Husband incapable of emotional intimacy...

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there. My husband and I have been married for a year and a half now, and it's starting to become clear that he is not capable of giving me the emotional intimacy that I need.

Similar time as my husband and I. By emotional intimacy what specifically do you want?

We've talked about this so many times that I feel like I'm beating a dead horse. I purchased a book for him which explained in great detail what it is that women need from their husbands and why. He read the entire thing and claims to have understood it. Every time I bring it up, he musters up some of what I need, just enough to "fix" me, and then goes back to normal. Which only proves even further that he does understand what I'm talking about.

Maybe it is just not "him". What was he like when you first met?

From what I can tell, his father was the exact same way, if not worse. We've talked about this as well, he agreed, and it didn't change anything.

He is the same way in all of his relationships, completely unable to open up emotionally or share any part of himself. He has no close friendships, probably never has.

What about his family? Is he close to them? I ask because he just may be picky about who he shares things with. My husband does not have many close friendships either and while I listen to my close friends problems I don't share emotionally at all with them. We were and still are however very close to our families.

I would be worried just like you if I married a person who could not form a bond with anyone. hmmm. If I might ask, what were his reasons for marriage?

I think I can relate in a way because before I married I thought I never would. There were many reasons but I didn't feel I could bond with someone enough to be married. What you describe seems to be a far more personal issue-well a problem when you are married. Not sure if my experience can help you.

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try being direct..includign tellign him pouting.."acting angry" and giving you the "cold shoulder' isnt going to change or help the istuation only make it worse..Write him an email..that way you can word thigns the wa you want and he can read it and not have ot respond right away..

I actually did do both of these things when that particular incident happened. It resulted in another temporary half-hearted effort on his part to "fix" me. Things went back to normal a few days later.

Tell him the truth..HOW YOU FEEL about me beign disenterested in sex is how I ALREADY feel from our lack of non sexual relations before you even try and touch me.REJECTED and shut out...I can NOT turn off and on like a light switch..its NOT there for me to give OR withold its ABSENT due to again the lack of bonding in every other area BESIDES sex..Hes askign you to CREATE like magic a bond between you on your OWN that you can then express through sex and thats not possible..you cant bond with the air..and its unhelathy to live in a fantasy..which is the only other way for you to do it..liek an "actress" a sex worker..dissassociating from reality to get through it...

I would tell him you can WASTE your energy if you want beign angry and IGNORING what Im tellign you if you please thats up to you ..but I will not be harranged and hassled and coerced and bullied into having sex with you.So give it up..in the meantime Im OPEN to working on this with you but I can not do it alone..and I will NOT thrive in the bedroom until the outside of the bedroom the other NINETY NINE % of the time spent together is adressed..thats a fact..deal with it..LET me know what you think..because I WANT a healthy vibrant sex life TOO..Im telling YOU what I need from you to create then nurture that atmosphere..But dont expect me to GIVE whats NOT THERE in the meantime..and kicking and screaming wont endear me to you at all..just dig the deeper hole..

Dallas

That was well put. I will try explaining it in that way, maybe he'll be able to relate better. I can't help but feel like I've been around that mountain too though, in so many words.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Through most of their brain development, how quickly do you expect this to change, Overnight, in a month, or over multiple years?

This is what I tried to relay in my original post to her..learned behavior from childhhood is like a groove on a record album.the needle follows that pathway smoothly.sure he can create a new groove..but he has to want to ..and he has to practice it and wear the groove in over time..just like it took for the first grooves..and new grooves are harder to create..

The only other thing is she also is "set" in her brain development..and thier brains sound like they arent matching close enouhg..or complimenting each other they are at odds... thats why shes in this conflict and distress in the first place..IOW she also cant just IGNORE her natural inclinations and needs how her brain patterns are set....she should however be prepared to BEND stretch and expand on herself..Im just saying her 'grooves" are in place too..not really fair for her to have it skipping and the needle bumping off the record in her mind and her marriage trying to conform to his only...or just live with the discomfort of having the main person in your life..and especially the one you have to have sex with(passionate sex none the less) when it feels liek its "against your grain" the entire time..

They will both have to budge a little..or heck even a lot..and have a LOT of patience and be prepared to put TIME into it..

Dallas

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, thanks for responding...

Similar time as my husband and I. By emotional intimacy what specifically do you want?

