Oct 19, 2012
Blackpool
Visit site
✟15,143.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does God have a sense of humour? I imagine so since we were created in his image, yet, we also have this;

Ephesians 5:4
"Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving"

What defines coarse joking? Isn't majority of humour coarse?
God Bless.

Soulgazer

Christian Gnostic
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
✟19,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Probably my favorite piece of early Christian humor comes from the romance Gospel, "Acts of Thomas":

According to the lot, therefore, India fell unto Judas Thomas, which is also the twin: but he would not go, saying that by reason of the weakness of the flesh he could not travel, and 'I am an Hebrew man; how can I go amongst the Indians and preach the truth?' And as he thus reasoned and spake, the Saviour appeared unto him by night and saith to him: Fear not, Thomas, go thou unto India and preach the word there, for my grace is with thee. But he would not obey, saying: Whither thou wouldest send me, send me, but elsewhere, for unto the Indians I will not go.

2 And while he thus spake and thought, it chanced that there was there a certain merchant come from India whose name was Abbanes, sent from the King Gundaphorus [Gundaphorus is a historical personage who reigned over a part of India in the first century after Christ. His coins bear his name in Greek, as Hyndopheres], and having commandment from him to buy a carpenter and bring him unto him.

Now the Lord seeing him walking in the market-place at noon said unto him: Wouldest thou buy a carpenter? And he said to him: Yea. And the Lord said to him: I have a slave that is a carpenter and I desire to sell him. And so saying he showed him Thomas afar off, and agreed with him for three litrae of silver unstamped, and wrote a deed of sale, saying: I, Jesus, the son of Joseph the carpenter, acknowledge that I have sold my slave, Judas by name, unto thee Abbanes, a merchant of Gundaphorus, king of the Indians. And when the deed was finished, the Saviour took Judas Thomas and led him away to Abbanes the merchant, and when Abbanes saw him he said unto him: Is this thy master? And the apostle said: Yea, he is my Lord. And he said: I have bought thee of him. And thy apostle held his peace.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think God must have a sense of humor b/c I get the impression that he laughs at me a lot >_<

As for what define "course" humor I would say anything that is meant to be hurtful or degrade someone.

A lot of people seem to think jokes about sex are "dirty" but I think you have to look at the fact that sex is naturally pretty funny so I don't think a large aspect of our humanity is "dirty" or something not to be spoke of.

As far as "cursing" I think as long as you aren't taking God's name in vain then the rest of what we consider curse words are just arbitrary constructs. We shouldn't have an arbitrary model of morality, but have a deeper sense of morality that understands how our actions affect others, and not call things "sins" that have no negative consequences.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

What defines coarse joking? Isn't majority of humour coarse?
God Bless.

I suppose that the "majority" of humour is course, only because the majority of humanity chooses to be that way. But I don't think that indicates in any way that God would not have a sense of humor. I know plenty of jokes that are not course, vulgar, or mean spirited. It is quite possible that He finds at least some of them funny.

:)

Upvote 0

Senecharnix

The Emissary
Dec 24, 2010
West Carrol Parish, Louisiana
✟8,683.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'd say something that would cause offense/is overly obscene or obscene for obscenity's sake. We can make jokes, but if they would upset somebody, we shouldn't do it.

Some of us are offended by Christian Pharasees throwing the Bible in our faces by parroting scriptures excessively, while promoting their ignorance, delusionary thinking, and false teachings. They should stop it and find something to do that actually pleases God...Reading obscene jokes from them would be far more pleasant than reading their blatherskite...Yes, God has a sense of humor. Otherwise, He would not have given us so many clowns and fools....

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the majority of humour is coarse. I have a lot of good laughs with my friends and we don't joke about coarse or obscene stuff. We keep it clean.

How fortunate for you that your experiences have been such. I hope that continues for you.

:)

Upvote 0