotypes and saying that there's more to men than our sex drives. If anything, he's celebrating the male gender and saying that we are so much more than what generalizations make us out to be.

Oh he's celebrating it? Wow, boy did I miss that. he's a White Knight alright.

Upvote 0
E

EazyMack

I am a believer in abstinence, and I would not marry someone I didn't truly love or didn't truly love me (ever again). To rephrase: I would never have sex with someone without love and commitment.

BUT... I'm not gonna act like sex is something I can take or leave. It is the reason I desire to get married. That in no way implies that there aren't other things I would want to share, as well. A relationship is built on many things, the foundation of which needs to be Christ. But if you want to just be friends, then just be friends. As for me, I am a sex-fueled robot.

Upvote 0
E

EazyMack

I've been taught to fear men all my life by those who brought me up. Because "men only want one thing", like they're some sort of hungry animals that can't think and just prowl around for their next meal. It's taken years of dealing with my own feelings and inhibitions to even approach a man and not be terrified that he's "after me" sexually first, and values me as a human being second. If I had not confronted these feelings I would never be able to properly enter a relationship and feel safe with a member of the opposite sex.

I am very sorry that you've been subjected to this. It is in no way acceptable. It is wrong and those people are sick and broken, and I'm sorry you were made to deal with their issues. That's heartbreaking.

The sentiments being expressed by a couple of us in this thread will strike you in a different way, but that is not the intent.

There are ways of making sure that a man is not just after you for sex. Abstinence is the best way. Many will leave you. Good. That means it was someone you wouldn't want to commit to anyway. Make a man prove himself to be worthy by finding one who wants to build a relationship up to marriage first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am very sorry that you've been subjected to this. It is in no way acceptable. It is wrong and those people are sick and broken, and I'm sorry you were made to deal with their issues. That's heartbreaking.

The sentiments being expressed by a couple of us in this thread will strike you in a different way, but that is not the intent.

There are ways of making sure that a man is not just after you for sex. Abstinence is the best way. Many will leave you. Good. That means it was someone you wouldn't want to commit to anyway. Make a man prove himself to be worthy by finding one who wants to build a relationship up to marriage first.

I understand how to make sure men aren't "just after me" for sex in a relationship. I wasn't even talking about in the confines of a relationship in my post- I was taught that all men want sex from you whether they know you or not.

It's taken years of hard work to undo that teaching. I still work with it every day. The other day I had to show a man around an office on my own at work- I still felt the pangs of fear and panic (because "he is a man and he is tempted by me since I am a woman" and that of course lead to "so I must be careful or he will try something").

He was very kind to me and thanked me for the tour. He never tried anything, of course, because he was just a fellow human being looking for an office to have a meeting in. This went a long way in reassuring my confidence and helping my healing process.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
stoptyping.jpg

This thread has been closed for staff review.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
[c]Admin Hat

I have cleaned this thread of the off-topic responses. Please try to remember that this is a serious discussion and people making mocking posts in no way promotes a thoughtful exchange. If you do not have a significant contribution to make, please move on to another thread. There is no reason to bring every thread down to the level of silliness.[/c]

Upvote 0

Jess7737

Jun 8, 2013
Alabama
✟7,730.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe that in marriage you are putting two fallen beings together to become one flesh. These two people are clinging to God trying to find purpose, fulfillment, and love. In a world that is very dark and full of trials we must all face at one point an another. Male or female we all want to love and be loved. Jesus is that being who fulfills that desire of true love. Marriage, a Godly marriage, is a joining of two sinful beings, who are born again in there spirit's to make the right or wrong choses of following or ignoring the guidance of the Holy Spirit. If we try to do this life on our own, I've come to learn we fall flat on our faces. Jesus as always guided me through every aspect of my life relationships, school, work, ministry, family. He desires to be involved in everything. Marriage included.

So I completely agree with this article, it hits on a topic that so few speak of, but we all think of in our own minds from time to time. When it comes to the thoughts of the opposite sex. So to pull my rambling to a finish. We all desire to be loved, we all desire to fulfill a purpose with our lives, and we all struggle with temptations of the flesh. Male or female we feel, think, and crave some of the same things in different ways. But we crave them none the less.

For truly we are called to serve Christ, as number one, before marriage, work, family, and ourselves.

Upvote 0

ImperatorWall

Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
The moon
✟18,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the article is spot on.

I have never cared for the one dimensional picture that modern Christianity paints of the intimate relationship between husband and wife. I think most couples are far better off figuring things out for themselves rather than trying to jam themselves into a mold that is completely false and unrealistic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Personally, I think that we should dispense with taking generalities about the opposite sex as gospel.

Wha??

How can you say..

At least half of the conversation on message boards with regards to gender would go *poof* :D

Upvote 0
H

HorsieJuice

I think the article is spot on.

I have never cared for the one dimensional picture that modern Christianity paints of the intimate relationship between husband and wife. I think most couples are far better off figuring things out for themselves rather than trying to jam themselves into a mold that is completely false and unrealistic.

Indeed.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0