I think most of all, I would like for him to remember the things that I say to him when I share the deep things of my heart (so I can at least feel like he's caring enough to listen), and I would like for him to share the things that are in his heart with me. Some form of a romantic relationship would be nice too.

Maybe it is just not "him". What was he like when you first met?

He was this way when we met.

What about his family? Is he close to them? I ask because he just may be picky about who he shares things with. My husband does not have many close friendships either and while I listen to my close friends problems I don't share emotionally at all with them. We were and still are however very close to our families.

He's not close to them at all. I don't get the impression that he's ever shared anything personal with any of them, ever. Interestingly, his Grandmother left her profession as a math teacher to become a family and marriage therapist. Hmm...

I would be worried just like you if I married a person who could not form a bond with anyone. hmmm. If I might ask, what were his reasons for marriage?

Well, I'm sure he feels "bonded" to me to a degree. We enjoy our time together, and get along just fine, but our relationship doesn't have very much depth. Although, I'm sure it has more depth than any of his other relationships do.

I think I can relate in a way because before I married I thought I never would. There were many reasons but I didn't feel I could bond with someone enough to be married. What you describe seems to be a far more personal issue-well a problem when you are married. Not sure if my experience can help you.

Yeah, this is definitely a problem that he's had for quite some time, that is starting to spill over into his marriage now. I guess that we were fine at first because of the excitement and newness of our marriage, but obviously a marriage can't survive on that forever. Also, the issue escalated 8 months ago when we had our son, simply because it increased the emotional pressure on both of us. I guess its really forcing us to see this issue.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I actually did do both of these things when that particular incident happened. It resulted in another temporary half-hearted effort on his part to "fix" me. Things went back to normal a few days later.

That was well put. I will try explaining it in that way, maybe he'll be able to relate better. I can't help but feel like I've been around that mountain too though, in so many words.
This is from that book:

There are eleven hallmarks that identify the Passive-Aggressive personality disorder.

1. Fear of Dependency

2. Fear of Intimacy

3. Fear of Competition

4. Obstructionism

5. Fostering Chaos

6. Feeling Victimized

7. Making Excuses and Lying

8. Procrastination

9. Chronic lateness & Forgetfulness

10. Ambiguity

11. Sulking

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is from that book:

There are eleven hallmarks that identify the Passive-Aggressive personality disorder.

1. Fear of Dependency

2. Fear of Intimacy

3. Fear of Competition

4. Obstructionism

5. Fostering Chaos

6. Feeling Victimized

7. Making Excuses and Lying

8. Procrastination

9. Chronic lateness & Forgetfulness

10. Ambiguity

11. Sulking

That's interesting, I've never even heard of this before. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, you live with what you vowed before man and God.

She is living with it..shes not dead..so shes definately alive..and she hasnt left him so shes living with it..Unfortunately though unless he starts to actively CARE that shes not conntent they will both be living with her unhappiness..doesnt sound like thats working great for him either..note his sulking givign HER the cold shoulder acting angry at her?Yep they are BOTH living with thier choice.

The fact that she sees an issue..and is trying to get him to work with her on it..is NOT 'not living with it'..

Dallas

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
IMO....God approves of your pursuit of improvement.

I discovered this series a while back....it's titled the Theology of the Body. This specific video is 6 min long, but if you don't want to watch the entire thing the first time, what I'm wanting to point out is about 5 minutes in.

Theology of the Body: Into the Heart: "The Truth About Lust" - YouTube

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Praying that God would open your spouses eyes and move in them to make them CARE that they are hurting you in a significant way and that brings about a change in them that makes the the couple(both of them) better able to be ONE in harmony together isnt "givign up"..in fact that shows faith that God can and does care about her and her marriage..

Dallas
Exactly. Also.....IMO....the OP isn't trying to "change her husband" she's wishing for their marriage to be improved.....for her to be able to be open to him sexually, and he more open to her emotionally. She's already said she's not trying to transform him.....just the way he relates to her. There's a distinct difference there that ought to be recognized.

