I accepted science. Now life is half what it was.

octo99

Jul 13, 2014
✟16,131.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I do wish sometimes I could go back to the time when I believed;to feel again the warm glow one receives after praying,after hearing a sermon,after reading passages.

I've learnt the science behind our origins, behind nature,how we came to be. It's irrefutably true,and also wonderful. Elegant. However,learning this has its downsides. It definitely took something out of my life,I'm sure.

I do miss those days when I could believe.

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do wish sometimes I could go back to the time when I believed;to feel again the warm glow one receives after praying,after hearing a sermon,after reading passages.

I've learnt the science behind our origins, behind nature,how we came to be. It's irrefutably true,and also wonderful. Elegant. However,learning this has its downsides. It definitely took something out of my life,I'm sure.

I mean i've taken biology and physics and such and I accept it and i'm a christian.. I mean. Now if you're referring to theories and such... well science after all is basically proving the status quo wrong in a sense or previous conclusions wrong and replacing them with new ones. New discoveries replace the old. I'm not suggesting science isn't reliable overall it really is.

But anyway I see man, honestly if you really feel a tug to go back maybe give christianity another chance. God bless

Reactions: Esopheny
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I can say is remember science is a human thing. Though up by human minds. I'm not saying science is wrong. It has alot of things right like gravity exists and what not. But alot of past the obvious stuff is pretty much guessing and stringing together ideas to make it sound like they know something. For example the big bang is impossible to know about, especially since they say it happened billions of years ago. But they string together various thoughts and together it sounds like it makes sense. But logic would say its truly impossible to know such things.

But to each their own. It is hard being a christian in world that tells you what they think is the real answer to everything. If we go by what science says, then that would mean are lives are totally pointless and what we do won't matter and we will be forgotten. We are just a spec of dust in a massive universe of pointlessness. Sounds like a pretty grim and sad reality to live in. I hope you find your way back though. Well I am assuming you were christian at one point since this is the struggling section. Remember the devil tells us wonderful lies because he knows what we desire. We want to know the answers to things in life, so we turn to science because it answers things where as turn away from God because we don't think the answers are enough to satisfy us.

Upvote 0

octo99

Jul 13, 2014
✟16,131.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
What I can say is remember science is a human thing. Though up by human minds. I'm not saying science is wrong. It has alot of things right like gravity exists and what not. But alot of past the obvious stuff is pretty much guessing and stringing together ideas to make it sound like they know something. For example the big bang is impossible to know about, especially since they say it happened billions of years ago. But they string together various thoughts and together it sounds like it makes sense. But logic would say its truly impossible to know such things.

But to each their own. It is hard being a christian in world that tells you what they think is the real answer to everything. If we go by what science says, then that would mean are lives are totally pointless and what we do won't matter and we will be forgotten. We are just a spec of dust in a massive universe of pointlessness. Sounds like a pretty grim and sad reality to live in. I hope you find your way back though. Well I am assuming you were christian at one point since this is the struggling section. Remember the devil tells us wonderful lies because he knows what we desire. We want to know the answers to things in life, so we turn to science because it answers things where as turn away from God because we don't think the answers are enough to satisfy us.
I was the lousiest of Christians,yet a believer

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why does learning about science take something away from your faith?

There are faithful Christians who believe in evolution and there are faithfull Christians who believe God created over 6 days.
Your faith is not in how life began, but in a God who saves you from the consquences of your rejection of him.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

The idea that science is at opposition to the Christian faith is nothing short of a false dichotomy. Plenty of faithful Christians accept evolution, including myself, accept evolutionary theory, and even the Big Bang theory was theorized by a priest.

Upvote 0

octo99

Jul 13, 2014
✟16,131.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Why does learning about science take something away from your faith?

