I accepted science. Now life is half what it was.

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Reading some of these comments have made me feel even more miserable.

Thank you to those who aren't completely bonkers.

When you reject Christ, you will feel miserable if God has called you to Him.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I do wish sometimes I could go back to the time when I believed;to feel again the warm glow one receives after praying,after hearing a sermon,after reading passages.

I've learnt the science behind our origins, behind nature,how we came to be. It's irrefutably true,and also wonderful. Elegant. However,learning this has its downsides. It definitely took something out of my life,I'm sure.

I do miss those days when I could believe.

Many of the greatest scientists throughout history have been theists, so there is nothing about science that is contradictory with Christianity. Science if a very useful tool that can tell us all about things that are observable, measurable, and verifiable, but if something doesn't have those characteristics, then science the wrong tool for the job.

I'm not looking to debate,but a creator,all powerful creator,intelligent beyond belief wouldn't care whether I believed in him or not. He wouldn't create a hell for disbelievers

Can you support either of these two claims with science? You said that you rejected God because of science, but then you listed emotional reasons for rejecting God that can't be supported by science. Should the God that created the universe check to make sure that you personally approve of whatever He is planning to do before He does it? If your God would never have disagreed with you about anything, then you might have been worshipping an idealized of yourself instead.

Upvote 0

DD73

Mar 8, 2017
Kangaroo Land
✟917.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I do wish sometimes I could go back to the time when I believed;to feel again the warm glow one receives after praying,after hearing a sermon,after reading passages.

I've learnt the science behind our origins, behind nature,how we came to be. It's irrefutably true,and also wonderful. Elegant. However,learning this has its downsides. It definitely took something out of my life,I'm sure.

That's because science can not tell us the purpose of existence, so you have that gap.

Reactions: dougangel
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You're welcome. :cool:

Upvote 0

DD73

Mar 8, 2017
Kangaroo Land
✟917.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

The mass turns into plasma energy
The plasma energy returns to mass

How many times has this happened in eternity who knows? Mass cannot be destroyed, it merely changes form throughout the universal ages. And it is about due to change form once again...

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. - 2 Peter 3:10

The mass of the universe is about to return to the plasma (E/c2) from whence it was forged. I want to be with God, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and see what he does with all that plasma energy.
You just made a trekies day.

Upvote 0

DD73

Mar 8, 2017
Kangaroo Land
✟917.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Let me share something with you.

People say you are born with nothing and leave the same way, but they are all wrong. You're born with a body that you use, then you must lose that body.

But ask yourself, why is it designed that way? Why be given a temporary physical body by the universe.

The answer is in the details.

Upvote 0

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not looking to debate,but a creator,all powerful creator,intelligent beyond belief wouldn't care whether I believed in him or not. He wouldn't create a hell for disbelievers

Hmmm Your not looking to debate but you are stating your opinions and making truth claims.

God gives us free will.
Light can't mix with darkness.
Is gravity cruel if you fall off a building. Well no, gravity can't think. Just a law of physics has been in acted or put in motion. It's the same with spiritual laws.
God doesn't send anyone to Hell. You send yourself there. God has done everything He possibly can to keep you out of Hell and still leave you as a person with free will and not just a robot. That's the way He made us--after His image, after His likeness, the power to say “yes” or the power to say “no,” the power to reject our own Creator, and of course to take the consequences.

Anyway dear octo99. Read the gospels. Matthew Mark Luke John. Read about Jesus's life, teachings, death, resurrection. Was his claims truth or was he a lying mad man.

• Agree
Reactions: dhh712
Upvote 0

DD73

Mar 8, 2017
Kangaroo Land
✟917.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm Your not looking to debate but you are stating your opinions and making truth claims.

God gives us free will.
Light can't mix with darkness.
Is gravity cruel if you fall off a building. Well no, gravity can't think. Just a law of physics has been in acted or put in motion. It's the same with spiritual laws.
God doesn't send anyone to Hell. You send yourself there. God has done everything He possibly can to keep you out of Hell and still leave you as a person with free will and not just a robot. That's the way He made us--after His image, after His likeness, the power to say “yes” or the power to say “no,” the power to reject our own Creator, and of course to take the consequences.

Anyway dear octo99. Read the gospels. Matthew Mark Luke John. Read about Jesus's life, teachings, death, resurrection. Was his claims truth or was he a lying mad man.
I don't want to start a fight between us, but I'm sure octo has read the gospels.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
You just made a trekies day.

82255-5938859Fr.jpg

Upvote 0

SLB

Mar 5, 2017
Canada
✟16,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you aren't feeling that closeness to God you once knew, guess who moved?
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. He didn't change and He loves you still, just acknowledge that He is who He says He is and believe. After all, it says in 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. The change is instantaneous, but you have to make that first step back to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

You speak as though it has to be one or the other.