I've been JUST where the OP is now, at about that time in our marriage (actually much sooner in--on our honeymoon) and the typical response I got was just like a lot of responses she's getting, "you can't expect a man to be like a woman" (neither of us were)....."men just don't relate like woman do" (that's not true, it's not a woman's trait to relate to others----men CAN and are actually instructed to in 1st Peter 3:7-specifically to do just that or else their prayers are hindered).....and "you are being too idealistic......marriage isn't LIKE that....no one is perfect" (I was never looking for perfection---I would have needed to step out of the equation myself, if that's what I was expecting, but there's a lot of room between what the OP is describing and "perfection")........and so one gets dragged through accepting the mediocrity of the status quo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right on MK! Its so true..it goes from almost ANY mention of needing emotionally more GIVE on that end NOT outside the realms of very resonable and healthy and heck..even logical turns into "stop trying to make him into a woman"..I mean even if the guy is PARALYZED in fear to SHOW emotion when its on the brink then its trying to HELP him in a sense as far as Im concerined is the LOVING thing to do..will BENEFIT thier relationship and marraige over the long haul..

Also as to the praying that God help YOU not the other one?YES MAM/SIR! I agree in fact ..we should ALL strive to be in CONTINUOUS prayer and in thanks and gratitude rejoicing ..and thanking and asking for help to do better and THHANK you again and dear God what should i do ..or dear God im sorry for this and dear LORD thank you for this fresh honey dew melon and on and on ...

This would be more and and dear GOD I have a special request ..Please GUIDE my husband right now and FILL IN THE BLANK what you believe would help him ..AMEN!

So yeah ..dont 'just look at him" by all means thats not what i suggested..

Dallas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gabrielle2012

Feb 28, 2012
✟15,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a HUGE difference in expecting that your husband is your identicle twin but in a man body..and wanting in speicific and REALISTIC and healthy ways a level of intimacy besides groping in between silence ..or having a converstaion with your spouse who is staring into space over your head with glazed over eyes..who cant even repeat what you just said to them because of some lame over exagerated excuse that "thats the way men are"...

Its obvious at the very LEAST we have to understand even among the sexes we are ALL so very different..or else every man would just LOVE and enjoy the company of every other man(unless he was gay according to you ) and every woman would just LOVE and embrace the company of every other woman...(unless she was a lesbien I suppose?)...Our MAIN differences lie in HOW we were raised and our LIFE experiences...then its our gentics...then its a base line starting with any wiring from birth between the sexes...

I think its completely absurd ..when a woman starts talking about emotional intimacy outside of bed to accuse her that shes execting him to be a "woman"..Or else NO MAN and woman would ever achieive it(an emotional connection of the MINDS through NON sexual communication ) and I have numerous examples I could give of MEN that arent GAY ..that have an interest in thier wifes thoughts and feeligns and a deisre to know them...as well as if you just look throughout history..some of the most deep and emotional WRITINGS in the form of poetry and philosophy of understanding OTHER human beings but starting with undertanding themselves are MEN.

Then you said it.."maybe you are wired differently than most women"..thats insinuting what?YOU are more like a man?Well what a lucky guy your husband is I suppose...

Good grief...

Dallas

Just wanted to thank you for taking my words out of context & twisting them. I did not expect to have to defend myself from the women here. Really hurtful words... thanks. :( Felt real nice.

Read the previous sentence -- some women DO expect men to think & have the same emotions as women. Have you read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"? Books like that get written because some men think that women are like men emotionally & some women think that men are like women emotionally & they need to understand the differences & how to better relate. I did say "men I know" not men you know, all men, or even most men. I was talking from own my personal experience.

I have a healthy, strong, fulfilling relationship with my husband. Sometimes he has to point out things to me that I do & I have to do the same with him. His eyes don't glaze over when we talk. He holds me & makes me feel loved. I feel safe, happy & content in his strong arms. Our level of intimacy is perfect for us both in and out of bed. We relish our differences. We are complementary. I am just as female & feminine as he is male & masculine.

Which brings me to my next point -- I was insinuating nothing. I knew from reading other posts that my opinion was different than the other women who had previously replied. I've been called a lot of things, but never been told that I was like a man, masculine, manly or anything of that nature. My husband does consider himself lucky, but not like YOU insinuated. I won't even pretend to understand what you meant, but it felt nasty & hurtful, Dallas. :(

From some of the other posts -- I have a daughter AND a son. I have nieces AND nephews - including twins that are a boy & a girl. From both my observation & the twins' parents boy babies are totally different than girl babies. Nature versus nurture is a hotly debated topic. Some things are inherent from birth other than simply anatomy. The comments on this have been from people who have experience with sons & grandsons, but no daughters to compare this to. ALSO... My son's emotions are not stifled. I've never told him boys don't cry, in fact I've encouraged him TO cry. As I said, I have to draw him out to help him express some feelings.