There are faithful Christians who believe in evolution and there are faithfull Christians who believe God created over 6 days.
Your faith is not in how life began, but in a God who saves you from the consquences of your rejection of him.
I'm not looking to debate,but a creator,all powerful creator,intelligent beyond belief wouldn't care whether I believed in him or not. He wouldn't create a hell for disbelievers

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

The mass turns into plasma energy
The plasma energy returns to mass

How many times has this happened in eternity who knows? Mass cannot be destroyed, it merely changes form throughout the universal ages. And it is about due to change form once again...

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. - 2 Peter 3:10

The mass of the universe is about to return to the plasma (E/c2) from whence it was forged. I want to be with God, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and see what he does with all that plasma energy.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

It's not irrefutably true. God created you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we go by what science says, then that would mean are lives are totally pointless and what we do won't matter and we will be forgotten.

“Invisible before birth are all beings and after death invisible again. They are seen between two unseens. Why in this truth find sorrow?”

- The Bhagavad Gita 2:28

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hello octo99,

Yep, science is a wonderful thing, and depending on how one perceives it, it can lead to some tricky balancing acts when attempting to deal with emotions in the ol' noggin'.

Anyway, welcome to CF! You'll find a lot to talk about here, with all kinds of people.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid :cool:

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I had believed evolution .. The little chart that shows a progression from monkey to fully upright man .. I had thought that was proven fact until I realized it was a lie and there was no link , The link is missing then, now and forever .. Repent and return to the Lord friend , he is waiting to put his arms around you as if you never left .. Do not give place to the devil any longer ..

Upvote 0

SLB

Mar 5, 2017
Canada
✟16,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You choose to believe, or not believe. Feelings are not believing, but if you want that sense of closeness to God, all you have to do is repent and believe. If you refuse to repent, you won't ever be able to believe. I'm not talking about science because what you believe about science doesn't matter to God. There is a world. You're in it. He created it all and how doesn't matter. The point is you're here and God's here. Repent of your unbelief in Him and ask Him to restore your relationship with Him. Then all of those things that you want you'll have back.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

There is one version of Christianity that says science is wrong. Another that says science can be right. Sounds like you believed in the one which was against science all the way. For me, I couldn't believe in that kind of religion either. It wasn't an issue of denying physics and biology to stay a Christian, or jettisoning the faith because I saw something true in the sciences.

You can believe again, but probably not with the same folks who set up the antagonim between science and faith. Try a Catholic church, as we see no final conflict between the faith and good science. You do have other options of course, but the Catholic understanding might work for you. We hold to an older time religion than the old-time religion folks and also see that science can be true when it speaks of the big bang (cf Georges Lematrie, a Catholic priest) or Mendelian genetics (cf monk Gregor Mendel).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dougangel

Regular
Site Supporter
May 7, 2012
New Zealand
✟85,556.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Wow Ok a few points.

Science is a very narrow dimension, part of the human endeavor. That is science doesn't explain everything about life. Love and the spiritual essence of people to name a few. Science does not explain good and evil.
No where in the bible does the bible explain scientific process. There's a lot symbolic prophetic text mixed in with parable stories and history. we can't say it is scientific. God can do things by miracles but I don't think there's enough evidence either way.
Many of the great scientists of the last few hundred years making break throughs in science were Christians. They were looking to see how God did things.
There is matter and energy but God gave man a spiritual nature as well.
We could be pond scum evolved to a higher order. But God designed it and spoke it and added his spiritual nature to man.
Life is ultimately meaningless if we are just chemical reactions and brain cells going off. Life is relative and man has no value in this case. It's only God that can give us and objective absolute value because everything else is just culture and self opinion.

Cheers God bless

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Try a Catholic church, as we see no final conflict between the faith and good science. You do have other options of course, but the Catholic understanding might work for you. We hold to an older time religion than the old-time religion folks and also see that science can be true when it speaks of the big bang (cf Georges Lematrie, a Catholic priest) or Mendelian genetics (cf monk Gregor Mendel).

Please Dont!
Just stay in the Word of God and listen to as many sermons as possible online.

Upvote 0