I am asking the theologians, is the atheism the sin?

sulo33

Feb 10, 2016
EU
✟123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are loving the atheists so ultimately high, what the following verses shall be explained. What are the theologians explanations present? Is the atheism sin or not? If not, then does the God bless us to become the atheists?

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12 NIV)

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We are loving the atheists so ultimately high, what the following verses shall be explained. What are the theologians explanations present? Is the atheism sin or not? If not, then does the God bless us to become the atheists?

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12 NIV)

Hello sulo33, and welcome to CF, and to Traditional Theology! We are glad that you've joined us. :)

As to your question, it makes no sense to me to ask if God blesses us to become atheists. Does God bless us to deny Him and turn away from Him? That would be apostasy, and no, He does not. That is very fearful and we are told we will be condemned.

Is atheism a sin? Well, mankind sins, period. We are all sick in our souls. If we don't receive healing, we remain sick. Atheism is essentially the sick, dying man telling the doctor he has no use for him, and to go away. The man remains sick (in his sins) and in danger of condemnation/death as a result.

In practice, it doesn't matter if it is a "sin" or not. But since "sin" is really "missing the mark" (not just "doing something bad") then the person who rejects God has indeed "missed the mark" and so in that sense, yes, atheism would be hamartia/sin.

Again, welcome to CF! :)

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Atheism is the rejection of God. How can that not be a sin?

Jesus said to the disciples, "if they are not against us, they are with us", which implies that the opposite is also true.

James 4:4 says it even more plainly: "You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God"

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We are loving the atheists so ultimately high, what the following verses shall be explained.
I'm sorry, but that sentence does not make sense in English.
What are the theologians explanations present? Is the atheism sin or not? If not, then does the God bless us to become the atheists?

Didn't you sort of answer the question here?

I do have one caveat though. It really depends on which god/s one is rejecting as to whether or not it is a sin. I'm an atheist when it comes to any god other than the Christian one. I also firmly reject some people's notions of God if those notions are plain evil. I have difficulty condemning an atheist that rejects a God of hate, because so do I.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
St. Paul writes that anything not of faith is sin. Not believing in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is a sin yes. But it's not some kind of "super sin" or anything of that nature. All sin is a problem, and all of us sin; some sin (St. John says) leads to death, what we might call "mortal sin". All sin can be mortal sin if left unaddressed. Because all sin leads us away from God, our only source of life. To that end the atheist isn't some special category of sinner, they're just sinners, just like you and me.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Open your Bible (or look it up on your computer) to 2 Timothy 2:15 in the King James Version. "Rightly Dividing" in the context of your question means separating scripture intended for a Hebrew audience (non-Christian) from that intended for Christians.

Now look at Mark 12. A teacher (Jewish Rabbi) of the law (legalities of Judaism) ask Jesus about all of the commandments. There are in the Hebrew "Halakhah," 1,000 rules and regulations, which are imperatives for Hebrew folk, along with the "great Shema," Deuteronomy 6:4-16, and, of course, the Ten Commandments. Out of all of those, Jesus selects the "Shema" for His answer, beginning with "Hear, O Israel!!", saying that there is "no commandment greater than these."

Who was Jesus talking to? Who were the audience? Christians? No. Hebrews? Yes. Were they guilty of sin? Yes. They were violating the terms, if you will, of life under Jewish law, commandments, and ordinances.

What is sin for everyone on earth since the advent of Jesus? Failure to recognize Him on the one hand as Messiah, and on the other as Savior by Grace through Faith. What identifies an atheist? One who fails to recognize God and thereby denies / rejects salvation by Grace through Faith. How does one overcome being unsaved (lost) for eternity?

See Romans 10:8-13. Study John 14:6, John 3:16-17, John 5:24.

God does not bless anyone to become an atheist. Be wonderfully blessed as you yield to Jesus.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Open your Bible (or look it up on your computer) to 2 Timothy 2:15 in the King James Version. "Rightly Dividing" in the context of your question means separating scripture intended for a Hebrew audience (non-Christian) from that intended for Christians.

That's a Dispensationalist understanding, not one shared by the vast majority of Christians.

Here is the entirety of 2 Timothy ch. 2

"You then, my child, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus; and what you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will be able to teach others as well. Share in suffering like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving in the army gets entangled in everyday affairs; the soldier’s aim is to please the enlisting officer. And in the case of an athlete, no one is crowned without competing according to the rules. It is the farmer who does the work who ought to have the first share of the crops. Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in all things.

Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, a descendant of David—that is my gospel, for which I suffer hardship, even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But the word of God is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, so that they may also obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. The saying is sure:

If we have died with him, we will also live with him;
if we endure, we will also reign with him;
if we deny him, he will also deny us;
if we are faithless, he remains faithful—
for he cannot deny himself.

Remind them of this, and warn them before God that they are to avoid wrangling over words, which does no good but only ruins those who are listening. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved by him, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly explaining the word of truth. Avoid profane chatter, for it will lead people into more and more impiety, and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have swerved from the truth by claiming that the resurrection has already taken place. They are upsetting the faith of some. But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Let everyone who calls on the name of the Lord turn away from wickedness.”

In a large house there are utensils not only of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for special use, some for ordinary. All who cleanse themselves of the things I have mentioned will become special utensils, dedicated and useful to the owner of the house, ready for every good work. Shun youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with stupid and senseless controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, correcting opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth, and that they may escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.
"

Let's parse this shall we? The letter is addressed from St. Paul to St. Timothy. Timothy was serving as a pastor, tradition states that he was bishop of Ephesus. Paul's instruction to Timothy is pastoral, and is intended to instruct his younger protege to the faithful work of a pastor. As a pastor Timothy was to be a bearer of God's word, to have a proper comprehension of the Gospel and to preach that Gospel to the flock entrusted to him.

That is what is meant when Timothy is instructed to "rightly explain" or "rightly divide the word of truth". The "word of truth" is the Gospel. Timothy is instructed to ὀρθοτομοῦντα τὸν λόγον τῆς ἀληθείας, make clear, explain, to make straight the word of truth. The key word is ὀρθοτομέω (orthotomeo) rooted in two words orthos (straight, correct) and tomos (a clean cut); so cutting straight, making clear. It is not about arbitrarily dividing Scripture between something for Jews and something for Christians--that's an artificial definition and an eisegetical act; and has literally no basis in the text. The text, most plainly, is Timothy to be a faithful minister of the Gospel, to pastor, to give no quarter to heretics, and to faithfully dispense those things of his calling to Christ's Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: topcare
Upvote 0