My recommendation to the OP was that she and her husband try to find middle ground. I also said I hoped not to offend her with my different perspective. I reiterate this.

Sorry for the derail, but I'm trying to explain myself. I was certainly not trying to offend anyone.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
donnamabob,

Some of the ways you describe the problem seem vague to me. You wrote,

It's not that he doesn't talk, he'll talk my ear off about any kind of surface subject, but the second the conversation goes below the surface, he shuts down entirely.
What does 'below the surface' mean? How do you categorize discussion as surface or below the surface? Is it like if he talks about how smooth his new truck changes gears, that's surface, but if he talks about his inner wounds as a child, that's below the surface? Does talking about values, goals, dreams, or anything personal qualify as below the surface?

I wonder if your husband doesn't know what you want, exactly, or just doesn't feel able to give it. If my wife wanted me to have conversation with her that was more 'deep', I'd be unsure what she meant, and I would need a lot more detail. You mentioned a book. Did the book hit on the exact types of behaviors and conversation topics you want to talk about with him? Did you explain to him in detail what exactly you would like for him to open up about? If you ask him a question, and he responds, is that okay with you, or would you only be satisfied if he voluntarily shared about his feelings, goals, values, or other personal things without your having to ask questions to get it out of him?

He may feel like he says what is on his mind, and wonder why you aren't satisfied with his just being himself. Have you asked him if he is frustrated by your attempts at asking for intimate conversation? Well, maybe he wouldn't feel comfortable talking about his feelings. Do you get the feeling he is trying to be a good husband but just doesn't get what you want from him, or feels like you are asking him to be something that he can't be? Or do you get the sense that he just doesn't care? If he shuts down when conversation about painful topics comes up, that's probably just the way he's trained to be, and probably doesn't realize he can act another way. He's probably not thinking, "I'm not going to open up for this women. I know she wants me to, but I'm going to hold out on her. Bwahahaha."

If someone were to ask me what my mood is or how I am feeling right now, I wouldn't know how to respond. I just feel regular and normal. I suppose I could say I feel engaged, too, since I am writing this message. But I don't have a lot of emotional words to describe my state right now. Ask me after a joke and I might be able to say more. I wonder if women come up with more adjectives when asked questions like that.

He literally will not say a word. I've seen tears well up in his eyes, but a word will not leave his lips. He's terrified, and it was always this way with us, so I know that it wasn't something that I did to put him in that state. I see that his father is this way as well, so it's no surprise where he learned it. It took me awhile to even know for certain that he had feelings in there at all, and I've struggled with the idea that he may have a personality disorder. I don't believe that he does, but I have wondered.
I've got a relative who married a man who is very quiet and doesn't seem to show much emotion. He doesn't seem to have a lot of empathy about certain things. Overall, he is a nice guy though. I wonder if he has Asburgers (sp?) a mild form of autism. I thought about that about your husband when I first read your post, but I don't think the holding back tears thing sounds like Asburgers. I'm not a clinical psychologist or trained counselor, so I don't know, either.

If your husband had some kind of personality disorder, would it make you feel better?

Keep praying for your husband. But pray for yourself also. Maybe the Lord could do a work in your heart to make you happy and content with your husband in spite of the fact that some aspects of his personality don't measure up to the desires you had entering marriage. Try to be the best wife you can be. If he does not do some things that would please you, don't hold out on him in the bedroom or in other areas of your life and say, "Your not going to get any of this unless you tell me how you felt when your dog died" or something like that. :o. It doesn't do much good entertaining those thoughts of "Oh no, now I have to live my entire life with someone who is not X. I will never get to experience X in my whole life." In your case X is intimate conversation. Other people have other things they can fill in for X. The devil can use that type of thinking to discourage us. Be content with what you have, and pray to God for your husband to have wisdom to love you in the way that you need to be loved.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't mean to derail further, but I am hoping it's okay if I address this one issue that keeps coming up....."Sometimes you just have to realize that men and women are different."

