cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
People dying is the not the worst possible thing that could happen.

Not saying it ain't bad, and not saying that I would be the first to volunteer to get killed, but I do believe that it would be sinful to deny Christ "just" to save someone's life. Of course it would be worse-than-words-can-describe and extremely difficult especially if these people would be one's own loved ones, but then comes the question whom do I love more and what matters more: earthly life or eternal life ?

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Peter, and the rest of the disciples also said those very same words, but when the time finally came, they all ran away. As I said before, it's easy to claim you are ready to be a martyr when no mob with pitch-forks is facing you.
Peter and the rest of the apostles did not truly understand the situation and did not have time to really think about it. If this thought never crossed my mind, then if I was put in the same situation I may have acted the same way because our instinct to survive would come through before we really thought about it. But when you put yourself in that situation in your mind and make a decision on how you would act it is different.

Soldiers train before they go into battle because the first instinct for somebody in that situation would be to run away. If they had never trained then they wouldn't know how to act in that situation. Before a soldiers enters a war he has already made the decision to fight.

After the event these apostles made the decision in their mind that if they were put in the situation again they would not deny him and they would accept whatever happened. This is why they were willing to accept death.

Would you have willingly sacrificed your own life in place of one of those Nairobi mall victims who were tortured before being killed by Muslim extremists? And by tortured, I mean, having balls, eyes, ears, nose fingers etc cut off slowly.
If the terrorists told me to deny Jesus then I would refuse. I don't care what would happen to me after that. I can't control what they will do to me but it doesn't change anything. I would have made my decision and I can't control what happens after that.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter and the rest of the apostles did not truly understand the situation and did not have time to really think about it. If this thought never crossed my mind, then if I was put in the same situation I may have acted the same way because our instinct to survive would come through before we really thought about it. But when you put yourself in that situation in your mind and make a decision on how you would act it is different.

Soldiers train before they go into battle because the first instinct for somebody in that situation would be to run away. If they had never trained then they wouldn't know how to act in that situation. Before a soldiers enters a war he has already made the decision to fight.

After the event these apostles made the decision in their mind that if they were put in the situation again they would not deny him and they would accept whatever happened. This is why they were willing to accept death.

If the terrorists told me to deny Jesus then I would refuse. I don't care what would happen to me after that. I can't control what they will do to me but it doesn't change anything. I would have made my decision and I can't control what happens after that.

Also, it was prior to Pentecost when Peter et al denied Christ. After Pentecost, however, they held their ground and were picked off one by one... except John, of course, who didn't have the privilege of being martyred.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"Likewise said all the other disciples" ^_^
Did they understand the situation and think about it before the time came? No. Everybody would have acted the same way if thrown into a situation like that.

But after that they already made the decision that if the same situation presented itself then they would refuse to deny Jesus. This is why Christians have accepted Martyrdom for thousands of years. The apostles showed us what fate we might suffer and now that we have that knowledge we can make our decision beforehand.

Upvote 0

MercyandFaith

Dec 25, 2012
✟22,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Very well put.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did they understand the situation and think about it before the time came? No. Everybody would have acted the same way if thrown into a situation like that.

But after that they already made the decision that if the same situation presented itself then they would refuse to deny Jesus. This is why Christians have accepted Martyrdom for thousands of years. The apostles showed us what fate we might suffer and now that we have that knowledge we can make our decision beforehand.

Jesus told them it was written

Mark 14:27 And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

Then they all said how they would be heros for him and took off

Now when another girds them they could go where they would not in their own strength.

Someone could make a bold claim (as noble as it sounds) and we can sit around and say wow, this guy is ready to be tossed off a bridge for Jesus. Its all about when the time comes whats revealed to both them and others concerning whether they lived up to that claim or not.

Id have no trouble believing it if I saw it, but I dont think anyone should believe a mans claims concerning himself, they are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: Lion King
Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The bold part doesn't really make sense, since Peter and the disciples were forewarned by Christ that they would all deny Him before men. Peter certainly had time to think about it.

Anyway, if you are this sure of yourself, then your faith is truly strong indeed!!! Praise the LORD.:clap:

As for me, I hope and pray that I never have to face such a situation, because I wouldn't know what I would do.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0