As a Christian who fully accepts mainstream science there really isn't a problem that I can see. The only problem arises is when someone insists--wrongly--that there has to be a problem.

Yes, the universe is approximately 14 billion years old and the rapid expansion of the universe that we observe points to what is popularly called the big bang. Yes, the earth formed about 4 billion years ago from the remnant debris from the protoplanetary disc after the formation of our sun. Yes, life seems to have originated about 3 billion years ago, exactly how we don't know, and has been evolving since. We human beings are the product of 3 billion years of evolution and we share a common ancestor with all other living things on this planet. That's all true, that's all corroborated through multiple scientific disciplines, mountains of evidence and observable data.

I'm also a Christian. I believe in one God, who made all things, seen and unseen, in Jesus Christ His only-begotten Son, my Lord who was begotten not in time, but eternity, and is of the same substance as the Father. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, buried, dead, descended into hell, was raised on the third day, was taken into heaven where He sits at the right hand of Father from which He will come again to judge the living and the dead. And in the Holy Spirit, who with the Father and the Son is true God, Lord, giver of life. In the holy catholic Church. In the resurrection of the body. In life everlasting in the age to come. I believe all these things.

There's no contradiction here. The one doesn't exclude the other.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When you reject Christ, you will feel miserable if God has called you to Him.

I suspect that's not the cause of the feeling miserable part.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Elaborate for me.

If I were in the OP's shoes I probably wouldn't be thrilled, if I were attempting to communicate my feelings on this, to have responses that basically amount to: You can't trust objective, empirical reality, you must make your choice between facts and faith. You may not see it that way, because you don't accept what literally every credible scientist has accepted in the last 300 years of human history, the OP does.

"You have to reject science in order to have Christ" would certainly make me feel miserable, not because of conviction by the Holy Spirit, but because my hope of having my faith being reignited would be being quenched.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If I were in the OP's shoes I probably wouldn't be thrilled, if I were attempting to communicate my feelings on this, to have responses that basically amount to: You can't trust objective, empirical reality, you must make your choice between facts and faith. You may not see it that way, because you don't accept what literally every credible scientist has accepted in the last 300 years of human history, the OP does.

"You have to reject science in order to have Christ" would certainly make me feel miserable, not because of conviction by the Holy Spirit, but because my hope of having my faith being reignited would be being quenched.

-CryptoLutheran

Brother this may interest you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Brother this may interest you.

As a rule I'm not interested in Youtube videos peddling crank conspiracy theories and woo. Thanks anyway.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As a rule I'm not interested in Youtube videos peddling crank conspiracy theories and woo. Thanks anyway.

-CryptoLutheran

That's a shame, you can always look at NASA's channel if you dislike the format of information.

Its not conspiracy, hermeticism was important to the scientific revolution?

"Hermeticism is a historiographical phrase describing the work that attempts to reconstruct the mode of thought held by 17th century scientists. It primarily traces out the connections of Renaissance (16th century) modes of thought with those of the Scientific Revolution (17th century). This type of analysis began with English historians of science in the 1960s. This category of history of science work has largely subsumed earlier academic philosophers' work on the problem of transition from Aristotelianism to 17th century science.[1]" Hermeticism (history of science) - Wikipedia

Copernicus, On the Revolution of the Heavenly Spheres (1543), Book 1, ch 10

"In the middle of all sits Sun enthroned. In this most beautiful temple could we place this luminary in any better position from which he can illuminate the whole at once? He is rightly called the Lamp, the Mind, the Ruler of the Universe; Hermes Trismegistus names him the Visible God, Sophocles' Electra calls him the All-seeing. So the Sun sits as upon a royal throne ruling his children the planets which circle round him. The Earth has the Moon at her service. As Aristotle says, in his On [the Generation of] Animals, the Moon has the closest relationship with the Earth. Meanwhile the Earth conceives by the Sun, and becomes pregnant with an annual rebirth."

Copernicus, On the Revolution of the Heavenly Spheres (1543), Book 1, ch 10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We can also look to the ancient pre-Socratics Greek philosophers as being foundational to modern science; but what makes science science is the scientific method, and trying to discredit it by attributing it to something like hermeticism remains nonsense.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We can also look to the ancient pre-Socratics Greek philosophers as being foundational to modern science; but what makes science science is the scientific method, and trying to discredit it by attributing it to something like hermeticism remains nonsense.

-CryptoLutheran

Hope you watch it.

Science is the new Gnosis.

Upvote 0