Just like I have it quoted in my "signature" at the bottom of my posts---PEOPLE are all different. Men and women ARE different, but that doesn't mean ALL men are the same as each other....and all women are the same. That's really a bur in my saddle, and I hate to hear that as a beginning premise. Like I posted earlier...that kept me from seeing the truth for decades.

The one thing that Donna has disclosed is that she's having difficulty being physically intimate and her husband SEEMS to be punishing her for that. That's not HEALTHY and NORMAL behavior. IMO....that is what the main issue is....if all conflict is going to be avoided and then the other spouse is going to punished, it's not going to bode well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I can tell, his father was the exact same way, if not worse. We've talked about this as well, he agreed, and it didn't change anything.

He is the same way in all of his relationships, completely unable to open up emotionally or share any part of himself. He has no close friendships, probably never has.

This screams some form of Autism Spectrum Disorder to me, especially that his father was the same if not worse. Traits often run in families.

I am the same way. I have no close friends. My husband and I both have Asperger's syndrome, and while we're both to the point where looking at us you wouldn't necessarily notice anything different, one of the highlights of the disorder can be (but not in all cases) an inability to really bond or form close relationships. I have had one close friend in my life, the rest of the people I know are relegated to "acquaintance" level. I never bonded to my family, and the only reason I was able to bond as close as I have to my husband is because we were similar in interests and disabilities.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

This screams some form of Autism Spectrum Disorder to me, especially that his father was the same if not worse. Traits often run in families.

this :thumbsup:

I would suggest finding out if you guys can talk with a therapist and also go to counseling.

IF it is ASD, there are different ways to address this.

MY DH is on the spectrum, but he is emotionally available most of the time. He HAS emotions. It's how he channels them, how he will hyper focus on other things instead of things he doesn't like to do/see/hear as if they'll magically disappear if he ignores it.

He will address the issue off and on with me, but is not interested in counseling, which is fine right now - because we can in general come to a compromise. :)

DH is one of those ASD folks that does not like change. As much as he was enthralled with the idea of being pregnant, having the children threw such a kink in his parade that it was terribly upsetting to him, though he loves our children very much. It took a couple months of adjustment before he could focus on either me or the children instead of himself. And now, he does pretty much 95% of the night-time parenting, and plans trips with the kids on the weekends. It was his idea that we co-sleep... and for the most part it's worked out much better than the alternative for our family.

My brother, and two of my cousins and my father are all ASD. Some have other issues, but as a whole I "get" ASD differently than some other people do. I find shows like The Big Bang Theory not only comforting, but hilarious - because it is really a part of the world I grew up in. I don't expect people to act that way outside of the ASD corner of the world.

I do believe there are issues at play here, but it sounds like a trip to the doctor, possibly a couple referrals and some counseling will be in better order than online fora responses.

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, thank you for responding...

donnamabob,

Some of the ways you describe the problem seem vague to me. You wrote,

What does 'below the surface' mean? How do you categorize discussion as surface or below the surface? Is it like if he talks about how smooth his new truck changes gears, that's surface, but if he talks about his inner wounds as a child, that's below the surface? Does talking about values, goals, dreams, or anything personal qualify as below the surface?

Yes, if he were to talk about his inner wounds as a child, that would be below the surface in my opinion. I would say that values,goals, dreams and personal things qualify as below the surface, but I suppose there are different "depths" to this. I think that that what I am longing for, is for him to disclose things to me that he wouldn't also feel comfortable disclosing to an acquaintance. Ultimately, I long for him to disclose things to me that he wouldn't tell anyone else. I assume that is one of the things that gives people a sense of closeness and trust in relationships.

I wonder if your husband doesn't know what you want, exactly, or just doesn't feel able to give it. If my wife wanted me to have conversation with her that was more 'deep', I'd be unsure what she meant, and I would need a lot more detail.

I know what you mean, and I think that you bring up a really good point. I think that he does know what I want, because I really have gone to great lengths to explain it, but I think that he doesn't feel able to give it. Do you think that maybe asking him specific questions might get the ball rolling a bit more? For example, if I ask him to sing to our baby, and he freezes up and becomes awkward about it (which has happened) - should I just flat out ask him if he's freezing up because he's afraid that I will criticize him? I would typically not do that because I wouldn't want him to feel even worse about it, but maybe I should?

