Trusting & amp; amp; amp;
Mar 9, 2008
Jersey Shore
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 Peter 5:8 Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

I don't think the bible speaks to hypnosis. So my personal conviction on this matter is just that, my own. First thing, I don't know the origins or mechanics of hypnosis. I don't feel comfortable personally with hypnosis from the little I do know, so I haven't educated myself on this. A quick google tells leads me to suggest any believer who is interested in pursuing hypnosis should do some study first to decide for themselves if it's a practice that God wants them to do.

The idea of being open to suggestion subconsciously (if I understand the mechanics correctly) to me would rule it out for me. We are called to be sober minded and alert because of the enemy.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What are some of your guys and gals thoughts on a Christian using hypnosis to deal with problems in their lives?

Christian Hypnosis is a Field that is not very popular at all, but it exists. I share the same concern the Poster above me made regarding Hypnosis, however i personally cant see anything wrong with hypnosis conducted by a seasoned CHristian Professional who incorporates distinctives such as Gods Word, Gods power, who we are in Christ, our Godly inheritance , and asking the Lord to work his power in the life of another. This way, the person is FILLING their Mind with Godly ideologies/constructs instead of emptying the Mind for Satan to temporarily occupy.

My good Friend, Carol, was a smoker for 20 plus years and went to a Christian Hypnotic Professional in N.W. FLorida and was instantly cured from smoking...never had another cigarette and in fact didnt have a desire for it either. I believe she paid a total of $500 in visits which is a meager sum of money for what she recieved by God working thru this CHristian Professional. If you are in the FLorida area, i can get the Professionals name and phone number for you...She practices out of the Destin, Fl. area which is 1 hour from Pensacola, Fl.

Reactions: Teamo
Upvote 0

StarBright

Where am I going and why am I in this basket??
Feb 21, 2013
✟700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think hypnosis should always be used in conjunction with ongoing therapy or counseling. I know it can be very useful and successful in dealing with addictions, phobias, and past traumas. I've never done it, I would honestly be scared to try it, I don't want my brain doing anything that I'm not in control of. I'm not against it, though. I don't think it's sinful or against God in any way, it's simply an intense form of psychiatric treatment. That being said, I don't think it should ever be done casually or with someone who isn't fully investigated and trusted.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hypnosis, when used correctly, works. It allows someone to talk directly to your subconscious mind, and "download" something into it(think "Inception"). Hypnosis cannot be used to break any morals you have now, so don't worry. No one can hypnotize you into having sex with them or killing someone. The power of persuasion only works on things your conscious mind wants to change. This is why magicians make you do funny things, not weird things. Your conscious mind can still "block" signals to your subconscious if it goes against pre-established morals/ideas/whatever. Hypnosis is safe, to be honest.

Upvote 0

brokenandhumbled

Let us go into the house of the Lord (Psalm 122)
Nov 18, 2007
United Kingdom
✟10,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am afraid that I am going against the grain here but I feel very strongly about this. I do not believe that a Christian should involve themselves in the practice of Hypnotism. In my own experience it is a very dangerous thing indeed. I was, when a new believer taken in by a friends advice when struggling depression and anxiety.

In desperation, I went along and was hypnotised by a so called accredited professional hypno-therapist. At first I felt great and thought it had helped but then a week or so later, I realised that things were not as they should be. I began to have nightmares and terrible mood swings. Then, I noticed that I lost interest in studying the Word. I stopped praying, in fact found that I could not pray and even found going to Church was no longer a pleasure.

I became short tempered and suffered terrible anxiety attacks and sudden bouts of overwhelming suffocating fear which would randomly strike. Day by day I became more and more depressed until I could not cope. I tried to pray but simply could not and in desperation I spoke about this to a Christian friend. I told her that I had been seeing a hypnotherapist and immediately she prayed over me. As she did I felt this intense internal struggle inside and then as she commanded spirits to leave in Jesus name this terrible heaviness that had come upon me just vanished! I was left feeling so different. I was free of what ever it was! I felt lighter and my Joy in the Lord returned!

It had come through the hypnosis and I praise God that He sent my friend who had discernment to see what was behind it. Now, looking back, I cannot believe how stupid I was to get involved in something so dangerous. I KNEW that these things were not right for a Christian to do because I came out of the “New age” scene and yet I allowed others to persuade me that it was Ok because they were Christians. Not so! Just because other Christians say it is OK, does not mean that it is!

Hypnosis has its origins in Eastern meditative practices. Even if the practitioner is claiming to be a Christian, it does not make it a safe practice. The spirit behind it is still the same as that that sprang from Eastern meditative practices. When we allow ourselves to be put into an altered state of consciousness we open the door for spirits to enter and we are then in spiritual danger. Christians should never allow themselves to be placed into a trance like state or an altered state of consciousness, whether fully or partly. We are to have the mind of Christ and be sober of spirit, fixing our eyes upon Jesus the Author and finisher of our faith.

I know that many will disagree but I am speaking of my own experience and I for one would never recommend hypnotism nor any other practice that sets ones mind into a trance like state or an altered state of consciousness.
Please consider carefully before entering into such things and most of all please PRAY for wisdom and discernment and certainly for Gods protection upon you in such things.

Therefore, gird your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:13).

The steadfast of mind Thou wilt keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in Thee (Isaiah 26:3).

I pray that God will lead you into the truth concerning this and that you will know HIs healing hand upon you as you seek His face. Amen

Last edited:
Upvote 0