You mentioned a book. Did the book hit on the exact types of behaviors and conversation topics you want to talk about with him? Did you explain to him in detail what exactly you would like for him to open up about? If you ask him a question, and he responds, is that okay with you, or would you only be satisfied if he voluntarily shared about his feelings, goals, values, or other personal things without your having to ask questions to get it out of him?
The book was very specific, I did read it before him to ensure it was sending the exact message that I wanted it to. It was Eric Ludy's "Gods Gift to Women". It didn't hit on every single topic of concern, but it was a great overview. I know that he at least enjoyed the book because he quoted it a few times during our "surface" conversation. I guess that's a good sign, that he was even willing to talk about the fact that he read it.

He may feel like he says what is on his mind, and wonder why you aren't satisfied with his just being himself. Have you asked him if he is frustrated by your attempts at asking for intimate conversation?
At this point, I know that he is not frustrated with me, but rather with himself because he is unable to express things to me that he wishes he could. He has mentioned that he is not sure what he even feels anymore, and that he knows this is a result of supressing his emotions for his entire life. I sort of translated that to mean that it is difficult for him to speak things if he cannot put them into words - which does make me feel a little better, and helps me to not take it personally at least.

Well, maybe he wouldn't feel comfortable talking about his feelings. Do you get the feeling he is trying to be a good husband but just doesn't get what you want from him, or feels like you are asking him to be something that he can't be? Or do you get the sense that he just doesn't care? If he shuts down when conversation about painful topics comes up, that's probably just the way he's trained to be, and probably doesn't realize he can act another way. He's probably not thinking, "I'm not going to open up for this women. I know she wants me to, but I'm going to hold out on her. Bwahahaha."

I know that he is trying to be a good husband, and I know that he is frustrated because he is concentrating his efforts in areas that do not need attention. For example, often times after we have a "conversation" about this (more like, I talk, he listens)...he'll go into "chore mode" and do all of my housework. I can't complain when he starts cleaning toilets...but it's not solving anything. He cares a great deal, and he truly is a wonderful person, and I know this is breaking his heart. I know that it is the way he was trained to be, and I know that it isn't healthy for anyone who has any kind of a relationship with him, and most of all it's unhealthy for him who has to live completely alone within his own mind. Honestly though, even though I know better, often times I can't help but feel like he doesn't care. I have to constantly remind myself that he does, but is expressing it in different ways right now.

If someone were to ask me what my mood is or how I am feeling right now, I wouldn't know how to respond. I just feel regular and normal. I suppose I could say I feel engaged, too, since I am writing this message. But I don't have a lot of emotional words to describe my state right now. Ask me after a joke and I might be able to say more. I wonder if women come up with more adjectives when asked questions like that.

There's probably truth to that in general, and I'm sure that varies from guy to guy as well. I guess that women are used to talking about how they feel, and listening to other women describe how they feel, so these words are constantly floating around in our heads.

I've got a relative who married a man who is very quiet and doesn't seem to show much emotion. He doesn't seem to have a lot of empathy about certain things. Overall, he is a nice guy though. I wonder if he has Asburgers (sp?) a mild form of autism. I thought about that about your husband when I first read your post, but I don't think the holding back tears thing sounds like Asburgers. I'm not a clinical psychologist or trained counselor, so I don't know, either.
I did a lot of research on aspergers and autism when I first started to become aware of this issue, and I honestly don't think that is the case with him at this point (for similar reasons as the tears in his eyes). My husband is highly intelligent though. He's 24 years old and already has a two bachelors degrees and a masters degree in electrical/electric power engineering, and has already been promoted in one of the top companies in the country. It seems like he did all of this with his eyes closed because it just comes so naturally to him.

If your husband had some kind of personality disorder, would it make you feel better?

I don't know if "better" is the right word. I guess it would just make me feel like I have more direction in how to deal with this, like where to get information that I can more easily apply, or find support from other wives in the same boat.

Keep praying for your husband. But pray for yourself also. Maybe the Lord could do a work in your heart to make you happy and content with your husband in spite of the fact that some aspects of his personality don't measure up to the desires you had entering marriage.

I certainly am, even though someone on the thread was suggesting that I am not. I pray to the Lord that he will teach me how to not let my emotions control my behavior. I pray that he will teach me how to find my joy and contentment in Him, and not need to look to any man to feel emotionally fulfilled, even though I know that the Lord would be pleased to see a marriage that is emotionally fulfilling. The Lord is teaching me, over time, that I can feel terrible inside and still put a smile on my face and be cheery. He's showing me that when I feel tempted to try to manipulate my husband into giving me what I need (just like he does to me), that I can instead make a choice to do something nice for him (like bring in fire wood because he hates doing that). The Lord is showing me so many places that I can use this time as an opportunity to improve my character, and I'm doing everything that I can to work with him to use it to mold me into the best Christian that I can be. (Romans 8:18 "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."). I find that talking to people about this, and letting it all out into the light helps me tremendously in this area. I did tell my husband that I'm talking about this on the forum also, he said that he is glad that I'm getting some support in my struggles and that it doesn't bother him.

Try to be the best wife you can be. If he does not do some things that would please you, don't hold out on him in the bedroom or in other areas of your life and say, "Your not going to get any of this unless you tell me how you felt when your dog died" or something like that. :o. It doesn't do much good entertaining those thoughts of "Oh no, now I have to live my entire life with someone who is not X. I will never get to experience X in my whole life." In your case X is intimate conversation. Other people have other things they can fill in for X. The devil can use that type of thinking to discourage us. Be content with what you have, and pray to God for your husband to have wisdom to love you in the way that you need to be loved.

I know, and I agree completely. I asked the Lord why the bible says that we should not with hold ourselves from one another physically, even when it feels so terrible - and I believe that he gave me a really simple answer. I believe that he said "because it will just make things even worse". That made sense to me, because the last thing I need right now is for my husband to fall into sexual sin on top of everything.

Thanks for all of your help here. I really appreciate you asking me questions, because it helps me to think about things from other perspectives.

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am the same way. I have no close friends. My husband and I both have Asperger's syndrome, and while we're both to the point where looking at us you wouldn't necessarily notice anything different, one of the highlights of the disorder can be (but not in all cases) an inability to really bond or form close relationships. I have had one close friend in my life, the rest of the people I know are relegated to "acquaintance" level. I never bonded to my family, and the only reason I was able to bond as close as I have to my husband is because we were similar in interests and disabilities.

Thanks for responding. I have done some research on these disorders, and I'm not 100% convinced that this isn't the problem, or the problem to some degree. Like I mentioned in another one of my responses, my husband is highly intelligent, and I know that is a common characteristic of these disorders. However, I have seen enough emotion and empathy come from him to lean more towards the possibility that he is just unable to express or translate into words what he is feeling. I think that we're going to have to bring this to a councilor at this point, because if there is some kind of disability here that is further complicating our progress, I don't know enough to figure out what it is or how to deal with it properly. Thanks again :)

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this :thumbsup:

I would suggest finding out if you guys can talk with a therapist and also go to counseling.

IF it is ASD, there are different ways to address this.

MY DH is on the spectrum, but he is emotionally available most of the time. He HAS emotions. It's how he channels them, how he will hyper focus on other things instead of things he doesn't like to do/see/hear as if they'll magically disappear if he ignores it.

This is exactly what my husband does. He even told me last night that he purposely puts effort into ignoring things. He used the example of getting a bad grade on his schoolwork as a child. He said that he would refuse to look up the correct answers, because he wanted to ignore the fact that he got the answer wrong in the first place.

DH is one of those ASD folks that does not like change. As much as he was enthralled with the idea of being pregnant, having the children threw such a kink in his parade that it was terribly upsetting to him, though he loves our children very much. It took a couple months of adjustment before he could focus on either me or the children instead of himself. And now, he does pretty much 95% of the night-time parenting, and plans trips with the kids on the weekends. It was his idea that we co-sleep... and for the most part it's worked out much better than the alternative for our family.

I think I see this in my husband in a different way. He struggles to throw anything away - and I know that if I did not help him with this, he would probably be a hoarder, like his mother. I'm not sure if that related or not.

My brother, and two of my cousins and my father are all ASD. Some have other issues, but as a whole I "get" ASD differently than some other people do. I find shows like The Big Bang Theory not only comforting, but hilarious - because it is really a part of the world I grew up in. I don't expect people to act that way outside of the ASD corner of the world.

I do believe there are issues at play here, but it sounds like a trip to the doctor, possibly a couple referrals and some counseling will be in better order than online fora responses.

Yeah, we are going to start the counseling process soon either way. Thanks for your insight.

Upvote 0